Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 741 742 743 744 745 746 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:40 pm
Your parents are the exact antithesis to my parents B&B. My mum encourages me to get out of the house more often. In fact, she even sometimes forces to accompany her out of the house even when I don't want to. Ever since I started high school my parents have had no problems with me spending hours in the city by myself or with friends. So in some ways I'm luckier than you in that my parents never put such burdensome restrictions upon me. But on the other hand they've probably never supported me as much as your parents might. I've accepted the fact they're not going to buy me stuff that I want, which is a moot point anyway since I can always buy them myself. But more recently they've sort of given me an ultimatum to find a full time job since they don't want to support me anymore.

Honestly I find it funny that you and me are in two completely contrasting positions. You want to leave home but your parents are reluctant to let you, whilst my parents want me to move out of home but I'd prefer to stay for a few more years.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:12 am
*laughs* To be honest, Mini, your parents sound like the average white parents in Britain. xD;; That's what they're usually like; they don't put much emphasis on supporting their children, preferring to encourage independence. I have a friend whose parents refuse to fund her university education if she doesn't move away further than a specific distance... which is just stupid, frankly. It's obvious they want her to be independent, but she's really independent as it is (perhaps more so, because her parents have totally screwed her up...), but it feels a little cold to say that to your child...

But yes, we'll always want what we can't have. ^^;; However, as long as we accept what we have and remain content for the most part, things should be fine. We can't change who our parents are, or who are siblings are, or who our children are. You take all the bad... and the good. (:  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:52 am
Actually, I don't really care about not being able to get out by myself, because there's no-where around the place I live that anyone would want to go to except Tesco's ¬.¬ (I live in the suburbs of Bristol...)

O.O I'm like a hermit. I stay indoors and never come out ¬.¬
Most of the time they take my sister and go shopping or something and I stay at home playing piano~
Which is just as well because my dad hates all the pieces I'm playing except the really slow and quiet Consolation, which i've just finished (though I swear my teacher's only heard me play it twice).
And sometimes they force me to go shopping with them or something, which sucks because shopping is my least favourite leisure.

All my parents encourage me to do is maths ¬.¬

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am
Lol, Liani, I'm the same - I stay at home most of the time anyway and watch TV or go on the Internet. It can be a bit frustrating, though, when you're eighteen years old and unable to take a step out without permission. But my parents have laxed, so it's all good. (:  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 pm
@ B&B: Beh. Lucky you, then ^.^
Why are we the only people in this thread now?
Where have Elfy and CBC and Niphy and Sin gone? ninja

OMG. My friend's gone mental. I think she needs a psychologist. She watched a random film over the weekend, and now all she talks about is how she's lead such a selfish life, and how she's going to change and be better in the future. She even phoned her parents at like, midnight to tell them that she was sorry for being such a selfish daughter, and burst into tears and was pleading her dad not to have an affair with another woman, even though he never has. And then she was trying to commit suicide for borrowing someone's folder without their permission, and she tore down her book critique from the wall in English class, because she felt bad about critisizing the writing. I mean, WTF?! This was because of a film?!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:11 am
Because most people have exams at this time of year - so do I, I just make a little time to sign in every day. ^^;; Will probably stop soon.

O_O;;
...Sounds like she's gone mental.  

Chibito7

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 am
Yeah, that's why you should never smoke marijuana.  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:46 am
ninja

cba signing in again as chibi  

BlacksandBlues

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 pm
OMG it's B&B's original account!! But who's controlling it? Is it B&B herself or is it somone else pretending to be B&B? ninja

@Liani: Though I don't have exams at the moment, I'm just as busy as Niph or Sin with work and study. Plus when there's nothing to talk about in this thread I prefer to lurk instead.  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:23 am
There's a lot to talk about.

I'll start something: everyone's talking about independence and growing up. What if, like me, you feel like everyone around you is growing up except for you?  

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:51 pm
Look at the white text. P;

@cbc: I've never felt that. I guess it's 'cause, besides with my cousins who are all (besides one) older than me by quite a few years, I have always been the oldest one. I'm the oldest of two kids and although I'm not the oldest in my group of friends, I have never felt younger than them and usually, in some cases, think in a more mature way than them. *shrug* I believe myself to be secretly the most mature out of my friends, save for perhaps one, but I'm totally biased.

To be honest, I always feel older than everyone else; I definitely feel older than my peer group in the sense that all they do is go out clubbing and getting wasted. *shrug* It's not my kinda thing and I can stand back and think it's a total waste of time. I'm not wasting my young adulthood doing that s**t. ^^;; I've got better things to do with my life. Some people would argue that's not being 'mature', because adults do it too, but I would class myself as more mature than the idiots in my year who sit around talking about boys, make-up and clubbing. *cringe* Ick.

But anyway, I think it's frustrating to feel like you're the only one not growing up. Concurrently, though, it sucks to grow up too fast and you leave everyone else behind. I'm glad I've always felt in the right place for my age... But it annoys me when my parents imply I'm too young to do some things. I wish, then, that I'd grow up faster.  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 am
Yeah, those are some of the points in this whole not-growing-up thing as well. But I'm opposite of you. I don't do the clubbing/bf/make-up thing, but not doing them makes me feel like I'm not growing up!

Logically, I know that's not true, you don't have to get wasted every night to be an adult. But implicit peer pressure is a very powerful thing.  

cold_blooded_chick

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:10 pm
@ B&B: I'm the exact opposite. Since my birthday's in mid-August, I've always been the youngest. Almost all my friends are older than me, even out of school.
I've never been bothered about not growing up as fast as anyone else. I don't want to grow old either >.< Die young. It's a lot less boring than dying as an old lady who is bedridden ¬.¬ 18 or 19 is a nice age to stay.

My friend and I are seriously considering studying genetics and trying to make a gene that makes you stay young forever xD Though it would be kind of useless, because by the time we make it we'll be old grannies.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:16 pm
Yes, I understand peer pressure; and it sucks. I've always been quite individualistic and anti-conformist, but it helps I have friends who accept me for who I am, and that gives me confidence to be the real me and not care what other people think. I have a friend who enjoys clubbing, and all of them do drink alcohol (most of them sensibly), and although one or two of them would try and get me to drink, they respect my wishes and they don't mind. Your friends - real friends - should never force you to do something you don't want to do, and I don't want to club. (:

Yeah, when you're a kid, things like clubbing etc. seem like the only things that matter in the world, because they symbolise your newfound adulthood. And I'm not saying you shouldn't want to go clubbing, because if you enjoy it you should go, as long as you stay safe. (: But I am against compromising my beliefs etc. for peer pressure and whatnot. I am me and I won't change myself at the expense of fitting in. I'll just find people who I fit in with. But yeeah... that's me for you. ^^;;  

Chibito7

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:11 am
I'd totally fund that genetic research. 3nodding  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 741 742 743 744 745 746 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games