Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Discrimination Against Chinese Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are Americans Nasty?
  All Americans are Nasty
  Most of Americans are Nasty
  Some Americans are Nasty
  None of Americans are Nasty
View Results

Tokioka

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:42 pm
It's not really the racism thing, as the white man doesn't distinguish between BBCs and FOBs when it comes to ethnic minorities. Nope, I just mean the whole confused identity thing. To be honest, us BBCs really are bananas. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. And I really find it so annoying when it comes to fitting in socially. It's as if the english won't fully accept us cos although we talk about the same stuff, we're still a different colour. Whereas the chinese, both HK and mainlanders won't accept us either because we speak the wrong dialect, we can't speak the language fluently or because we just don't have much in common. It's like we're stuck in the middle and the only ones who fully understand us are other fellow BBCs.
Anyone else feel this way?

@Niph: Didn't you come over to england when your were 4 yrs old or something? Or am I just getting senile? =.=  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:00 am
Niphz
Well, at our school the situation is a bit odd - a large chunk of the year is made up of Chinese//HKnese boarders [I go to an English girls' boarding school although I'm not a boarder, if that makes sense] and so one often feels a massive divide in the year.. and it's v annoying when the Cantonese girls all speak canto to each other and we don't understand.. the English girls do complain about feeling left out sometimes.

The English girls feel left out? I'd expected the other way round, maybe because it's an English school; but well, my assumption is apparently wrong. Anyway, I wanted to know: are the Cantonese girls good at English? If they're not, it's quite understandable that they stick to their native language, though it would be better if they didn't.  

xx_mizuki

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:20 pm
@ Tokioka : oh.. i see. well i live in America and when i go to HK people are pretty nice to me. i seem to fit in.. @ least i think so.

i dont speak Canto fluently either.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:37 pm
[Bab! Co.]
Not many people in Canada, well, where I am, likes Hongers/people born in China. Reason is because they don't like our english (they make fun of it), and we spend so much time on hair in the washrooms. XD Also, they think we're spoiled. -_-" But the asians born Canada and are quite white-wash, they have no problem with them.

Hah, I can believe that white-washed thing, though.. well in my case it does apply to me, because where I live, there are like.. NO asians! AT ALL! My first asian friends were exchange students from Hong Kong, and I met them last year (Grade. 10). lots of asians are in Vancouver and you know, those big capital cities, like Victoria and Toronto emo *sighs* My mom said I was like a white girl, b/c I always got creeped out like the waitresses that worked at my parent's resturaunt did when they saw "weird" chinese stuff like chicken feet! I don't like chicken feet and other weird appendages removed from animals, so my mom said I was like a pansy white girl sweatdrop

Hmm that's sad, glad you got away from sucha bad person.. When I was a kid, I remembered being called "China-Man" a lot by these First Nation's kids, but I wasn't really hurt by it, b/c I never really knew what racismn (hah can't even spell it) was. No one was really around to teach me things, so when I saw those kids calling me that and not letting me play soccer and stuff I never thought it was b/c I was Chinese. I thought in my head "No, how can someone hate someone because of their race?? That's just dumb, and I don't think people are that stupid!!" haha Obviously, most of my naivete has diminished and I don't have such high opinions of people and their intelligence wink I hate people! Well, stupid people anyways<< that's my story sweatdrop

hip2b^2

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:46 am
@Toki - Yes, I did, but it feels the same. Not really any different.

And it's exactly as Toki says.. you never really know which culture you're supposed to be part of.

@mizuki - Well.. there's just a sort of massive line dividing the year, and the few of us living on the edge of the line feel weird.. okay maybe the English girls don't feel left out as such but they do resent all the Cantonese-speaking.. and the canto girls, their English is really good.. & the whole point is to LEARN it anyway isn't it?! xP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 am
@Eden I got looks when I applied to a job at a Cafe. Maybe we just look too different and weird to them. I bet if a person the west came to Asia, he will get looks, too.

@Tokioka I feel this way, too. I came to America when I was 15. Now I can speak, read and write English ok, but my Chinese is going down hill. I just can't remember how to write some of the Chinese words sweatdrop

@Hip You might get creeped out by looking at these parts from animals, but if you actually taste them you will like them.
When I was in China, I had heard and learned in my history class the infamous racism in the west. I didn't really understand it until I came to the U.S. Many people with high intelligence are also racists, so racism is not based upon low intelligence.

One day God will judge and punish all racists. evil It is a long wait, but the time is coming.  

Etaf Evael

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:06 am
yes. =]  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:35 am
Yes what?  

Etaf Evael

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22 am
to what you say about God coming soon. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:52 am
Yes, the Son of God Jesus will come back to earth. God will judge all mankind.  

Etaf Evael

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:20 pm
yeesh. =] i cant wait!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:09 pm
Quote:

@Eden I got looks when I applied to a job at a Cafe. Maybe we just look too different and weird to them. I bet if a person the west came to Asia, he will get looks, too.

true. If you are not in a city like Shanghai I heard the Chinese give you quite some looks. A friend of mine told, when he tried to ask for a root, people just ignored him and went away.

On of the students here was visiting some rural place with a friend. That was a blond girl, bright skin, blue eyes - once children ran away from here screaming that she was a devil. But if they never saw that before, that's quite understandable ^^  

Matyy

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm
Can we keep religion out of it, please? neutral

Since I think we should make the racists realise that it's wrong now, in this life, as we don't know whether there's a 'God' or not. I mean, relying on the judgement of some higher authority doesn't solve the problem of racists in our society right now, does it? neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm
@Matyy lol the children part is funny, and very understandable.
People ignored him and went away probably because they are freaked out by his spoken language, look, and what he asked for.

@Niphz There are countless proofs that God exists, but if you want to keep Him out that's fine.  

Etaf Evael

Tokioka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:24 pm
Yeh that's right, take your god back where he belongs, in your church. D<

Don't be spewing your christian message here cos I, for one, am offended.

Just next time please be more considerate of other's beliefs before making such brash statements. 3nodding  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff