Characterization most butchered Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ririnri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:42 pm
*stretches!*

Okay! This is an interesting topic, and I may (in fact, I probably will) repeat some things mentioned here.

On a kneejerk reaction, I think I would say that Faramir was butchered most. I'm sure they have their reasons for changing the character but... beh... the relationship between him, his brother and his father muchly reminds me of my own family... so seeing him doing out of bookly character things kinda hurt.

On a deeper consideration, I think most of the other characters have little nuances that cause me to cringe, just a litte. Legolas, for example, seemed way too young in the movies. Granted, I suppose that's hard to portray visually, but he just seemed... older... and maybe a little more lighthearted. Also, Frodo's role in RoTK, namely with the casting away of Sam (which, by the way, made me CRY >.>) was extremely out of character.

*ponder* I feel like I'm repeating myself. Or not adding anything new. Oh well. Putting LoTR on screen is a daunting task; not everything is going to be perfect.

(I really wish they had put in the Scourging of The Shire. Even if it would've put on an extra hour to the movie >.>)  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:49 pm
I agree, the Scouring of the Shire would have been well worth however much time it took up. I think the biggest problem with the transition from book to film was the moviemakers' need to add things. Most of the problems I have with characterization and anything else in the films came from places where they added things. Examples: Faramir going to Osgiliath, Frodo sending Sam away, Haldir dying, Arwen... being Arwen. I just liked Arwen a whole lot better in the books.

Oh, and that elf-dwarf drinking contest. What was the point of that?  

Isildo

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:55 pm
Scouring of the Shire really should have been in there. There were other points that also needed a bit more explanation for those hadn't read the books. After seeing RotK, all my friends started asking where Frodo and Gandalf went on the ship and why.

The drinking contest was so pointless. And I still think Gimli would have won.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:46 pm
Gimli should have won for a number of reasons.

1) He's a dwarf, and dwarves drink more.

2) He was already enough of a clown in the movie, there was no call to go making him into a drunk clown.

3) I would kill to see what Legolas acts like drunk.  

Isildo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:59 am
In defence of Legolas, he is an elf, much older thus longer time to build stamina for alcohol. Mirkwood was also reknown for their wine, (Dorwinion ><). As prince of Mirkwood, I'm sure he would be well aquainted with the potent wine that filled his father's feasts.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:53 am
Hmm. I forgot about the Mirkwood wine. It's been a while since I've read Lord of the Rings, and in the films it seemed like Legolas hardly knew what alcohol was.

I still wanna see him drunk. razz  

Isildo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
Haha, he did look a bit confused...must have been over the quality and the brashness of said dwarf and men. Although, hadn't Legalos been in the company of men for some time? Surely he had gotten use to their ways. I find it hard to believe that the scene in Rohan was his first times seeing and participating in a drinking game.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:41 pm
I don't think the filmmakers were thinking about it all that much... I think they just wanted a funny scene. Grr on the filmmakers.  

Isildo

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 am
Am I the only one who was annoyed at Cate Blanchett's slightly stoned depiction of Galadriel?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:18 pm
Really? I like Cate Blanchett's style through. She's very regal, yet not too overpowering...I think thats the idea. She didn't what to be to overpower Celeborn...or were you referring to her response to the one ring...  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:11 am
No, I was referring to her vacant, wide-eyed stare as she addresses everyone while gazing distantly at a point somewhere above and behind them, as well as her slow, somewhat weirdly lilting voice and the odd cadence, rhythm and intonation of her speech that makes her seem like she's speaking a foreign language in which she only has technical proficiency. She reminded me a bit of Drusilla from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only Drusilla's dark-haired and wears red and black... I kept expecting her to come out with some sort of bizarre non sequitur, like "That's not at all a fitting gift for our newborn grandmum" or "Everything in my head is singing!"

Also, yeah, she overpowered Celeborn. I don't even remember the guy. He was totally overwhelmed by Galadriel. When they first appear, she's all glowy and sparkly, and he's just... blond and robed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 am
Yes well...she's suppose to be telepathic. I'm sure she was just focusing on other things...or trying to portray that.

What language is native to Galadriel? Would she have spoken common tongue often? Elves were supposed to be secluded right?  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm
Sindarin, I suppose... but still! She talked really funny, like she was on crack or something.

Plus, she went green when Frodo tried to give her the Ring.

Also, her dress seems to glow.

AND SHE MISPRONOUNCED EARENDIL! scream scream scream scream scream  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 pm
Hahah yeah I know....I always get mixed up now cos thats how I always hear it....I'm sure she was just trying to get into the character. Its not like they would have high elven lady classes in acting school.....not to mention how powerful she was....  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:44 am
I hereby pronounce Cate Blanchett to be the Stoned Green Elf Lady in the Glowy Dress.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff