Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hyacinthe Comeaux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm
Personally, I find people talking with a bluetooth kind of annoying. You think they're saying something to you, and then you think they're babbling, and then you see the little thing on the ear and go "oh..."

That's just me, of course. I'm sure it's very convenient if you're the one using it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:39 am
*waltzes in* Hi all. I've no idea what I've missed.

@Fwoom: You'll have that beta by the end of the week unless my life wants to screw me over again. P;  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:37 am
@ Fwoom: Oh yes, it's actually quite funny what some people say. I was at a bus stop and suddenly this woman who was talking into her bluetooth said: "Yes! The cake! I love you!" (or something of the sort)- really loudly, and everyone turned to her like "O.O WTF?"  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 am
Guys where is t0shi nowadays?  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am
O.O Niphy!

I don't know, where?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am
Hey guys...

I'm trying to write a story set in a British setting, and I was just wondering: would a British kid use 'you guys' when talking to his friends (as in, "'sup, you guys?") or is that more of an American thing?

It's a silly detail, but it's been bothering me a bit. >>

Hyacinthe Comeaux

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:52 pm
Well, most modern day British kids would probably use the same sort of slang as American kids do, so phrases such as 'you guys' would definitely be appropriate. However, if it's a story set in the 1960s or earlier then I'm guessing the speech would be more formal.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 am
Yes to 'you guys' and probably not to 'sup'. Although. I mean. There are people who do say 'sup'. Yeah. It should be okay.

I'd be happy to brit-pick it for you if you want P;  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:07 am
"'sup" and "wassup" here is like, the language of the uneducated... ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am
@Fwoom: Yes to 'you guys'. No to ''sup'. I use the former all the time.

'Sup, guys? xD  

Chibito7

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:51 am
Would the phrase "'Wassup my ******?" cause people offence in the UK? I'm probably sure you'd bet bashed to death if you said that to an African American.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:22 am
The world '******' is considered very racist in the UK; though, like the rule with 'c***k', the black people can use it amongst themselves without much fear of consequences. I call myself 'c***k' all the time, but I know most Chinese people don't like it (such as Toki).  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:34 pm
Yes, "Wassup, my ******" among black people is a little like: "Wassup, bro?"

@ B&B: You call yourself "c***k"? I personally don't find it very offending, but no-one I know calls themself "c***k".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 pm
c***k is one term that doesn't exist in Australia; I've never heard anyone, even white people, say that to me or other Chinese.  

Minielf

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:28 am
Perhaps it's a racist British term?

Nah, I call myself c***k. I'm happy laughing at myself. Anyway, that's what I am - Chinese, c***k. *shrug* The word c***k has a nice sound anyway. I have to be careful where I say it, though! I can say it around white friends because they just look at me in an amused, perhaps surprised way. But with my more sensitive Chinese friends, I've got to be careful. Phff. Being careful about my race around my race. *rolls eyes*  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games