Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 728 729 730 731 732 733 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:01 pm
Yeah, just watched it about an hour ago. Her pipes are as lovely as ever, I see. biggrin

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

"I know, I know there's something I've forgotten, like a time, a place, a shattered memory..."  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:25 pm
Quote:
Thee Stranger Wrote:
SD cards, dude. And Micro SD cards. And memory is really never going to be an issue on the Wii, unless you're downloading a s**t ton of Virtual Console games, which I have. So I have a few of them stored on my 2gig Micro SD card, along with a bunch of PS3 backup saves, and I still have plenty of room left on it. Plus, I got another 4gig Micro SD as backup. It's not like you have all kinds of mandatory installs with your Wii games that take up all kinds of space and force you to upgrade your hard drive the more games you get. I shouldn't have to install games on my console, like it's a frikkin' PC or something.

And now you're complaining about installing games on the consoles. Sure, it's five extra minutes you have to wait, but don't make it sound like it's not worth the game. Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc. Only the consoles have one clear difference: You don't have to buy a new Graphics card every time a new game comes out. That's ultimately my biggest beef with console gaming. That and the fact that no matter how good your system, most of the games won't run 100% perfect. Cinematics will jitter, sounds won't play properly sometimes, inconsistent lag occasionally. They're minor inconveniences, but they're still inconveniences that don't happen on the console. I couldn't care less about installing.
Besides, if you're gonna complain about consoles being like PCs, you should probably start with web browsers, music players and picture storage.

Out of the entire, very fascinating to read I admit, debate you guys are having. This particular note I want to jump in on. Just because a console system doesn't operate entirely like a pc, doesn't mean it isn't a pc. The way those things are built, programed, and installed with graphics cards, it might as well BE a pc. I mean you can even break those things open and upgrade them if you know what you're doing. Bio I see what you're saying about your statement of "installing a graphics card every time a new game comes out", but I think that's kind of exaggerating. I'm guessing you didn't mean it literally, but you'd be surprised how long you can go with one graphics card before you have to get a new one to stay on top of the games out there. The one I have now I could probably go 5 more years before I need to consider getting a new one. And usually by evevery 5 years or so, a new console comes out. And that's replacing an entire system versus replacing just a graphics card.

And the "occasional" lagging or messups you get on pc's? and you think you don't get that on the consoles? I find my consoles to mess up a bit more often than my pc does. Course the running of your pc is determined by a s**t load more than what a console might require. You need RAM and space and etc etc for things to run smoothly, but consoles need most of that too. And 100% smooth runs? The games I play like RE 5 and Assassin's Creed and DMC 4, FEAR, hell even Half Life run at top condition. And some of those games require pretty high graphics to run at 100% without lag. I've had my gfx card for well over to years now as well so I don't know the full end detail of your PC gaming experience, but I can tell you for sure that PC runs just as great as the consoles, most of the time even better.

Quote:
Still, dude. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't put some actual EFFORT into those avatars. They don't have to look real, but the faces could at least have SHAPES to them. And the arms could at least be attached to the body. There's no excuses, dude. It's just lazy.

I have to admit, even the avatars on the 360 have a bit more "body" to the avi's then the Wii does. But you know, maybe they were trying to put their own style to it, even if its a bit more downgraded. As big of a fan as I am of customization of really anything in a game, sometimes I don't think its necessary because they are just avi's after all.

Canas- hoooooooooo my GOOOOOOD XD that Silent Hill obsession is slowly coming back.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 am
Biohazard EXTREME
I still think it's a fad. Maybe one that stuck, but to me, motion controls are a gimmick. Seriously, whenever I do hear, "unique new thing" the word 'fad' always comes to mind.

Yeah? Well, we'll see about that. Fads don't stick.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, feel free to call bullshit on me, cause I'm not gonna bother looking for proof, cause I'm tired. But as far as I know, Sony was working on a rumble controller before Nintendo, Nintendo just got there a little faster.

Okay: Bullshit.
If you're not gonna bother with proof, don't brother bringing it up either.

Biohazard EXTREME
And yet, in oh so many cases, the motion controls can actually take AWAY from the immersion. Let's face it in a lot of cases, third (or even first) party games just don't get it right. It's like that PS2 game, Lifeline, where you tell the character what to do using the microphone like you're instructing her from another room. It's a great idea, but it was a difficult undertaking, and it wasn't pulled off well. Like so many games you mentioned. In fact, honestly, I think that's part of what kind of turned me off of Zelda Twilight Princess, is that the slashing mechanics were so imprecise, you're just randomly swinging back and forth and watch as Link does his out of sync moves. I mean, it was done well. Just not amazingly great... The thing about a controller is... When it's done right, you basically have to feel one with the controller, like you feel when you're driving a car, you become a part of the vehicle you drive.
And even in one of Nintendo's cash cows, Zelda, I didn't feel like the motion controls were a part of me. Mind you, Wii Sports actually did that well. So it's not impossible.

Yeah, some games don't get the motion controls right. And some games don't get the standard controls right either. So what's your point? And maybe the reason that Twilight Princess was 'done well, but not amazingly great' as you put it, is because it was a launch title, and they didn't have all the kinks worked out yet. It was very new technology at the time. Madworld, for instance, came later, and it did it better. Anyway, lots of launch s**t didn't get it right, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. And how many PS3 games looked like Uncharted 2 when it first came out? That's just what happens with new technology that developers haven't completely learned the inside out yet. And the Motion Plus now definitely helps. The Wii's graphics are steadily improving as well. Of course, it will never be on PS3/360 level, but they're getting better.

Biohazard EXTREME
Wait, explain this to me... How do you play Wii Fit without a balance board? Doesn't the Wii need to know when you're tipping over, or whatever?

No, no. You misunderstand me. You need the balance board for just about everything. What I'm saying is, all the exercises that are included in Wii Fit... you could do all of that s**t without a Wii Fit, as none of the exercises require any equipment or anything. But the game acts as your coach, and a coach helps a lot.

Biohazard EXTREME
But they aren't implementing it. How many Wii games out threre, best sellers, that only sell because of how fun the use of the Wii remote is? And yet, somehow, the one game that's supposed to be about crazy fun, what some people consider Wii's biggest killer app, Super Smash Bros, doesn't even make use of the motion controls. How does that even make sense? What, were they just too lazy to program the motion controls?

Motion controls just couldn't work with something like Brawl.
*sigh* and again, there's plenty of Wii games that implement storytelling. The controls rarely have anything to do with the storytelling aspect of a game anyway.

Biohazard EXTREME
And now you're complaining about installing games on the consoles. Sure, it's five extra minutes you have to wait, but don't make it sound like it's not worth the game. Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc. Only the consoles have one clear difference: You don't have to buy a new Graphics card every time a new game comes out. That's ultimately my biggest beef with console gaming. That and the fact that no matter how good your system, most of the games won't run 100% perfect. Cinematics will jitter, sounds won't play properly sometimes, inconsistent lag occasionally. They're minor inconveniences, but they're still inconveniences that don't happen on the console. I couldn't care less about installing. Besides, if you're gonna complain about consoles being like PCs, you should probably start with web browsers, music players and picture storage.

Well, you're the one getting on the Wii's storage. xd Don't get all offended. I never said it wasn't worth the game, just that it's a giant pain in the d**k. And is a BIG reason why people have to upgrade their hard drives to hold more space. The more games you buy and have to install, the more that standard 60gig hard disk isn't gonna cut it anymore. And I could easily complain about the web browsers, music players and picture storage. Especially since the browsers for all the systems really suck. Now I have a cellphone that has just as good of a browser as my PC, and likewise, a cellphone is a much more practical place for my pictures or my music. Or an MP3 player. The only pictures I have on my PS3 are some of the ones I took in Metal Gear Online. Other than that, the feature is pretty much useless to me. In all honesty though, that stuff doesn't bother me. s**t like that can be convenient, as I actually had to fall back on the console browsers when my laptop s**t the bed a while back. Mandatory Installs, however, are not convenient. And the big perk for consoles, to me, in the past anyway, was that I didn't have to go through all that install hassle just to play a game. You popped it in, and there it was. Consoles are becoming more like PCs, and that has its pros and cons, like anything else.

Biohazard EXTREME
Would you rather buy Modern Warfare on the Wii, or on PS3/360/PC? Cause even when I had the Wii, I said, "You're probably gonna be able to play Ghostbusters by pointing and shooting with the remote. But I'd rather get it for the PS3 anyway, because it's probably gonna be the more complete experience. If I have to choose, I'll take graphics over motion controls." Not graphics over gameplay, mind you. And that's just the thing... I'm not saying the PS3 is the pinnacle of gaming, but what, does that mean the Wii is? Are motion controllers really that revolutionary and far out there, that the Wii is on some pedestal of video gaming experience? I don't think so. You could have just as much fun with a well designed game on the PS3, as with a well designed game on the Wii. And the motion controls don't put it ahead. They might give you something different, and if you're looking for a change in gameplay experience, it might be refreshing. But I wouldn't say motion controls are BETTER than a normal controller. They're an alternative at most.

Yes, if I was interested in it to begin with, I would probably rather buy Modern Warfare on the PS3/360/PC. However, FPS's, in particular, are a really good time with motion controls. That was never the point anyway, though. If you remember what we were talking about, it all came out to the "Today's casual; tomorrow's hardcore" thing. And what you were basically getting at is that Wii is like your training wheels with nothing but shitty casual kiddy games before you mature enough to move on to real, hardcore games, like Modern Warfare. And what I was pointing out was that those people already have access to that kind of s**t on the Wii. So they can move on to s**t like that on the Wii. So no, "Today's Wii is not tomorrow's PS3". But then again, I guess it is. Since the PS3 is totally ripping off the Wii's controls. Get it?

And yes, there was a not-so-subtle jab at the PS3 in there. You never outright said the PS3 is the pinnacle of gaming, but, you may as well be saying that. You already have said that a few posts back, in so many words. And all I'm saying is that if Sony was so goddamn great and Nintendo was so goddamn shitty kiddy, Sony wouldn't have to copy them all the ********' time. And you know what? Nintendo actually makes ******** videogames. Good videogames. Sony don't make s**t. They make hardware. And then they steal hardware Nintendo creates. And I don't hate PlayStation; I love all the ******** PlayStations. But I can't ********' stand Sony fanboys who rip on Nintendo and constantly drag them through the dirt, especially when they're reaping the benefits of Nintendo's creations on their Sony consoles. But, whatever.

And look, I made a point at the very onset of this thing that motion controls are NOT better; that they are a fun alternative. I'm not even going into this again.

Biohazard EXTREME
Exactly! So it's not like little kids NEED the Wii to get into video games.

I don't recall ever saying that they did. The Wii tries to be a family entertainment system that everybody from your uncle to your girlfriend that normally don't have any interest in videogames at all, can pick up and play and have fun with, while still offering the "core" games for the standard gamer. And both PS3 and 360 have their fair share of kiddy s**t, too. Maybe not as much, but it's there. So can we finally come off the whole kiddy bullshit now?

Biohazard EXTREME
I mean, maybe their mom can't afford a PS3, and she gets the Wii (which, as far as I'm concerned, you get what you pay for), but does that mean that the kid will never play another console? That kid will eventually get a job and get a 360 or a PS3 anyway.

That kid will get whatever is in keeping with his own personal taste. Not everybody is you. You can obviously see that I'm a full-grown adult, and I like the Wii. I like the Nintendo s**t. So does Canas, so does Chase; so do plenty of kids, so do plenty of adults. Now, I also like the PS3/360 s**t too. That's because I like variety.

Biohazard EXTREME
That's the thing. You might say "The Wii isn't a support system" but statistically speaking, it largely is. Most people who own a Wii, own it alongside another console/slew of PC games.

Well, going by that logic, then the PS3 and the 360 are support systems too, as I own them alongside my Wii and a slew of other games for a bunch of other different systems. By that logic, every console is a ******** support system. And maybe the reason that so many people own a Wii alongside the other thing, is because the Wii outsold the other two consoles. So inevitably, a Wii is sooner going to end up alongside people's s**t than anything else. And those who own it and think of it as a support system are probably too busy with their other console (because they prefer it) to be bothered with expanding their horizons with their Wii, and really looking at all the different s**t that it has to offer. So in that regard, the Wii is only a support system if you want it to be.

Biohazard EXTREME
Still, dude. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't put some actual EFFORT into those avatars. They don't have to look real, but the faces could at least have SHAPES to them. And the arms could at least be attached to the body. There's no excuses, dude. It's just lazy.

*sigh*... It's just a ******** avatar, dude. The faces do have SHAPES to them.

Biohazard EXTREME
Out of those,
Red Steel
No More Heroes
The Conduit
Fatal Frame 4
Cursed Mountain
RE
House of the Dead
Dead Space

...are the only exclusives. And out of those, I know for a fact that Red Steel, plus majority of the non-exclusives that you mentioned fall into the ol' "We tried implementing motion controls, we just really suck at it."

...are the only exclusives. ********. Does that mean that the new Silent Hill is going to be any less of a game when you play it on your PS2 or PSP, because it's also on Wii? And how many of those awesome PS3 games you're playing are pure exclusives that aren't on the 360, too? And how many of those games play worse on the PS3, because the game was designed for 360, and then ported over to the PS3 with more bugs and graphical hiccups? Aside from MGS4 and Uncharted, what's so great? Killzone 2? It's pretty much nothing more than your standard Call of Duty. Nice graphics, but certainly nothing remarkable. And I already know that among your big, whopping three essentials that two of them were also on the 360. So you really had only ONE exclusive essential for your PS3. So don't even throw that bullshit at me.

I was only pointing out the fact that the Wii offers plenty of mature-themed, non-casual, non-"kiddy" games that are free from the ravages of the oh so "crappy art direction". But that doesn't matter, you're just gonna take the piss out of anything I say:
"Here's a big list of non-casual games for Wii that don't have a kiddy art direction."
"Well, that doesn't matter. They all suck a** anyway, because they have motion controls *takes a big, wet s**t* PS3!"

Really. And how many of those games have you actually played, Bio? I bet Red Steel is the only one, if any. And yeah, Red Steel definitely had some problems, but I still liked it. It was a pretty good game, and I can't wait for the sequel, which should correct those problems. So give me the run-down of the majority of exclusives I listed that fail at motion controls so hard? I mean, the ones you actually ******** played or know anything about, of course. What, did the IGN guy tell you that? Didn't you say their reviews sucked? Oh, and you're missing one: Madworld is exclusive.

Biohazard EXTREME
But the Wii went for a whole different approach, which you seem really fond of. It decided to change the gameplay instead of improving on the graphics. So how are you supposed to compare them? "So, another reason we don't need another generation of consoles is because they already have amazing visual detail... Except Wii, it has revolutionary controls." I mean, that's like saying, "Here's the reason why we don't need any more upgrades to our airplanes... And helicopter."

Yeah, the Wii took a whole different approach. But it's still a next gen videogame console, regardless of its differences. And since those airplanes are now trying to be like the helicopter, I'd say that qualifies. And you know, it'd be one thing if they just excluded it because they thought it was too different. But here we got this article going over all the reasons we don't need the next-gen, and the new motion controls for the PS3/360 is listed as one of them. Then at the end, it slams the Wii and its new approach that the other consoles are now emulating. "Next-gen defining gameplay... anyone else wanna smash this little nigglet upside the head with his own balance board?" But hey, look at this new d***o wand for PS3, complete with glowing balls! Awesome!

Yeah. The guy who wrote that article is a fanboy douchebag.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I don't know which games you played with motion plus. But Wii Sports Resort didn't seem any more accurate than Wii Sports. Yes, now it's got a Z-axis, so it detects when you're closer or further from the sensor bar... But that's something it should've had in the first place.

I agree. The Wiimote should have been like the Motion Plus to begin with. Aaaand that's all I agree with. Moving on.

Biohazard EXTREME
And you know, maybe Sony's motion control idea is a ripoff of the Wii. And frankly, I don't think they're denying it. But the fact is, soon the PS3 will have motion controls and amazing graphics. Which techonologically puts it ahead of the Wii. Someone will say, "I want a game where you can actually swing the controller like you would a sword." And they'll say, "Okay. By the way, would you like good graphics, or amazing graphics?"

Maybe Sony's motion controls are a ripoff...?
Yup, yup. And if they want the amazing graphics, and they don't give a rat's a** about the Nintendo exclusives, or they haven't already been converted to the Wii, it would be best for that person to go with the PS3. And have fun with Nintendo's invention, guys. You're welcome. =) Maybe we'll see have a PS3 Sports soon, with less cartoony avatars. Then all will be right with the world.

Biohazard EXTREME
I don't really keep up with Killzone. But the very first teaser for MGS4 came out only a few months after MGS3. And after that, they kept feeding us with constant footage, trailers, gameplay demonstrations, etc. etc. etc. It's been 3 years, and only now they announce the new Zelda. For all we know, it won't be coming for another 3 years. I mean, Wind Waker aside, the only non cel-shaded, non uber stylized Zelda that the GameCube got was its swan song. Heck, it wouldn't shock me if Nintendo was on the verge of releasing their new generation console by the time the new Zelda comes out.

Well, Nintendo is usually stingy on the screenshots and the game footage until release. People also were complaining a lot when Nintendo wasn't revealing hardly anything in regards to the Revolution. But just between you and me, I think a big reason for that is... people steal their ideas. wink

But truthfully, in all honesty, I was kind of disappointed about that, too. I had no problems with Wind Waker, mind you. But I was really looking forward to Twilight Princess on the 'Cube for a very long time... only for them to come back and pull the plug, and make it Wii-only. Then they released it on Gamecube a little while after it came out on the Wii, and "flippped" it. It was worth the wait, but yeah. I'd like to see a new Zelda that's specifically designed for the Wii. Not just a slightly enhanced Gamecube port. Oh well, pobody's nerfect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:51 am
Thee Stranger
Yeah? Well, we'll see about that. Fads don't stick.

Fine, gimmick, then.

Thee Stranger

Okay: Bullshit.
If you're not gonna bother with proof, don't brother bringing it up either.

Well, Nintendo's Rumble Pak, and Sony's Dual Analog with Rumble were released on the same month. So it's really hard to say who started working on it first, but either way, it's not like Sony saw it and said, "We need to make something like it." I mean, inFamous and Prototype were released around the same time, does that mean that one ripped the idea off the other?
Either way, I do remember hearing at school that Sony began their development of rumble before Nintendo.

Thee Stranger
Yeah, some games don't get the motion controls right. And some games don't get the standard controls right either. So what's your point? And maybe the reason that Twilight Princess was 'done well, but not amazingly great' as you put it, is because it was a launch title, and they didn't have all the kinks worked out yet. It was very new technology at the time. Madworld, for instance, came later, and it did it better. Anyway, lots of launch s**t didn't get it right, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. And how many PS3 games looked like Uncharted 2 when it first came out? That's just what happens with new technology that developers haven't completely learned the inside out yet. And the Motion Plus now definitely helps. The Wii's graphics are steadily improving as well. Of course, it will never be on PS3/360 level, but they're getting better.
My point is, imagine if the Wii never happened, and we got a perfectly polished GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Sure, it'd be just a normal controller, but maybe it'd be a more immersive experience. In fact, now that we're talking about this, I might want to give Twilight Princess another spin. On the GameCube this time.

Thee Stranger

No, no. You misunderstand me. You need the balance board for just about everything. What I'm saying is, all the exercises that are included in Wii Fit... you could do all of that s**t without a Wii Fit, as none of the exercises require any equipment or anything. But the game acts as your coach, and a coach helps a lot.

Okay, that's fair. And hey, I'm not gonna get into this, just because I don't give enough s**t to write a big paragraph about it. But as far as the whole, "Games used for excercise" thing, the Eye Toy did it first. And I'm sure there was probably something even before that. Oh, DDR, for example. So don't tell me that Nintendo is 100% original, and everyone else isn't.

Thee Stranger

Motion controls just couldn't work with something like Brawl.
*sigh* and again, there's plenty of Wii games that implement storytelling. The controls rarely have anything to do with the storytelling aspect of a game anyway.

Well like I said, used improperly, they can ruin the immersion. And honestly, one of the things that actually ruins the immersion is that little speaker in the remote. I mean, yes, it puts out sound. But it's not even good quality sound. It's a tiny little speaker that can't possibly sound as well as it would on the bigger TV. And to me, it only reminded me, that I'm holding a white plastick controller, and not a gun/sword.
And dude, 'implement storytelling' is a vague term. I mean, Mario implements storytelling. But that doesn't make it a deep and emotional narrative. And that's the case with lots of games. I mean, even Mario PARTY games have a little storyline to go with them. But it's just filler for the gameplay. And that's the case with lots of Wii games.
And again, you need to stop taking me for such an extremist. When I say, "Wii has a whole bunch of shovelware." I'm not saying that it's ALL shovelware. When I say, "Wii caters to little kids," I'm not saying, EVERY game does that. I mean, you mentioned some... There was Madworld, and Madworld, and uhh.. oh yeah, did you remember to mention Madworld?
Seriously, you don't need to keep hammering it in. I get it. Madworld is a well designed, well implemented, mature game that has a distinct sense of style and uniqueness.
I'm just saying, the Wii could use a few more Madworlds. And screw the mature part even. I mean, aside from Nintendo's first party games. How many third party Wii games made for kids, actually offer a deep and engaging plot, with interesting characters? And ones that are also well built and successful.
All I ever hear is, "Animal Crossing" this and "Raving Rabbids" that. And that's why most middle aged people nowadays see games as nothing more than a toy, and refuse to acknowledge video games as the new generation of audio-visual media. And even an art form.

Thee Stranger
Well, you're the one getting on the Wii's storage. xd Don't get all offended. I never said it wasn't worth the game, just that it's a giant pain in the d**k. And is a BIG reason why people have to upgrade their hard drives to hold more space. The more games you buy and have to install, the more that standard 60gig hard disk isn't gonna cut it anymore. And I could easily complain about the web browsers, music players and picture storage. Especially since the browsers for all the systems really suck. Now I have a cellphone that has just as good of a browser as my PC, and likewise, a cellphone is a much more practical place for my pictures or my music. Or an MP3 player. The only pictures I have on my PS3 are some of the ones I took in Metal Gear Online. Other than that, the feature is pretty much useless to me. In all honesty though, that stuff doesn't bother me. s**t like that can be convenient, as I actually had to fall back on the console browsers when my laptop s**t the bed a while back. Mandatory Installs, however, are not convenient. And the big perk for consoles, to me, in the past anyway, was that I didn't have to go through all that install hassle just to play a game. You popped it in, and there it was. Consoles are becoming more like PCs, and that has its pros and cons, like anything else.

Hey, I wasn't trying to be a jerk when I said, "Correct me if I'm wrong." I honestly didn't know that you could store Wii games on an SD card. What keeps a guy from putting all his games on an SD card and giving that card to another friend to play all his games?

I don't really care about install. Frankly, as I mentioned before, which I'm gonna address ElenaMason later on, about PC games not performing as smoothly as on the consoles. That's the only reason I prefer the consoles. That and I prefer a good controller over the WASD/Mouse combo. Install never bothered me.

Thee Stranger

Yes, if I was interested in it to begin with, I would probably rather buy Modern Warfare on the PS3/360/PC. However, FPS's, in particular, are a really good time with motion controls. That was never the point anyway, though. If you remember what we were talking about, it all came out to the "Today's casual; tomorrow's hardcore" thing. And what you were basically getting at is that Wii is like your training wheels with nothing but shitty casual kiddy games before you mature enough to move on to real, hardcore games, like Modern Warfare. And what I was pointing out was that those people already have access to that kind of s**t on the Wii. So they can move on to s**t like that on the Wii. So no, "Today's Wii is not tomorrow's PS3". But then again, I guess it is. Since the PS3 is totally ripping off the Wii's controls. Get it?

Thee Stranger

I don't recall ever saying that they did. The Wii tries to be a family entertainment system that everybody from your uncle to your girlfriend that normally don't have any interest in videogames at all, can pick up and play and have fun with, while still offering the "core" games for the standard gamer. And both PS3 and 360 have their fair share of kiddy s**t, too. Maybe not as much, but it's there. So can we finally come off the whole kiddy bullshit now?

And PS3 owners have access to plenty of fun, casual games on the PS Network. And forget Sony. Even the 360 is going out of its way right now with their new Ad Campaign, to emphasize that the Xbox 360 is perfect for wholesome family fun. Which it can be. As can the PS3, as can the Wii. Each system has something that it's better at than the other, but all in all, they all have at least a some of what the other system excels at.
Like, the Wii has SOME mature games with deep storylines. But it does not excel at them.

Thee Stranger

And yes, there was a not-so-subtle jab at the PS3 in there. You never outright said the PS3 is the pinnacle of gaming, but, you may as well be saying that. You already have said that a few posts back, in so many words. And all I'm saying is that if Sony was so goddamn great and Nintendo was so goddamn shitty kiddy, Sony wouldn't have to copy them all the ********' time. And you know what? Nintendo actually makes ******** videogames. Good videogames. Sony don't make s**t. They make hardware. And then they steal hardware Nintendo creates. And I don't hate PlayStation; I love all the ******** PlayStations. But I can't ********' stand Sony fanboys who rip on Nintendo and constantly drag them through the dirt, especially when they're reaping the benefits of Nintendo's creations on their Sony consoles. But, whatever.

Umm... Are you saying that Sony doesn't make games? Sony owns more developing studios than Nintendo and Microsoft combined (17 last time I checked) and most of Sony's 1st party games usually end up getting 8+ ratings and being very successful. So don't give me that, "Sony doesn't make games" s**t. It's not like the same guy who works on the Wii consle, ends up working on its games afterwards. Nintendo also has its own studios that have whole separate teams of people to make those games. So does Microsoft. And like I said, so does Sony.

Thee Stranger

And look, I made a point at the very onset of this thing that motion controls are NOT better; that they are a fun alternative. I'm not even going into this again.

Well, when you oh so sarcastically said that, "Sony is the pinnacle of gaming", it kinda sounded like you were implying that the Wii actually was. Which would mean Motion controls are above and beyond the standard gamepad. So I was just clarifying.

Thee Stranger
That kid will get whatever is in keeping with his own personal taste. Not everybody is you. You can obviously see that I'm a full-grown adult, and I like the Wii. I like the Nintendo s**t. So does Canas, so does Chase; so do plenty of kids, so do plenty of adults. Now, I also like the PS3/360 s**t too. That's because I like variety.

And again, you're saying it like you don't actually get a variety of games on either console. Because the PS3 doesn't get any family or casual games. And because the 360 is nothing BUT testosterone filled first person shooters, right?
Now, if you're a fan of the Nintendo games, that's great. If you really love Mario, Metroid, Zelda etc. Then that's why you bought the Wii and it's fine.
But most of the people buy it FOR the casual games with a good use of motion controls. And yes, when they get older, they'll have some decent mature titles to play on the Wii. But there still aren't enough of them.
And let's say, for example, that there's a kid out there who doesn't think Resident Evil 4 is a steaming pile of s**t. (God knows there's plenty). So he plays through the Chronicles, through RE4. And says, "What's next? Well I don't know what's next because RE5 was never released on the Wii. Well, off to buy 360/PS3!"

Which all comes back to the whole storytelling conversation and not enough games conversation. Like I said, storyline is very important to me. And not just within a game, but in the big picture aspect too. Look at Tomb Raider. They have Tomb Raider Legend, and Anniversary. And then they release Underworld, it flops, and people say, "Well, it didn't offer anything new or innovative, so what's the point of even releasing it?" Maybe because Tomb Raider Legend left on a cliffhanger, dipshit. (Hehe, Tomb Raider is always a cliffhanger.) Same thing with the new Ratchet and Clank. They say with Crack in Time, "Well, the game didn't bring anything new to the genre, it's just more of the same." Well, it needed a conclusion! You can't just leave a franchise hanging and then say, "We're done." That's what people don't get.
And frankly, I do NOT want to see the Resident Evil 4 treatment on any other franchise.
But innovations in gameplay aside.
My point is that the Wii has Silent Hill, Fatal Frame 4, Resident Evil, Dead Space Extraction etc. Parts of franchises that mostly thrive on other systems. That's an incomplete experience. And when a casual gamer turns into a hardcore gamer(The good kind, like us. Not the kind that has to be on top of every online leader board.) that's when they start caring about the overall plot, and will be saying, "Well, I guess I'll be getting another console now, because I have to find out what happens next/happened before."

Thee Stranger
Well, going by that logic, then the PS3 and the 360 are support systems too, as I own them alongside my Wii and a slew of other games for a bunch of other different systems. By that logic, every console is a ******** support system. And maybe the reason that so many people own a Wii alongside the other thing, is because the Wii outsold the other two consoles. So inevitably, a Wii is sooner going to end up alongside people's s**t than anything else. And those who own it and think of it as a support system are probably too busy with their other console (because they prefer it) to be bothered with expanding their horizons with their Wii, and really looking at all the different s**t that it has to offer. So in that regard, the Wii is only a support system if you want it to be.
Dude, like I said, I TRIED looking for stuff on the Wii that I'd like. And obviously there was gonna be more games coming out in the future that hadn't been announced yet, like your beloved Madworld. But at the time, I got rid of my Wii, I played the s**t out of it for the first three months, and the next three months it sat there gathering dust because there were some awesome PS3 and PSP games coming out that I had to play, meanwhile one title that I was only KINDA interested in (No More Heroes) was getting delayed.
And even then... I mean, look at Dead Space. It was my most anticipated title of fall of 2008. I was so disappointed with it. I mean, if I bought a PS3 and that was the ONLY title I was looking forward to on the whole system, I probably would've gotten rid of my PS3. So it's not like I was gonna sit there HOPING that the game I kinda want is gonna turn out good (which, at the time, was an unsure bet with the Wii). So when you say people don't broaden their horizons, I hope you don't mean me.

Thee Stranger
*sigh*... It's just a ******** avatar, dude. The faces do have SHAPES to them.

It would be just an avatar, if that avatar wasn't actually used IN the game like Wii Sports. Which has some nice levels, especially the golf course. So it's not like they're only used as avatars to recognize your friends online. They're pretty much game characters in themselves. There should've been some effort put into them. Some style to them, or something. I mean, Katamari has fairly simplistic style too. But it's style. The Miis have no style. And again, if avatars is all they were, I wouldn't give a crap. But Wii sports is a game. A game with extremely bad character design.

Thee Stranger
...are the only exclusives. ********. Does that mean that the new Silent Hill is going to be any less of a game when you play it on your PS2 or PSP, because it's also on Wii? And how many of those awesome PS3 games you're playing are pure exclusives that aren't on the 360, too? And how many of those games play worse on the PS3, because the game was designed for 360, and then ported over to the PS3 with more bugs and graphical hiccups? Aside from MGS4 and Uncharted, what's so great? Killzone 2? It's pretty much nothing more than your standard Call of Duty. Nice graphics, but certainly nothing remarkable. And I already know that among your big, whopping three essentials that two of them were also on the 360. So you really had only ONE exclusive essential for your PS3. So don't even throw that bullshit at me.
Well, I usually judge a system by its exclusives. What does it offer that other systems don't? And yes, the PS3 only had one essential exclusive, but that was enough for me to choose it over the 360. But it still had plenty of other exclusives that were really good games. And obviously since games like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and inFamous don't have any predecessors, so I can't say, "I must have that game" because my essentials are only sequels. Now, when I saw Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, I said, "Those games look awesome. I'll definitely be getting them, when I get my PS3."
And frankly, if I went to a friend's house and played some Uncharted there, it would've made it a killer ap for me.
But I got my PS3 before Uncharted, so that doesn't really matter.
Oh, I also forgot to mention God of War 3, which became an essential after I made a conscious decision to get a PS3, but before I actually got it. That's why I didn't include it.
And just to answer your question:
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty
Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time
Disgaea 3
And of course, Metal Gear Solid 4

Those are the awesome exclusives I'm playing.
And I can think of like 15 other titles that are all great, just aren't in my collection, because I either don't much care for the genre, or I just haven't gotten around to picking them up.

Thee Stranger
I was only pointing out the fact that the Wii offers plenty of mature-themed, non-casual, non-"kiddy" games that are free from the ravages of the oh so "crappy art direction". But that doesn't matter, you're just gonna take the piss out of anything I say:
"Here's a big list of non-casual games for Wii that don't have a kiddy art direction."
"Well, that doesn't matter. They all suck a** anyway, because they have motion controls *takes a big, wet s**t* PS3!"

Really. And how many of those games have you actually played, Bio? I bet Red Steel is the only one, if any. And yeah, Red Steel definitely had some problems, but I still liked it. It was a pretty good game, and I can't wait for the sequel, which should correct those problems. So give me the run-down of the majority of exclusives I listed that fail at motion controls so hard? I mean, the ones you actually ******** played or know anything about, of course. What, did the IGN guy tell you that? Didn't you say their reviews sucked?

Why would you even bring up IGN? No, I didn't play most of them, but I do read the details of the reviews. The kind that say the controls were jittery or whatever. If a review says, "Well, the game isn't good because it plays like RPGs did in the 90s," yes, I'm gonna say, "******** you, the 90's had the best RPGs." But when they say, "The game is actually broken. The controls don't respond the way they should," how is that not a reasonable argument.
Why is it okay for Red Steel to no function properly, but not okay for games like Lair? Which actually wasn't nearly as bad as people say.

Thee Stranger
Yeah, the Wii took a whole different approach. But it's still a next gen videogame console, regardless of its differences. And since those airplanes are now trying to be like the helicopter, I'd say that qualifies. And you know, it'd be one thing if they just excluded it because they thought it was too different. But here we got this article going over all the reasons we don't need the next-gen, and the new motion controls for the PS3/360 is listed as one of them. Then at the end, it slams the Wii and its new approach that the other consoles are now emulating. "Next-gen defining gameplay... anyone else wanna smash this little nigglet upside the head with his own balance board?" But hey, look at this new d***o wand for PS3, complete with glowing balls! Awesome!

Yeah. The guy who wrote that article is a fanboy douchebag.
First of all, again, the article was an editorial, which means he's allowed to state his opinion.
And yes, dude... That's another thing... If I (or any one else with a PS3) say, "The Wii sucks, I don't like it." why the hell does that immediately make me a Sony fanboy??? I mean, what am I not allowed to have a damn opinion anymore? I like Sony as a company because they never failed me in terms of hardware. I know that doesn't apply to all, but it applies to me, and that's what my opinion is based on.
I respect Nintendo, but don't really like the Wii, because when I bought it it was gathering dust. That doesn't apply to everyone, but it applies to me. That's what I base my opinion on. Personal knowledge and experience.
I believe you that the Wii has some interesting mature games. But most of the games you listed are either ports that I can get nicer versions of on the PS3, or franchises that I'm not interested in.
I mean, I can say, "Such and such game sucked because it had no storyline" you can say, "It's still a fun game, so who cares about the story?" I say, "I care about the story. The game doesn't have what I'm looking for, so as far as I'm concerned, it sucks."
I mean, you can say, "It's all objective" and it is. But does being objective make it invalid? If I say I like Resident Evil movies because they gave me what I'm looking for, and avoided what I'm NOT looking for" does that not make it a valid opinion, just because you don't feel the same way?
So the guy isn't a fan of the Wii. It's not as if he said, "The PS3 doesn't need another generation, and everything else does." That WOULD make him a Sony fanboy. But he gave the PS3 and the 360 the same treatment. And if he doesn't like the Wii, like I said, it's an editorial, which makes it opinion based. I mean, look at the whole article. ElanaMason said, "I can't wait to see video games with characters that look indistinguishable from live action" which means development times and costs aside, she thinks we DO need another generation. So it's not as if the article is absolute, and non-opinion based. So if the guy doesn't consider the Wii on the same level as 360 and PS3, he has the right to make the article as it is.
Frankly, if I was to write an article like that, I probably wouldn't include the Wii either. Because I can see Nintendo making another generation, and if I remember correctly, Nintendo already said they were working on something.
Why don't you make the article and include the Wii in it, since you're so all accepting?

Thee Stranger
Maybe Sony's motion controls are a ripoff...?
Yup, yup. And if they want the amazing graphics, and they don't give a rat's a** about the Nintendo exclusives, or they haven't already been converted to the Wii, it would be best for that person to go with the PS3. And have fun with Nintendo's invention, guys. You're welcome. =) Maybe we'll see have a PS3 Sports soon, with less cartoony avatars. Then all will be right with the world.
Umm... It was Nintendo's IDEA. Sony's using their own technology which is completely different from Nintendo's. So technically, Sony might've ripped off the idea, but it's their own innovation.
And one could argue that it started with the Eye Toy, which evolved into the PS Eye. And the new motion controllers are just an extension of the PS eye. So in a way, Sony is only adding the motion controls to technology ideas and innovation that were already theirs. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't give a s**t. It is what it is.
I mean, I don't rip on Xbox 360 saying that Project NATAL is a ripoff of the PlayStation Eye. So get over it.

ElenaMason
Out of the entire, very fascinating to read I admit, debate you guys are having. This particular note I want to jump in on. Just because a console system doesn't operate entirely like a pc, doesn't mean it isn't a pc. The way those things are built, programed, and installed with graphics cards, it might as well BE a pc. I mean you can even break those things open and upgrade them if you know what you're doing. Bio I see what you're saying about your statement of "installing a graphics card every time a new game comes out", but I think that's kind of exaggerating. I'm guessing you didn't mean it literally, but you'd be surprised how long you can go with one graphics card before you have to get a new one to stay on top of the games out there. The one I have now I could probably go 5 more years before I need to consider getting a new one. And usually by evevery 5 years or so, a new console comes out. And that's replacing an entire system versus replacing just a graphics card.

Well, I was exaggerating. But still, I bet when Crysis came out, everyone who wanted it had to upgrade. And buying a new graphics card, more ram, whatever, is almost, if not just as pricy as buying a new console.

ElenaMason

And the "occasional" lagging or messups you get on pc's? and you think you don't get that on the consoles? I find my consoles to mess up a bit more often than my pc does. Course the running of your pc is determined by a s**t load more than what a console might require. You need RAM and space and etc etc for things to run smoothly, but consoles need most of that too. And 100% smooth runs? The games I play like RE 5 and Assassin's Creed and DMC 4, FEAR, hell even Half Life run at top condition. And some of those games require pretty high graphics to run at 100% without lag. I've had my gfx card for well over to years now as well so I don't know the full end detail of your PC gaming experience, but I can tell you for sure that PC runs just as great as the consoles, most of the time even better.

When I say occasional, though. I mean, occasional game. Not all games have jittery cinematics, not all games have glitches, etc. But the ones that do, have them consistently. If you play a PC game, and the cinematics play slowly, they'll ALWAYS play slowly on that particular computer.

And unless it's an unpolished third party game, usually it runs pefrectly on consoles, in terms of playing cinematics, and not having glitches. I mean, some games have glitches because of bad programming. But sometimes, you try a game on one PC, it'll glitch, and on another it won't, and they'll only have minor differences.

And sometimes... Take Silent Hill 2 for example. Silent Hill 2 came out on Pc in December of 2002. And I have tried it on EVERY PC I've ever had, including my past 2 computers which are lightyears ahead of what they had back in 2002. And still, it lags. Even on the lowest graphic setting, it lags. It just lags.

But generally speaking, if your games don't run perfectly on your consoles, and the disks AREN'T scratched.. Then I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with your console. Cause all my PS3 games run perfectly on my PS3. All my PS2 games ran perfectly on my PS2. And my non-scratched PS1 games ran pefrectly on my PS1. Same with my PSP.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Alkaizer87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 am
@.@ Um.....wow so muches words, that it's making my brain type ba grammar. Yeah i'll just post something un-related to what you guys are talking about.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm
This has nothing to do with the debate raging on, btw. This is just coincidence...

RE3 is now on the US PSN store. Looks like they kept their promise. biggrin

However, just to keep it fair, Nintendo just announced that the Wii is the fastest-selling console in the UK... ever.  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:31 pm
Alkaizer87
@.@ Um.....wow so muches words, that it's making my brain type ba grammar. Yeah i'll just post something un-related to what you guys are talking about.

Sorry, dudes. I'm using the small font in an effort to cut down my walls, but it's not doing a whole hell of a lot of good. Perhaps somebody should open a great debate subforum or something when stuff like this gets out of hand, as to cut down on the clutter in the Grill and promote more friendly, casual conversation. And now, here we go again.

Biohazard EXTREME
Fine, gimmick, then.

Fine. And your gimmick groups need the practice.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, Nintendo's Rumble Pak, and Sony's Dual Analog with Rumble were released on the same month. So it's really hard to say who started working on it first, but either way, it's not like Sony saw it and said, "We need to make something like it." I mean, inFamous and Prototype were released around the same time, does that mean that one ripped the idea off the other? Either way, I do remember hearing at school that Sony began their development of rumble before Nintendo.

When I first read this, I really wanted to know where you were pulling this out of your a** from, because I remember the Rumple Pak being around for quite a while before we ever saw the Dualshock. So I looked into it. And Sony's Dual Analog WITHOUT the rumble feature came in April of 1997, the same month that the Rumble Pak came out. Sony's Dualshock controller WITH the rumble came out in late 1997 in Japan, and May 1998 here in the States.

Got that?

So let's look at it: You got the original standard PlayStation controller with just the d-pad; no rumble and no analog. Then you got the N64 controller, which implemented the analog for 3D gaming. Then, in April 1997, Sony releases a Dual Analog controller. Around this same time, in the same month, early into the year, Nintendo had just released the Rumble Rak. And then, Sony re-releases the same controller, with rumble, less than a year later. Gee. You must be totally right on the money that Sony was working on it first.

And I heard that your mother started the goddamn Chicago Fire. That don't necessarily make it ********' so.

Biohazard EXTREME
My point is, imagine if the Wii never happened, and we got a perfectly polished GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Sure, it'd be just a normal controller, but maybe it'd be a more immersive experience. In fact, now that we're talking about this, I might want to give Twilight Princess another spin. On the GameCube this time.

Well, the Wii happened. And we still got the Gamecube version. Moot point. Moving on.

Biohazard EXTREME
Okay, that's fair. And hey, I'm not gonna get into this, just because I don't give enough s**t to write a big paragraph about it. But as far as the whole, "Games used for excercise" thing, the Eye Toy did it first. And I'm sure there was probably something even before that. Oh, DDR, for example. So don't tell me that Nintendo is 100% original, and everyone else isn't.

Gee. I don't recall ever claiming that Nintendo was the first to do exercise games. They weren't the first to do a lot of s**t. The point here was that you said that the Wii is NOT a way to be fit, and that you've seen no actual evidence that Wii Fit or anything like that works as its intended to. And no, standard Wii games are not going to make you fit. However, Wii Fit, and all that other exercise s**t does work, and CAN make you fit. That's all.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well like I said, used improperly, they can ruin the immersion. And honestly, one of the things that actually ruins the immersion is that little speaker in the remote. I mean, yes, it puts out sound. But it's not even good quality sound. It's a tiny little speaker that can't possibly sound as well as it would on the bigger TV. And to me, it only reminded me, that I'm holding a white plastick controller, and not a gun/sword.

Anything used improperly in gaming can ruin the immersion. And if you don't like the little speaker in your Wiimote, and it sounds cheap to you or whatever, you can turn that speaker off. Even with or without it, you still got the sounds coming through the TV.

Biohazard EXTREME
And dude, 'implement storytelling' is a vague term. I mean, Mario implements storytelling. But that doesn't make it a deep and emotional narrative. And that's the case with lots of games. I mean, even Mario PARTY games have a little storyline to go with them. But it's just filler for the gameplay. And that's the case with lots of Wii games.

Yeah? I wouldn't say Halo has a deep or emotional narrative either. It still has storytelling. Doesn't mean you CAN'T implement storytelling in games that have motion controls. Doesn't mean there AREN'T games for the Wii that DO. Controls have nothing to do with narrative anyway. There's only very few exceptions to that rule. Flower (a PSN exclusive) being the only one I can think of. And guess what? That's all motion controls. What's MGS or RE, or any other standard game with a narrative? You play the game, pause for a cutscene that tells the story and progresses the plot. And usually when this s**t's going on, you're not doing anything. Maybe a QTE once in a while. That's about the extent of the controls coming into play. The storytelling in any Wii Mario game is exactly the same as it would go on any Gamecube one. So really, you just don't like Mario games. What else is new?

Biohazard EXTREME
And again, you need to stop taking me for such an extremist. When I say, "Wii has a whole bunch of shovelware." I'm not saying that it's ALL shovelware. When I say, "Wii caters to little kids," I'm not saying, EVERY game does that. I mean, you mentioned some... There was Madworld, and Madworld, and uhh.. oh yeah, did you remember to mention Madworld? Seriously, you don't need to keep hammering it in. I get it. Madworld is a well designed, well implemented, mature game that has a distinct sense of style and uniqueness. I'm just saying, the Wii could use a few more Madworlds. And screw the mature part even. I mean, aside from Nintendo's first party games. How many third party Wii games made for kids, actually offer a deep and engaging plot, with interesting characters? And ones that are also well built and successful. All I ever hear is, "Animal Crossing" this and "Raving Rabbids" that. And that's why most middle aged people nowadays see games as nothing more than a toy, and refuse to acknowledge video games as the new generation of audio-visual media. And even an art form.

I mentioned plenty of other s**t besides Madworld, thank you very much. You just dismissed everything else. And I could just as easily rag on you about your beloved Silent Hill, which comes out of your mouth every other post. And well, I only constantly hammer in the mature-themed games the Wii's got, because that seems to be all you give a ******** about. You want a strong third party exclusive that's good for the kids, and has a deep, engaging plot that makes good use of the motion controls? Try Zak & Wiki. Try Nights.

Biohazard EXTREME
Hey, I wasn't trying to be a jerk when I said, "Correct me if I'm wrong." I honestly didn't know that you could store Wii games on an SD card. What keeps a guy from putting all his games on an SD card and giving that card to another friend to play all his games?
I don't really care about install. Frankly, as I mentioned before, which I'm gonna address ElenaMason later on, about PC games not performing as smoothly as on the consoles. That's the only reason I prefer the consoles. That and I prefer a good controller over the WASD/Mouse combo. Install never bothered me.

It doesn't work, I tried it. It's locked into your Wii's serial number, and won't transfer to anyone else's. Could be cool, though. I like the fact that I can share some of my PSN games with my friends.

And I don't really care about it anymore either, since I upgraded my hard drive. Problem solved. But when I had a 40gig PS3, yeah, it was definitely an issue.

Biohazard EXTREME
And PS3 owners have access to plenty of fun, casual games on the PS Network. And forget Sony. Even the 360 is going out of its way right now with their new Ad Campaign, to emphasize that the Xbox 360 is perfect for wholesome family fun. Which it can be. As can the PS3, as can the Wii. Each system has something that it's better at than the other, but all in all, they all have at least a some of what the other system excels at.
Like, the Wii has SOME mature games with deep storylines. But it does not excel at them.

Well, there ya go. Thank you for finally seeing my point. They all have kiddy s**t and have mature s**t. More of some rather than others, but they still offer that s**t. That said, I think it'd be easier for someone like my grandmother to pick up a Wii controller and get into Wii Sports over anything on PS3 and 360 on a standard controller thus far. And I know you find that just disgusting, but it has its merits. Just like if you're more into the mature s**t, you're gonna go with PS3 and 360 sooner than a Wii. But Wii still has some of that s**t for you.

Biohazard EXTREME
Umm... Are you saying that Sony doesn't make games? Sony owns more developing studios than Nintendo and Microsoft combined (17 last time I checked) and most of Sony's 1st party games usually end up getting 8+ ratings and being very successful. So don't give me that, "Sony doesn't make games" s**t. It's not like the same guy who works on the Wii consle, ends up working on its games afterwards. Nintendo also has its own studios that have whole separate teams of people to make those games. So does Microsoft. And like I said, so does Sony.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Sony merely acquired other independent developing studios through monetary means. And yes, Shigeru Miyamoto, straight from Nintendo, no other affiliate, that same guy who makes all the Zelda and Mario games and s**t, designed the Gamecube controller. He also helped design the Wii and the Wiimote. He has a big hand in all that s**t.

Biohazard EXTREME
And again, you're saying it like you don't actually get a variety of games on either console. Because the PS3 doesn't get any family or casual games. And because the 360 is nothing BUT testosterone filled first person shooters, right? Now, if you're a fan of the Nintendo games, that's great. If you really love Mario, Metroid, Zelda etc. Then that's why you bought the Wii and it's fine.

Well, no. That's not what I'm saying it like. But I find that pretty ironic that's what you think I'm saying, because this whole time I've been combating YOUR stance that the Wii only offers one certain type of game, which is casual/kiddy s**t without storytelling. What I was saying is, I like all the consoles, because I like each of the specific qualities they all have. I like each flavor. Because I like variety. Same goes with my videogames. And that's just it. The Wii/PS3/360 and all their games are just different flavors in the ice cream store. And there's no point trying to argue that one tastes better than the other. Because that's just your personal taste. Like I said, I was never trying to argue that you: Bio, should get a Wii. Obviously, it's not the console for you, even though it may have a few games on it that you would enjoy. Obviously it's not enough for you.

Biohazard EXTREME
But most of the people buy it FOR the casual games with a good use of motion controls. And yes, when they get older, they'll have some decent mature titles to play on the Wii. But there still aren't enough of them.
And let's say, for example, that there's a kid out there who doesn't think Resident Evil 4 is a steaming pile of s**t. (God knows there's plenty). So he plays through the Chronicles, through RE4. And says, "What's next? Well I don't know what's next because RE5 was never released on the Wii. Well, off to buy 360/PS3!"

I don't CARE what most people buy it for. A lot of people bought the PS3 mainly for a Blu-ray player. And so what? I was playing all the Resident Evil games on PlayStation before I HAD to get a Dreamcast to find out what was next. Then I HAD to get Gamecube to find out what was next. So, going by that logic, ******** PlayStation because it never got RE0, so I never got to find out what happened before. And it was never supposed to get RE4 either. And Microsoft never had any Resident Evil game prior to RE5. And if that guy liked RE4 enough that he's gonna go out and get another console that has it, more ********' power to him. Doesn't mean that his Wii is obsolete now.

Biohazard EXTREME
Which all comes back to the whole storytelling conversation and not enough games conversation. Like I said, storyline is very important to me. And not just within a game, but in the big picture aspect too. Look at Tomb Raider. They have Tomb Raider Legend, and Anniversary. And then they release Underworld, it flops, and people say, "Well, it didn't offer anything new or innovative, so what's the point of even releasing it?" Maybe because Tomb Raider Legend left on a cliffhanger, dipshit. (Hehe, Tomb Raider is always a cliffhanger.) Same thing with the new Ratchet and Clank. They say with Crack in Time, "Well, the game didn't bring anything new to the genre, it's just more of the same." Well, it needed a conclusion! You can't just leave a franchise hanging and then say, "We're done." That's what people don't get.
And frankly, I do NOT want to see the Resident Evil 4 treatment on any other franchise.

Okay then. What the ******** does that have anything to do with Nintendo or Wii motion controls? Nothing.

Biohazard EXTREME
But innovations in gameplay aside.
My point is that the Wii has Silent Hill, Fatal Frame 4, Resident Evil, Dead Space Extraction etc. Parts of franchises that mostly thrive on other systems. That's an incomplete experience. And when a casual gamer turns into a hardcore gamer(The good kind, like us. Not the kind that has to be on top of every online leader board.) that's when they start caring about the overall plot, and will be saying, "Well, I guess I'll be getting another console now, because I have to find out what happens next/happened before."

Well, again, going by that logic, the 360 is whopping piece of s**t because it doesn't have the complete RE experience. Nor does the PS3 or any other console. So if you like it that much, you're gonna have to get another system. That's why you got the Gamecube and the Wii in the first place, isn't it? And hey, while you're here, you may as well see what else it's got to offer.

Biohazard EXTREME
Dude, like I said, I TRIED looking for stuff on the Wii that I'd like. And obviously there was gonna be more games coming out in the future that hadn't been announced yet, like your beloved Madworld. But at the time, I got rid of my Wii, I played the s**t out of it for the first three months, and the next three months it sat there gathering dust because there were some awesome PS3 and PSP games coming out that I had to play, meanwhile one title that I was only KINDA interested in (No More Heroes) was getting delayed.
And even then... I mean, look at Dead Space. It was my most anticipated title of fall of 2008. I was so disappointed with it. I mean, if I bought a PS3 and that was the ONLY title I was looking forward to on the whole system, I probably would've gotten rid of my PS3. So it's not like I was gonna sit there HOPING that the game I kinda want is gonna turn out good (which, at the time, was an unsure bet with the Wii). So when you say people don't broaden their horizons, I hope you don't mean me.

Sorry you couldn't find games you'd like for your Wii, dude. Maybe if you'd hung on to it for a little longer, you would have come across a lot more things worthwhile to enjoy. You seemed to be willing to be patient for your PS3 there, while it sat collecting dust, waiting for anything worth a damn to release. But really, if Wii is only offering you one game that you're only kinda interested in, and just merely hoping will be decent, more power to you for selling it, okay? That's not the case with everybody else, as I've already explained over and over, and am not going to again. All the consoles are getting better and improving as they're coming into their own, including the Wii. More s**t keeps coming.

Biohazard EXTREME
It would be just an avatar, if that avatar wasn't actually used IN the game like Wii Sports. Which has some nice levels, especially the golf course. So it's not like they're only used as avatars to recognize your friends online. They're pretty much game characters in themselves. There should've been some effort put into them. Some style to them, or something. I mean, Katamari has fairly simplistic style too. But it's style. The Miis have no style. And again, if avatars is all they were, I wouldn't give a crap. But Wii sports is a game. A game with extremely bad character design.

I'm not gonna sit here and speculate on the effort put into the Wii avatars with you, okay. They do have a style. A simplistic one that you do not care for. And for that, I'm sorry. I don't know what the hell you want me to tell you, dude. Most people really don't give a s**t, though. *shrugs*

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I usually judge a system by its exclusives. What does it offer that other systems don't? And yes, the PS3 only had one essential exclusive, but that was enough for me to choose it over the 360. But it still had plenty of other exclusives that were really good games. And obviously since games like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and inFamous don't have any predecessors, so I can't say, "I must have that game" because my essentials are only sequels. Now, when I saw Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, I said, "Those games look awesome. I'll definitely be getting them, when I get my PS3." And frankly, if I went to a friend's house and played some Uncharted there, it would've made it a killer ap for me. But I got my PS3 before Uncharted, so that doesn't really matter. Oh, I also forgot to mention God of War 3, which became an essential after I made a conscious decision to get a PS3, but before I actually got it. That's why I didn't include it.
And just to answer your question:
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty
Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time
Disgaea 3
And of course, Metal Gear Solid 4

Those are the awesome exclusives I'm playing.
And I can think of like 15 other titles that are all great, just aren't in my collection, because I either don't much care for the genre, or I just haven't gotten around to picking them up.

Blah, blah, blah, blah. Up until now, the Wii's very controls were exclusive. Even just the ports have an exclusive dynamic to them that set them apart. Okay, you have 8 games listed there, dude. I just gave you eight of the third party, MATURE-themed exclusives. I hadn't even BEGUN to list all the other quality first party and third party Wii exclusives. If I added those to the list, it would more than double yours.

Biohazard EXTREME
Why would you even bring up IGN? No, I didn't play most of them, but I do read the details of the reviews. The kind that say the controls were jittery or whatever. If a review says, "Well, the game isn't good because it plays like RPGs did in the 90s," yes, I'm gonna say, "******** you, the 90's had the best RPGs." But when they say, "The game is actually broken. The controls don't respond the way they should," how is that not a reasonable argument. Why is it okay for Red Steel to no function properly, but not okay for games like Lair? Which actually wasn't nearly as bad as people say.

