Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Well to be fair, FFXIII has a good reason to get rid of towns and inns. It has to do with the story, so I won't say why, just that it's actually practical to the story to not have any inns or such.

Edit: That is, usable inns.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, I HAVE been saying that gameplay should cater to the story, not the other way around, sometimes. But point is, they really need to bring back the old school formula, maybe in the next one or something. I mean, you can say, "It's still Final Fantasy" but to me, playing Final Fantasy was about the world maps, and the "Pokemon-like" battles, which is what I associated JRPGs with back then. Point is... The world was just so much better when you can freely explore the forests, towns, it gave the game a much more complete feeling. Like you're in an actual world, and you can learn about the world, but seeing where the towns were and how the people in them lived.

Whereas if you're just taken through a linear game, all you're given is the given moment. It's a lot more difficult to see the big picture.

So like I said, FFXIII looks like an awesome game with a cool storyline, but I doubt I'll get the Final Fantasy experience out of it.

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

The Final Fantasy experience...

Meh...Towns, inns, world maps, random encounters...Sure, FF is connected with those elements, but I'd make it more general and say those are qualities of an RPG experience.

What I expect from an FF experience is a fantastic story and a unique combat mechanic, and it seems to me that FFXIII will deliver on both.

True, other RPGs do the same thing, which is why I see FF as rather a generic series, but one to follow the example of.

So I don't need those things in a FF game, because I want them to deliver something new everytime. That almost certainly contradicts my previous thoughts, but those are what they are, previous thoughts.

That being said, while FFX has been for the most part linear throughout, it has had spread out moments where exploration became available.

But, even though for the first third of FFXIII it's even more linear than X, the latter two thirds is supposed to hugely open up, so I say it evens out for me.

@Darling: I found some strategies, so I'm gonna test them out and see if I can beat that tough muthuh. Cause I really hope I don't have to grind...I have yet needed to do so thus far.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Yeah, but it's nearly impossible to have a "Final Fantasy Storyline" because there is no such thing at this point. It started out with semi-medieval themes centered around crystals. FF6 moved it into the Steam Punk centered around summons, FF7 got rid of the crystals, cyber punk, heck summons had nothing to do with the story at all. FF8 moved it into a more futuristic era, got rid of equipment system, Summons play a part of the storyline, etc. etc. etc.
Each world is so diverse and different, the only thing they all have in common are Chocobos and a character named Cid, the summon and monster names, and even then, not each one has them consistently.
And there's plenty of RPGs out there with big, epic storylines, and unique combat mechanics. Look at Suikoden or Shadow Hearts Covenant.

My point is, all those elements are trait signs of an RPG, including the story. And frankly, if the only thing that separates Final Fantasy from another RPG are chocobos, then what's the point of even doing that?
Final Fantasy is a name. Nothing more. For all intents and purposes, each and every Final Fantasy game is a completely different RPG. As different as Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, or Shadow Hearts.
All I'm saying is, yeah, I guess there is no such thing as "The Final Fantasy Experience" anymore. The last game that truly and wholeheartedly had "The Final Fantasy experience" was FF5.
Now, the things I liked about FF5, those things are still present in all FF games up to and including 9. X threw away the world maps, etc. Is it still an RPG? Sure. But it's not a Final Fantasy experience.
And if all you're looking for is an epic storyline and a unique combat system, then there's a whole lot out there.
And that's not saying that FF13 is a bad game, or not worth the money, or not an RPG... But you can't really say, "There's no real rason to not call FFXIII a Final Fantasy game", because I can just as easily say that about Legend of Dragoon or Lunar, or countless other RPGs out there.

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Yeah, but it's nearly impossible to have a "Final Fantasy Storyline" because there is no such thing at this point. It started out with semi-medieval themes centered around crystals. FF6 moved it into the Steam Punk centered around summons, FF7 got rid of the crystals, cyber punk, heck summons had nothing to do with the story at all. FF8 moved it into a more futuristic era, got rid of equipment system, Summons play a part of the storyline, etc. etc. etc.
Each world is so diverse and different, the only thing they all have in common are Chocobos and a character named Cid, the summon and monster names, and even then, not each one has them consistently.

