Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 750 751 752 753 754 755 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Liani Vine
I think I need a new pair of glasses as well...

@ Niphy: I didn't take it that seriously... and it was a good laugh when one of my friends came back from the nurse distributing the pills, saying that she had been asked whether she was breastfeeding xD

Hmm... I heard about MJ's death in the radio yesterday morning. My dad heard it and went "... I bet there's going to be crying fans everywhere," and sure enough two seconds later a crying fan popped up and was blubbering that she didn't know what she was going to do, and she didn't want it to end this way... I mean, gosh. Did she ever even speak to him?
And then they played about half an hour of music, and I didn't realise that it was him singing for the first 10 mins, because I thought it was a woman ¬.¬

It's not surprising that you thought it was a woman-MJ was known to have an extremely girly voice. It's not that noticeable in his songs but when he's speaking normally he totally sounds like a woman. 3nodding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:37 am

I loved him when he was pre-pubescent.

cold_blooded_chick

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 am

Niphy has perfect vision ;D
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:35 am

I'm really pissed off. A year or so ago my eyesight had stabilised... about -7 and -9 in my right and left eyes respectively. Which is bad, yeah, but I thought, this isn't bad, I haven't penetrated the double minus digits like my dad - there is hope for me yet! Then my eyesight suddenly worsened loads and now it's almost -9 in my right and -11.5 in my left - this is without my sitgmatism as well. -_-;; My brother has some weird eye disease in his left eye and my dad had an operation on his eyes a few weeks back. Basically, I'm screwed. Great.

Glasses for me always cost a lot. I need special ultra thin lenses 'cause I have such bad vision and to have normal thickness would be too heavy for my nose... So having bad eyesight is not only a daily hassle for me, but it costs my parents a lot of money too... *sigh*

Ironically I can't live without wearing glasses. I've had them since I was 7 and i feel vulnerable without them on. Not just because I can't see anything, but because I feel naked without them. *shrug* I look weird without glasses. I'm not one of those people desperate to wear contacts or have laser treatment. No thanks.

If you're Chinese and have bad eyesight it's likely to be myopia (i.e. short-sightedness). Damnit.

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:26 pm

@ Niphy: Darn you... Some people get all the luck. stare

@ B&B: My eyesight's actually not that bad, it's only -0.5 in my left eye and -1 in my right, but by the time I'm 18 it will probably be about -10 as well if I carry on like this O.O

I just watched Angels and Demons. I haven't even got to the end of it yet and I've already seen people being burnt, shot, drowned, suffocated, branded and getting their eyeballs ripped out.
I swear they didn't describe it that gruesomely in the book ¬.¬
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:18 am

Yeah short-sightedness is common amongst Chinese. I have it as well, although not as bad as you B&B. I have like -0.5 in my right eye and -1.5 in left eye. My eyesight's still good enough that I don't need to wear glasses unless I'm driving or sitting in lecture theatres.

Minielf

Chibito7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 pm

*pats you both and sighs* For someone like me, -1s are really nothing. You could survive without glasses with -1. I really am quite blind without glasses. Like when I go to the swimming pool - meh, it's difficult. I realised a while back that the three things that make me feel most vulnerable in front of other people are 1) when naked, 2) when sleeping and 3) not wearing my glasses. It's like I'm trying to hide myself behind them to feel confident. |: Can't live without them. So when people ask me why I don't do laser or contacts, my high prescription (which makes operations and so on riskier) and my fear aren't the only factors.

Lini, I doubt you'll be -10, ever. Usually you only have high-level myopia (i.e. short-sightedness) if you've inherited it. Sadly, my mother has perfect eyesight but my brother and I were unlucky and inherited our dad's genes. ><;;
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Contacts aren't really better than prescription glasses, since they still need to be changed and can cause your eyes to become sore and watery. Laser eye surgery however should be a viable option if your eyesight continues to deteriorate. After all, if you've got other eye problems other than myopia B&B, there is a risk that they could develop into something far serious, like temporary blindness.

Minielf

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 am

Contacts I wouldn't consider because I don't do sports or anything that makes my glasses a hindrance, and I'm scared of the thought of putting in and pulling from my eyes these little things that could get lost behind the back of my retina as well. neutral No thanks. Plus they're expensive and time-consuming.

I won't consider laser because it's possible the operation will go wrong and that will lead to blindness. -_-;; I'd rather not take that risk. At the moment I'm all right. As long as it doesn't deteriorate anymore then I should be okay.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 pm

I guess some people feel more confident when they're not always hiding behind glasses.. Gavin certainly seems to be less tired-feeling when he wears contacts lol. I heard that laser eye surgery only like.. fixes your eyes for a few years and then they get a LOT worse or something..

Niphz
Crew

Chibito7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:07 am

Indeed, that is another reason. Often laser isn't permanent - your eyesight can grow worse again. -_-;;

I think for most people, not wearing glasses is confidence-boosting. I'm just different. (;
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 am

Laser eye surgery is apparently very unreliable, and extremely expensive. They were advertising it on TV and it was like: "Get perfect vision for ONLY £375 per eye!"

@ B&B: My dad's eyesight isn't that bad (though I think it's deteriorating), but my mum's eyesight is awful. I tried on her glasses and I couldn't even focus no matter how hard I tried.

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm

ninja
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Chibito7
Indeed, that is another reason. Often laser isn't permanent - your eyesight can grow worse again. -_-;;

I think for most people, not wearing glasses is confidence-boosting. I'm just different. (;

It depends on the kind of glasses you're wearing. Some people look better with glasses on, especially if their eyes are small. Other people, like me, feel awkward when wearing glasses.

Minielf

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Charlie, give Niphy some golds? ): <3
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 750 751 752 753 754 755 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games