Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 770 771 772 773 774 775 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
1. I dunno, seems like Silent Hill Shattered Memories is still Silent Hill to me.
Trust me, it's not. How many Silent Hill games have you played though? I mean, clearly a musical is still a musical. It still has actors on stage, and they still sing.
So yeah, it's like that. It's like, if you play RE2 and RE4 and that's it, you might say, "It's still RE, there's guns, monsters, labs," whatever. So yeah, it depends on how you define it. If you play every single Silent Hill game in order of release, and THEN play Shattered Memories, it'll be a very, very different experience, trust me. So it's like that, because you HAVE seen more than just one musical in your life, right?

Chase Me To The End

2. I don't need to be immersed in a game's universe to enjoy the game itself. I thought that was obvious with my description of Streets of Rage and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on my top 20 list. I don't care if it's Axel or the Hulk, I just love to beat up 16-bit punks and destroy cities. Of course, there are games that I do need to be immersed in to enjoy them, but not the ones where I just play them to f*** around, like RE4.

Yeah, but I mean... Imagine if you change the avatars. Imagine playing Streets of Rage, only you're playing as... Let's say an avatar of a character you don't like... I dunno, I wanna say Barney the Dinosaur, but maybe you like Barney, so I dunno if that's a good analogy for you. And you're beating up other characters that don't fit into a beat-em-up at all. And the music is really annoying, and the backgrounds are all flowers and happiness and stuff... And it's neither here nor there, all there is are gameplay mechanics... Would you still enjoy it?

Chase Me To The End
3. I just meant that I don't think you ever looked at me loving RE4 to be less le gasp then you preferring the ED musicals over the movie because you couldn't ignore the bastardization aspect of it, in which I totally did, only focusing on the fact that I loved to play it and not indulge in it's plot. But I guess that's how it is when it's your least favorite game.
It's how it is when half the reason I bothered buying the game in the first place was the storyline. Only to find out it was THAT.

Barney beating up Koopas and Goombas while Spice Girls music is playing in a game called Streets of Flowers and Happiness? Count me the f*** in!

Well, I don't mind if the characters were logically changed.

And as long as the mechanics were still the same, I wouldn't mind beating up crew members on the set of Bewitched.

Also, loving to listen to the music isn't immersion. I could just as well listen to other music I like and it wouldn't matter.

Immersion to me is just in the story aspect.

I don't really care about the story of Streets of Rage. I just want to beat up people in it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Chase Me To The End
Barney beating up Koopas and Goombas while Spice Girls music is playing in a game called Streets of Flowers and Happiness? Count me the f*** in!
Okay, well.. What about some no-name cartoon characters that you never heard of, and the music was like... I dunno... Not present. I mean, Spice Girls is Spice Girls, but what about music that's neither here not there. No real melody, just a half assed beat with some emotionless tone.

Chase Me To The End

And as long as the mechanics were still the same, I wouldn't mind beating up crew members on the set of Bewitched.
Well, by that logic... Why play RE4? If RE4's mechanics have been copied time and again, and some of those games might actually have storylines WORTH paying attention to, why bother with RE4 anymore?

Chase Me To The End
Also, loving to listen to the music isn't immersion. I could just as well listen to other music I like and it wouldn't matter.
Yeah, but the point is, not even the music in this particular game would be enjoyable.

Chase Me To The End
Not really. I mean, playing something like Worms Armageddon... I can get easily immersed into Worms, even without a storyline. It's about the idea of these two groups of worms waging warfare on one another. You don't know why. You don't care, what you do care about is like... Your worm starts out in a trench with the enemy worm, and you just go, "Okay, b*****d. I'll kill you before you kill me! It's on!" It's still plenty immersive without having some storyline, because the artificial universe in that game, the premise is actually really cool in a weird sort of way.

Chase Me To The End

I don't really care about the story of Streets of Rage. I just want to beat up people in it.
Same with with Streets of Rage. What is it? It's like... Cops, or whatever, beating up bad guys in this really urban setting. That's what makes it cool. I mean, you could have another beat-em-up, that plays exactly the same, but it's about a martial arts master in feudal Japan, beating up the evil ninjas, or whatever... And if you're a person who doesn't like Feudal Japan, or ninjas, or any of that, you probably won't enjoy it.
Or, in RE4's case... You start out in a hardcore cyber punk setting, then suddenly your next level ends up being in a medieval castle, the level after that is like, a beach, and it just doesn't know what the hell it's supposed to be. It's trying to be all, "Diverse," but at the same time, there's no logical flow to it... I don't see how it can be enjoyable if there's no context to it at all.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
Okay, well.. What about some no-name cartoon characters that you never heard of, and the music was like... I dunno... Not present. I mean, Spice Girls is Spice Girls, but what about music that's neither here not there. No real melody, just a half assed beat with some emotionless tone.

Chase Me To The End

Well, by that logic... Why play RE4? If RE4's mechanics have been copied time and again, and some of those games might actually have storylines WORTH paying attention to, why bother with RE4 anymore?

Chase Me To The End
Yeah, but the point is, not even the music in this particular game would be enjoyable.

Chase Me To The End
Not really. I mean, playing something like Worms Armageddon... I can get easily immersed into Worms, even without a storyline. It's about the idea of these two groups of worms waging warfare on one another. You don't know why. You don't care, what you do care about is like... Your worm starts out in a trench with the enemy worm, and you just go, "Okay, b*****d. I'll kill you before you kill me! It's on!" It's still plenty immersive without having some storyline, because the artificial universe in that game, the premise is actually really cool in a weird sort of way.

Chase Me To The End

Same with with Streets of Rage. What is it? It's like... Cops, or whatever, beating up bad guys in this really urban setting. That's what makes it cool. I mean, you could have another beat-em-up, that plays exactly the same, but it's about a martial arts master in feudal Japan, beating up the evil ninjas, or whatever... And if you're a person who doesn't like Feudal Japan, or ninjas, or any of that, you probably won't enjoy it.
Or, in RE4's case... You start out in a hardcore cyber punk setting, then suddenly your next level ends up being in a medieval castle, the level after that is like, a beach, and it just doesn't know what the hell it's supposed to be. It's trying to be all, "Diverse," but at the same time, there's no logical flow to it... I don't see how it can be enjoyable if there's no context to it at all.

1. That was a joke...

2. Because I already own RE4. 3nodding

EDIT: Than like I said, I'll mute it and listen to something more pleasent. Because I'm just effing around, it doesn't matter what I listen to. In fact, that's a great idea. Next time I play streets of rage, I'll listen to some NIN or something.

3. Characters and setting are part of the story. Like I said, I wouldn't care if Streets of Rage was me playing as anyone within logical reasoning on the set of Bewitched as long as the mechanics stay the same.

4. Hehe, your diverse point is exactly what Streets of Rage is about. In the second game, you go from a night club strip, to a highway, to a fun park theme land, to the beach, to the jungle, on a boat, a baseball stadium. Randomness is alright with me when the story aspect doesn't matter.

I mean, really, it really doesn't matter to me if I don't like the setting as long as the gameplay mechanics are fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 pm
Chase Me To The End
1. That was a joke...
My mistake. I mean, I can see some 5 minute appeal of playing a game like that for gags... But I dunno, some people love stuff like that. "It's random, therefore it can't be bad!"

Chase Me To The End

Waste of space on your shelf, my friend.

Chase Me To The End
EDIT: Than like I said, I'll mute it and listen to something more pleasent. Because I'm just effing around, it doesn't matter what I listen to. In fact, that's a great idea. Next time I play streets of rage, I'll listen to some NIN or something.
Yeah, but you're missing the point. The point is. Sometimes, you have a game, that's kinda rappy, it's not that good, it's just kinda there, but the awesome music in it might push it over the edge, and make it that much more enjoyable. So I'm saying, what if the game in question doesn't even have good music? It has nothing but the core mechanics. In other words, if you could play the game with stickmen and no sound at all, and it would be just as enjoyable as it is by itself...

Chase Me To The End
3. Characters and setting are part of the story. Like I said, I wouldn't care if Streets of Rage was me playing as anyone within logical reasoning on the set of Bewitched as long as the mechanics stay the same.
Well, then yes. We are very different as gamers. I probably wouldn't even have liked Streets of Rage if it wasn't for the setting and the character designs. Not that mechanics are bad, but there are hundreds of beat em ups out there... And heck, Double Dragon is my favorite because of the level design, the enemies, the characters, the MUSIC. Otherwise, it's just another beat em up, and like I said, there's plenty.

Chase Me To The End
4. Hehe, your diverse point is exactly what Streets of Rage is about. In the second game, you go from a night club strip, to a highway, to a fun park theme land, to the beach, to the jungle, on a boat, a baseball stadium. Randomness is alright with me when the story aspect doesn't matter.
Man, you're weird.

Chase Me To The End
I mean, really, it really doesn't matter to me if I don't like the setting as long as the gameplay mechanics are fun.
So would you play Final Fantasy if there was no storyline, then? I mean, the mechanics are still there, right?  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
1. That was a joke...
My mistake. I mean, I can see some 5 minute appeal of playing a game like that for gags... But I dunno, some people love stuff like that. "It's random, therefore it can't be bad!"

Chase Me To The End

Waste of space on your shelf, my friend.

Chase Me To The End
Yeah, but you're missing the point. The point is. Sometimes, you have a game, that's kinda rappy, it's not that good, it's just kinda there, but the awesome music in it might push it over the edge, and make it that much more enjoyable. So I'm saying, what if the game in question doesn't even have good music? It has nothing but the core mechanics. In other words, if you could play the game with stickmen and no sound at all, and it would be just as enjoyable as it is by itself...

Chase Me To The End
Well, then yes. We are very different as gamers. I probably wouldn't even have liked Streets of Rage if it wasn't for the setting and the character designs. Not that mechanics are bad, but there are hundreds of beat em ups out there... And heck, Double Dragon is my favorite because of the level design, the enemies, the characters, the MUSIC. Otherwise, it's just another beat em up, and like I said, there's plenty.

Chase Me To The End
Man, you're weird.

Chase Me To The End
So would you play Final Fantasy if there was no storyline, then? I mean, the mechanics are still there, right?

1. RE4 doesn't have good music, but I still play it. And I enjoy it pretty well. If the game didn't have music in it, then I wouldn't know if I would enjoy it more if I did, would I? Does that answer your point, or am I still missing something?

Plus, I can't think of an instance where I wanted to play a bad game just because it had good music that pushed it over the edge...

2. Yeah, but Streets of Rage is the only beat em up where you can call a cop car to shoot a rocket into your vicinity, killing everyone in the area but you. Rad.

3. No, Final Fantasy is one of those games I do like to be immersed in. Like I said, there are some I do, and some where it doesn't matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm
Chase Me To The End
1. RE4 doesn't have good music, but I still play it. And I enjoy it pretty well. If the game didn't have music in it, then I wouldn't know if I would enjoy it more if I did, would I? Does that answer your point, or am I still missing something?
Lol... Okay, all I was saying, speaking about this supposed game with characters that you don't like, setting that you don't like etc. My point was that in this supposed game, not even the music is redeemable, that's all. The only thing that this supposed game has is good mechanics.

Chase Me To The End

Plus, I can't think of an instance where I wanted to play a bad game just because it had good music that pushed it over the edge...

Well, what about a game that's just kinda there. It had no personality, like I said, all it has is decent mechanics... Sometimes it might have some awesome music that'll get you pumped up and you'll be like, "Yeah! Let's kill some guys!" I can't really think of an example off the top of my head... But I'm sure it's out there. But that's my point, all I'm saying is, the ONLY thing the game has going for it is sheer mechanics...