Yeah, I know. That's why I asked for a fantastic storyline, not a final fantasy storyline...

Biohazard EXTREME
And there's plenty of RPGs out there with big, epic storylines, and unique combat mechanics. Look at Suikoden or Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Yeah, I said that too.

Biohazard EXTREME
My point is, all those elements are trait signs of an RPG, including the story. And frankly, if the only thing that separates Final Fantasy from another RPG are chocobos, then what's the point of even doing that?
Final Fantasy is a name. Nothing more. For all intents and purposes, each and every Final Fantasy game is a completely different RPG. As different as Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, or Shadow Hearts.
All I'm saying is, yeah, I guess there is no such thing as "The Final Fantasy Experience" anymore. The last game that truly and wholeheartedly had "The Final Fantasy experience" was FF5.
Now, the things I liked about FF5, those things are still present in all FF games up to and including 9. X threw away the world maps, etc. Is it still an RPG? Sure. But it's not a Final Fantasy experience.
And if all you're looking for is an epic storyline and a unique combat system, then there's a whole lot out there.
And that's not saying that FF13 is a bad game, or not worth the money, or not an RPG... But you can't really say, "There's no real rason to not call FFXIII a Final Fantasy game", because I can just as easily say that about Legend of Dragoon or Lunar, or countless other RPGs out there.

They call it a FF game because they want you to know to expect the best in category from whatever it delivers. At least that's my theory as to why they continue to use the name, even is the so called FF experience has diminished over the years.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Chase Me To The End
Yeah, I know. That's why I asked for a fantastic storyline, not a final fantasy storyline...

But that's even more vague. Even if you narrow it down to epic fantasy. Heavenly Sword has a fantastic storyline and it's not even an RPG.

Chase Me To The End
Yeah, I said that too.

Right, so yeah, it is like you said, Final Fantasy is nothing more than a namedrop to a fairly generic RPG... More or less... Because FF doesn't have a status quo, you could end up with something generic, you could end up with something unique. It's all up in the air, but that's why having actual expectations for a Final Fantasy game is unreasonable. And anyone who actually liked every singe Final Fantasy game that's out there, either likes EVERYTHING, or is blinded by the title.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the perfect example of this. It says Final Fantasy on the title, so it must be the best of its kind, right? Well, no, if you truly examine strategy RPGs, and you look at functionality, characters, etc. It's by far not the best. And yeah, let's say it was the best for its time, when it came out in 1998.
But they Re-Released it for PSP recently, and I mean ported it to UMD. And many people say, "It's the best Strategy RPG on the PSP" which is total bullshit. As much as I loved FFT, the combat on the PSP version of it was slowed down. You could actually hear the sound effect of, say, lightning spell, and the animation would be happening 2 to 3 times slower than it's supposed to. Which could make half hour long battles last twice as long as they should. Where as you have games like Disgaea or Jeanne D'Arc with excellent storylines, smooth and fluid gameplay, excellent battle systems. Heck, Disgaea has the best combat system I've ever seen in a Strategy RPG. But still, the fans are blinded by the "Final Fantasy" label on the Tactics.
Same with Dirge of Cerberus, same with Dissidia.

It's just a title, and it means very little. It really does. Judging a book by its cover goes both ways.

Chase Me To The End
They call it a FF game because they want you to know to expect the best in category from whatever it delivers. At least that's my theory as to why they continue to use the name, even is the so called FF experience has diminished over the years.
Maybe the most loved, but best? Why best? The only thing that Final Fantasy is truly best at is presentation. Yeah, they always got the best graphics, and they always bring the most flash, the most pizzaz than any other RPG... But that's got nothing to do with the storyline. What else is best about it?
I mean, the battle systems are often different from one another, but that's a hit and miss. And the more different they go, the more it's a miss. Case in point, FF12.
Then there's storyline. Which, if you break it down, usually has maybe 5 great characters per game, with the others ranging from passable to forgettable to down right annoying.
The plots themselves... Well, yeah, usually it's epic, and grand, and let's save the world, and has its share of twists. But that can be said about the majority of RPGs out there. And frankly, I can't say that Final Fantasy is the BEST of its kind, in terms of the story itself.
The one thing that made Final Fantasy truly stand out were the worlds themselves. Like I said, the setting is always new and unique, but again, the setting is so much more fleshed out when there IS a world map. Because then you get the sense of where each town is located in relation to one another. And I dunno, maybe FFXIII does convey that very well...
But FFX did it terribly. It was just going from location to location, I dunno where I was in relation to where I started.

Now, FF13 is focusing more on the characters than the world itself. And that's cool. But still, I doubt very much that the characters in it are more fleshed out and memorable than in Persona. Persona 3 and 4 had more character development than any RPG I've seen, and they were grounded as hell. So you really don't need a big epic world for that kind of thing.

My point is what while Final Fantasy is a great RPG series, (with X - XII being heavily lackluster), and while XIII looks like a really promising game, with what looks to be a cool storyline, and gorgeous presentation...
To say it's the best of its kind is ridiculous. Because the most extravagant presentation, or most epic cinematics do not make it the best.
Like I said, Persona 3 is one of the most grounded RPGs I've ever played, it all happens in one town, that town is on our planet. But it became my favorite RPG ever pretty much as soon as I got into it. And Persona 4 followed.

My point is, yeah, when it comes to the storyline it's definitely a matter of opinion, but to say, "Final Fantasy delivers the best of its kind" is a fanboy remark. No offense. That's like saying, "Resident Evil delivers the best survival horror experience" and even if you forget that RE4 and RE5 exist... Resident Evil had 10 installments, 11 if you count Remake, and of those 11, only 4 I'd consider truly great Survival Horror games. 4 good survival horror experiences. 2 mediocre. And 1 crappy.
So yeah, Sometimes Final Fantasy does deliver the best of its kind, but you can't just expect it. Because you never know when it'll be another XII.

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End

But that's even more vague. Even if you narrow it down to epic fantasy. Heavenly Sword has a fantastic storyline and it's not even an RPG.

Chase Me To The End
Yeah, I said that too.

Right, so yeah, it is like you said, Final Fantasy is nothing more than a namedrop to a fairly generic RPG... More or less... Because FF doesn't have a status quo, you could end up with something generic, you could end up with something unique. It's all up in the air, but that's why having actual expectations for a Final Fantasy game is unreasonable. And anyone who actually liked every singe Final Fantasy game that's out there, either likes EVERYTHING, or is blinded by the title.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the perfect example of this. It says Final Fantasy on the title, so it must be the best of its kind, right? Well, no, if you truly examine strategy RPGs, and you look at functionality, characters, etc. It's by far not the best. And yeah, let's say it was the best for its time, when it came out in 1998.
But they Re-Released it for PSP recently, and I mean ported it to UMD. And many people say, "It's the best Strategy RPG on the PSP" which is total bullshit. As much as I loved FFT, the combat on the PSP version of it was slowed down. You could actually hear the sound effect of, say, lightning spell, and the animation would be happening 2 to 3 times slower than it's supposed to. Which could make half hour long battles last twice as long as they should. Where as you have games like Disgaea or Jeanne D'Arc with excellent storylines, smooth and fluid gameplay, excellent battle systems. Heck, Disgaea has the best combat system I've ever seen in a Strategy RPG. But still, the fans are blinded by the "Final Fantasy" label on the Tactics.
Same with Dirge of Cerberus, same with Dissidia.

It's just a title, and it means very little. It really does. Judging a book by its cover goes both ways.

Chase Me To The End
Maybe the most loved, but best? Why best? The only thing that Final Fantasy is truly best at is presentation. Yeah, they always got the best graphics, and they always bring the most flash, the most pizzaz than any other RPG... But that's got nothing to do with the storyline. What else is best about it?
I mean, the battle systems are often different from one another, but that's a hit and miss. And the more different they go, the more it's a miss. Case in point, FF12.
Then there's storyline. Which, if you break it down, usually has maybe 5 great characters per game, with the others ranging from passable to forgettable to down right annoying.
The plots themselves... Well, yeah, usually it's epic, and grand, and let's save the world, and has its share of twists. But that can be said about the majority of RPGs out there. And frankly, I can't say that Final Fantasy is the BEST of its kind, in terms of the story itself.
The one thing that made Final Fantasy truly stand out were the worlds themselves. Like I said, the setting is always new and unique, but again, the setting is so much more fleshed out when there IS a world map. Because then you get the sense of where each town is located in relation to one another. And I dunno, maybe FFXIII does convey that very well...
But FFX did it terribly. It was just going from location to location, I dunno where I was in relation to where I started.

Now, FF13 is focusing more on the characters than the world itself. And that's cool. But still, I doubt very much that the characters in it are more fleshed out and memorable than in Persona. Persona 3 and 4 had more character development than any RPG I've seen, and they were grounded as hell. So you really don't need a big epic world for that kind of thing.

My point is what while Final Fantasy is a great RPG series, (with X - XII being heavily lackluster), and while XIII looks like a really promising game, with what looks to be a cool storyline, and gorgeous presentation...
To say it's the best of its kind is ridiculous. Because the most extravagant presentation, or most epic cinematics do not make it the best.
Like I said, Persona 3 is one of the most grounded RPGs I've ever played, it all happens in one town, that town is on our planet. But it became my favorite RPG ever pretty much as soon as I got into it. And Persona 4 followed.

My point is, yeah, when it comes to the storyline it's definitely a matter of opinion, but to say, "Final Fantasy delivers the best of its kind" is a fanboy remark. No offense. That's like saying, "Resident Evil delivers the best survival horror experience" and even if you forget that RE4 and RE5 exist... Resident Evil had 10 installments, 11 if you count Remake, and of those 11, only 4 I'd consider truly great Survival Horror games. 4 good survival horror experiences. 2 mediocre. And 1 crappy.
So yeah, Sometimes Final Fantasy does deliver the best of its kind, but you can't just expect it. Because you never know when it'll be another XII.

1. What point are you trying to make? Lots of games other than FF have fantastic storylines, so...?

2. That's why having expectations for FF is not unreasonable. Because even if you get something generic, you still expect it to be great.

I mean, when it comes to FF nowadays, expecting the same playstyle nowadays is naive, and the real unreasonable aspect.

For when I said it was a generic series, I mostly meant in the past. As you can see, there's nothing quite like XIII yet (from what I'm getting at the reviews). So it sets the standard. And when other games follow the standard, then it becomes generic.

3. Like you said, say Tactics was the best for it's time. But you do not have to expect constant awesomeness from past products, especially when newer games improve on the awesomness (My entire belief on LoZ TP > OoT). Which is why the people who hold onto the beliefs of FFT's superiority are stubborn.

Oh, and I thought you understood that when it comes to FF, I'm talking about the main series of games, not the crappy spinoffs and shi* that don't get the same amount of work and care on them that the main series of games do. They have no point in this conversation.

4. It's a title, and it means a lot to a lot. Because, face it, admit that when it comes to the general populace, they hold it in the light of best RPG series ever.

5. You're acting like I said it was the best, which I didn't...What I was getting at is that the majority of gamers, reviewers, magazines, etc. do consider it the best, which is why they expect the best. That is all.

Oh, and true, you never know when you could get a XII. But with a track record of 11 great games compared to one you think that sucks, how is fair to say you just can't expect it?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:42 pm

FFXIII, I might pass on that game. Another one has caught my eye. Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity.

Don't know much about it except it just came out. It seems to have a modern/steampunkish influence. No swords from what I can, but guns. Not many RPGs really have actual guns, some do, but it's normally limited to one or two characters.

PS: Just throwing this out there, one of the best RPGs, in my personal opinion, is Legend of Dragoon. I remember near the end of the first disc, how one event got me close to tears. Manly tears, mind you. If only they made a series out of it, or hell, maybe a remake.

Elliot Salem

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Elliot Salem
FFXIII, I might pass on that game. Another one has caught my eye. Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity.

Don't know much about it except it just came out. It seems to have a modern/steampunkish influence. No swords from what I can, but guns. Not many RPGs really have actual guns, some do, but it's normally limited to one or two characters.

PS: Just throwing this out there, one of the best RPGs, in my personal opinion, is Legend of Dragoon. I remember near the end of the first disc, how one event got me close to tears. Manly tears, mind you. If only they made a series out of it, or hell, maybe a remake.

*High fives*

Did you see my list? It's my fifth favorite video game of all time.

Oh, and I know the manly tears part you're talking about, because I manly teared myself. White ---> It's when Lavitz dies, right?

Oh, and I am looking foward to RoF myself.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Chase Me To The End
Elliot Salem

*High fives*

Did you see my list? It's my fifth favorite video game of all time.

Oh, and I know the manly tears part you're talking about, because I manly teared myself. White ---> It's when Lavitz dies, right?

Oh, and I am looking foward to RoF myself.

*High fived*

Nah, I'll check out your list momentarily.

You sir, are correct.
I'll never forget that moment.

Elliot Salem

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Chase Me To The End
1. What point are you trying to make? Lots of games other than FF have fantastic storylines, so...?
So obviously Final Fantasy isn't the only, and not even the best game to turn to for a fantastic storyline.

Chase Me To The End
2. That's why having expectations for FF is not unreasonable. Because even if you get something generic, you still expect it to be great.
But it's not always great. In fact, statistically speaking, for the past 10 years, only half of Final Fantasy branded games were even remotely great.

Chase Me To The End

I mean, when it comes to FF nowadays, expecting the same playstyle nowadays is naive, and the real unreasonable aspect.

For when I said it was a generic series, I mostly meant in the past. As you can see, there's nothing quite like XIII yet (from what I'm getting at the reviews). So it sets the standard. And when other games follow the standard, then it becomes generic.
RPGs haven't been ripping off Final Fantasy in a long time. The original FF games kinda set the standard with menu based, turn based combat, world maps, etc., but even Final Fantasy wasn't the first of its kind. And aside from those simple aspects, I haven't seen very many RPGs to rip off Final Fantasy aspects, aside from Legend of Dragoon, and maybe a couple more.
And since when does FF set the standard anyway? Yeah, it's the most popular, but that doesn't mean that other RPGs should follow it. If that were the case, after FFXII, all RPGs would have free roaming hack and slash combat, and then most of them would suck, just like FFXII did.

Chase Me To The End

3. Like you said, say Tactics was the best for it's time. But you do not have to expect constant awesomeness from past products, especially when newer games improve on the awesomness (My entire belief on LoZ TP > OoT). Which is why the people who hold onto the beliefs of FFT's superiority are stubborn.
And you're full well entitled to that belief. But it's not always true. Resident Evil is a prime example. RE1 - 3 are better than anthing with a Resident Evil label since 2002.
But no, they're not stubborn, they're just blind. They're magically woed by this title on the label, and don't bother looking at what it is. Just automatically convince themselves that it's gonna be awesome, and refuse to see it any other way. I mean, it's a form of stubornness, but they're being stubborn with themselves. Not just for the sake of argument, but for the sake of hanging onto this title, and refusing to acknowledge the fact that it could suck.

Chase Me To The End
Oh, and I thought you understood that when it comes to FF, I'm talking about the main series of games, not the crappy spinoffs and shi* that don't get the same amount of work and care on them that the main series of games do. They have no point in this conversation.
It doesn't matter. The hardcore FF fanbooys and fangirls will look at anything with a Final Fantasy label as the holy grail of gaming, and will type at you with very large, all caps font if you insult it.

Chase Me To The End
4. It's a title, and it means a lot to a lot. Because, face it, admit that when it comes to the general populace, they hold it in the light of best RPG series ever.
Well, there are different ways of looking at it. To say that Final Fantasy has released the biggest amount of best RPGs in their era, might be accurate, in that, when FF1 came out, it was the best RPG that year, when FF6 came out it was the best RPG that year, etc. But that's not always true. Like I said, during the early 2000s, frankly, Final Fantasy games were lackluster, big time. And even if you do like FFX, I bet if you dug around, you'd find something better that came out around that time, between FFX and FFXII. Plenty of stuff, even.