Because sometimes they exaggerate those flaws. Be it controls or it's lack of online multiplayer, or anything else. You really have to play the game for yourself to truly know if it works for you or not, despite those flaws. Like you said, sometimes they're not nearly as bad as people say. And like I said, standard RE controls are considered a flaw among most critics. Clunky and unresponsive, and all that stuff. You read reviews to get the skinny on the game to see if it's a potentital purchase, and if it doesn't get a completely terrible review, and you're already interested, you're more than likely going to buy it anyway. I don't know about you, but I often don't agree with critic scores, especially coming from sources like Gamespot or IGN half of the time. Sometimes those reviews have complete, total misinformation that makes one wonder if they even really played the game. See the Gamespot review of REmake for a perfect example. And I don't think any of those games I listed, aside from possibly Red Steel, got downright HORRID reviews, despite their flaws. And I'm definitely gonna pick up Cursed Mountain when I get a chance, despite the fact Gamespot only gave it a 7.5 (good), and critisized the controls. Because it looks like an interesting, not to mention unquie, Survival Horror game. And as we've discussed plenty here in this guild, there's a severe lack of that in the mainstream, big budget PS3/360 market. See? Sometimes all that shovelware can spring something beneficial.

Biohazard EXTREME
First of all, again, the article was an editorial, which means he's allowed to state his opinion. And yes, dude... That's another thing... If I (or any one else with a PS3) say, "The Wii sucks, I don't like it." why the hell does that immediately make me a Sony fanboy??? I mean, what am I not allowed to have a damn opinion anymore? I like Sony as a company because they never failed me in terms of hardware. I know that doesn't apply to all, but it applies to me, and that's what my opinion is based on. I respect Nintendo, but don't really like the Wii, because when I bought it it was gathering dust. That doesn't apply to everyone, but it applies to me. That's what I base my opinion on. Personal knowledge and experience.
I believe you that the Wii has some interesting mature games. But most of the games you listed are either ports that I can get nicer versions of on the PS3, or franchises that I'm not interested in. I mean, I can say, "Such and such game sucked because it had no storyline" you can say, "It's still a fun game, so who cares about the story?" I say, "I care about the story. The game doesn't have what I'm looking for, so as far as I'm concerned, it sucks." I mean, you can say, "It's all objective" and it is. But does being objective make it invalid? If I say I like Resident Evil movies because they gave me what I'm looking for, and avoided what I'm NOT looking for" does that not make it a valid opinion, just because you don't feel the same way? So the guy isn't a fan of the Wii. It's not as if he said, "The PS3 doesn't need another generation, and everything else does." That WOULD make him a Sony fanboy. But he gave the PS3 and the 360 the same treatment. And if he doesn't like the Wii, like I said, it's an editorial, which makes it opinion based. I mean, look at the whole article. ElanaMason said, "I can't wait to see video games with characters that look indistinguishable from live action" which means development times and costs aside, she thinks we DO need another generation. So it's not as if the article is absolute, and non-opinion based. So if the guy doesn't consider the Wii on the same level as 360 and PS3, he has the right to make the article as it is. Frankly, if I was to write an article like that, I probably wouldn't include the Wii either. Because I can see Nintendo making another generation, and if I remember correctly, Nintendo already said they were working on something. Why don't you make the article and include the Wii in it, since you're so all accepting?

Fine. He's allowed to state his opinion. And I'm allowed to call him a douchebag for it. Ain't free speech great? I just didn't like the article for obvious reasons. I didn't think his handling of certain subjects was very professional. I like objective writing when it comes to s**t like that. Otherwise, it provokes s**t like this that we're doing right now. Like I said, it does bring up some valid points, but it was written by a Sony fanboy, as you can definitely tell he favors the PS3. And dude, you're a Sony fanboy. And obviously, I am a Nintendo fanboy. So let's not argure over semantics here.

Politics, politics.

Whatever. I'll be completely honest with you: I ******** love the PS3, as well as all of Sony's other consoles. But I really don't respect Sony. Like, at all. Go figure.

So anyway, of course you would write the same kind of article, because you're of the same opinion. But when you say something like, "the Wii isn't exactly overflowing with A titles", you're just full of s**t. There's plenty of 'em. You may not dig 'em, but they're there.

I don't write articles, dude. Just giant walls of text.

Biohazard EXTREME
Umm... It was Nintendo's IDEA. Sony's using their own technology which is completely different from Nintendo's. So technically, Sony might've ripped off the idea, but it's their own innovation.
And one could argue that it started with the Eye Toy, which evolved into the PS Eye. And the new motion controllers are just an extension of the PS eye. So in a way, Sony is only adding the motion controls to technology ideas and innovation that were already theirs. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't give a s**t. It is what it is.
I mean, I don't rip on Xbox 360 saying that Project NATAL is a ripoff of the PlayStation Eye. So get over it.

Exactly. Nintendo's IDEA. The form is different, but the spirit is the same. They may be using a different kind of technology to acheive the same result, but that's just a technicality. And it's no secret. Sony has been ripping off Nintendo from day one. That's just the facts. So get over it. Maybe I wouldn't rip on them so much if they didn't do it all the time. "Here's the Revolution, guys. It's gonna have motion controls in it". And hey, what do you know, a few months later, Sony announces the Sixaxis. And let's talk about THOSE motion controls for a second. With the exception of Flower (a very good interactive piece of art), what has it amounted to? Ooooo, turning a ********' valve in Killzone 2. Balancing on a log in Uncharted. Whoopie ********. Completely pointless, tacked-on, and not a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Wii's motion controls are just an extension of the Eye Toy? Are you ******** serious right now, dude? The Eye Toy was camera that superimposed badly drawn images over your person for you to interact with. Not only was it was it corny as ********, and not a whole hell of a lot of fun, but it doesn't really feel like you're truly interacting with anything if there's no feedback or feel or anything when you're touching these objects. The thing itself, and the games for it, were all horrid. So rag on the Wii all you want, but if you thought you felt like a douche playing Wii, holy s**t, let me tell ya...

And well, I don't know much about the Natal. But if it's anything like the Eye Toy, then I'm probably not gonna be touching it, because I don't imagine it being much good. And when it doesn't catch on for that very reason, that's not much bragging rights for Sony. Because it sucked then, and it'll suck now. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll just wait and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm
[edit]Wo wait a minute...lol I didn't say we NEED another generation of consoles (at least not of this moment) it might have come off that way, but I was just saying that we shouldn't try to stop new ones from coming out, because they come out eventually anyway. But the still fairly new stuff needs to be fixed first and understood inside out before we move on. But it usually takes around 5 years or more before a new console comes out anyway, and that's usually around the same time I need to replace my graphics card.

As far as what you said on console games meant for PC, Bio, yeah I hear yah. I kinda disagree, but I know you're not wrong either because man...they've been putting console games on PC like CRAZY. I mean just the other day I was at Fry's Electronics and I saw Prototype for PC. I mean come on Prototype? Are you kidding me? Wtf....I mean I can understand that for 1) The US economy sucks ballsacks right so 2) if the companies want to expand and open up their market to make more money by putting their exclusives or non-exclusives to pc, then that's fine.

But there used to be a time when FPS (as a general example) used to be only for PC. I mean that's what it was built for, what it was meant for and now.....now there's no distinguishing factor. I mean yeah there's a ton of action games for PC, but they were BUILT for the PC....and now I'm jumping into the exact point you were getting at. I guess, personally for myself I find it ironic but great at the same time because I don't have the money to buy a new console right now, but I still have my awesome gaming pc so all these shiney new titles I've been curious to try are now available to play for pc. So that opens up a complete new market for me. I can save up for games, but saving up for a console would take waaaaay too long right now and I'm not always the patient type.

LOL I think I'm torn on my own opinion here as you can tell. Cuz if they stick all the console games on PC then what's the point of the consoles? (as a hypothetical question that I'm not actually trying to answer). I just find it ironic more than anything else. I'll buy consoles regardless of whether the game is on PC or not. Just PC is my only option right now (as far as new games go) and until I have the money to get my 360 back, and to get a PS3 as well. Once that happens I'll go back to consoles.

But in all seriousness here....FPS should be PC only (and yes I know I'm jumping on a slightly different issue here). You can more control with the mouse with aiming and what have you. Actually, wait I take that back a bit....now that the Wii has been out for a while I think the Wii would be brilliant for FPS. The other day I tried RE 4 on the Wii (because my friend owned it) and to get on what Stranger was saying before, being able to aim the gun at the las plagas fagots was awesome! It really did make it more immersible because it was like I as actually holding a gun (even though it was just a remote) and being able to aim at it....so much more fun than sitting at a computer screen and dragging and clicking a mouse.

Actually haha, now that I realize, its no different then what you do at the Arcades when playing House of the Dead or whatever its called. But instead of having to go to an Arcade, now you can do it at home. You know, maybe this is the next step in immersible game play. I mean know its what they're already doing in arcades, but as far as the FPS genre of gaming, I think its great that the Wii has that type of control.

I know I know, sorry guys, I'm sorta jumping back and forth here cuz I have quite a few thoughts going back in forth in my mind and trying to type it out on a screen is being a b***h to do right now. I could probably ramble a ton more, but my bottom line and opinion of the Wii, I think its a nice little innovative, and yes I do mean innovative system. Its brought to our homes what we do in the Arcades, but with a little more sophistication and games that DO have story. Maybe not all of them, but most of them yeah. Anyway....

Speaking of the Wii, has anyone given the new Grudge game a try? I know it came out on the Wii so I've been really curious to hear a review on it from one of you guys/girls.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:38 pm
Thee Stranger

Sorry, dudes. I'm using the small font in an effort to cut down my walls, but it's not doing a whole hell of a lot of good. Perhaps somebody should open a great debate subforum or something when stuff like this gets out of hand, as to cut down on the clutter in the Grill and promote more friendly, casual conversation. And now, here we go again.

Fine. And your gimmick groups need the practice.

When I first read this, I really wanted to know where you were pulling this out of your a** from, because I remember the Rumple Pak being around for quite a while before we ever saw the Dualshock. So I looked into it. And Sony's Dual Analog WITHOUT the rumble feature came in April of 1997, the same month that the Rumble Pak came out. Sony's Dualshock controller WITH the rumble came out in late 1997 in Japan, and May 1998 here in the States.

Got that?

So let's look at it: You got the original standard PlayStation controller with just the d-pad; no rumble and no analog. Then you got the N64 controller, which implemented the analog for 3D gaming. Then, in April 1997, Sony releases a Dual Analog controller. Around this same time, in the same month, early into the year, Nintendo had just released the Rumble Rak. And then, Sony re-releases the same controller, with rumble, less than a year later. Gee. You must be totally right on the money that Sony was working on it first.

And I heard that your mother started the goddamn Chicago Fire. That don't necessarily make it ********' so.

Well, the Wii happened. And we still got the Gamecube version. Moot point. Moving on.

Gee. I don't recall ever claiming that Nintendo was the first to do exercise games. They weren't the first to do a lot of s**t. The point here was that you said that the Wii is NOT a way to be fit, and that you've seen no actual evidence that Wii Fit or anything like that works as its intended to. And no, standard Wii games are not going to make you fit. However, Wii Fit, and all that other exercise s**t does work, and CAN make you fit. That's all.

Anything used improperly in gaming can ruin the immersion. And if you don't like the little speaker in your Wii mote and it sounds cheap to you or whatever, you can turn that speaker off. Even with or without it, you still got the sounds coming through the TV.

