Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 764 765 766 767 768 769 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm
Liani Vine
Oops. Once again I neglected to tell you I was going on holiday for a week sweatdrop

Oh yay. I spent my birthday in the Eden Project, then on a long haul car journey back to Bristol ¬.¬
At least I got a nice laptop~

@ Charlie: Haha! "despair.com"! xD

!! DASG...

@ B&B: It's good to learn manual, because then you can drive both! 3nodding (< failed attempt at being philosophical gonk )

And anyway, you're right, not many people drive automatics in the UK.
Over here, automatics are seen as something for old ladies who actually find it difficult to move the gears...
And even old ladies don't all drive automatics.

I kind of find it surprising that most of the cars in the UK are manual. Here in Australia it's the other way around. The majority of the cars (at least the new ones) tend to be automatic cars, whilst the manual cars are generally much more expensive and driven by skilled people. I think this is because Automatic cars are so easy to learn that even noob drivers won't have much problems getting used to them, whereas manual takes a lot of practice. The trade-off is that manual cars have much better handling than auto cars.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:28 pm
Minielf
I kind of find it surprising that most of the cars in the UK are manual. Here in Australia it's the other way around. The majority of the cars (at least the new ones) tend to be automatic cars, whilst the manual cars are generally much more expensive and driven by skilled people. I think this is because Automatic cars are so easy to learn that even noob drivers won't have much problems getting used to them, whereas manual takes a lot of practice. The trade-off is that manual cars have much better handling than auto cars.

I agree. It's a similar situation here in the States, although manual cars are still cheaper than automatics--it's just no one bothers to try and learn them (unless you're weird, like my brother). Considering the amount of bad driving that already occurs, this may be a good thing...

Electric cars are becoming more and more common, though. Good replacement for when all the fossil fuel runs out, I guess.

Hyacinthe Comeaux

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 am
3nodding

*grovels at Fwoom's feet* Sorry about the beta, I'm really busy this week with results, but hopefully I'll have it done next week!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:11 pm
Uh... Maybe British people are the only ones geeky enough to be bothered to learn manual?

@ Fwoom: Yes, and there's also the hydrogen cars, solar-powered cars and those weird cars that run off vegetable oil O.O

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 am
ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:45 am
*scowl* Dunno why we do it but it's stupide. stare  

Chibito7

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 pm
ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 am
This thread is dying again! scream

Where is Niphy when we need her? gonk

@ B&B: Well, I suppose it's beneficial to your, um, eye-foot-hand co-ordination? confused

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Hyacinthe Comeaux

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:25 pm
Liani Vine
Well, I suppose it's beneficial to your, um, eye-foot-hand co-ordination? confused

So is rockband. ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 am
Liani Vine
This thread is dying again! scream

@ B&B: Well, I suppose it's beneficial to your, um, eye-foot-hand co-ordination? confused

I don't think any driver down here agrees with that sentiment-you can't text message on a mobile and manage to drive the car properly if you're in a manual car. lol I've heard a few stories of women using their feet to do the seering wheel and the brakes just so they can apply make up.  

Minielf

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:49 pm
Ah yes, but here it's against the law to use your mobile while driving- you have to have a bluetooth.

My mum and I were in the car, and we had stopped at a roundabout when we saw this woman driving next to us. As soon as she stopped, she hurriedly got out a mirror and started applying lipstick and some kind of facial cream xD It was so funny.

And this lorry driver was arrested because her was driving with his knees on the steering wheel while eating a bowl of spaghetti, and was swerving out of control.

Some people do amuse me~ xd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:01 pm
I don't know about Australia, but it's against the law here, too - and plenty of people do it anyway. Me (sadly) included.

(In my defense, I do usually put it on speakerphone!)

Hyacinthe Comeaux

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 pm
It's against the law to drive whilst using a mobile let alone with both hands free here in Australia too-but hardly anyone follows it to the letter. Almost 90% of drivers use their mobiles whilst driving; my parents do it too. It's so common that most people think it's a natural thing to do.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm
Liani Vine

NIPHY TO THE RESCUE!

Haha I'll be a lot more active when I get back from France. For about 12 days. Then I move to London and will probs disappear again for a term.. P; although we're going to get wireless in our flat so maybe I will be on. We'll see~!

I gotta run now guys love you all xx  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm
Wow, Australians are very... Um... Law-abiding. xD

Yes, you see people using their phone, but most people actually prefer it with a bluetooth, I guess.

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 764 765 766 767 768 769 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games