Chase Me To The End
5. You're acting like I said it was the best, which I didn't...What I was getting at is that the majority of gamers, reviewers, magazines, etc. do consider it the best, which is why they expect the best. That is all.

Yeah, but the way you worded it, it was like you're transposing your opinion onto what you speculate is the mindset of developers. I mean, technically, yeah, I'm sure every developer thinks THEIR franchise is the best. And yeah, they use their brand name to lure in the fans. But you're making it sound like, "The reason they're still calling it Final Fantasy is so that gamers know which game to buy, because it's the best." That's just how it came off.

Chase Me To The End
Oh, and true, you never know when you could get a XII. But with a track record of 11 great games compared to one you think that sucks, how is fair to say you just can't expect it?
Well, XII is the worst case scenario, in that the combat system was simply bad. But it's not all about the combat system. When we're speaking about the storyline, well, like I said, I found that FFX kinda sucked in that aspect, whether you agree or not. And between that, we had an MMO, and a sequel to FFX, both of which are disappointing concepts, forget the execution. Even if FFXI was the best MMO out there, it's still an MMO. Same with XIV, so it's not like I can expect much out of it either.

And the thing is, Final Fantasy 3 came out in 1990, so you had FF3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, that's six main Final Fantasy games in one decade. And story wise, the last 4 of them were way better than anything Square has put out since 2001. So Final Fantasy has been in a slump for the entire PS2/NGC/Xbox generation.
None of them were great. Disagree with me if you want, but I think FFX was mediocre, and everything else this past decade even worse. So if you look at it time wise, it kinda puts a different perspective on it. If the best Final Fantasy game (whether the majority thinks it's FF6, or FF7, or like me, FF cool came out over 10 years ago, and everything since has been more and more underwhelming.

I don't even know why I started paying attention to FF13, because quite frankly, I had such LOW expectations of it, that I wasn't even gonna bother. And heck, maybe that's the only reason I think it looks like a good game, because it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
So obviously Final Fantasy isn't the only, and not even the best game to turn to for a fantastic storyline.

Chase Me To The End
But it's not always great. In fact, statistically speaking, for the past 10 years, only half of Final Fantasy branded games were even remotely great.

Chase Me To The End

RPGs haven't been ripping off Final Fantasy in a long time. The original FF games kinda set the standard with menu based, turn based combat, world maps, etc., but even Final Fantasy wasn't the first of its kind. And aside from those simple aspects, I haven't seen very many RPGs to rip off Final Fantasy aspects, aside from Legend of Dragoon, and maybe a couple more.
And since when does FF set the standard anyway? Yeah, it's the most popular, but that doesn't mean that other RPGs should follow it. If that were the case, after FFXII, all RPGs would have free roaming hack and slash combat, and then most of them would suck, just like FFXII did.

Chase Me To The End

And you're full well entitled to that belief. But it's not always true. Resident Evil is a prime example. RE1 - 3 are better than anthing with a Resident Evil label since 2002.
But no, they're not stubborn, they're just blind. They're magically woed by this title on the label, and don't bother looking at what it is. Just automatically convince themselves that it's gonna be awesome, and refuse to see it any other way. I mean, it's a form of stubornness, but they're being stubborn with themselves. Not just for the sake of argument, but for the sake of hanging onto this title, and refusing to acknowledge the fact that it could suck.

Chase Me To The End
It doesn't matter. The hardcore FF fanbooys and fangirls will look at anything with a Final Fantasy label as the holy grail of gaming, and will type at you with very large, all caps font if you insult it.

Chase Me To The End
Well, there are different ways of looking at it. To say that Final Fantasy has released the biggest amount of best RPGs in their era, might be accurate, in that, when FF1 came out, it was the best RPG that year, when FF6 came out it was the best RPG that year, etc. But that's not always true. Like I said, during the early 2000s, frankly, Final Fantasy games were lackluster, big time. And even if you do like FFX, I bet if you dug around, you'd find something better that came out around that time, between FFX and FFXII. Plenty of stuff, even.

Chase Me To The End

Yeah, but the way you worded it, it was like you're transposing your opinion onto what you speculate is the mindset of developers. I mean, technically, yeah, I'm sure every developer thinks THEIR franchise is the best. And yeah, they use their brand name to lure in the fans. But you're making it sound like, "The reason they're still calling it Final Fantasy is so that gamers know which game to buy, because it's the best." That's just how it came off.

Chase Me To The End
Well, XII is the worst case scenario, in that the combat system was simply bad. But it's not all about the combat system. When we're speaking about the storyline, well, like I said, I found that FFX kinda sucked in that aspect, whether you agree or not. And between that, we had an MMO, and a sequel to FFX, both of which are disappointing concepts, forget the execution. Even if FFXI was the best MMO out there, it's still an MMO. Same with XIV, so it's not like I can expect much out of it either.

And the thing is, Final Fantasy 3 came out in 1990, so you had FF3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, that's six main Final Fantasy games in one decade. And story wise, the last 4 of them were way better than anything Square has put out since 2001. So Final Fantasy has been in a slump for the entire PS2/NGC/Xbox generation.
None of them were great. Disagree with me if you want, but I think FFX was mediocre, and everything else this past decade even worse. So if you look at it time wise, it kinda puts a different perspective on it. If the best Final Fantasy game (whether the majority thinks it's FF6, or FF7, or like me, FF cool came out over 10 years ago, and everything since has been more and more underwhelming.

I don't even know why I started paying attention to FF13, because quite frankly, I had such LOW expectations of it, that I wasn't even gonna bother. And heck, maybe that's the only reason I think it looks like a good game, because it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

1. Certainly it isn't. But more than likely it is the safest bet.

2. Past ten years for the main series...X, XI, XII, XIII. Other than XI, which got some heat for the game changer, all the other entries have recieved high praise. Even XII. Cuz even though it also was a game changer, since XI came out, it was easier to accept.

3. Yes, you're right. FF hasn't been a standard setter in recent years (Except of course for it's high presentation values). So unlike what I said about past entries, the new games aren't generic. But I see it as it has been a standard setter since, what, IV all the way up to X? At least in terms of how to present itself, tell a story, and innovate.

4. True, it's not always true. But when it comes to presentation and story telling in FF games, don't you think they have gotten better over the years? Hmm? Might just be me.

5. But let it matter just for us for the sake of this conversation.

6. Actually, plenty plenty of stuff, to be exact. But I never found a greater RPG series, only games. And I say greater because it's hard not to look at FF with greatness when everyone else does. And the fact that I like a couple of it's installments also has me one sided. But it's not fanboyism, just conforminism.

7. That's exactly the way I wanted it to come off. I really do think the FF developers know everyone thinks their RPG series is the best, so they go about trying to make it the best so that people still call it the best. Doesn't that seem sort of like logical speculation rather than comments of a fanboy?

But with western RPGs (Echh) overtaking the American market, seems like it won't be considered the best for much longer...At least in regards to current installments.

8. Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree. Since 2001's , the two immediate installments (XI and XII. X's sequel doesn't count) that came out I thought were lackluster as well. And it took them 9 years to make an FF game that I think I can truly be interested in again. So I agree in saying that if you look at the FF series from a modern perspective, then maybe you shouldn't get too excited about upcoming installments. That being said, the fact that the series is resposible for such massive hits such as IV, VI, VII and X (Well I'll exclude X since you don't like it, and add VIII because you do) would make lots of people still get excited for it, just because it's the name behind those games.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Alright, I think this has officially become a debate, so here:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=18583171
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:59 pm

@Bio: Ok, by Saturday I will have commented on your journal entry.

Did anyone see the new South Park? It was s'alright.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:03 pm

I'll hold you to that, doctor.

Ooh, new South Park? Yay.
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games