Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 767 768 769 770 771 772 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mymiridon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:33 pm
eek Hewlett Packard is more popular than I thought mrgreen

Haiz Every Bodies!!

(generally, I've stopped addressing people in any form what-so-ever. When I greet friends it's usually "Sorry I'm late" or "How are you? I haven't seen you in forever and a day")  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 am
No self-respecting fic writer would, as I saw one reccer put it, 'go near ff.com with a ten-foot pole'. That site is, for the want of a better word, s**t.

@yalie - xDDD; & /glommmppp for turning up <3  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:09 am
This thread's become ultra-active now we're talking about fanfictions xD

@ Niphy: Fanfiction.net is not that bad... At least there are some literate people on there. However, after I found a Dumbledore x Hermione pairing I think I'm scarred for life...

It is not as bad as the fanfictions on Quizilla. Quizilla= murder. People write on there in leetspeak... (the horror). I don't even know how I came across the evil website.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 am
ff.com is s**t. End of discussion. xD It's the kind of place I used to read stuff on when I was like eleven.  

Niphz
Crew

Chibito7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am
*is amused that the Chatterbox is busy when I'm away*

I am back. *sigh* I do think it's a shame we couldn't meet up, Niphy. D:

ff.net has some rare, quality stuff. You have to really dig for it and be patient... The rest is absolutely shite. xD The amount of times I've wanted to scratch my eyes out searching for good fanfiction...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am
I'd rather do a livejournal 'interest' search for groups than scour ff.net xP

I'm sorry for coming back too late >__<; COME TO LONDON! D;  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm
@ Niphy: *raises eyebrows* I didn't even know fanfiction existed when I was eleven.

But on the whole, I agree. Occasionally you get a well-written story that isn't all mushy and OOC, but the rest is like, so noobish... Compared to some of those 18 year olds, I'm like a godly author.

I was amused to find an article on deviantART about Mary-Sues, which used a HP fanfiction called "My Immortal" as an example (it was apparently deleted for ignorance of proper grammar etc.) It was so badly written that I was laughing my head off for most of it...

"Voldemort fell off his broom and started to scream."

"Voldemort got a dude-ur-so-retarded look on his face." < rofl

"Da only reson Dumbledeor swor is coz he had a hedache ok"

And she thought that "Crookshanks" was a spell! rofl

Seriously. I just love taking the mickey out of bad fanfiction. -wipes tears from eyes-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:51 pm
I'm afraid I have to agree. ffnet is to serious ficcers what, well, 4chan is to the internet.

That's not to say I've never been there. I had an account in middle school that had some eye-gougingly bad Inu-yasha fanfiction on it, but thankfully all traces of that has been wiped from all computer (and the net) forever. >>;;

Then again, everyone starts somewhere. I'm sure most ficcers were in the slush pile at one point or another.

Hyacinthe Comeaux

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:19 pm
Well I admit that Fanfiction.come is mostly full of utter tripe, but there are a few literary gems if you look carefully enough, depending what sort of genre/series you're interested in. Also, it's probably the best place for novice fanfic writers or writers in general to start plying their craft, as the potential audience there is massive, much larger than the traffic that a livejournal would receive. During the past year I've been steadily working on a number of Bleach fanfics, one of which was full-blown novel length, at over 200K+ words. I've temporarily stopped writing there though, since I've got too much university work to take care of.

@Liani: Ah yes, My Immortal is probably the most (IN)famous fanfic ever written. What's more shocking is that the writer of that fic has gone on to become a best selling author of stories that aren't much better in terms of material than that fic.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 am
I was an... advanced child? XD

The LJ groups for the big pairings in each fandom get LOADS of traffic. /nodnod and more specific archive sites are good too. <3  

Niphz
Crew

Chibito7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 am
I haven't written and posted any fanfiction in... three years on ff.net, though, as Fwoom can tell you, I did dabble in some LJ fanfiction during that time period. It just never stuck, like role-playing has done, for me. It's harder, with fanfiction; you're writing by yourself, so the motivation and inspiration has to come directly from you. With role-playing, you have someone to bounce off, there's always so much to say, and the style is completely different to fiction. I always gave up with fanfiction, eventually; either my muse would fade or I'd have no time to keep it up. However, I continue to write when the inspiration strikes, like for Naruto, but those works stay on Word and are never seen because they're never completed. Usually the ideas are fleshed out but never written properly, which is kinda sad.

Actually, it was fanfiction that even got me into internet - ff.net specifically. I made an account at 13 and off I went on my internet adventure. xD I've had quite a few accounts since then, all a load of shite, frankly.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:41 am
I think the first website I ever went on was like barbie.com at the age of 8 xD I was such an internet-savvy child. And by that, I mean internet-corrupted...

..I can never WRITE fics, lol. I mean, I've tried, and some of them have been okay, but nothing special. I can't hold a plot worth a damn, and I can't write humour, so I'm pretty much screwed xD all I do is angsty crap. Oh, and I can't write smut either, 'cause I'm afraid it'll just turn out silly. RPing is okay, I guess, but I've never really found one that I actually enjoyed enough to carry on. Mostly it's cause the other people were, erm, not very good, rofl.  

Niphz
Crew

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 pm
@ Niphy: Hahaha! Barbie.com! I still have to go on there sometimes because my sister demands music to the Barbie songs...
Actually, Barbie movies are a bit of a joke. The only ones worth watching were the two musicals, and that was because they were- well, musicals. And the Barbie in a Christmas Carol one, but it was ripped off Charles Dickens so that doesn't really count.

RPing is good when exciting stuff goes on... I like Bleach RPs ^.^ We are having a tournament at the moment. But yes, it is an off-put when the other people suck at writing. I mean, I'm competing against- what, 16 to 20-year olds, and at the moment I'm competing for the top 3?! And sometimes people make posts which really just make me want to kill myself... I was in a battle once when the opponent goes: "He raped the rope around her wrist" or something O.O

I've never tried writing fanfiction- mostly because most fanfictions have romance in them, and me+attempt at romance= FAIL.

@ Elfy: What?! That person became an author?! What has the world become... First SMeyer, then this...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:50 pm
Niphz
tamcharles
ninja ninja

A double ninja? What have we done to deserve this honour? <3
Heh, sorry. Typo. rofl

Oh yeah... ninja  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Minielf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 pm
Niphz
I think the first website I ever went on was like barbie.com at the age of 8 xD I was such an internet-savvy child. And by that, I mean internet-corrupted...

..I can never WRITE fics, lol. I mean, I've tried, and some of them have been okay, but nothing special. I can't hold a plot worth a damn, and I can't write humour, so I'm pretty much screwed xD all I do is angsty crap. Oh, and I can't write smut either, 'cause I'm afraid it'll just turn out silly. RPing is okay, I guess, but I've never really found one that I actually enjoyed enough to carry on. Mostly it's cause the other people were, erm, not very good, rofl.

People who study law or commerce tend to have trouble writing imaginative stories. At least that's what I've noticed. xd I actually started writing fanfics 6 years ago, but I only discovered ff.com last year.

@B&B: It is hard to continously write a fanfic without giving up. Unless the idea is absolutely brilliant or it's a story you desperately want to write, sooner or later you end up getting writer's block. I wasn't immune to it either; my current fic is two chapters away from completion, but I'm stuck on how to finish it.

@Liani: Yeah, I think she did, at least that's what I heard. Although I have idea if she was a genuiely serious writer or simply a troll. Either way, there's never been a fic that's had more reviews and hate mail than My Immortal.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 767 768 769 770 771 772 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games