Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kage no Gensou; A Yuugiou((Yugioh)) Guild

Back to Guilds

A friendly guild for any and all types of Yuugiou: Duel Monsters fans. 

Tags: Yuugiou, Yugioh, Duel Monsters, Anime, Manga 

Reply General Discussion
YGO the Abridged Series Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitsune Ketz Kwineight
Captain

Tricky Shapeshifter

19,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:48 pm
Yay, congratulations!

Well I'm glad you liked it; makes sense based on what you said you didn't like about the first two Iron Man movies. Tony was a lot more flawed and developed in it. I had mixed feelings though. I felt like Iron Man 3 was a great movie with a bunch of turds floating in it. The plot was decent, Tony's characterization was great, action scenes were great, acting was great, CGI was great, and the part where Tony's in the small town with the little boy easily made the movie... but then I wanted to slap Pepper the entire movie, even though I quite like her in the first two. Though the plot itself was solid, it was not clearly layed out or connected scene-by-scene. I felt lost a few times; it's not that the plot itself was confusing, it was just presented in a confusing, disjointed way. I was embarrassed with what they did to the Mandarin. The character development for anyone besides Tony, Rhodey, and the little boy was negligible, even though it had other main characters.

But of course the worst part to me was the ending. It was completely unnecessary to have Pepper defeat the big bad. Tony 'defeating' him was perfectly right and satisfying. It's not that I feel she shouldn't have because of her secondary role, but because it had already been perfectly accomplished before she stepped in, plus Pepper is just not a fighter by any means. Just because she suddenly has superpowers does not make her a kung fu master or someone with a violent streak. I feel like she fell into the typical Hollywood trope of, 'you can only be a strong female character if you're kicking a**.' She didn't need to kick a**. Black Widow does that perfectly well on her own. And because they had the a**-kicking moment to fulfill their strong female character quota, that allowed them to make her whiny and bitchy the rest of the movie. What kind of girlfriend just lets her boyfriend spiral into PTSD fits of obsession without even once telling him to get help, then bitches when he panics from a nightmare and doesn't spend enough time with her? Pepper's dealt with crap from Tony swimmingly the rest of the series, but suddenly when his crap is intense and serious instead of selfish, she's mad at him? Tony's no saint either, but Pepper is supposed to be the 'kind, responsible' character, not the needy girlfriend.

I only felt she was really justified in her anger when Tony gave their address away, which by the way, also was a moment that felt disjointed and not fully explained. And the final turd was the magical cures for both Pepper and Tony at the end of the movie. Pepper's was explainable, but it would've been way more interesting if they left if in the air and maybe brought it into a future fourth movie. And if there's no fourth movie? All they gotta do is make Tony certain he'll find a cure eventually, so it's still left on a hopeful note. And as for Tony, well... the first two movies really put me under the impression that he would die if anyone tried to remove that shrapnel. Like it was medically impossible to do it safely. Then suddenly he just decides to up and have surgery? That fixes his problems? The problem he solved two movies ago? What about the PTSD problems? I don't think surgery's gonna fix that. And his line about him getting help perfectly segued into him seeing a psychologist or whatever, something that prideful movie Tony would have a really difficult time doing, yet also something that seemed possible after all he had been through in the third... so yeah, that rant ended up a lot longer than I intended. Sorry about that.

Agreed. It's one thing that these people get paid quite large amounts of money to be politicians. It's another that they get to influence laws that could benefit them in some way. But to vote up their own salaries? That's just getting ridiculous.

Haha, yay, the Unfunded Americans Club!