Yeah? I wouldn't say Halo has a deep or emotional narrative either. It still has storytelling. Doesn't mean you CAN'T implement storytelling in games that have motion controls. Doesn't mean there AREN'T games for the Wii that DO. Controls have nothing to do with narrative anyway. There's only very few exceptions to that rule. Flower (a PSN exclusive) being the only one I can think of. And guess what? That's all motion controls. What's MGS or RE, or any other standard game with a narrative? You play the game, pause for a cutscene that tells the story and progresses the plot. And usually when this s**t's going on, you're not doing anything. Maybe QTE once in a while. That's about the extent of the controls coming into play. The storytelling in any Wii Mario game is exactly the same as it would go on any Gamecube one. So really, you just don't like Mario games. What else is new?

I mentioned plenty of other s**t besides Madworld, thank you very much. You just dismissed everything else. And I could just as easily rag on you about your beloved Silent Hill, which comes out of your mouth every other post. And well, I only constantly hammer in the mature-themed games the Wii's got, because that seems to be all you give a ******** about. You want a strong third party exclusives that's good for the kids, has a deep, engaging plot that makes good use of the motion controls? Try Zak & Wiki. Try Nights.

It doesn't work, I tried it. It's locked into your Wii's serial number, and won't transfer to anyone else's. Could be cool, though. I like the fact that I can share some of my PSN games with my friends.

And I don't really care about it anymore either, since I upgraded my hard drive. Problem solved. But when I had a 40gig PS3, yeah, it was definitely an issue.

Well, there ya go. Thank you for finally seeing my point. They all have kiddy s**t and have mature s**t. More of some rather than others, but they still offer that s**t. That said, I think it'd be easier for someone like my grandmother to pick up a Wii controller get into Wii Sports over anything on PS3 and 360 on a standard controller thus far. And I know you just find that disgusting, but it has its merits. Just like if you're more into the mature s**t, you're gonna go with PS3 and 360 sooner than a Wii. But Wii still has some of that s**t for you.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Sony merely acquired other developing studios through monetary means. And yes, Shigeru Miyamoto, straight from Nintendo, no other affiliate, that same guy who makes all the Zelda games and s**t, designed the Gamecube controller. He also helped design the Wii and the Wiimote. He has a big hand in all that s**t.

Well, no. That's not what I'm saying it like. I find that pretty ironic that's what you think I'm saying, because this whole time I've been combating YOUR belief that the Wii only offers one certain type of game, which is casual/kiddy s**t without storytelling. What I was saying is, I like all the consoles, because I like each of the specific qualities they all have. I like each flavor. Because I like variety. Same goes with my videogames. And that's just it. The Wii/PS3/360 and all their games are just different flavors in the ice cream store. And there's no point trying to argue that one tastes better than the other. Because that's just your personal taste. Like I said, I was never trying to argue that you: Bio, should get a Wii. Obviously, it's not the console for you, even though it may have a few games on it that you would enjoy. Obviously it's not enough for you.

I don't CARE what most people buy it for. A lot of people bought the PS3 mainly for a Blu-ray player. And so what? I was playing all the Resident Evil games on PlayStation before I HAD to get a Dreamcast to find out what was next. Then I HAD to get Gamecube to find out what was next. So, going by that logic, ******** PlayStation because it never got RE0, so I never got to find out what happened before. And it was never supposed to get RE4 either. And Microsoft never had any Resident Evil game prior to RE5. And if that guy liked RE4 enough that he's gonna go out and get another console that has it, more ********' power to him. Doesn't mean that his Wii is obsolete now.

Okay then. What the ******** does that have anything to do with Nintendo or Wii motion controls? Nothing.

Well, again, going by that logic, the 360 is whopping piece of s**t because it doesn't have the complete RE experience. Nor does the PS3 or any other console. So if you like it that much, you're gonna have to get another system. That's why you got the Gamecube and the Wii in the first place, isn't it? And hey, while you're here, you may as well see what else it's got to offer.

Sorry you couldn't find games you'd like for your Wii, dude. Maybe if you'd hung on to it for a little longer, you would have come across a lot more things worthwhile to enjoy. You seemed to be willing to be patient for your PS3 there while it sat collecting dust, waiting for anything worth a damn to release. But really, if Wii is only offering you one game that you're only kinda interested in and just merely hoping will be decent, more power to you for selling it, okay? That's not the case with everybody else, as I've already explained over and over, and am not going to again. All the consoles are getting better and improving as they're coming into their own, including the Wii. More s**t keeps coming.

I'm not gonna sit here and speculate on the effort put into the Wii avatars with you, okay. They do have a style. A simplistic one that you do not care for. And for that, I'm sorry. I don't know what the hell you want me to tell you, dude. Most people really don't give a s**t, though. *shrugs*

Blah, blah, blah, blah. Up until now, the Wii's very controls were exclusive. Even just the ports have an exclusive dynamic to them that set them apart. Okay, you have 8 games listed there, dude. I just gave you eight of the third party, MATURE-themed exclusives. I hadn't even BEGUN to list all the other quality first party and third party Wii exclusives. If I added those to the list, it would more than double yours.

Because sometimes they exaggerate those flaws. Be it controls or it's lack of online multiplayer, or anything else. You really have to play the game for yourself to truly know if it works for you or not, despite those flaws. Like you said, sometimes they're not nearly as bad as people say. And like I said, standard RE controls are considered a flaw among most critics. Clunky and unresponsive, and all that stuff. You read reviews to get the skinny on the game to see if it's a potentital purchase, and if it doesn't get a completely terrible review, and you're already interested, you're more than likely going to buy it anyway. I don't know about you, but I often don't agree with critic scores, especially coming from sources like Gamespot of IGN half of the time. Sometimes those reviews have complete, total misinformation that makes one wonder if they even really played the game. See the Gamespot review of REmake for a perfect example. And I don't think any of those games I listed, aside from possibly Red Steel, got downright HORRID reviews, despite their flaws. And I'm definitely gonna pick up Cursed Mountain when I get a chance, despite the fact Gamepsot only gave it a 7.5 (good), and critisized the controls. Because it looks like an interesting, not to mention unquie, Survival Horror game. And as we've discussed plenty here in this guild, there's a severe lack of that in the mainstream, big budget PS3/360 market. See? Sometimes all that shovelware can spring something beneficial.

Fine. He's allowed to state his opinion. And I'm allowed to call him a douchebag for it. Ain't free speech great? I just didn't like article for obvious reasons. I didn't think his handeling of certain subjects was very professional. I like objective writing when it comes to s**t like that. Otherwise, it provokes s**t like this that we're doing right now. Like I said, it does bring up some valid points, but it was written by a Sony fanboy, as you can definitely tell he favors the PS3. And dude, you're a Sony fanboy. And obviously, I am a Nintendo fanboy. So let's not argure over semantics here.

Politics, politics.

Whatever. I'll be completely honest with you: I ******** love the PS3, as well as all of Sony's other consoles. But I really don't respect Sony. Like, at all. Go figure.

So anyway, of course you would write the same kind of article, because you're of the same opinion. But when you say something like, "the Wii isn't exactly overflowing with A tiltes", you're full of s**t. There's plenty of 'em. You may not dig 'em, but they're there.

I don't write articles, dude. Just giant walls of text.

Exactly. Nintendo's IDEA. The form is different, but the spirit is the same. They may be using a different kind of technology to acheive the same result, but that's just a technicality. And it's no secret. Sony has been ripping off Nintendo from day one. That's just the facts. So get over it. Maybe I wouldn't rip on them so much if they didn't do it all the time. Here's the Revolution guys. It's gonna have motion controls in it. And hey, what do you know, a few months later, Sony announces the Sixaxis. And let's talk about THOSE motion controls for a second. With the exception of Flower (a very good interactive piece of art), what has it amounted to? Ooooo, turning a ********' valve in Killzone 2. Balancing on a log in Uncharted. Whoopie ********. Completely pointless, tacked-on, and not a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Wii's motion controls are just an extension of the Eye Toy? Are you ******** serious right now, dude? The Eye Toy was camera that superimposed badly drawn images with your person for you to interact with. Not only was it was it corny as ********, and not a whole hell of a lot of fun, but it doesn't really feel like you're truly interacting with anything if there's no feedback or feel or anything when you're touching these objects. The thing itself, and the games for it, were all horrid. So rag on the Wii all you want, but if you thought you felt like a douche playing Wii, holy s**t, let me tell ya...

And well, I don't know much about the Natal. But if it's anything like the Eye Toy, then I'm probably not gonna be touching it, because I don't imagine it being much good. And when it doesn't catch on for that very reason, that's not much bragging rights for Sony. Because it sucked then, and it'll suck now. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll just wait and see how it goes.

Dammit, man! I was frozen today!

ElenaMason
[edit]Wo wait a minute...lol I didn't say we NEED another generation of consoles (at least not of this moment) it might have come off that way, but I was just saying that we shouldn't try to stop new ones from coming out, because they come out eventually anyway. But the still fairly new stuff needs to be fixed first and understood inside out before we move on. But it usually takes around 5 years or more before a new console comes out anyway, and that's usually around the same time I need to replace my graphics card.
So I guess, that just means you're buying an extra console every generation. And then there's the whole issue with operating systems. I mean, I don't know what you're running, but Windows Vista is a piece of s**t. And doesn't want to run half the old games that I know and love. And IF you're lucky, the developers, or some good programmer out there will release a patch. But otherwise, you're SOL. I barely managed to get one of my favorite games running on Vista.
If it didn't, I don't know what I would do, honestly.

ElenaMason

As far as what you said on console games meant for PC, Bio, yeah I hear yah. I kinda disagree, but I know you're not wrong either because man...they've been putting console games on PC like CRAZY. I mean just the other day I was at Fry's Electronics and I saw Prototype for PC. I mean come on Prototype? Are you kidding me? Wtf....I mean I can understand that for 1) The US economy sucks ballsacks right so 2) if the companies want to expand and open up their market to make more money by putting their exclusives or non-exclusives to pc, then that's fine.

But there used to be a time when FPS (as a general example) used to be only for PC. I mean that's what it was built for, what it was meant for and now.....now there's no distinguishing factor. I mean yeah there's a ton of action games for PC, but they were BUILT for the PC....and now I'm jumping into the exact point you were getting at. I guess, personally for myself I find it ironic but great at the same time because I don't have the money to buy a new console right now, but I still have my awesome gaming pc so all these shiney new titles I've been curious to try are now available to play for pc. So that opens up a complete new market for me. I can save up for games, but saving up for a console would take waaaaay too long right now and I'm not always the patient type.
You know, what I don't get is, the consoles totally have the power to implement a USB mouse into their games.
Resident Evil: Dead Aim can be used with any USB mouse.
So why don't they just so that with FPS games on the consoles?

ElenaMason

LOL I think I'm torn on my own opinion here as you can tell. Cuz if they stick all the console games on PC then what's the point of the consoles? (as a hypothetical question that I'm not actually trying to answer). I just find it ironic more than anything else. I'll buy consoles regardless of whether the game is on PC or not. Just PC is my only option right now (as far as new games go) and until I have the money to get my 360 back, and to get a PS3 as well. Once that happens I'll go back to consoles.

But in all seriousness here....FPS should be PC only (and yes I know I'm jumping on a slightly different issue here). You can more control with the mouse with aiming and what have you. Actually, wait I take that back a bit....now that the Wii has been out for a while I think the Wii would be brilliant for FPS. The other day I tried RE 4 on the Wii (because my friend owned it) and to get on what Stranger was saying before, being able to aim the gun at the las plagas fagots was awesome! It really did make it more immersible because it was like I as actually holding a gun (even though it was just a remote) and being able to aim at it....so much more fun than sitting at a computer screen and dragging and clicking a mouse.

Actually haha, now that I realize, its no different then what you do at the Arcades when playing House of the Dead or whatever its called. But instead of having to go to an Arcade, now you can do it at home. You know, maybe this is the next step in immersible game play. I mean know its what they're already doing in arcades, but as far as the FPS genre of gaming, I think its great that the Wii has that type of control.

Well, to be fair, light guns have been around on consoles since the NES. Yes, the developers seemed to have abandoned them lately, which I think is stupid. But still, Time Crisis 4 for the PS3 comes with a GunCon 3 light gun. So that's already on the PS3, they just need to make more games for it. I'd love to see a port of House of the Dead 4 on the PS3, GunCon compatible.
Point is, this "Arcade Shooter" technology existed on consoles for a long time. And the PS2 has a lot of games compatible with its GunCon.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:00 am
Quote:
So I guess, that just means you're buying an extra console every generation.

but isn't that how it always is? consoles have been coming out non stop since the Atari systems. and the only way i would buy a new console is if it had games on it i want. took forever for PS3 to come out with games I was finally interested in, but I don't condone it as a bad system just because it didn't have games I wanted right away.

[edit] don't get me wrong here though. if they came out with a new console lets say for the xbox series, in 2010...id' be reeaaaaaaaaally skeptical because i KNOW they need to fix s**t on their 360 system first. and it'd be a long a** time before i would even consider getting a new console system even if a new one comes out next year or in the next three years or something.

OH man dude. ******** vista. I run X.P. service pack 3. I REFUSE to use Vista....ever....

Quote:
You know, what I don't get is, the consoles totally have the power to implement a USB mouse into their games.
Resident Evil: Dead Aim can be used with any USB mouse.
So why don't they just so that with FPS games on the consoles?

is that a rhetorical question? that's an interesting question though but the mouse goes along with the keyboard as the movement. it would be kinda a b***h to try to point and aim a mouse while you're trying to hold a controller at the same time. unless you plugged in both a keyboard AND a mouse. but then that would make the consoles a pc XD hahhaha oh well. im not picky.

Quote:
Point is, this "Arcade Shooter" technology existed on consoles for a long time. And the PS2 has a lot of games compatible with its GunCon.

yeah i know :/ been around for ages, but I think the Wii makes good work of it, at least as far as accuracy goes. then again the accuracy in the arcades isn't bad either. i dont know. when it boils right down to it I think the Wii system is cool. nothing against it. what one system has, another lacks, but the system that lacks is also lacking something as well. every system lacks something but every system is good so i think its all kind of evenly split so all it leaves is a matter of who wants what game and what system is that game on. i might get a Wii in the future, might not. for now ill just focus on getting my 360 back, and a PS3.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:45 am
ElenaMason
is that a rhetorical question? that's an interesting question though but the mouse goes along with the keyboard as the movement. it would be kinda a b***h to try to point and aim a mouse while you're trying to hold a controller at the same time. unless you plugged in both a keyboard AND a mouse. but then that would make the consoles a pc XD hahhaha oh well. im not picky.

No, it's not a rhetorical question. I'd love to be able to play Resistance with a mouse. And trust me, holding the controller with one hand, and just using the left part of it isn't that bad at all. That's what you end up having to do in Dead Aim, and it's actuall more comfortable to move around with than the WASD keyboard.

ElenaMason

yeah i know :/ been around for ages, but I think the Wii makes good work of it, at least as far as accuracy goes. then again the accuracy in the arcades isn't bad either. i dont know. when it boils right down to it I think the Wii system is cool. nothing against it. what one system has, another lacks, but the system that lacks is also lacking something as well. every system lacks something but every system is good so i think its all kind of evenly split so all it leaves is a matter of who wants what game and what system is that game on. i might get a Wii in the future, might not. for now ill just focus on getting my 360 back, and a PS3.

Well, that's not exactly true. The Wii uses the censor bar for aiming, and has to be able to work with screens of all sizes. So that's why every single Wii game you play, where you have to aim and shoot will actually have a target crosshair on the screen. Because it's only relative to the sensor bar. If you actually aimed at the screen, at the exact spot where you want it to shoot, most of the time it would be way off. Because the Wii remote isn't a light gun, so it doesn't actually detect the images on the screen, it just calibrates itself relative to the sensor bar.

It's an okay alternative, I guess, but either way, you're still gonna get stuck with a crosshair on the screen. Which, in context to games like Zelda and Resident Evil 4, only makes them worse compared to the GameCube versions, because the last thing that games need is more on screen HUD elements.

EDIT: Well, I just played the Bayonetta Demo, and I gotta say, it's pretty much as bland and disappointing as I expected.
The gameplay is nice, but it plays so much like Devil May Cry that you might as well just play that. And the graphics aren't bad, there are some nice effects.
But the storyline seems boring, and Bayonetta isn't sexy nor funny. If you want an over the top game with a badass chick kicking lots of a**, you might wanna check out Wet instead.
Although I gotta admit, it's pretty funny that Bayonetta is published by Sega, and your in-game currency is golden rings.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
ElenaMason

No, it's not a rhetorical question. I'd love to be able to play Resistance with a mouse. And trust me, holding the controller with one hand, and just using the left part of it isn't that bad at all. That's what you end up having to do in Dead Aim, and it's actuall more comfortable to move around with than the WASD keyboard.

ElenaMason

Well, that's not exactly true. The Wii uses the censor bar for aiming, and has to be able to work with screens of all sizes. So that's why every single Wii game you play, where you have to aim and shoot will actually have a target crosshair on the screen. Because it's only relative to the sensor bar. If you actually aimed at the screen, at the exact spot where you want it to shoot, most of the time it would be way off. Because the Wii remote isn't a light gun, so it doesn't actually detect the images on the screen, it just calibrates itself relative to the sensor bar.

It's an okay alternative, I guess, but either way, you're still gonna get stuck with a crosshair on the screen. Which, in context to games like Zelda and Resident Evil 4, only makes them worse compared to the GameCube versions, because the last thing that games need is more on screen HUD elements.

EDIT: Well, I just played the Bayonetta Demo, and I gotta say, it's pretty much as bland and disappointing as I expected.
The gameplay is nice, but it plays so much like Devil May Cry that you might as well just play that. And the graphics aren't bad, there are some nice effects.
But the storyline seems boring, and Bayonetta isn't sexy nor funny. If you want an over the top game with a badass chick kicking lots of a**, you might wanna check out Wet instead.
Although I gotta admit, it's pretty funny that Bayonetta is published by Sega, and your in-game currency is golden rings.

Actually I didn't mind the crosshair aim in RE 4 for Wii at all. It's not that much different then using the laser beam from the guns. It helps to aim so you know where the hell you're shooting xD but i forgot about the sensor bar though >>;;; but I know they have a Wii gun out. I don't know if it had its own sensor, or if it has to be calibrated with the sensor bar though.

I was told about Bayonetta and how its similar to DMC. But I don't have an interest to play it anyway. BUt golden rings for currency? LOL that one made me laugh xD Sonic anyone?

Going back on silent hill shattered memories this user Game Music started uploading music for it so I thought you'd enjoy the listen to the songs Bio. I've been enjoying them. SH music never fails me.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 pm
Well, what I'm saying is, in a REAL arcade experience, you wouldn't need to see on the screen where you're aiming. You'd just use the sights and aim like you would a real gun.

Plus that crosshair is huge. I mean, the laser is actually realistic, because, there ARE guns with laser sights in real life. So even if it is used as a game mechanic, it's at least believable, and doesn't interfere with the HUD.
But with Resident Evil, I mean, they started with a completely clear screen with nothing on it, and then downgraded to having to have a health bar, and now a big crosshair on the screen. It's counterproductive. Video Games should be aiming to get rid of the HUD, or at least incorporate it into the scene like in Dead Space. Not put more elements onto the screen.

But yeah, when I saw the 'story trailer' for Bayonetta, right away I didn't like it. It just seemed generic and bland, and judging from the demo, it's exactly that. I never got into Devil May Cry, but from what I played of the first one, it at least kept me entertained as far as cinematics went. The fourth one got a little ridiculous, with that one scene where you finish off that boss, and the guy slams his sword into him, and then jumps in the air and shoots the sword, to hammer it further in. That's like... So over the top, that it stops being cool.
But I didn't listen to any of the dialogue, so how the hell do I know, maybe the characters are actually interesting.
But Bayonetta is just boring.

I listened to some of the music from Shattered Memories. But I think I'm gonna save most of it for when I get the game, since the pre-order comes with the soundtrack.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, what I'm saying is, in a REAL arcade experience, you wouldn't need to see on the screen where you're aiming. You'd just use the sights and aim like you would a real gun.

Plus that crosshair is huge. I mean, the laser is actually realistic, because, there ARE guns with laser sights in real life. So even if it is used as a game mechanic, it's at least believable, and doesn't interfere with the HUD.
But with Resident Evil, I mean, they started with a completely clear screen with nothing on it, and then downgraded to having to have a health bar, and now a big crosshair on the screen. It's counterproductive. Video Games should be aiming to get rid of the HUD, or at least incorporate it into the scene like in Dead Space. Not put more elements onto the screen.

But yeah, when I saw the 'story trailer' for Bayonetta, right away I didn't like it. It just seemed generic and bland, and judging from the demo, it's exactly that. I never got into Devil May Cry, but from what I played of the first one, it at least kept me entertained as far as cinematics went. The fourth one got a little ridiculous, with that one scene where you finish off that boss, and the guy slams his sword into him, and then jumps in the air and shoots the sword, to hammer it further in. That's like... So over the top, that it stops being cool.
But I didn't listen to any of the dialogue, so how the hell do I know, maybe the characters are actually interesting.
But Bayonetta is just boring.

I listened to some of the music from Shattered Memories. But I think I'm gonna save most of it for when I get the game, since the pre-order comes with the soundtrack.

yeah i see what you mean. man please tell me Shattered Memories ISN'T going to be a Wiii exclusive? T____T anyway im going to head over to a friends house for the weekend so any response back to me i wont be able to get to until a couple of days from now. now you and Stranger play nice wink while im gone xD  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 pm
The official release date for the PS2 and PSP versions is January 15th.
I don't have a Wii, remember? So it's not like I'd pre-order a Wii game just for a soundtrack that comes with it.

On another note, I've been in that heated debate with Stranger, I didn't get a chance to share the good news.
First of all, I joined a progressive metal band. This drummer and guitarist got together and were looking for a vocalist. I had a jam session with them, and they loved the way I sing, so there you go. I'll be writing lyrics for our first song this weekend. We still need a bassist though.

Secondly, I've also been cast in a short student film. The shooting begins this Sunday. So I'm getting a baby step run up to my #1 career.

And heck, for all I know, I'll make it in the music business. Either way, it's all awesome.
I'm still broke, and no paying job. But at least I'm keeping proactive. And both of these things are definitely gonna boost my career, for sure.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 728 729 730 731 732 733 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games