Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Did anyone see the new South Park earlier?

My husband and I were going to watch the rerun, but they're airing another episode.

Was the new episode that offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:24 pm

AngelaAshford

My husband and I were going to watch the rerun, but they're airing another episode.

Not really.

But it was really satisfying for the old school fans such as myself. Some characters that haven't been seen for nearly a decade return, and sadly, one of them dies. crying

Also, the revelation at the end of who Cartman's father really is was pretty effed up...But not nearly as effed up as the episode directly related to the revelation.

Oi, Bio! When are you gonna put up your top 10 already? I'm brimming with anticipation!

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Thee Stranger
lol, it took a little while to sink in. xd Ha, ha. You're hilarious, Bio. No, seriously, that was pretty funny. Well, I can always hope that they may be going the Tatsunoko vs Capcom route, and rendering all the characters in 3D. Then maybe we'll get an alternate S.T.A.R.S. outfit or something.

And hey, they got the oldschool Umbrella labcoats for the avatars on XBOX Live, so they're not completely over the GOOD RE games just yet.
Well, Darkside Chronicles doesn't count.

@Chase: Right now! Where's your reply about Dream Theater?

EDIT: Well, I just watched that episode of South Park and man, I gotta say, it was probably the best episode I've seen in a long long while. And the ending, I just laughed my a** off, I dunno why, I just didn't expect him to end up there, hahahah.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End
Images and Words was alright. I liked half of the songs on it, those being: Pull Me Under, Take the Time, Metropolis and Under a Glass Moon. The other songs were just meh. That being said, it's far from being my favorite album of theirs.
Surrounded is probably one of my favorite songs on the album. I actually like Under a Glass Moon the least. Still like it though. But Metropolis is probably my overall favorite song by Dream Theater.

Chase Me To The End
Awake has five songs I really love: 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, Erotomania and Lifting Shadows Off a Dream. Good shi*.
I only got Awake recently. I like the Mind Beside Itself suite, (which is Erotomania, Voices and The Silent Man) which I pretty much listen to altogether, as one big song, rather than 3 separate tracks. Lie is always awesome. But the one that stood out most for me was Space Dye Vest. Kevin Moore was a kick a** composer.

Chase Me To The End
A Change of Seasons, while not my favorite album, is possibly my favorite song of theirs. It's just 23 minutes of awesomeness.

Well, a Change of Seasons is technically an EP and not a full fledged album, and all the other songs on it are live covers. Which, the Big Medley I love. But yeah, the Change of Seasons song is like, worth its own CD.

Chase Me To The End

I'm still listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
Overall, I think Six Degrees is definitely not my favorite album, but the Six Degrees suite, the "Disc 2" of the album, basically, is like, one of the best things they've ever done, IMO. 40 minute epic.

Chase Me To The End
Train of Thought is the album I'm most familiar with of them, and thus it is probably my favorite album of theirs. Love all the songs on it except Vacant.
You don't like the quiet, acoustic songs, do you?
Train of Though is just metal. It's always good, when I'm in that heavy mood. Endless Sacrifice is probably my favorite song on it.

Chase Me To The End
Absolutely hated Octavarium. Such unexpected bland and generic dreck. I only somewhat liked The Root of All Evil.
As if, man. Octavarium was sick. Especially the title track, but I loved every track on the album to an extent.

Chase Me To The End
Love Systematic Chaos. Not a single song I dislike on it.
Yeah, Systematic Chaos is probably my second favorite album of theirs. No fillers on that one, each song is very distinct and has a very different sound to it.
EDIT: Favorite song: Ministry of Lost Souls

Chase Me To The End
So, about the other albums. Are they any good? Cause my dad doesn't have any of 'em on his iTunes and want to know if any of them are integral to the Dream Theater experience.

Well, the two albums of theirs that I don't have are "When Dream and Day Unite" which was their first album. It was pretty good, there's a few memorable tracks on it, but this was before James LaBrie, so because they had Charlie Dominici as the singer back then, they kinda sounded like Queensryche. So take from it what you will, it's like old school DT music, with Queensryche singing.

The other album of theirs that I have yet to buy is Falling Into Infinity. I listened to many songs from it though, and here's the thing. When they were making the album, their record label got massive staff changes, and they were kind of pushed into making a "Radio Friendly" album. It's still good music, but it's all 4, 5, 6 minute songs, so there's no epics on it. Which kinda sucks. But there are some really good songs on it like Peruvian Skies and Hollow Years. Actually, you might not like it so much, because overall, it's a fairly soft album.

Their newest album, Black Clouds and Silver Linings is awesome. It's like Systematic Chaos in that it's got very different sounding songs, and all of them are fairly heavy, or epic. The only difference is that conceptually it's the opposite of Systematic Chaos. SC was telling all kinds of stories with vampires, evil spirits and whatnot, and Black Clouds is all about real life stories that happened to John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy. They're pretty cool, though. So I definitely recommend it.

But Scenes From a Memory, their album from 1999 is I'd say their best album. It's a concept album, first of all, so it's got its own murder mystery storyline thing going on, which is aweseome. But musically it's also really diverse. It's got slow, powerful ballads, it's got really crazy fast heavy tracks, it's just awesome. A lot of DT fans consider it their favorite, and I do too.
Actually, if you watched the American version of "DBZ: The History of Trunks" where it shows that alternate future with Androids 17 and 18, and Gohan loses his arm... There's like 4 or 5 songs from this album in the movie, during fight scenes, and some other scenes. That's actually how I found out about Dream Theater in the first place.

Ok. Sorry for the wait.

A Change of Seasons: Though the covers were good, I'd rather listen to the originals, so I didn't keep any of them.

Train of Thought: No, I'm not into most of their quiet or acoustic songs. I want it heavy when it comes to Dream Theater!

Octavarium: I don't want to have to listen to it again, so I'll remain with my opinion.

Ok, I'll ignore When Dream and Day Unite.

And I'll also ignore Falling Into Infinity.

Ok, I'll check out their latest album as well as Scenes from a Memory. Thanks for the advice.

I just found out that all the shi* that was bleeped out in the latest episode of SP wasn't intentional. It was a move employed by Comedy Central to protect Trey and Matt from some threatening whackjob. And I thought it was intentional. That just makes it even funnier. I'm glad Trey and Matt are doing their jobs well.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:50 pm

See, what I don't get is, if you like Pink Floyd better than Dream Theater, but you only like Dream Theater's heavy stuff... But Pink Floyd is softer than Dream Theater... How does that work?

Hmm, that's interesting. Usually they run the South Park episodes fully uncensored here in Canada, on TV, so I'll have to check it out when it actually airs on Saturday, to see how much of it they let go.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
See, what I don't get is, if you like Pink Floyd better than Dream Theater, but you only like Dream Theater's heavy stuff... But Pink Floyd is softer than Dream Theater... How does that work?

Hmm, that's interesting. Usually they run the South Park episodes fully uncensored here in Canada, on TV, so I'll have to check it out when it actually airs on Saturday, to see how much of it they let go.

Look at it this way: Dream Theater, like Pink Floyd, incorporate many different genres into their music. That being said, Dream Theater's main focus and unarguable area of expertise is Metal (Progressiveness aside), and it is in that genre where they excel. In saying that, though they oft stray outside their comfort zone, I don't think their lighter or softer works are anywhere near as good as their metal tunes. That's just IMO.

With Pink Floyd, they excel more with the rock genre (I don't want to call it light or soft because it isn't). And when you compare Pink Floyd's rock songs with Dream Theater's lighter work (Which I would just lable rock as well), there's no contest. I would say that's IMO, but I'm pretty sure general rock enthusiasts would agree with me.

But, I've always been more of a rock fan than a metal fan anyways. Though that would make it seem that I would prefer Dream Theater's rock songs over it's metal songs, I just don't think their rock songs are anywhere near as good as their metal stuff, and incomparable to Pink Floyd.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 pm

But the great thing about Dream Theater is that they cater to everything. Some of their lighter stuff I wouldn't even call Rock... Like, you know, if I wake up one day and I'm in a Metal mood, I can be like, "alright, I'll put on Train of Thought" or one of their heavy songs from their other albums, and it's awesome. Some days I wake up and it's like, I just feel so uplifted, and I just wanna listen to something lighter and happier, things like "Surrounded" from Images and Words, or "The Silent Man", and it's perfect. And yeah, typically if I wanna listen to "Rock" rock, I'd pull for something closer to Kansas or Dio, or something of the sort. But with DT, their lighter stuff is almost Soft Rock, it's almost like... On the level of Pop only with actual integrity, like Elton John type pop, but without the constant romance subject matter.
If I had to name a Dream Theater "Rock" song, that would compare to bands like Dio or Styx, it would be Take The Time, which I personally don't think is that Metal, even though at the time it was one of their heavier songs. Same with 6:00, it's got a very "rock"ish sound to it, especially the drums. But they're still on the heavy side.
But with songs like Surrounded or The Answer Lies Within, I wouldn't even put them into Hard Rock. They're like, acoustic, on the same level as Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity", which is also a beautiful song.

But the awesome thing is that Dream Theater ranges in all directions of the Rock genre. It's not just about incorporating other genres, it's about embracing them that much more. They might call themselves a Progressive Metal band, but they don't pigeon hole themselves into it. In that way, they're a lot like Queen, only with a bit more emphasis on the Metal. And that's a good thing.

Look, even if we took Dream Theater out of the equation, I'd say Queensryche is better than Pink Floyd. And Dream Theater is better than Queensryche.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Chase Me To The End
AngelaAshford

Not really.

But it was really satisfying for the old school fans such as myself. Some characters that haven't been seen for nearly a decade return, and sadly, one of them dies. crying

Also, the revelation at the end of who Cartman's father really is was pretty effed up...But not nearly as effed up as the episode directly related to the revelation.

Oi, Bio! When are you gonna put up your top 10 already? I'm brimming with anticipation!

I ended up seeing it later that night through special means. It was good, I really liked the last part. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Did you see the message on the South Park Studios website about the stream of that episode? xd

MadamTarantula

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Speaking of Censorship and "I learned something today"s, I just watched The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie, and I gotta say, it's one of the most hilarious, politicaly incorrect movies I've ever seen. Man, I felt like I got violated by a magician, in the best way possible.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
But the great thing about Dream Theater is that they cater to everything. Some of their lighter stuff I wouldn't even call Rock... Like, you know, if I wake up one day and I'm in a Metal mood, I can be like, "alright, I'll put on Train of Thought" or one of their heavy songs from their other albums, and it's awesome. Some days I wake up and it's like, I just feel so uplifted, and I just wanna listen to something lighter and happier, things like "Surrounded" from Images and Words, or "The Silent Man", and it's perfect. And yeah, typically if I wanna listen to "Rock" rock, I'd pull for something closer to Kansas or Dio, or something of the sort. But with DT, their lighter stuff is almost Soft Rock, it's almost like... On the level of Pop only with actual integrity, like Elton John type pop, but without the constant romance subject matter.
If I had to name a Dream Theater "Rock" song, that would compare to bands like Dio or Styx, it would be Take The Time, which I personally don't think is that Metal, even though at the time it was one of their heavier songs. Same with 6:00, it's got a very "rock"ish sound to it, especially the drums. But they're still on the heavy side.
But with songs like Surrounded or The Answer Lies Within, I wouldn't even put them into Hard Rock. They're like, acoustic, on the same level as Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity", which is also a beautiful song.

But the awesome thing is that Dream Theater ranges in all directions of the Rock genre. It's not just about incorporating other genres, it's about embracing them that much more. They might call themselves a Progressive Metal band, but they don't pigeon hole themselves into it. In that way, they're a lot like Queen, only with a bit more emphasis on the Metal. And that's a good thing.

Look, even if we took Dream Theater out of the equation, I'd say Queensryche is better than Pink Floyd. And Dream Theater is better than Queensryche.

Same can be said about Pink Floyd. They've also done music in the genre of heavy metal-ish with Animals.

Like I said, both bands are very varied in their music. But now that I have listened to both the majority of Pink Floyd's and Dream Theater's discography, I can say without a doubt that Pink Floyd is way more varied. But that's not even the point of this convo.

What I want to say is, I don't think you give Pink Floyd enough credit.

I'm not denying Dream Theater is very varied, but it sounds like you're trying to say Pink Floyd doesn't cater to everything when you say Dream Theater does. Or am I misinterpreting you?

How many albums of Pink Floyd have you truly listened to?

Anyways, what I want to also say is that I prefer Pink Floyd over Dream Theater or Queensryche becuase I prefer rock, or to be less general, classic rock over metal.

I mean, when it comes to the term rock, generally speaking, it usually means classic rock (From Elvis to Zeppelin) because every genre that comes afterwords is a extended genre, like punk or metal, so I don't think any of Dream Theaters songs really capture the true essence of rock...Or can you give me one that does?

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 pm

You know what I think my biggest problem with Pink Floyd is? Now, I'm not extensively familiar with 1960's and 1970's Rock music in general, so I don't really know how influential Pink Floyd was as a band BACK THEN... As in, how original their overall sound was compared to the other stuff that was around at the time... But listening to Pink Floyd, their overall sound seems a tad generic. Now, don't take that offensively, like I said, I'm not too familiar with Rock of that time, so for all I know every other Rock band I've heard that sounds like Pink Floyd, is just an immitation act... But the fact is, I have heard a LOT of very similar sounding music. I can honestly say that I have never heard anything like Dream Theater. Now, Dream Theater might have one song that's inspired by such a band, or another genre, or whatever. But their overall sound, I've never heard anything like it.

But back to that poing, no I don't think Dream Theater has any songs that sound, "Classic Rock"ish. I'm not really that into Classic Rock, so to be honest, if I WAS to start listening to it, I'd have to shop around before I can tell you that I like Pink Floyd better than some other bands that might have been out around that time.

The thing is, you're right, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater have a very different sound. And the only reason we're even having this conversation was because at one point, I said something like, "Nothing better than Dream Theater, when, such and such," I don't remember what EXACTLY I said, but then you said, "Well, Pink Floyd is better," so you're the one who made the comparison. Which, the only reason I see to comparing them would be because they're both "Progressive" even though one's Rock, the other is Metal. So I dunno, it's kind of not fitting.
Now, if I said, "Nothing better than listening to Rush," and you said "Pink Floyd is better," that's a different issue, because they're both Progressive Rock. Though to be honest, yes, I think Pink Floyd IS better than Rush.

Hmm... Should this conversation be in the debate forum?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
You know what I think my biggest problem with Pink Floyd is? Now, I'm not extensively familiar with 1960's and 1970's Rock music in general, so I don't really know how influential Pink Floyd was as a band BACK THEN... As in, how original their overall sound was compared to the other stuff that was around at the time... But listening to Pink Floyd, their overall sound seems a tad generic. Now, don't take that offensively, like I said, I'm not too familiar with Rock of that time, so for all I know every other Rock band I've heard that sounds like Pink Floyd, is just an immitation act... But the fact is, I have heard a LOT of very similar sounding music. I can honestly say that I have never heard anything like Dream Theater. Now, Dream Theater might have one song that's inspired by such a band, or another genre, or whatever. But their overall sound, I've never heard anything like it.

But back to that poing, no I don't think Dream Theater has any songs that sound, "Classic Rock"ish. I'm not really that into Classic Rock, so to be honest, if I WAS to start listening to it, I'd have to shop around before I can tell you that I like Pink Floyd better than some other bands that might have been out around that time.

The thing is, you're right, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater have a very different sound. And the only reason we're even having this conversation was because at one point, I said something like, "Nothing better than Dream Theater, when, such and such," I don't remember what EXACTLY I said, but then you said, "Well, Pink Floyd is better," so you're the one who made the comparison. Which, the only reason I see to comparing them would be because they're both "Progressive" even though one's Rock, the other is Metal. So I dunno, it's kind of not fitting.
Now, if I said, "Nothing better than listening to Rush," and you said "Pink Floyd is better," that's a different issue, because they're both Progressive Rock. Though to be honest, yes, I think Pink Floyd IS better than Rush.

Hmm... Should this conversation be in the debate forum?

I take no offense. Of course nowadays Pink Floyd seems generic, because their sound and varying style has been copied extensively by such musical artists/bands as Smashing Pumpkins or Muse (Which means they're even influential nowadays).

But back then, in the toddler days of Rock, Pink Floyd was one of a kind, baby.

I only said Pink Floyd was better at rock songs; but since Dream Theater really doesn't touch the genre of classic rock all too much, that's understandable.

But, there are a lot of things I think that both Dream Theater and Pink Floyd do in which Dream Theater does it better, such as hard/heavy rock.

No, I think this convo is about over. You're right; Comparing the two bands isn't fitting.

Also, if you're not into 60s and 70s rock, I don't think we can have a knowledgable debate anyways. I know more about that genre than you do (I presume), and you know much more about metal than I.

Are you into Black Sabbath? There's a 60s/70s hardish rock band you should be familiar with.

King of Paradise

The King of Misery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Football practice kicked the s**t out of me.Feels like i got hit by a truck.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Well, I haven't listened to too much Black Sabbath, but I did like what I heard. It's kinda sad that Ozzy's been reduced to a reality TV persona. He really is the prince of darkness.

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I haven't listened to too much Black Sabbath, but I did like what I heard. It's kinda sad that Ozzy's been reduced to a reality TV persona. He really is the prince of darkness.

That's "the prince of ******** darkness". xd
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games