Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Silmarillion: A Group Reading [update 4.12.05] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SYFFER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:08 pm
passionate? xd well for a passionate guy he sure is a loonatic  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm
OF THE SINDAR

*continues commenting as he reads*

During the Battle of the Powers, Beleriand was destroyed. Badly. But everything started regrowing rather quickly; quicker than anywhere else, at least. Why, you ask? Because the Valar walked there. I suppose they have magical footsteps or something. :/

The Sindar met the Petty-dwarves before they met the Not-petty-dwarves. The Petty-dwarves weren't the brightest books on the bookshelf, so they attacked the Elves, never bothering to attempt communication. Thinking that these strange two footed creatures were merely animals (and the Dwarves certainly didn't bother correcting them), the Elves hunted the Petty-dwarves for the entire first age of Melkor's Chains. It wasn't until the Naugrim showed up that the Sindar said 'Oh, s**t...' and left the Petty-dwarves alone.

Gondolin used to be my favorite place in Middle-earth, ever. Recently, however, as my opinion of Thingol has become a bit higher, I'm thinking that Menegroth is a bit cooler. A shame Thingol was so blatantly anti-Edain.

The Naugrim hate the Sea. Amazing how I kept missing that during my readings of the Sil, and only noticed as I thumbed through Morgy's Ring.

It may interest some of you to know that though it was Morgoth who concieved the Orcs, it was actually Sauron who did the breeding.

The Sindar are the Axe-elves.

Amon Ereb is where Denethor, last lord of the Laiquendi, died. Amon Ereb is also where the Feanorians take refuge when Morgoth raids Beleriand and takes Himring after the Year of Lamentation.  

Falathrim

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:39 pm
OF THE SUN AND MOON AND THE HIDING OF VALINOR

Ah, the raising of the Sun and the Moon. One of the very few things the Valar did to aid the Noldor, Sindar, and Edain in their unceasing wars against the Black Foe. Wait, what's this? Tolkien rejected this? So now the Valar did nothing to aid the Free Peoples of Middle-earth?

...asses.

The Sun had always existed. Early on, Varda set into the Sun the Light of 'Aman'; and Aman is in quotes because this happened before Aman even existed. When the Two Trees blossomed, it was with the Light of the Sun that they shone. But Morgoth assailed the Sun, seeking control over it's light. The Maia that abode there, Arien, rejected his offer to be his spouse.

This is where the HOT MORGOTH SEX comes in. Poor Arien. The entire episode traumatized the poor Maia so much that Eru actually offered her released from Ea; the only Ainu to return to Eru from the universe. Melkor, through his... sexual behavior, marred the Sun, so that the Unmarred Light of the Sun existed only in the Two Trees.

As for the moon, that was created by Manwe and Aule at some point. Melkor attacked and took a hold of it, driving the Maia Tilion out. Tilion eventually returned, after the chaining of Melkor. But Melkor held the Moon at some point, and so it was marred.

Okay. Hiding of Valinor. Asses. Early on, Tolkien regarded this as BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER. Sadly, he grew a bit more sympathetic towards the Valar late in life...

I like how Aman becomes more militaristic at this point. Hah. What a paradise... stare

Narsilion :: The Song of the Sun and the Moon

Lo! Twas a sad day, that Melkor did slay
Those Two beautiful Trees of Valinor whom
All did love and cherish, for they of utmost
Beauty and their Light was as a symbol of all
Things that were Good in this wide World.

Lo! When those Two Trees did die did the
Valier Nienna and Yavanna weep for them
And all that they had once shared with the
Peoples of Aman. And out of their sorrow
Did come one last fruit and one final flower.

Lo! The Valar then created two majestic ships
And set into them the last remnants of their
Bliss. Arien did they appoint to guide the fruit,
With Tilion manning the ship of the Flower. And
they did launch into the skies, and their were tears.

Lo! Tilion who was the Moon did rise first, and
He looked unto the lands in the East with joy,
And Morgoth was afrai-

On second thought, screw the Noldor, the Sun's been here forever. ~ Manwe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:15 pm
OF MEN

YAY! Men have awaken! YAY!

GLORY TO THE NUMENOREANS!

The Westernesse shall rise again!

OF MEN
The Valar sat now behind their mountains in peace; and having [not] given light to Middle-earth they left it for long untended, and the lordship of Morgoth was uncontested save by the valour of the Noldor. Most in mind Ulmo kept the exiles, who gathered news of the Earth through all the waters.

By the way, Ulmo acted in secret, not daring to tell Manwe he was giving aid to the exiles. Look who's rebelling now! Wouldn't it have been so much easier to rebel before all hell broke loose?

Ah, the Awakening of the Atani at the rising of the Sun. Except, you know, this doens't work, what with Tolkien rejecting the Tale of the Sun and the Moon. So, how did it work, Falathrim?

The Atani woke nearly 6000 years prior to the Hiding of Valinor. In this time, Middle-earth was basically being flooded. Rain, rain, rain as far as the eyes can see. It was through this rain that the Eldar marched West. It was amidst this rain that the Fathers of Men awoke... on an island in the far east. And it rained. And it rained. And it rained. And none came to them. There was no Vala to teach them words. NOTHING.

You know, considering how depressing our birth on this world was, I'd say that we did pretty good.

NAMES THE ELDAR GAVE US (bad names in red, inapplicable names in grey):
- Atani :: Second People
- Hildor :: Followers
- Apanona :: Afterborn
- Engwar :: Sickly
- Firimar :: Mortals
- Usurpers
- Strangers
- Inscurptables
- Self-cursed
- Heavy-handed
- Night-fearers
- Children of the Sun

...asses.  

Falathrim

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:32 pm
OF NOT BEING A READING BUT I THOUGH I'D POST IT ANYWAY

I have an old summary of Myths Transformed lying around, it seems. It's been... awhile... since I read it, and quite frankly I think my summary seems a bit off in a few parts, but I thought you guys would like to see it anyway. Comments I made at this instant for your sake (and kind of mine) are in the blue text. Duh.

- THE MUSIC OF THE AINUR

- The Valar descend into Arda and begin to order it.

- Melkor follows Manwe to Arda
Well, this certainly messes with that Tom Bombadil Can't Be An Ainu argument, doesn't it?

- FIRST BATTLE: Tulkas descends into Arda and throws out Melkor.

- Varda ignites the Sun with her 'special' Light, and creates the Great Stars.
The Great Stars are the stars of the important constellations.

- Valinor is established.
And what with the Lamps being rejected, I cannot at all remember why the Valar fled Middle-earth.

- The Two Trees are kindled under the Dome of Varda.

- Melkor assaults the sun. HOT MORGOTH SEX. He is marred. Arien is released from Ea in anguish. Melkor flees Arda.

- During the winters, Melkor returns to Arda and attacks... stuff...

- Manwe, Varda, and Aule create the Moon to fend off Melkor.

- Melkor leaves Arda AGAIN and gathers allies.

- Melkor attacks the Moon and drives out Tilion.

- The Valar take Moon back
This may have occurred much later. In fact, I'm certain this doesn't belong here. I'll need to fix this.

- Foundations of Utumno and Angband are set.

- The Valar are driven from Middle-earth.
Meaning that though they dwelt in Valinor, Melkor is now so strong that they are now unable to come to Middle-earth AT ALL.

- Realizing that soon, the Elves will awaken, Melkor enshrouds the earth in black mists.

- Elves awaken.

- The great winds of Manwe drives the Veil of Melkor away. The Elves behold for a moment the Stars, hence their cry of "El!"

- Melkor closes the Veil again. His Mists approached from the East, thus, the Elves have always revered the West.

- Orome finds the Elves.

- THIRD BATTLE: The Valar capture Morgoth. The Veil disperses as a great rain.
I think I missed the Second Battle... I suppose that would be the entire Moon ordeal.

- The Elves march through the rains to Valinor.

- During the Great Journey, Men awaken on a great isle amid the floods.

- Men leave Hildorien?
How does Morgoth poison them against Eru later? Tolkien was probably going to alter the chronology, but didn't get to it...

- Morgoth nearly repents, but does not, and becomes more wicked. Manwe thus takes him to Valinor out of fear and desire to control.
Now this here is odd. Firstly, Morgoth alone of the Valar are supposed to be capable of fear. Secondly, a deisre to control seems out of character for Manwe. Yeah, I like slamming the guy, but... I guess Tolkien altered his character at this point.

- The Council of the Valar declare that Melkor must be chained; he almost attacks in rage, but cannot.
Praise to my vaguely written notes!
From this point on, the Mythology is for the most part as written in the published Silmarillion.

- The Three Ages of Melkor's Chains.

- Melkor and Ungoliant destroy the Two Trees. The Dome of Varda is thrust down. Flight of the Noldor

- War of the Jewels.

- Morgoth is captured and executed, his soul is thrust from Ea.

- The Fading of the Elves.

- Sauron is overthrown thrice.

- The Dominion of Men

- Morgoth rebuilds his body and returns to Ea?
Self-inserted in an attempt to make the Dagor Dagorath somewhat possible. So I like Turin. Shaddup.

- Arda Healed

- Arda Complete  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 pm
Oh, Falathrim. So sarcastic and bitter. I love it. xd

On with my lazy-assed comments (my apologies in advance for their questionable quality):

Of the Sindar
The Sindar were doing pretty well for themselves in Middle-earth. Thingol especially. Damn, he was like a... King... or... something...

One thought I had about this bit:
Quote:
And ere long the evil creatures came even to Beleriand... Wolves... fell beings of shadow... [and] Orcs. Whence they came, or what they were, the Elves knew not then, thinking them perhaps to be Avari who had become evil and savage in the wild; in which they guessed all too near, it is said.

Yeah, I knew about the origins of the Orcs before, but I didn't think about it. Wouldn't it be freakier if the twisted, evil thing attacking your home was recognizable as semi-human (or Elf, in this case)? Like Zombies or something, only not undead. Ugh. Anyway...

Yay the First Battle!

Of the Sun and Moon
So I was perusing Morgy's Ring:
Quote:
The Sun existed as part of the Kingdom of Arda. In so far as there was darkness (and diminishment of growth in Arda consequently) when the Valar removed to Aman it was due to obscurations [now that's one very sexy word] devised by Melkor: clouds and smokes (a volcanic era!).

Um. Weren't there stars? I don't understand. I guess this sort of throws off the story in the Sil, so I should probably finish reading Morgy's Ring and I'll get the changes, right?

Comments on the actual Sil chapter:
Sun and moon stuff is kind of boring, so I'm gonna skip comments on it.

Ooh, Enchanted Islands. Those are pretty popular things to have. There are some in the Narnia books, and probably some in the Odyssey... and maybe somewhere else... If I wanted to protect my island kingdom from intruders, that's how I'd do it.

I heartily approve.

Of Men
Self-cursed? Heavy-handed? Sickly? Uh... right. I bet those are the Elvish equivalents of "Bed-wetters" and "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eaters". Heh.

Falathrim
The Atani woke nearly 6000 years prior to the Hiding of Valinor. In this time, Middle-earth was basically being flooded. Rain, rain, rain as far as the eyes can see. It was through this rain that the Eldar marched West. It was amidst this rain that the Fathers of Men awoke... on an island in the far east. And it rained. And it rained. And it rained. And none came to them. There was no Vala to teach them words. NOTHING.

Maybe I'm strange... but if you ignore how awful it'd be to actually live like that, it's a much more romantic and grandiose beginning than the other one. You know, the first Men heroically and resiliently clawing their way to some sort of life and culture against all hope and odds. Sorta brings a tear to your eye.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:27 pm
I feed off of the sarcasm and bitterness and others, then expel it after it festers and multiplies within my bowels.

Oh, I do like the revised version of our awakening, and for the same reasons you just listed. I'm thinking that if Tolkien had ever willed it, and written a few actual stories regarding the early days of the Atani, they would have been amongst my favorites.

Stars existed, yes, but their nature in the transformed Mythology is a bit vague, so far as I can tell. I'm thinking that the stars were something that existed outside Arda, which makes Varda's kindling of the stars that much more impressive. If I'm right, which I very well may not be.

Arda :: Solar System  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:37 pm
The Sun is the only star in our solar system...

But they could see the stars, right? How did Melkor obscurate the sun but not the stars? I must be missing something. Possibly sleep.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:00 pm
Ummm. *goes to reread the passage you quoted*

Morgy's Ring
The Sun existed as part of the Kingdom of Arda. In so far as there was darkness (and diminishment of growth in Arda consequently) when the Valar removed to Aman it was due to obscurations [now that's one very sexy word] devised by Melkor: clouds and smokes (a volcanic era!).