Chase Me To The End

2. Yeah, but Streets of Rage is the only beat em up where you can call a cop car to shoot a rocket into your vicinity, killing everyone in the area but you. Rad.
Okay... So if that cop car was replaced with... I dunno... A truck that shot cotton candy at your enemies, would it still be Rad? Or would it be just another, "Kill all enemies on the screen" mechanic, which there has been in quite a few games. My point is, the fact that it's a cop car is already a part of the setting.

Chase Me To The End

3. No, Final Fantasy is one of those games I do like to be immersed in. Like I said, there are some I do, and some where it doesn't matter.
Meh... Yeah, see? To me, a video game is an immersion into another world, even if there's no direct plot...

Hell, I was talking to my friend, and I told him how much I like Fallout 3, and he was like, "Have you played Oblivion? I actually liked Oblivion better than Fallout 3, the adventure was a little better, and the dungeons were more challenging." And I was like, "Yeah, but the whole reason I bought Fallout 3 in the first place is because it's post apocalyptic future. I don't care about some medieval setting, even if it does play better.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
Lol... Okay, all I was saying, speaking about this supposed game with characters that you don't like, setting that you don't like etc. My point was that in this supposed game, not even the music is redeemable, that's all. The only thing that this supposed game has is good mechanics.

Chase Me To The End

Well, what about a game that's just kinda there. It had no personality, like I said, all it has is decent mechanics... Sometimes it might have some awesome music that'll get you pumped up and you'll be like, "Yeah! Let's kill some guys!" I can't really think of an example off the top of my head... But I'm sure it's out there. But that's my point, all I'm saying is, the ONLY thing the game has going for it is sheer mechanics...

Chase Me To The End

Okay... So if that cop car was replaced with... I dunno... A truck that shot cotton candy at your enemies, would it still be Rad? Or would it be just another, "Kill all enemies on the screen" mechanic, which there has been in quite a few games. My point is, the fact that it's a cop car is already a part of the setting.

Chase Me To The End

Meh... Yeah, see? To me, a video game is an immersion into another world, even if there's no direct plot...

Hell, I was talking to my friend, and I told him how much I like Fallout 3, and he was like, "Have you played Oblivion? I actually liked Oblivion better than Fallout 3, the adventure was a little better, and the dungeons were more challenging." And I was like, "Yeah, but the whole reason I bought Fallout 3 in the first place is because it's post apocalyptic future. I don't care about some medieval setting, even if it does play better.

1. Depends on if I like the mechanics, I suppose.

Because there's not many settings I wouldn't mind as long as the game was fun to play. And like I said, I could replace the music wih my own, and hell if I care what character I'm playing as, as long as it's fun to play as him/her/it.

2. You just asked me if a truck that shot cotton candy at the enemies was rad and DIDN'T know my answer right away?

You said it yourself, I'm weird.

That being said, even if I do acknowledge that it's a cop car shooting a missile, that one little piece of plot isn't enough for me to be immersed in the game.

3. Yeah, but I only choose to be immersed in a world BECAUSE of it's plot.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Chase Me To The End
Well, what about comparing a game like that... A game with really polished mechanics, but no personality, crappy storyline, etc. To a game that has... Maybe slightly less tight, less polished mechanics, but at the same time, has good music, cool characters, and a decent storyline... Which one would you pick?

Chase Me To The End
2. You just asked me if a truck that shot cotton candy at the enemies was rad and DIDN'T know my answer right away?

That being said, even if I do acknowledge that it's a cop car shooting a missile, that one little piece of plot isn't enough for me to be immersed in the game.

Okay, fine. It's about the mechanics, right? What if you had the exact same thing as Streets of Rage, same mechanics, but no graphics, like I said, stickmen... And when you push that button, nothing happens, the enemies just automatically die on the screen. It's still the exact same function, but no context whatsoever.

Chase Me To The End

Yeah, but here's my point... If you're immersed into the game, let's say, RE4... If you're immersed then you're shooting monsters with a gun.
Whereas, if you're not immersed... Then you're not shooting guys, you're just pushing a button on the controller and watching a red dot when properly placed, trigger an animation that causes the avatar in fron of you to fall down.
When you break it down to the mechanics, then all you're doing is pushing a button that triggers a reaction in the programming...
How gratifying.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm
Bio, he likes RE4, deal with it. rolleyes Not everyone has your mindset. razz

And what is it with you and relating new-school RE with Nazism and Mikami to Hitler (yes, I still remember that)? xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 pm
Canas Renvall
Bio, he likes RE4, deal with it. rolleyes Not everyone has your mindset. razz
Yes, you're right... We were having a discussion, but hey, why don't I just shut up, and nobody post anything. Cause that's what this guild needs, less activity? Or should I just come in here with completely random and irrelevant posts that can't possibly spark any kind of a discussion? Come on, man, we're having a... Not even a heated debate, a discussion, let it be.

Canas Renvall
And what is it with you and relating new-school RE with Nazism and Mikami to Hitler (yes, I still remember that)? xd
Okay, forget Mikami. In that particular case, RE4 itself was hitler, and the Survival Horror genre was the Jews.
But hey, I choose to make an extreme analogy to make my points. Otherwise, it's like, "Well, RE4 is like that bully in the schoolyard, who convinces other good boys to become bullies as well." Yeah, that's a strong case.
Point is, because of one game, because of RE4, the whole genre of Survival Horror was almost extinct. And even though it somehow is starting to resurface bit by bit, the true Survival Horror, the kind of stuff we all fell in love with on PS1, that stuff we'll never see again. Not in RE, not in Silent Hill, and hell, definitely not in Alone in the Dark, the game that started it in the first place. Which is really sad, and it's evident in other genres as well...
There aren't many RPGs out there that still have random encounters, turn based combat, world maps... Maybe some do, but definitely not all in one.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
Well, what about comparing a game like that... A game with really polished mechanics, but no personality, crappy storyline, etc. To a game that has... Maybe slightly less tight, less polished mechanics, but at the same time, has good music, cool characters, and a decent storyline... Which one would you pick?

Chase Me To The End

Okay, fine. It's about the mechanics, right? What if you had the exact same thing as Streets of Rage, same mechanics, but no graphics, like I said, stickmen... And when you push that button, nothing happens, the enemies just automatically die on the screen. It's still the exact same function, but no context whatsoever.

Chase Me To The End

Yeah, but here's my point... If you're immersed into the game, let's say, RE4... If you're immersed then you're shooting monsters with a gun.
Whereas, if you're not immersed... Then you're not shooting guys, you're just pushing a button on the controller and watching a red dot when properly placed, trigger an animation that causes the avatar in fron of you to fall down.
When you break it down to the mechanics, then all you're doing is pushing a button that triggers a reaction in the programming...
How gratifying.

1. Well, of course I'd pick the second choice.

The fact of the matter is that I already own RE4, and I don't want to spend money on another game which has features that RE4 already indulges me on, which is having fun shooting enemies.

Sure, it is possible that another game with the same, but more polished mechanics, may be more fun to play than RE4. But, at the moment, I am still intensely satisfied with the fun experience RE4 delivers for me.

And yes, I have done research on all the current third person shooters and what not available for the PS3, and not a single one's story really interests me. To tell the truth, video game stories don't really interest me unless they're either RPGs or Action-Adventures, with of course other exceptions. But I just wanna play an RE4 type game for the certain type of mechanics it offers, and since I am satisfied with RE4, I see no reason to spend any money on purchasing any clone.

EDIT: But if you're saying if I didn't own RE4, and I had a choice between it and another game with less polished mechanics but better everything else, I'd choose the one that has a more appeasing story. If neither of them really had me interested in it's story, though, I'd go with the one that sounded better to play.

2. Well, if I pushed the button and nothing happened, those aren't the same mechanics.

And sure I'd prefer the graphics of Streets of Rage over stickmen, but that has nothing about being immersed in a game. It's just a more pleasent sight to behold than stickmen. If that's what you call immersion, then we should stop this discussion now, because we have totally different perceptions of what being immersed in a game means.

3. Ok. I'm immersed in the mechanics, in the gratification of shooting enemies. That doesn't mean I'm immersed with the entire game. I could care less about the story, music, graphics and what not.

I like this particular gentle conversation we're having. We're getting to know each other more as gamers.

Much better than the Evil Dead one...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm
Chase Me To The End

The fact of the matter is that I already own RE4, and I don't want to spend money on another game which has features that RE4 already indulges me on, which is having fun shooting enemies.

Sure, it is possible that another game with the same, but more polished mechanics, may be more fun to play than RE4. But, at the moment, I am still intensely satisfied with the fun experience RE4 delivers for me.
But if you could have that, AND a storyline worth playing, wouldn't you rather play the one that has the gameplay and MORE to show for itself?
I mean, heck, look at Uncharted... Frankly, Uncharted had shooter mechanics, and the shootout sequences that were tons more fun than RE4. And it's got an awesome storyline and characters. AND you already own it.

Chase Me To The End
And yes, I have done research on all the current third person shooters and what not available for the PS3, and not a single one's story really interests me. To tell the truth, video game stories don't really interest me unless they're either RPGs or Action-Adventures, with of course other exceptions. But I just wanna play an RE4 type game for the certain type of mechanics it offers, and since I am satisfied with RE4, I see no reason to spend any money on purchasing any clone.
Please tell me at least that you only own one version of it. Either GameCube, PS2, or Wii, not two or more...

Chase Me To The End

EDIT: But if you're saying if I didn't own RE4, and I had a choice between it and another game with less polished mechanics but better everything else, I'd choose the one that has a more appeasing story. If neither of them really had me interested in it's story, though, I'd go with the one that sounded better to play.
I'm just saying... Okay, let's say you purely enjoy RE4 for its sheer mechanics. Just so that when you're bored, you can run around and aimlessly shoot up a bunch of meaningless enemies... And that's why you own RE4... The how is it still in your Top-freakin-20?

Chase Me To The End

2. Well, if I pushed the button and nothing happened, those aren't the same mechanics.
It kills all the enemies, that happens. I just mean no animation or anything.

Chase Me To The End

And sure I'd prefer the graphics of Streets of Rage over stickmen, but that has nothing about being immersed in a game. It's just a more pleasent sight to behold than stickmen. If that's what you call immersion, then we should stop this discussion now, because we have totally different perceptions of what being immersed in a game means.
What I mean is setting yourself in the place of the game.

Okay, let's say you DO like all kinds of settings, and all kinds of genres, and whatnot... And you have five beat-em-ups... One of Streets of Rage, with its urban setting. Another is post apocalyptic Cyber-punk... Let's say Double Dragon. Another is an evil parallel dimension... MK: Shaolin Monks... Another is Feudal Japan... [Insert game title here], and another... Let's say, futuristic robot game... And they're all the same genre... Wouldn't you some days wanna say, "Gee, I feel like beating up robots in a futuristic setting," or on another day say, "I feel like beating up a bunch of cyber punks," and on another day, "I wanna kick some Ninja a** in 1500's Japan." So obviously, it's not just the pure mechanics that come into play, sometimes you wanna be a bit more specific with WHO you shoot or beat up.
Or do you not care at all?

Chase Me To The End

3. Ok. I'm immersed in the mechanics, in the gratification of shooting enemies. That doesn't mean I'm immersed with the entire game. I could care less about the story, music, graphics and what not.

Yeah, but you already acknowledge them as enemies. Would you still play it if you were shooting, say, floating targets and nothing else?  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:16 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End

But if you could have that, AND a storyline worth playing, wouldn't you rather play the one that has the gameplay and MORE to show for itself?
I mean, heck, look at Uncharted... Frankly, Uncharted had shooter mechanics, and the shootout sequences that were tons more fun than RE4. And it's got an awesome storyline and characters. AND you already own it.

Chase Me To The End
Please tell me at least that you only own one version of it. Either GameCube, PS2, or Wii, not two or more...

Chase Me To The End

I'm just saying... Okay, let's say you purely enjoy RE4 for its sheer mechanics. Just so that when you're bored, you can run around and aimlessly shoot up a bunch of meaningless enemies... And that's why you own RE4... The how is it still in your Top-freakin-20?

Chase Me To The End

It kills all the enemies, that happens. I just mean no animation or anything.

Chase Me To The End

What I mean is setting yourself in the place of the game.

Okay, let's say you DO like all kinds of settings, and all kinds of genres, and whatnot... And you have five beat-em-ups... One of Streets of Rage, with its urban setting. Another is post apocalyptic Cyber-punk... Let's say Double Dragon. Another is an evil parallel dimension... MK: Shaolin Monks... Another is Feudal Japan... [Insert game title here], and another... Let's say, futuristic robot game... And they're all the same genre... Wouldn't you some days wanna say, "Gee, I feel like beating up robots in a futuristic setting," or on another day say, "I feel like beating up a bunch of cyber punks," and on another day, "I wanna kick some Ninja a** in 1500's Japan." So obviously, it's not just the pure mechanics that come into play, sometimes you wanna be a bit more specific with WHO you shoot or beat up.
Or do you not care at all?

Chase Me To The End

Yeah, but you already acknowledge them as enemies. Would you still play it if you were shooting, say, floating targets and nothing else?

1. Well, to make you somewhat happy, I haven't played RE4 since picking up Uncharted.

Though, it still does play differently.

I actually picked up Uncharted for the exploration and platforming elements, rather than the action. I didn't have the intent of having it replace RE4 when I picked it up.

That being said, you'd still probably argue "So? Uncharted does have good shooting even if you didn't buy it for that." And I agree with you.

But like I said, it still does play differently, and it won't be long 'til I give RE4 another go again.

2. Just the gamecube version I've had for four years now.

3. It's in my top 20 because I have played and had fun with it a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Just like Streets of Rage.

And honestly, even though I've been a gaming enthusiast for 16 years now, I can't say I have played many games a lot a lot like I have RE4 and Streets of Rage. So I think it deserves to be on my top 20. It's a very satisfying experience.

4. I do not care at all. If so, I would have grown tired of playing Streets of Rage (And experiencing it's environments and enemies over and over again) a looong time ago (I have been playing it for as long as I've been a video game enthusiast). Now you know.

5. No I would not. So I'm even a little fully more immersed, but still not anywhere near entirely. Are you going to keep on trying to make points that I am playing fully immersed even if I do not think so? Fine than. I am totally immeresed in it. And I love being so...So there. You got your point across.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:41 pm
Chase Me To The End
1. Well, to make you somewhat happy, I haven't played RE4 since picking up Uncharted.

I actually picked up Uncharted for the exploration and platforming elements, rather than the action. I didn't have the intent of having it replace RE4 when I picked it up.

That being said, you'd still probably argue "So? Uncharted does have good shooting even if you didn't buy it for that." And I agree with you.

But like I said, it still does play differently, and it won't be long 'til I give RE4 another go again.
It might play a bit differently (better, if you ask me) but the bottom line is, it still delivers some of the best (and in Uncharted 2's case, THE best) high octane action. And frankly, I haven't played a single game that would be better for the intent of, "Just shooting a bunch of bad guys."

Chase Me To The End
Well, if it accidentally burns in a fire or gets destroyed by some other means, don't let me catch you buying another one.

Chase Me To The End

3. It's in my top 20 because I have played and had fun with it a lot. Like, a lot a lot.

Meh. I had fun with GTAIII, a lot a lot. And still, that's not enough for it to be in my top 25.

Chase Me To The End

And honestly, even though I've been a gaming enthusiast for 16 years now, I can't say I have played many games a lot a lot like I have RE4 and Streets of Rage. So I think it deserves to be on my top 20. It's a very satisfying experience.
Okay, you know what's a true blasphemy? That RE4 is on your Top 20 list, and Remake isn't... And heck, if you use the above reasoning... That you haven't played Remake a lot a lot... Then why not?

Chase Me To The End

4. I do not care at all. If so, I would have grown tired of playing Streets of Rage (And experiencing it's environments and enemies over and over again) a looong time ago (I have been playing it for as long as I've been a video game enthusiast). Now you know.
Well, that's how long I've been playing Double Dragon 2 for... And still, I enjoy the hell out of the little plot it had, and the music... My god, does it ever have awesome music... If I wanted a faster more intense beat em up, there are plenty, even ones with the Double Dragon title, but DD2 has so many great things about it, that mechanics take a back seat.

Chase Me To The End
5. No I would not. So I'm even a little fully more immersed, but still not anywhere near entirely. Are you going to keep on trying to make points that I am playing fully immersed even if I do not think so? Fine than. I am totally immeresed in it. And I love being so...So there. You got your point across.
All I'm saying is, fun gameplay and gameplay alone is not enough for me to keep a game, let alone have it in my top 20. Otherwise, Tetris might even be #1.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End

It might play a bit differently (better, if you ask me) but the bottom line is, it still delivers some of the best (and in Uncharted 2's case, THE best) high octane action. And frankly, I haven't played a single game that would be better for the intent of, "Just shooting a bunch of bad guys."

Chase Me To The End
Well, if it accidentally burns in a fire or gets destroyed by some other means, don't let me catch you buying another one.

Chase Me To The End

Meh. I had fun with GTAIII, a lot a lot. And still, that's not enough for it to be in my top 25.

Chase Me To The End

Okay, you know what's a true blasphemy? That RE4 is on your Top 20 list, and Remake isn't... And heck, if you use the above reasoning... That you haven't played Remake a lot a lot... Then why not?

Chase Me To The End

Well, that's how long I've been playing Double Dragon 2 for... And still, I enjoy the hell out of the little plot it had, and the music... My god, does it ever have awesome music... If I wanted a faster more intense beat em up, there are plenty, even ones with the Double Dragon title, but DD2 has so many great things about it, that mechanics take a back seat.

Chase Me To The End
All I'm saying is, fun gameplay and gameplay alone is not enough for me to keep a game, let alone have it in my top 20. Otherwise, Tetris might even be #1.

1. For me, it doesn't play better. Just differently. And that's all that matters when it comes to me wanting to continue playing RE4. Cause you're right. If I considered Uncharted to play better than RE4, then I would toss RE4 out the window. Seriously. I could see myself doing that.

2. Ok, I won't let you catch me.

3. Well it is for me. You have your qualifications for why a games deserves to be in your top 25, and I have mine.

4. I thought I already told you (A while ago, though).

When it comes to RE games other then 4, I DO like to immerse myself in them.

And because I do, I have certain tastes in settings. And sadly, I did not appeciate REmake's mansion setting. Sorry, that's just a personal thing. I desire my zombie outbreak games to take place in a city, which is why I prefer 2 and 3.

5. Streets of Rage has a great OST as well. And I do enjoy listening to it when playing the game. But I wouldn't even playing the game if it weren't for the game's very unique and fun mechanics. And it's because of those mechanics that I even want to play the game in the first place.

All I'm saying is that for a game like SoR, the mechanics and how fun it is to play them is really, truly all that matters for me to want to play it.

But there's only really three games on my list that that applies for: Streets of Rage, Resident Evil 4, and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

So when it comes to video games, it's really not all about the mechanics for me. Just for those three games.

6. OH DUDE! I forgot about Tetris! That so needs to be in my top 20...Maybe I will make a top 25 afterall.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 770 771 772 773 774 775 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games