Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 782 783 784 785 786 787 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:33 am
Lol we all agree that Niph is a Shakespeare nut. rofl She would do well in an Arts degree majoring in Theatre studies. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 am
@ Yalie: Agreed.

Shakespeare could have at least made his plays a bit shorter...
I fell asleep watching the whole thing.
And he spent like, two pages in "Romeo and Juliet" basically saying:
"Romeo: Juliet, gimme a snog", as my friend put it. ¬.¬

@ Niphy: Erm , nice face-paint? Reminds me when I went as a cat in the halloween party in year 7, and my friend made me look like a skeleton instead of a cat ¬.¬

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Princess Rhode
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 pm

i am utterly hopeless at essays. D:

if i remember correctly,
        romeo and juliet met, fell in love, married, were separated, reunited, and died all within a week.
        . o.

and shakespeare's plays only typically have five parts.
        they're not that long. o:

niphy;
        did you paint your entire body yellow?
        at least, the parts which were not covered by clothing?
        . w.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:45 pm
I don't think Shakespeare's plays were that long either. But some of his stories seem completely farfetched for modern audiences. I mean, Romeo and Juliet are like 14 year olds. I guess back in Shakespeare's time 13/14 was the age of adulthood, but people who read it now may think Shakespeare was condoning underage sex and instant marriage nuptials. ninja  

Minielf

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:26 pm
I think Juliet was 13 (her mother mentioned having her ar the age of 12, which was younger than she would be married), and Romeo was about 17...

The Royal Shakespeare Company put on the play, and it lasted over three hours. At the end I was sitting there fiddling with my Rubik's Cube ¬.¬

Some say that Romeo and Juliet was Shakespeare's idea of a joke- mocking young love -_-;

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 am
Up until the day I read it, I had always thought Romeo and Juliet was an epic, epic love story because of the way people referenced it. Just. The most epic romance of all time.

Then I actually read it and realized that it was the most epic fail story of all time. Still worth the fame, just not quite for the reasons I thought. harharhar.

Hyacinthe Comeaux

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 pm
Haha, same! I thought that there would be loads of deep meaning to it, but in the end it was just another melodramatic love story ^.^
Shakespeare wrote it quite early in his career, so he must have just been showing off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:01 pm
The idea of love in Shakespeare's time wasn't as complex as it is today-back then, people married for inheritance and continuing the dynastic line. So a play like Romeo and Juliet. Of course nowadays it seems positively timid compared to trashy romance novels, and or even 19th century romatic classics.  

Minielf

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:55 am
I wouldn't mind marrying for inheritance- as long as the person is not terribly ugly, terribly stupid or terribly argumentative.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 am
I'd marry for money
Then cheat on him
;D  

Niphz
Crew

Hyacinthe Comeaux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:15 am
Suppose that meant he would withdraw all financial support.

Would you still marry for money then?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Niphy could still divorce, and claim half of his money ^.^
That would be awesome O.O

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 pm
God you girls have a such a cynical view on marriage. Wouldn't any of you marry for love? blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 pm

what happens if he makes you sign a prenup,
        and so then you gain nothing from divorce.
        o:

Princess Rhode
Crew

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 782 783 784 785 786 787 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games