Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "COS" ^Can O Spam^
Moonie's Ramblings Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 774 775 776 777 778 779 ... 2603 2604 2605 2606 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:35 pm
User Image
La di da...
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:49 pm
User Image
In the latter decades of the century, mystery novels, detective fiction, horror, and adventure stories soared in popularity, partly on the strength of an expanding audience of lower-income readers, rising literacy rates, and cheaper methods of book production (LXVI).

That would be the time that Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series probably would start appearing. :)
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:57 pm
User Image
The landscape of England began to take on its modern appearance - the hitherto open rural areas subdivided into a checkerboard of fields enclosed by hedges and stone walls, with the factories of the cities casting a pall of smoke over vast areas of cheaply built houses and slum tenements.

It's intriguing thinking about the contrasting environments that existed during the Romantic period.
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:00 pm
User Image
... converted once-exotic imports from these colonies into everyday fare for the English. In the eighteenth century tea and sugar had been transformed in this way, and in the nineteenth century other commodities followed suit: the Indian muslin, for instance, that was the fabric of choice for gentlemen's cravats and fashionable ladies' gowns...

Intriguing and nice to know. :)
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 pm
User Image
An apocalypse of the imagination could liberate the individual from time, from what Blake called the "mind-forg'd manacles" of imprisoning orthodoxies and from what Percy Shelley called "the curse which binds us to be subjected to the accident of surrounding impressions."

This sentence stood out to me. Not really sure why. Maybe it was the phrase "apocalypse of the imagination" (which happens to be highlighted by a previous owner of the anthology book I've gotten). Or just how the authors positively express what imagination does for a person.
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:09 pm
User Image
This was the shift Wordsworth registered when in the Preface he located the source of a poem not in outer nature but in the psychology of the individual poet, and specified that the essential materials of a poem were not the external people and events it represented but the inner feelings of the author, or external objects only after these have been transformed by the author's feelings.
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 pm
User Image
For male poets the risks of poetic self-revelation were different - and in some measure they were actively seized by those who, like Coleridge and Shelley, intimated darkly that the introspective tendency and emotional sensitivity that made someone a poet could also lead him to melancholy and madness.
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:17 pm
User Image
...Coleridge opened up to modern poetry a realm of mystery and magic. Stories of bewitchings, hauntings, and possession - shaped by antiquated treatises on demonology, folklore, and Gothic novels - supplied him with the means of impressing upon readers a sense of occult powers and unknown modes of being. [...] On the one hand romances were writings that turned, in their quest for settings conducive to supernatural happenings, to "strange fits of passion" and strange adventures, to distant pasts, faraway places, or both...
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:25 pm
Prof. Moonie
Princess Zelda21
Hey Moonie, found a video I thought I'd share with you! ^_^
"Everything to Me" by Mark Shultz

That's a really touching song and the music video really compliments the song's lyrics really well. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

You're welcome. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:40 pm
User Image
Poetry is a river; many voices travel in it; poem after poem moves along in the exciting crests and falls of the river waves. None is timeless; each arrives in an historical context; almost everything, in the end, passes.

User Image

Another moment of Doctor Who connection, lol. This time relating to River Song.
User Image

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:50 pm
User Image
I still find it intriguing that my teacher had us get a Poetry Handbook for the British Romantic Lit. class. It just seems odd to me. I mean it seems like a good book so far of what we're assigned to read, but it just seems... out-of-place to me. *shrugs*
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:06 pm
User Image
Ah, this part seems to relate to my Creative Writing: Prose class. :)

The first obvious difference between prose and poetry is that prose is printed (or written) within the confines of margins, while poetry is written in lines that do not necessarily pay any attention to the margins, especially the right margin.
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 pm
User Image
Off to eat dinner.
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm
User Image
I'm back. And done with my homework.
User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 pm
User Image
Off to watch TV. Later.

#f51379
#a51cba

User Image  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 774 775 776 777 778 779 ... 2603 2604 2605 2606 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games