Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 747 748 749 750 751 752 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:18 pm
Texting: I text, but not heavily. I mainly only do it with my girlfriend, because that's the way she is. However, if you text in the middle of a movie in a theatre, you deserve to have your a** kicked. I have nothing against cellphone games. I've played some pretty damn good ones. Also, it really annoys me to be around people who constantly have their noses in their cellphone. I went out to dinner with a few old friends of mine a while back, and there was an instance where all 3 of them were looking down and texting different people on their cellphones at the same time, completely alienating themselves from anything real going on around them. I just sat and watched them in silence. Until I finally went, "you ******** and you cellphones". Then they all laughed, but kept doing it.

Final Fantasy IIIX: I don't give a s**t. Haven't given a s**t since X and X-2. I did play the DS remakes, though.

Silent Hill: Yeah. I am currently playing through Silent Hill 2 for the very first time. I've never really made it secret, though I've never really come out and said it either, I've never been a fan of Silent Hill. I played through the first one briefly way back when, got stuck in that school or whatever, and just kinda dropped it and forgot about it. It wasn't compelling enough for me to go back to. And it didn't scare me, just kinda bored me. I don't know, I just couldn't get into it. I also played SH3 briefly at my father's way back, and actually really liked what I played, but, well, never got it. I also played quite a bit of The Room when my sister's boyfriend at the time left it at our house. I actually got quite far in that one, but he took it back before I could beat it. I actually quite enjoyed that one, and it is often considered the worst of the series. But Silent Hill 2. From what I always hear, this the one; this is "the pinnacle of Survival Horror". Well, so far it's a lot like the original. Run through a maze, can't see two feet in front of me with the fog. It kinda makes me wish they made a videogame of The Mist, though. I know the infamous Pyramid Head is in this one. But having no real knowledge of him outside of the big internet meme he was, I doubt he's gonna scare me much. So far, the game is boring the s**t out of me, but I'm determined to see it through to the end. If only to discover what all the fuss is about, and to say I've played it.

And I will follow up in the debate forum when, well, I feel like it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 pm
I don't get that, man. If the game is boring you, don't play it. I've talked to people who think MGS is boring. I myself found Dead Space and Bayonetta boring. There's nothing wrong with that.
I was never captivated by Bioshock. And I don't intend on beating it JUST so that I can say I've beaten it.
If you wanna grind through it, go ahead. I loved SH2 from the minute I started it, and that's why I kept playing. And frankly, as far as survival horror goes, it've enjoyed it more than Resident Evil.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 pm
God, not me. I'll take RE over SH any day of the week. What I am hoping here, though, is that it gradually becomes more compelling and less boring. If this game is as good as everyone says, my patience should pay off. Plus, I'm kinda doing a Survival Horror marathon right now between Illbleed, Cursed Mountain, and SH2.

And yeah, I bought Bioshock dirt-cheap at Sam's Club like half a year ago, and STILL haven't even taken it out of the shrinkwrap yet. That's just pathetic. I hear it's even kinda Survival Horror-like, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm
Well, with SH2, there's so much symbolism in the storyline, and even within the level design, there's hardly anything there for no reason, you know? So it probably took me about 2 or 3 playthroughs to truly appreciate it for its finer details. What the characters represent, what the monsters represent, the finer details of the storyline.
Plus you can't tell me that you're not enjoying the storyline.

I really do recommend Shattered Memories though, it's taken Silent Hill in a completely different direction. And not a bad one, either.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:37 pm
Yeah, I know there's multiple endings and s**t too. And to tell you the truth, I'm not far enough into yet to really tell you what the storyline IS. xd All I really know is this dude's dead wife sent him a letter to come to Silent Hill. And now I'm running through a maze of fog and monsters, and have picked up a key and a few other trinkets, but I constantly have to refer to the map, because the exploration is kinda hindered with all the fog. Hopefully, I will adapt to this. Illbleed was frustrating as hell at first, but once I learned and adapted to it, I found a damn fun and unique game. That's Survival Horror for ya. Hoping the same for SH2, and then I'll play through the rest. I will say it does have great music, though. And I dig the tone. I'll comment further when I've beaten it.

I'm trying to collect all the Survival Horror games I can. The genre as we knew it may be excinct, but there's plenty out there I never played, or haven't played in years. Clock Tower is coming in the mail. Can't wait. Scissorman is awesome. I hope we see a next-gen Clock Tower with Scissorman.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm
@Thee Stranger: Why have you stopped giving a s**t for final fantasy? Just wondering.

I never played 10 or 11, and got roughly 20 hours into XII before I decided to say f*** it to that. I'm really excited for XIII because it will be the first FF game I play with a futuristic setting (Whereas I consider VII and VIII to have a more contemporary one).

Also, how is Cursed Mountain?  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 pm
@Stranger: Well, how far along are you? Have you not been indoors yet? Once you find your way, the pacing is gonna get a little more tolerable. It's only at first that you're aimlessly trying to find your way through the streets. I mean, that key does unlock something. ninja

Also, if you're playing Survival Horror games, I suggest giving Obscure a try. It's not GREAT, but it's a fairly good game. The storyline is inspired by The Faculty, and movies like that. And it's got some memorable characters and great voice overs (Tara Platt heart ).
The gameplay isn't Amazing, but it's pretty solid, and it does have Co-op, if you wanna play it with someone. And unlike certain other games, this one was made specifically to be played with co-op, so it wasn't just tacked on.

It's really survivaly. You'll find yourself saying, "Okay, I'm low on health. No ammo... What the ******** do I do?"

The cool thing is that there's lots of characters, and if I remember correctly, if one character dies, you can keep playing with a different character, OR choose to load your last save. So you got options like that. Which unfortunately wasn't the case with the sequel, where if you die, it's game over. But I still found Part 2 more fun, though.

Give it a gander after you play through all the other ones.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm
Well, I got X on release date, and I hated it. Hated the fact it had voice actors now too. Then when they finally choose to make a direct sequel to one of the FF games, THAT'S the one they choose? And it's all J-Pop s**t. Pretty much lost all its integrity right there. Then the next one was an MMORPG, and I just tuned out. I haven't been following it since, so I really know nothing about XII and XIII. And also note that while I liked it, I've never been fanatical about Final Fantasy (and yes, I was playing FF long before VII), and have always thought the series was vastly overrated since VII on. But that's just me.

Cursed Mountain is awesome. Definitely recommend it. Though there are flaws. One being that it's pretty linear. I mean, all games are linear to a certain degree, but you start off in Cursed Moutain in a town with all these houses. Certain doors can be opened, but most of them can't. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but the game gives no explanation or anything, like "It's locked". Just nothing. The motion controls are almost flawless EXCEPT when it comes to thrusting the remote forward to banish the spirits. Here's a pro tip: When thrusting the Wii remote forward, hold the Wiimote PERPENDICULAR to the floor, and the thrust will work perfectly 99.8% of the time. So, using that technique for the thrust, the motion controls are basically flawless.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Thee Stranger
Well, I got X on release date, and I hated it. Hated the fact it had voice actors now too. Then when they finally choose to make a direct sequel to one of the FF games, THAT'S the one they choose? And it's all J-Pop s**t. Pretty much lost all it's integrity right there. Then the next one was an MMORPG, and I just tuned out.

Cosigned.

I've been reading up on XIII, and it seems pretty cool, if you don't look at it AS Final Fantasy. Because yeah, Final Fantasy will always be voiceless to me. I know most people in our generation lost it, but I still HAVE that thing called Imagination. And imagining different characters in FF sounding a certian way was always awesome.
But I might check out FFXIII if nothing else, because it looks gorgeous.

Phew... Well, I just finished the new Silent Hill... For the fifth time since it came out on PSP, three days ago. I think I'm finally ready to give it a rest. Gonna give the Lunar Demo for PSP a try.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:50 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
@Stranger: Well, how far along are you? Have you not been indoors yet? Once you find your way, the pacing is gonna get a little more tolerable. It's only at first that you're aimlessly trying to find your way through the streets. I mean, that key does unlock something. ninja

Also, if you're playing Survival Horror games, I suggest giving Obscure a try. It's not GREAT, but it's a fairly good game. The storyline is inspired by The Faculty, and movies like that. And it's got some memorable characters and great voice overs (Tara Platt heart ).
The gameplay isn't Amazing, but it's pretty solid, and it does have Co-op, if you wanna play it with someone. And unlike certain other games, this one was made specifically to be played with co-op, so it wasn't just tacked on.

It's really survivaly. You'll find yourself saying, "Okay, I'm low on health. No ammo... What the ******** do I do?"

The cool thing is that there's lots of characters, and if I remember correctly, if one character dies, you can keep playing with a different character, OR choose to load your last save. So you got options like that. Which unfortunately wasn't the case with the sequel, where if you die, it's game over. But I still found Part 2 more fun, though.

Give it a gander after you play through all the other ones.

Not far at all, man. Just got it in the mail yesterday. Yeah, I haven't gotten indoors yet. xd

But yeah, I was definitely planning on picking up second one and playing it with my friend on Wii at some point. Your recommendation solidifies that purchase, though. I'll probably pick up the first one too, as I'm a completist. And I like having multiple characters to choose from, too. That's an aspect of Illbleed I really liked.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:01 pm
Well, there's still many characters in the second one, you're just not allowed to kill off any of them, and usually, they're forcefully divided into groups, so you don't really have a constant selection. Though you do during some parts. The final boss fight in Obscure 2 kinda reminded me of the final boss fight in RE0, only it was a lot more fun, and more intense.

EDIT: Wow... Totally didn't comment on Silent Hill... Yeah, once you get indoors, the pacing will pick up a bit... I mean, you know... Depends on how good you are at puzzles and exploring and stuff. But yeah, it's not like one of those games you have THESE days, where it looks like a big lush world, but that's all it is, and being indoors isn't even really a part of the game. That's the problem with open sandbox games these days. A lot of them restrict you purely to outdoors, and that gets boring for me. They'll cocktease you with the inside of a building in a cinematic, but then just throw you back out there.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 am
@Thee Stranger: If my opinion counts for anything, I also recommend Obscure: The Aftermath. It was so fun to play with a friend.

A warning, though: Make sure your friend knows how to actually use the wiimote. There's one boss battle in that game that makes you do a very, very specific motion, and my friend kept on doing some frantic waggle sh**, and he kept on killing us. xd I cursed him out, and then he quit saying he didn't want to play anymore, so I beat the boss by myself, and then coaxed him back into playing. Ahh, good times.

Ooh, we both shared another instance in that game that was very awesome and frightening. It's sort of spoilery, so this is more for Bio unless you don't care. So, when we got to the house in the woods with the chainsaw maniac in the basement, we didn't know he was in the basement. So with the usage of great sound effects, when we heard that chainsaw coming really close, we both panicked and ran into the chimney. We didn't know what was happening (Cause the angle wouldn't let us see outside of it), so we stayed in there for five minutes, scared as s**t. xd  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 pm
Sorry, I don't exactly remember that part. sweatdrop We finished it in like, one playthrough, so I guess my brain didn't process everything.
And I wouldn't know about that remote part, I played the PS2 version.

Well, I've signed up with a Security company. Gonna take 2 days worth of classes next week, and then, I'm employed. That's one step closer to getting out of this shithole. And getting back on track with my acting classes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:10 pm
Finally! I thought nobody would frickin' play Shattered Memories and I'd never be able to talk about it! xd

Alright, not sure if Bio agrees, but it's easily the best since SH3 for me. razz

And I'd say the story is neck-and-neck with SH2. Won't elaborate more on that outside spoiler tags, but Bio knows what I'm talking about. I got the (MASSIVE, MASSIVE END OF GAME SPOILER) ending where Dr. K is all pissed off and you just get hit with the whole "Your mother isn't the monster you make her out to be" line and Harry opens the door. I about s**t myself.

And I cried a little. sad

But yeah, really, hats off to Climax. I'd be more than willing to see what they could do with an SH2 Shattered Memories-type game. Or at least just take this canon reboot further and follow the story it created. And the music was really different to accommodate the new, frozen Otherworld and whole snowy theme, and it sounds... pardon the pun, but chilling. Akira Yamaoka does it again. biggrin

If you have a Wii, PS2, or PSP, I highly recommend picking it up.

