Books you hated. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When I read a book I hate...
  ...I don't finish it.
  ...I finish it.
  ...I finish it and rant for days about how much time I wasted on that POS.
View Results

Byouki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 am
Lolita comes to mind. I just hated everyone involved in the story. No one had any redeeming features. I seriously think Nabokov wrote it this way because he wanted to create something most people would be repulsed by.

Anything by VC Andrews. That woman (pardon.. man) gives me hope for my own literary career.

Mask of the Wind, or whatever that was, by Iris Johansson. What a load of crap that one was -- "Oh girl! I've known you maybe a month and I'm all hot and bothered for you. I NEED you."

Harry Potter series -- I'm so sick of the superhero syndrome. Ditto this symptom in Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta books.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:08 am
cheez and pikkles
One book I couldn't stand and skipped a ton of pages before I finally gave up? The Cry of the Icemark. I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but I didn't like it. It was just so... boring... stare

I loved the Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring, but I couldn't get through the Two Towers. I'm not sure why. I might try it again, though.

Notice how I have no clue why. whee

Oh yes, I'm just trolling back here.. and I found your post. I came across THE SAME PROBLEM with LOTR. Maybe it's the whole "Tom Bombadill and his forest of faggotry" thing?  

Byouki

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:00 pm
@ Byouki: Just a warning, but you need to watch your language a bit. I'm editing your posts, but in the future just be aware that this guild doesn't allow that kind of stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:25 pm
Probably the worst book I have ever read was A Long Way From Chicago. OMG it was the most boring book I have ever read in my life, and plus I'm not really that into that era( the Depression Era)  

rachyrach16xo

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 pm
I very very vaguely remember that book from an elementary school book club. I don't think I liked it very much either...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:23 pm
I don't like;

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I know the rest of the series wasn't anything to brag about, but this book was absolutely horrible.

Far From Xanadu by Julie Anne Peters. I took this book out of the library without reading the back (big big big mistake) and it was just .. so bad. I did not like any of the characters, I thought the storyline was not so great, and just.. no.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I did not like the storyline, the oh so darling Daisy, or even Nick. I thought Gatsby was simply stupid, and just.. not really my type of book. Plus the whole writing of an essay on the symbolism in the novel kind of ruined it even more. Oh green light, shine across the lake! >.>

Of course, there are more, but that is what comes to mind right now.

theorie de chaos

Anya Icheheen

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm
a book or books i hated... hm... let's see...

Final Book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
His Dark Materials Trilogy (as in the Golden Compass...)
The Practice of Theology (for a class)

well, guess i don't have very many since i love most of the books that i choose.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm
Anya Icheheen

well, guess i don't have very many since i love most of the books that i choose.

Ah, really, why did you hate His Dark Materials?  

penandpaper67
Captain

Anya Icheheen

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:36 pm
penandpaper67
Anya Icheheen

Ah, really, why did you hate His Dark Materials?

well, im a avid Christian and studying to be a missionary. it is because of my beliefs that i disliked it. but, i will not think badly of those who do like it. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:01 pm
I figured. I think that's completely valid though, and I understand your views.

I have decided now (more than ever) that I officially hate all teen realistic fiction except for a small number of exceptions.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Colonel T-Bone

Charitable Lunatic

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm
Just about anything by Amy Tan. I'm sorry, but they are all the same friggin' book!
The Great Gatsby is just too horrible for me to list all of the reasons.
The adventures of Huckleberry Finn, though there is a chance I might have been able to stand that one if I hadn't read the much better Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
The Lord of the Flies can be summarized in less than a page, everything else is just drivel to fill the pages. I mean, honestly, a bunch of English boys crash on an island, make fire, and then they kill each other for food! You just read the book!
Last one is a very beloved book of people everywhere, The Scarlet Letter. it just plods along, she's shunned from society, her daughter is possessed, and the priest was unfaithful, fathered a demon child, and branded his chest. Woopity Doo!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm
theorie de chaos
I don't like;

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I know the rest of the series wasn't anything to brag about, but this book was absolutely horrible.

Far From Xanadu by Julie Anne Peters. I took this book out of the library without reading the back (big big big mistake) and it was just .. so bad. I did not like any of the characters, I thought the storyline was not so great, and just.. no.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I did not like the storyline, the oh so darling Daisy, or even Nick. I thought Gatsby was simply stupid, and just.. not really my type of book. Plus the whole writing of an essay on the symbolism in the novel kind of ruined it even more. Oh green light, shine across the lake! >.>

Of course, there are more, but that is what comes to mind right now.

I agree about Breaking Dawn. It was the most terrible ending ever.. and just dragged on a little.. too.. long.  

Empress Raven Vulcana

Ismira87

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:42 pm
Day: 1 Contest: 10

I have never been able to finish Pride and Prejudice. It just couldn't capture me. I'm not a big fan of that style of writing though. Like I can't read Virginia Woolf either. She just kind of annoys me though...  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:23 am

I didn't like A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry, although The Giver was nice. The place reminded me of Camazotz in a Wrinkle in Time, which I also didn't like for the same reasons.
It's kinda hackneyed (cliched and predictable) not to mention kind of dull. In AStD, it was so obvious Molly was going to die.

xXKristahliaXx

Ellema

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 am
I believe that life is too short to read books that you hate. I once read an article urging readers to consider the number of books that they will not read just because nobody can live long enough to read every single book. I don't recommend such line of thinking though! It's too depressing.

However, I did make it to the end of my least favorite book ever: Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. It's boring, irritating, self-righteous and worst of all so excruciatingly long. I only finished it because it was a requirement for class (but even then, it wasn't worth the pain!).  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff