Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Chase Me To The End

1. If you think teenagers are annoying, how the hell do you love FFVIII haha? Nah, see, I'd side with you on the whole "Tidus has annoying daddy angst issues" if it weren't for the fact that I can understand Tidus' angst. Jecht is a major as*hole douchebag to Tidus, so the fact that he has to deal with Jecht as Sin...You gotta admit, that is pretty rough...Especially on a teenager.

Squall was so ******** emo. xd
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 pm

AngelaAshford
Squall was so ******** emo. xd
Compared to Tidus, Squall was Mr. Badass. And even still, Squall experienced tremendous character development, and even from the start, he displayed a lot of character strength, even if it was masked by teen angst.

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:20 am

@ Bio: I'm not going to address everything here. Like I said before, I get where you're coming from. We just have different ideas of what constitutes a "great" action movie. I like Commando, and it's great at being an entertaining mindless action flick, yes, but I would never consider it a "great" movie. Because, well... it's just a mindless action flick. They're a dime a dozen. It's kinda like fast food. It's fast, convenient, and tastes great, but there's no real nutritional value. Mindless action flicks are fun, and don't bother to pause the action for any sort of exposition, but, for me, provide no real nourishment. I would consider something like District 9 a "great" action movie. Because it has a unique and compelling story, social commentary, drama, comedy... little bit of everything. And characters that I actually felt for and sympathized with. Along with plenty of exciting action sequences and special effects that are just as good as anything you'll see in Transformers or something. For me, that's what sets it apart from the rest of the mindless fodder and elevates it to "great" status. And The Ring's storyline not only sucked a**, but was boring as hell. If it actually had a good storyline, it wouldn't have dragged.

And in defense of Elena, Wesker in RE5 is just as Wesker as he is in Code Veronica and RE4. Same character; acts largely the same. And going back to the original Resident Evil, Wesker remarks, "all weak people exist to be eaten". That pretty much fits with Wesker's whole plan in RE5, and thus, his character. He's always worn pretty much all black, and his super-human powers have been in place since CV, so *shrugs* I don't really care to take it to the debate thread or anything, but I'm throwing that out there.
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:20 am

Thee Stranger
@ Bio: I'm not going to address everything here. Like I said before, I get where you're coming from. We just have different ideas of what constitutes a "great" action movie. I like Commando, and it's great at being an entertaining mindless action flick, yes, but I would never consider it a "great" movie. Because, well... it's just a mindless action flick. They're a dime a dozen. It's kinda like fast food. It's fast, convenient, and tastes great, but there's no real nutritional value. Mindless action flicks are fun, and don't bother to pause the action for any sort of exposition, but, for me, provide no real nourishment. I would consider something like District 9 a "great" action movie. Because it has a unique and compelling story, social commentary, drama, comedy... little bit of everything. And characters that I actually felt for and sympathized with. Along with plenty of exciting action sequences and special effects that are just as good as anything you'll see in Transformers or something. For me, that's what sets it apart from the rest of the mindless fodder and elevates it to "great" status.
Well, here's the line... A movie is a movie. A mindless action flick can be a great movie. But the storyline is what defines whether the movie is a film or a flick. You take something like District 9, it's a great action film (despite ripping off so many ideas from The Fly), where Commando is a great action flick. They kind of have a different purpose, and in that respect, they're both great movies because they both accomplish what they set out to do.
Comparing them to food is hard, because you can't really say, "Sometimes, I don't WANT nutrition, I just want something to get lodged in my colon for several days."

But with movies, sometimes I don't WANT a deep storyline that makes me think. After a hard day's work, or a stressful day in general, turning off one's brain to enjoy a few mindless explosions can be a GOOD thing.

Thee Stranger
And The Ring's storyline not only sucked a**, but was boring as hell. If it actually had a good storyline, it wouldn't have dragged.

So you agree... If the Dark Knight actually had a good storyline it wouldn't have dragged?

Thee Stranger
And in defense of Elena, Wesker in RE5 is just as Wesker as he is in Code Veronica and RE4. Same character; acts largely the same. And going back to the original Resident Evil, Wesker remarks, "all weak people exist to be eaten". That pretty much fits with Wesker's whole plan in RE5, and thus, his character. He's always worn pretty much all black, and his super-human powers have been in place since CV, so *shrugs* I don't really care to take it to the debate thread or anything, but I'm throwing that out there.

Well, I don't really bother with THAT remark. I mean, let's face it, if Capcom was going to live up to the original Resident Evil game, then Wesker would've been dead SINCE that game.
As far as I'm concerned, Wesker's main goal was political power, as in owning the company (Umbrella or otherwise), having biological weapons for the purpose of deterrence, etc. etc. etc. Not the, "I'm going to infect everyone and control them through mind control devices, and everyone is just going to be a puppet for ME!" kind of bullshit. Unless he infected himself with T-Veronica Virus, and it gave him the same kind of insane douchebagginess that Alfred and Alexia had.

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am

Commando is an ok action flick.

I'm just being general with my statement.

In the entire genre of action flicks (Which includes every sub-genre), in it Commando would be just ok, whereas other Ahhnold films such as Total Recall and Terminator 2 would be considered great.

Now, if you want to say Commando is great for being a great mindless action flick, I can agree with that. I think all mindless action films are great as long as they achieve their goal of entertaining you with mindless action.
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 am

Chase Me To The End
Commando is an ok action flick.

I'm just being general with my statement.

In the entire genre of action flicks (Which includes every sub-genre), in it Commando would be just ok, whereas other Ahhnold films such as Total Recall and Terminator 2 would be considered great.

Now, if you want to say Commando is great for being a great mindless action flick, I can agree with that. I think all mindless action films are great as long as they achieve their goal of entertaining you with mindless action.
I'm not crazy about Total Recall. It's an interesting movie, but I didn't like the atmosphere that much... Ironic as that statement might be. I'd consider it on par with Commando, though.
See, Terminator 2 is an action film, it's a lot more epic, its special effects were ground breaking, it had a massive budget, and it told a great story.

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

Well, I don't really bother with THAT remark. I mean, let's face it, if Capcom was going to live up to the original Resident Evil game, then Wesker would've been dead SINCE that game.
As far as I'm concerned, Wesker's main goal was political power, as in owning the company (Umbrella or otherwise), having biological weapons for the purpose of deterrence, etc. etc. etc. Not the, "I'm going to infect everyone and control them through mind control devices, and everyone is just going to be a puppet for ME!" kind of bullshit. Unless he infected himself with T-Veronica Virus, and it gave him the same kind of insane douchebagginess that Alfred and Alexia had.

You know, I wonder what would've happened if his plans succeeded... As with all other villains who plot to take over the world, they never seem to have any plans after that. It's stupid. Don't they realize how boring it's going to be, since they'll be alone?
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:12 am

Biohazard EXTREME
But with movies, sometimes I don't WANT a deep storyline that makes me think. After a hard day's work, or a stressful day in general, turning off one's brain to enjoy a few mindless explosions can be a GOOD thing.

And did I ever say it wasn't? No. I just don't consider them great movies. I wouldn't consider the best mindless action movie in the world as good as one with a really good storyline. Just like I wouldn't consider the best burger on any McDonald's or Burger King menu to be on par with my grandmother's homemade cheesy potatoes. Even though I like fast food and might be in the mood for a Big Mac or something every once in a while, I certainly don't consider it fine cuisine. Fast food = no nutrition; Fast action = no substance. That's the best analogy I can come up with. Again, my opinion. And I certainly wouldn't consider Commando on par with something like Total Recall. But that's me.

In regards to The Dark Knight, while I think it's really overrated, I thought it had a pretty good storyline, and it didn't really drag much for me. It was certainly a lot better than The Ring's. I also appreciated the fact that they did Two-Face right this time. Not laughing like clown constantly and re-flipping his coin ten hundred times to get what he wanted, like the Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face. I also appreciated the fact that they did Gordon right for once, and didn't make him a fat, bumbling idiot like in the rest of the movies. Note that there was no Joker nuthugging here. Also, just read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. It's better than any Batman film could ever hope to be.

And finally, Wesker... well, exactly. Notice I said just like Wesker is in RE4 and CV. Because RE5 Wesker is pretty much the same Wesker that he's been since Code Veronica on. The reason I brought up that quote from the original RE is because Elena basically said she was cobbling together psychological theories to support what they did with Wesker. All I was really doing was giving her ammunition, that isn't a theory, and is something that came straight out of Wesker's mouth in the original game ('cause I know she's never played it. wink ), that she could use to support what they did with Wesker in RE5. And I think you know, I've always thought that them bringing Wesker back in the first place was pretty silly. Cool, but silly. And no, I'm definitely not big on Wesker's whole master plan in RE5 or anything. But I did get the impression that the dude kinda popped his cookies. As in, lost his mind. But then again, he was pretty much programmed, which, I know. a lot of people hated. But again, *shrugs* I thought it helped make better sense of his whole ressurection in the first place (not that it makes much more practical sense...), and it doesn't really contradict anything either, like A LOT of Resident Evil's plot twists. And reading the Wesker Reports, he did kind of have an obsession with Spencer. I don't know, but of all the stupid s**t in RE5's storyline, that one's pretty low on my list.

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 am

Thee Stranger
And did I ever say it wasn't? No. I just don't consider them great movies. I wouldn't consider the best mindless action movie in the world as good as one with a really good storyline. Just like I wouldn't consider the best burger on any McDonald's or Burger King menu to be on par with my grandmother's homemade cheesy potatoes. Even though I like fast food and might be in the mood for a Big Mac or something every once in a while, I certainly don't consider it fine cuisine.
Okay, but that's like saying that McDonalds and Burger King have the best burgers any place could offer, which they by far don't. I'd think of the best mindless action movie as that diner burger that's like 1/2 lb, and you can put whatever toppings you want on it. And while that might not be "fine cuisine", it's a damn good meal, and sometimes I'd prefer something like that to my grandma's borscht.

Thee Stranger
Fast food = no nutrition; Fast action = no substance. That's the best analogy I can come up with. Again, my opinion. And I certainly wouldn't consider Commando on par with something like Total Recall. But that's me.
Like I said in my statement above, if you have a big juicy burger from a smaller chain of burger joints, then while still being fast food, it's extremely satisfying, and yes, I'd call it good food. Just like I'd call Commando a good movie.

Thee Stranger

In regards to The Dark Knight, while I think it's really overrated, I thought it had a pretty good storyline, and it didn't really drag much for me. It was certainly a lot better than The Ring's.
I disagree, at least there was the scare factor in The Ring, which kept me on the edge of my seat. And the mystery aspect of it, which held suspense pretty well.

Thee Stranger
I also appreciated the fact that they did Two-Face right this time. Not laughing like clown constantly and re-flipping his coin ten hundred times to get what he wanted, like the Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face.
Well, maybe if Two-Face ended up being the central villain of the movie, and not just a side plot device, it would have been more entertaining of a movie.

Thee Stranger
And finally, Wesker... well, exactly. Notice I said just like Wesker is in RE4 and CV. Because RE5 Wesker is pretty much the same Wesker that he's been since Code Veronica on. The reason I brought up that quote from the original RE is because Elena basically said she was cobbling together psychological theories to support what they did with Wesker. All I was really doing was giving her ammunition, that isn't a theory, and is something that came straight out of Wesker's mouth in the original game ('cause I know she's never played it. wink ), that she could use to support what they did with Wesker in RE5. And I think you know, I've always thought that them bringing Wesker back in the first place was pretty silly. Cool, but silly. And no, I'm definitely not big on Wesker's whole master plan in RE5 or anything. But I did get the impression that the dude kinda popped his cookies. As in, lost his mind.
I still felt like in Code Veronica his goal wasn't "Powah over everything!" like Alexias, it was more of a, "Steal this virus and get back in the lab." His goal still felt true to the original Wesker, even if his delivery was a bit over-passionate.

Thee Stranger
But then again, he was pretty much programmed, which, I know. a lot of people hated. But again, *shrugs* I thought it helped make better sense of his whole ressurection in the first place (not that it makes much more practical sense...), and it doesn't really contradict anything either, like A LOT of Resident Evil's plot twists.
See, it's plot devices like that that made RE5 a terrible ******** story that shouldn't be labeled Resident Evil. I'd rather untangle Capcom's mess of inconsistencies, than accept some bullshit plot points that ruin the scope of what the franchise was supposed to be about in the first place. Yes, I'm still bitter about it!
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 am

Haha, WHAT? Fast food is a damn good meal that's extremely satisfying? What fast food joints have you've been eating at, because I'd really like to know.

The Dark Knight Returns is what got me more into Batman. It is incredible. Sadly, the few batman comics I collected afterwords just couldn't live up to the hype; although, they were still phenomenal in their own regards.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 am

Chase Me To The End
Haha, WHAT? Fast food is a damn good meal that's extremely satisfying? What fast food joints have you've been eating at, because I'd really like to know.

Mrs. Vanelli's and Jimmy The Greek are my favorite ones, and you could find them at virtually any mall food court here.
And those are franchises. If you consider more independent places like John Anderson... I mean, it's like I said, burgers are up to 1/2lb, wingle patty, it's HUGE, you choose your own toppings on it... Extremely satisfying.
Like I said, you need to stop eating at those pathetic little dinky burger joints like McDonalds or BK.

As for Pizza, well, virtually any pizza place I could think of serves slices big enough to satisfy. And if you disagree, then you need to eat less.
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:56 pm

lol Those places are obviously Canadian because I've never heard of them.

MadamTarantula

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, then, US needs to step its fast food game up.
Point is, there's plenty of fulfilling fast food out there, and dare I say, some if it IS nutritious.

Oh, well, look at Subway. You can't tell me a footlong sub with lean meats, all the vegetables you could ask for isn't satisfying. And it sure as hell is nutritious.
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:32 pm

lol. Oh my god, dude. You are missing the point completey. For one, that's not like saying that McDonald's and Burger King are the best burger joints around. I didn't imply anything other than that they were fast food. They're tasy, they're fast, they're convenient, and they're everywhere. But at the end of the day, it may have been tasty, and it may have gone down easy, but it's still just junk food. It is not nutritious. I've never heard of any of the burger joints you've mentioned, but they do not fit into my analogy. In my analogy, you don't choose your own toppings on your half pound burger at your fast food joint. You just order the number 5 with a large coke. Commando is McDonald's to me. I realize that it is more to you, but that is the way I look at it, and you're not going to change my opinion on the matter, not matter how much you try replace the chains I listed with your own, and try to argue that fast food is actually nutritious. xd It's just not gonna happen, dude. Give it up.

The Ring didn't scare me. I thought the movie was a complete piece of s**t, to be perfectly honest. I think the last newer horror movie that I saw that I actually considered good was the original Saw.

And Two-Face wasn't just some side plot device. He was a BIG part of the main story. And Two-Face has never really BEEN a central villain ever. Because he's ******** Two-Face. Depending on the coin, he might fight on Batman's side today.

Well, that may have been the way you felt, but I think Wesker made it pretty ******** clear in Code Veronica that he was quite in love with the "POWAH HE GAINED"!!! MUHAH!!! And seemed perfectly happy with the fact that he traded his "HUMANITY" for it, so he did put powah over some stuff, his own humanity of all things being one of them, and so I really don't see why it's SUCH a travesty that Wesker mutated into (more of) a monster of some sort, or how you didn't see that coming to begin with. And he hated Chris. Hey, just like RE5. I really don't see what's so different about his character here.

Well, *shrugs*, that aspect wasn't a huge deal to me. In fact, I'd say that whole deal was very Resident Evil-like, from Code Veronica to RE0 and on. WESKER is not the scope of Resident Evil. I think the reason Wesker turned out to be the main villain in RE5 was because RE4 KILLED UMBRELLA. So all we really had LEFT was Wesker and Spencer (and Sherry and Steve which they pretty much just threw out the window). So I'd say the scope of what the franchise was supposed to be about was ruined in RE4. RE5, while it did have a pretty shitty storyline, actually brought what was left of the old plot back and brought it to a close. And while I too would have liked to have seen Wesker actually have an intelligent, non-cliche plan of some sort, *shrugs*, it's Resident Evil, dude. It's never exactly been brilliant storytelling.

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Thee Stranger
lol. Oh my god, dude. You are missing the point completey. For one, that's not like saying that McDonald's and Burger King are the best burger joints around. I didn't imply anything other than that they were fast food. They're tasy, they're fast, they're convenient, and they're everywhere. But at the end of the day, it may have been tasty, and it may have gone down easy, but it's still just junk food. It is not nutritious. I've never heard of any of the burger joints you've mentioned, but they do not fit into my analogy. In my analogy, you don't choose your own toppings on your half pound burger at your fast food joint. You just order the number 5 with a large coke. Commando is McDonald's to me. I realize that it is more to you, but that is the way I look at it, and you're not going to change my opinion on the matter, not matter how much you try replace the chains I listed with your own, and try to argue that fast food is actually nutritious. xd It's just not gonna happen, dude. Give it up.
Well, Commando is a good movie.

Thee Stranger

The Ring didn't scare me. I thought the movie was a complete piece of s**t, to be perfectly honest. I think the last newer horror movie that I saw that I actually considered good was the original Saw.
I don't even consider Saw horror, to be honest. I consider it more of a thriller, same with The Final Destination. I mean, even if you say you liked the original Saw, did it scare you? Cause I have a hard time believing that it would.

Thee Stranger
Well, that may have been the way you felt, but I think Wesker made it pretty ******** clear in Code Veronica that he was quite in love with the "POWAH HE GAINED"!!! MUHAH!!! And seemed perfectly happy with the fact that he traded his "HUMANITY" for it, so he did put powah over some stuff, his own humanity of all things being one of them, and so I really don't see why it's SUCH a travesty that Wesker mutated into (more of) a monster of some sort, or how you didn't see that coming to begin with. And he hated Chris. Hey, just like RE5. I really don't see what's so different about his character here.
Again, different kind of power. He was talking about a "Look, I'm Super-Man, and I am super strong and super fast" sort of power, not the, "I'm going to control everyone's mind and be the leader of everyone because they'll be mindless zombies," sort of power. And he already had achieved that. So it's not like, "I want to have power," he already had that superhuman physical trait. What he was after in that game was the T-Veronica Virus, and as far as we could tell, he was obtaining it FOR someone. In other words, he was pretty much an agent in that game, who happened to get caught up in meeting Chris again, and wanting to end him.

Thee Stranger
So I'd say the scope of what the franchise was supposed to be about was ruined in RE4.
Uh... YEAH! What have I been saying this whole time!?

Thee Stranger
RE5, while it did have a pretty shitty storyline, actually brought what was left of the old plot back and brought it to a close. And while I too would have liked to have seen Wesker actually have an intelligent, non-cliche plan of some sort, *shrugs*, it's Resident Evil, dude. It's never exactly been brilliant storytelling.
Never been brilliant storytelling... But brillant backstory yes. Umbrella, T-Virus, conspiracies, etc. etc. etc. Those were all very cool plot devices. And the very events that happened within the games were awesome too, what happened with Birkin, how the Mansion Incident affected the STARS, the ultimate fate of Raccoon City, it all told a very awesome story, even if the WAY it told it might've been a bit disjointed at times.

And yes, RE started going downhill since Code Veronica, and yes RE4 destroyed the franchise entirely. My point is that RE5 did NOTHING to redeem the franchise.
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games