Melkor covered the earth (which is only one part of Arda) in clouds and smoke; I referred to this as a veil in my summary above. As far as I recall, this blocked out the Sun and the stars. Manwe sent forth a wind to push the veil back; in this instant the Eldar beheld the stars, for it was nighttime. But, soon, Melkor pushed the veil back, and once more all was darkness.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:36 pm
Nimbrethil
Self-cursed? Heavy-handed? Sickly? Uh... right. I bet those are the Elvish equivalents of "Bed-wetters" and "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eaters". Heh.

I am amused! xd

That had to have been the longest it's ever taken me to read THREE chapters in the Sil! It takes me less time to read Of Beleriand and its Realms dang nabit! I was working on it for at least two hours!

It's not that I'm slow, I just a had a ginormous amount of interuptions. Though during one interuption I got my Mommy to read some of it outl oud (she was mocking my slowness so I thought I'd laugh when she read it slower than me... I'm not slow, just distracted!) and she got stuck on nearly every other word and eventually tossed the book at me and said "Ah s**t" lol

Moving on...

I liked reading all the million names of races and stuff. I'm sorry, I all out giggled when I read "Naugrim, the Stunted People". THAT is funny! *shurgs* Maybe it's just me...

Hmmm let's see what other thoughts went through my mind. When some of the Elves moved to Ossiriand I was like "OMG! I know where that is!" and yeah... just a stupid moment I guess. I liked reading about the sun and the moon. Nothing I've not heard before but it still paints some pretty pictures... did I read somewhere that the sun rose in the west? Or have I just lost my marbles again? GEORGE!

Nimbrethil, I loved your comment on the islands! Made me laugh! I'd probably try and get through them and start cursing them though or else I'd get some for my room.... Who wouldn't want enchanted islands around their room?

Aaaaand I guess that's all I have to say. Mainly because nearly my only thought when reading Of Men was "almost done!"  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:43 pm
So three people read this week! WOW!

People who read but don't bother participating in discussions are useless and thus are not counted in my tally.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:53 pm
I was going to post an hour ago, but my mom kicked me off the computer.

Of the Sindar

Could the Eldar and Dwarves have spoken even if they wanted to?

Of the Sindar
But they could understand no word of the tongue of the Naugrim, which to their ears was cumbrous and unlovely.

The Dwarves actually tried to communicate by learning the Elvish-tongue, but they never taught their own language, so that brought them back to square one.

If both cultures had not been so stubborn to each other and spread the language love, would any anxiety between the two never have happened, or would it have been different.

I don't think any of what I wrote made any sense. It's probably best to ignore it, and maybe it will go away.

Of the Sun and the Moon and the hiding of Valinor

The Valar won't attack Morgoth in Middle-earth, because why?
Would it cause mass destruction and chaos?

So they decide to fortify their land to protect themselves.
Are not the Valar the ones who could stand a chance against Morgy?
They decide they are too good to assail him and leave it up to the inhabitants of Arda.

Wow, I can see why you hate them so Fala.

Of Men

Yay men.

I like the men and have no questions about them. Yet.

Wait, yes I do.

Nope never mind I figured it out.  

Kementari

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:57 pm
*realizes that we need to read Of Beleriand and Itapostrophes Realms for next week*

*sobs*

YAY a new Valar despiser YAY!

*gives Kementari miruvoir*  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:21 pm
I don't think I'm going to read Of Beleriand and Its Realms... I've always hated that chapter... but then again I might. I didn't know the almighty Falathrim when I last read it. xd  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Elainya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:24 pm
Of the Sindar
I still read it. I just haven't posted. Yet.

My favorite house (Town...mansion...how many people live there any way?) thus far in Tolkien's world is Menegroth. I mean, he even went and said it was the most glorious. I find the Naugrim amusing though.

Naugrim:"No! We won't help you!"

Cirdan shows them a pearl.

Naugrim:"Where's my stone cutter!?"

Of the Sun, moon, and the Valar being chicken:

I didn't really understand this chapter, well, aside from Tirion and Arien steering the sun and moon though.

So, I have a question that probably won't get answered. Did Tirion and Arien actually run the parts of the trees around on the ground all day long, (Or night long, or whatever) or were they actually in the sky? *Is a bit confussled.*

The other part I didn't get is where the Valar went. Sure, they went East, and I thought they were gone for good, but then Ulmo came back to help the Noldor. Huh? *Is still confussled*

Of Men:

Poor Men. T,T Getting called all these names. Stupid Melkor for spreading rumors about them. Nothing good ever comes to Men >,<  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff