Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 740 741 742 743 744 745 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibito7

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:36 am
O: Mini!?! Nyu! The greatest blow to any Internet addict! Dx  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:12 am
        wilber pan feat. akon ftw.
        lol

according to last time i checked, sin was worth around three mill.
        o w o

Princess Rhode
Crew

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:14 am
emo for elf.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:30 pm
I'm starting to consider moving out of my parents house, as that way I won't be under their constant supervision. But before I do so I'll have to finda part-time job of my own, and in this current recession climate that's going to be extremely hard to do. My parents don't understand the internet at all. They think I just use it for playing games. stressed  

Minielf

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 am
hail sin!

I'm 18 and moving out... Well, I'll be 18 and ten months when I leave. So long home. La... this is gonna be weird... life-changing... lonely... but good. It will be good. (:  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm
Are you ready to move out though? Unless you're planning to live at a university campus, you're going to have to find some place to rent and get a decent job to pay for all the bills. That's going to be tough, since I've heard that the UK is in deep s**t at the moment with the recession and all. People are losing jobs at the rate of like one person a day, and I doubt the property market is as crash-hot as it was a year ago.

I've been considering moving out for a few years now, but with the job market as tight as it is right now, it's better if I have a roof over my head now than venturing out alone to get slaughtered like a naked lamb. ninja xd  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 pm
I'd love to move out...if only I had a few more independent bones in my body.

Went to see Dylan Moran last night! The man is just too adorable for words.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 am
Mentally, I am more than ready to move out, yes. Emotionally, I am also ready. Realistically... nearly; it's one of those cases of, if I don't, I will never be ready. In terms of practicality I'm far from ready - I don't really know how to cook (since Mum hates anyone ruining the kitchen) and the only washing machine I know how to work is our own and that's because, well, it's our own. xD However, those things won't take long to adjust to... Well, not for me; I'm sure for most people who have had a pampered life such as mine (i.e. parents insist on doing absolutely everything and chores are basically non-existent) find it difficult to adjust to a life where they have to be independent, and I'm sure I'll have the same problems, but I think I'll actually enjoy it to some extent. The only thing I'll despise is ironing. Dx

But anyway, you meant financially. Of course not. I'm 18 years old - I've never technically worked and I certainly don't have enough money to buy or rent a place. However, there are what you call student loans over here, which every student, from whatever background, is entitled to apply for. You apply for the money you require to fund your university course (for me, that's £3,225 a year) and you apply for a maintenance fee also, which covers living expenses. That's what I, personally, am entitled to and these have to be paid off once you graduate uni and are earning more than £15,000 a year. However, I can't get government grants which do not need to be re-paid, since my parents' income exceeds the rate they allow... Meaning this is all the support I'm gonna get.

Kinda crap, 'cause my accommodation at uni will cost, if I manage to get an en-suite room, approximately £4,000 a year. It appears I am only allowed to borrow £3,600 (the maintenance fee they'll loan me). The extra £400 will have to come from somewhere else. -_-;; This isn't including living expenses such as food, etc. So yes, uni is not going to be financially easy. Luckily for me, my parents have been able to fund my private school education; they'll have considerably less to fund when I go to uni. This money I won't have to repay.

After my first year at uni, I'll have to move out of student accommodation and into the living area around my uni. That's when I'll need to rent (most people will certainly not be able to buy!).

So no, I won't need to get a job, and neither will I need to work. I think I will work, though; not properly, but if I can find something simple, I'll do it just to save up some money and get some experience in the world. I'm lucky really in that my parents can fund my university education.  

Chibito7

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm
So you're planning to take student loan that will cover your accomodation expenses? Well I guess that takes care of the short term problem, but it could prove problematic in the future once you have to start paying it back. And what about your academic tuition fees? Are they covered by a government subsidised loan as well? if they are then gosh you're going to be owing tens of thousands of pounds in debt to the govenment by the time you graduate. blaugh xd

I strongly recommend you find a part time job, even if your parents cover the balance of living expenses. After all, if you're planning to move to rental housing next year then you need to have a steady stream of income before hand. Since you don't have any work experience though, I think it will be a hard ask to find anything other than low-paying jobs such as supermarket teller or a cleaner. I've had over four years experience as a carer and work placements at some major firms, but of the several job applications I've done so far, none of have been successful.

Whatever happens, I wish you good luck when you're moving out. I should have moved out as soon as started uni, but it's too late to do anything about it now.

EDIT: I envy your parents! I wish my parents doted on me as much as your parents! But they're forcing me to work for them and do labour around the house. xp My mother's even threatened to kick me onto the streets at the end of the year. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 am
Mid semester exam!

Facial muscles and the skull!

And physics! neutral  

cold_blooded_chick

Princess Rhode
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:47 am

yay physics. ;c

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am
Ew physics. Dx

Yep, I will take a student loan to cover most of the accommodation, and Mummy and Daddy dearest will pay the rest - most likely another £1,000, including the additional money for accommodation, living expenses like food, etc.

It is an issue to pay all that money back. I believe it will amount to at least £20,000, heh. However, you don't pay this money back until you earn more than £15,000 a year, and you pay it back monthly; the sum depends on the amount you earn - the more you earn, the more you pay back. So it won't affect me so much; I'll pay it like a mortgage every month and I won't feel it over the years. It'll take a while to pay off, but so would a house, etc. It has to be done.

Part-time, yes... But like you already said, it's so very difficult finding jobs in this climate; I don't envy the students you are graduating uni right now and entering the work industry. Dx I will try and do something small, but only if I can find something. If I do find a job, I'd only do it after a few months since settling into uni life. If I don't, it's not the end of the world; I can get a part-time job when I come home during the summer, since that's about five months of my life on hold. Lots of people do that.

Thank you. (: I look forward to it, even though I know it's not going to be easy.

Ick. Well, my parents, like I've said before several times, are the really over-protective, paranoid type. They stop(ped) me from doing a lot of stuff; I still can't attend sleepovers and I am technically not allowed to date (I say technically because I'm 18, I can do what I want in terms of dating, but they don't want it whatsoever). However, they love me a lot and I appreciate that. (:  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 pm
I'm back!
Eww. I think I have coachphobia...
In 4 days we must have spent 30 hours+ on that coach...
We even drove the coach into the train!!!!!! gonk

And I think my eyes are blinded by all the white graves...

@ B&B: I've never been able to attend sleepovers either, or go out anywhere except the supermarket ¬.¬

>.< Physics sucks. Biology and Chemistry are OK, though. Genetics is interesting, at least cool

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 am
Well, I'd say that test went alright. I could do almost all the questions, and I did do all the questions.

Come on, high distinction!  

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:02 am
@Liani: Lol I feel your pain. I grew up rather upset rather than angry because of the rules imposed upon me by my parents that my fellow non-Chinese classmates didn't seem to have. I was the only Chinese girl in my primary school and my brother was the only Chinese boy for several years. No one really understood my culture or the life I led at home, and my parents, being immigrants from Hong Kong and China, didn't understand my struggles to fit in in terms of culture at school.

When I became a teenager - probably about your age - I went through a mini rebellion, like most do, and we argued a lot. I wanted independence, I wanted a choice, I wanted freedom. My parents felt I was too young. *shrug* It's a typical story. The only difference is I'm not (well, wasn't, lol) your typical teenager; I was also overly sensible myself (perhaps inherited from my parents, ahaa), so I never fell into the bad habits of drinking, drugs, smoking, etc. I don't think my parents realise how lucky they are that I didn't. rolleyes *laughs*

One of the things that always irritated me throughout my life was that I couldn't even step out of the house without an adult. Even as a fourteen-year-old my parents were concerned about me attending a party without an adult, etc. It hasn't been until recently, since I turned sixteen, that we've come to a mutual agreement; my parents have become more lenient because I'm older and they have to let go, and I have come to accept their overbearing-ness and deal with it until I leave home (which is pretty soon-ish). Hopefully your parents will be the same. Because let's face it: we don't stay children forever. We may be our parents' children forever, but the point of growing up is being able to make your own choices, and parents have to understand and respect that. If my parents hadn't started to adapt to me growing up, I would still be arguing with them heatedly on a daily basis. We do still have the odd confrontations, and each time we do I am grateful for the fact I will be moving away soon after over eighteen years of over-exposure with my parents and my brother, but I love them to death and will really, really miss them when I go. Luckily, the University of York is just an hour away from Manchester. (:  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 740 741 742 743 744 745 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games