Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 780 781 782 783 784 785 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 pm
Oops, my mistake, I confused Niph with Sin. xd It was meant to be Sin's birthday yesterday. Oh well, let's say happy belated birthday to her.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 pm
No way! Mrs Mackay is the only one who really.. appreciates style in both essay creative writing and awards marks fairly for it; the other teachers are too obsessed with making you jump through the hoops. And she never got on my back about handing in stuff.. I think that was 'cause she realised I wasn't the kind of person who could be restrained to deadlines XD (in other words, if you do it consistently enough, she'll give up making you hand stuff in).

@'elfy - D; I miss my sin-chan, she should come back <3  

Niphz
Crew

mymiridon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm
haha niph is so violent.

Is currently making care packages or as I like to call them, adult survival kits >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 am
ninja  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am
Lol I want a care package!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:36 pm
Uh, well my friend asked me to read an essay that she had written, and she used the phrase "her eyelashes fluttered like butterflies" at least 3 times, which is not only waaay too much repetitiveness, but the sentence is cliched in the first place. Mrs Mackay marked it as: "Beautiful description!" scream
I would never read a book if it started like that!

We have a whole half-term to write the draft of our creative writing coursework...

WTF you can just write about anything?! At least give us subjects to choose from! I am actually going to die...

What did you write about, Niphy? -steals ideas- ninja

Haha, we were mocking Mrs Robertson in our English lesson today. We were asked to write a six-word story, and I wrote: "Coram Boy- one page per lesson".

@ Yalie: Are there any "Survival Kits for Art Students?" -faints-

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

mymiridon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 pm
lol!!! "her eyelashes fluttered like butterflies"? rofl! Should your eyelashes be fluttering? and if they were fluttering like butterflies then she wouldn't have eyelashes. They'd all have fluttered away.

but yes, there are survival kits for art students. Involves lots of candy xD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:10 am
Once upon a time, in a gaia forum, far, far away... ninja  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 am
Mrs Mackay is very.. encouraging. And she's only really demanding if she thinks you can do better. So.. maybe your friend's just not that good xD

I got full marks in creative writing coursework ;D I'll send you mine if you want. Add me on msn: linnie.niphredil@gmail.com
I wrote about.. writing. LOL. It's meant to be really short right?

Repetitiveness is shitty though. And that sentence didn't sound that great, no. P;  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:27 pm
You got full marks?!
I barely scraped an A* in my first piece of coursework, which was a presentation about Culture and Identity...

Mrs Steer said that there is no limit, but you should aim for 1000 words! I mean, how can you write anything in only two pages? Unless it's my: "Coram Boy- one page per lesson"...

I had you on my MSN anyway... Bah, I just logged off ¬.¬

I can't get my MSN account into Microsoft Outlook! It's so inconvenient to have to sign in and out every time...

@ Yalie: I think the girl was just waking up and she was blinking or something...
She could have just used "blinked" instead of the butterflies simile... -_-'

Haha, my classmates write the funniest English essays ever... One girl described the clouds as "Baffling clouds"- I said they were only baffling because we didn't have a clue what she meant by it xD

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:58 am
I prefer writing short pieces. The art of writing is in distilling what you want to say into the fewest possible words which have the highest possible impact.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:17 pm
I've no problem with distilling what I have to say- but the problem is I don't HAVE anything to say in the first place.

My "words of high impact" are all exteedingly cheesy and heroic as a result of reading too much manga O.O

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:39 pm
Niphz
I prefer writing short pieces. The art of writing is in distilling what you want to say into the fewest possible words which have the highest possible impact.

I'm the complete opposite of you. I like writing very long and extended stories with complicated plot structures and character arcs. I suck at writing short pieces, especially if they are one-shot pieces about character. I guess I'm like Liani-read far too much manga and now every single story I write is full of Shonen tropes. xd

On the other hand, I am brilliant at writing intellectual non-fiction pieces, such as analytical essays and resports, whether they are short 500 word pieces or 12000 word theses. If I was to publish something, I would more likely be a book about politics or history than a novel.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:55 pm
For non-fiction, I am good at writing short poetry analyses, but other than that, all my essys are 5 pages+ ¬.¬

My friend has already written a book and is waiting until she's old enough to have it published (I think the publishing agency that accepted it has a minimum age limit of 18 ). I looked it over and it was full of horrible sentence structures and cliches.
Fortunately, I can criticise it to my heart's content, because she's not that affected by people being mean to her, and she knows I'm not the most generous person in the world xD

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

mymiridon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:50 pm
@mini: lol, short stories are for those of us who get bored easily.

@niph: I'll send you one in december Xp maybe

@lv: wow... lol the publishing company accepted it with all the horrible sentence structure? lolz  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 780 781 782 783 784 785 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games