Oh, and Bio, how 'bout that apartment building eh? If it wasn't tense before, I got the worst feeling in my stomach when (more spoilers)
I opened the door to go down the small staircase and instead was met with that super-long staircase hanging over absolutely nothing.
That entire Otherworld segment was so awesome. xd  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 pm
Canas Renvall
Finally! I thought nobody would frickin' play Shattered Memories and I'd never be able to talk about it! xd

Alright, not sure if Bio agrees, but it's easily the best since SH3 for me. razz

Well, that depends on what you mean, Canas. SH3, I think, was the scariest in the series, but I wouldn't say it's the best.
Here's how I rank my SH games, in terms of storyline:

SH2
SH Homecoming
SH Shattered Memories
SH4 The Room
SH1
SH3
SH Origins

In terms of Horror:
SH3
SH2
SH4 The Room
SH1
SH Origins
SH Shattered Memories
SH Homecoming

So if you average it out based on those things, which are the two main factors I look for in a Silent Hill game, it's...

SH2 Being #1.
SH3 and 4 being tied for second.
Homecoming, SH1 and Shattered Memories tied for third.
And Origins last.

But that's being technical. If you're looking purely at storyline, I didn't much care for SH3.

Canas Renvall

And I'd say the story is neck-and-neck with SH2. Won't elaborate more on that outside spoiler tags, but Bio knows what I'm talking about. I got the (MASSIVE, MASSIVE END OF GAME SPOILER) ending where Dr. K is all pissed off and you just get hit with the whole "Your mother isn't the monster you make her out to be" line and Harry opens the door. I about s**t myself.
Spoiler:Well, Dr. K does that in every ending (Except UFO. XD) The only thing that differs is the conversation between Cheryl and Harry. But yeah, that was a great twist, I honestly didn't see it coming until the very end.

Canas Renvall

But yeah, really, hats off to Climax. I'd be more than willing to see what they could do with an SH2 Shattered Memories-type game. Or at least just take this canon reboot further and follow the story it created. And the music was really different to accommodate the new, frozen Otherworld and whole snowy theme, and it sounds... pardon the pun, but chilling. Akira Yamaoka does it again. biggrin
Yeah, you know, if Konami officially says, "This is the direction we're taking the whole series," I wouldn't mind it. >>I always loved the psychological aspect of Silent Hill, but never cared that much for the occult side of it. The Order, trying to birth God in SH1 and 3, the cult rituals and all that, that's not what defined Silent Hill for me. So I didn't mind it at all that Memories was so ambiguous, with its story. I mean, WAS Harry real? Or was he just made up? It's hard to say. If he was Real, he'd be kinda like Maria, right? An incarnation based on what Heather wanted him to be. But for all we know, it was ALL in her head.

I'm very happy with Climax. Origins didn't have the most original storyline, but it was a great starter game for them. And to be fair, if you wanna say, "Does Origins capture the true essence of a Silent Hill game?" Yes, it does. You explore a foggy town. You explore creepy buildings, you explore a creepy otherworld version of those buildings. You got multiple endings, including a UFO one. It's Silent Hill in your pocket. Then SH1 was released, now Shattered Memories, the PSP has three Silent Hill games for it. Which is awesome. Because the town can come with me wherever I go.

And I dunno if you unlocked the UFO ending in Shattered Memories, but that was probably the most random, and the most hilarious UFO ending out of all the Silent Hills, I lost my s**t when I saw it.

If Climax are designated as the official developers of future Silent Hill games, I'll be happy.

Canas Renvall

Oh, and Bio, how 'bout that apartment building eh? If it wasn't tense before, I got the worst feeling in my stomach when (more spoilers)
I opened the door to go down the small staircase and instead was met with that super-long staircase hanging over absolutely nothing.
That entire Otherworld segment was so awesome. xd
Yeah, the level design kicked a** in that game. The icy world actually looked a lot better than I expected. And the transition, the way everything gradually frosts over. Not only was it cool, but man, I honestly didn't even think that a PSP game was capable of something that awesome. Also, I liked the way the endings were delivered. That there's technically 2 endings. An ending, and an epilogue, with the camera reel and you could get different results that way.

Oh, and also, Yuri Lowenthal did the voice for John. And I met him. mrgreen  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 747 748 749 750 751 752 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games