Evolution is quite strange, and yeah, it's definitely not a good idea to use that to define X-Men characters. Haha, I'm afraid I have to disagree; though Evolution Nightcrawler was still my favorite Evolution character, he is my least favorite incarnation of Nightcrawler, except maybe the movie and Ultimate ones. He's adorable and dorky but... I just love the absolute kindness and maturity of other Nightcrawlers. Evolution Nightcrawler was kind, but also selfish in other ways, and definitely not mature. Plus he always looked/sounded more Asian than German to me. XD Oh, you definitely need to watch Wolverine and the X-Men. It's only twenty-six episodes, on Netflix, and by far the best X-Men cartoon in my opinion. Nightcrawler also gets more episodes about him than any other character besides Wolverine. And he has the most adorable hairstyle in it. He's my favorite non-comic Nightcrawler, definitely. Kitty is interesting in that she's portrayed pretty consistently in the cartoons, but is actually fairly different in the comics. She starts out as the annoying, cutesy youngest member of the X-Men, always sneaking on missions when they say she's too young, but she gets older and matures really well, and becomes the strong, independent every girl. She's really easy to relate to, and never lets her problems and crazy situations bring her down or cause her to make stupid decisions. She is a little more girly and normal than a lot of the X-Men, so the cartoons tend to exemplify that and turn her into a Valley Girl, but she's really not that bad. But anyway, Rogue goes up and down in my opinion depending on who's writing for her. Right now I am not a fan because she is on a team with Scarlet Witch and is being a complete b***h to her and walking all over her. Oh, and apparently now there are legal battles coming up because X-Men Days of Future Past suddenly picked out an actor for Quicksilver out of nowhere. People are saying they were just trying to get the rights for him away from Avengers, because he's only supposed to be in one little scene for X-Men. I wish they could just share, but if not, I'd definitely prefer him in Avengers, because Scarlet Witch is there too and they're supposed to be major characters.  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm
My bf was okay with the Mandarin thing following Into Darkness b/c it was at least a change. Whereas Star Trek 'changed things up' by basically inserting one characters lines in another mouth and not actually doing anything new this was at least a change. However he's not very familiar with the comics and of course I am not at all familiar with them, so there was nothing too much to upset me. I've always felt so-so about Pepper although I totally agree with you about the end. I was like, wait did we just see Pepper defeat the bad guy, b/c that is what happened yes? And I was like, is Pepper a superhero that wasn't revealed yet (b/c I didn't know of that being the case) and even so, this is Iron Man, that really seems not okay. The movie then ignored that happened so I let it go but yea, I thought that was definitely 'some move' and while I don't know that I hated it I definitely did not like it. They immediately 'fixed' her so it did seem completely pointless to have gone there in the first place. But in terms of the complaints about Pepper I again still have always felt mostly indifference to her. She's that girl that 'changes' the bad guy and it's not something I've ever gone for. As for his surgery it seemed pointless but didn't particularly bother me. Just accepted he 'figured out how to finally do it' and moved on. So yea there were some continuity issues and some 'that was pointless' issues for me as well. On the whole though I felt I cared more about characters and things that were happening more than in the other films. And while I'm not generally an action fan, more action means less time spent wondering if I care. Because a lot of why I could not get into the first Iron Man (I could probably enjoy it more as a retrospect movie, but I could never deny it couldn't do this for me on its own in a first watch) is there was just a long bout of I don't care about Tony, and getting through this first half of the movie really requires that I care. And I did not. But yay rants! I can't argue with those.

Yay club indeed. Got an email today though about teach positions for next year and now I'm on pins and needles hoping I can get one. I need this on my CV, it makes me more competitive going into the job market and with the desperation to pay back loans I need to be competitive. Also, teaching pays very well, I'd probably only have an average of 6 hours a week, but it pays £30 ($45) an hour, which means I could definitely cover cost of living and start saving a bit. Mostly though I just really really want to teach. This is the PhD job I've wanted from the beginning though I know it's a bit harder (more competitive) in the UK b/c there is less tuition (contact hours) for Arts students here, meaning less for PhDs to do with undergrads. However, I'll feel so much better about the funding situation if I can at least get this. Emailing all the module convenors to ask about their modules and really find out as much as I can/make myself the best candidate I can. So fingers crossed.

I'm a terrible person who likes a mature side in characters, but probably tends to often love inherently selfish characters, which is probably what endears him to me in Evo more than anywhere else. Knowing that Nightcrawler would be in Wolverine and the X-men was entirely why I wanted to watch that cartoon. smile Knowing it's short and now knowing he's very prominent I'm definitely going to have to make it a priority to see this when I have a bit more time. I hope the legal battles can be settled in ways that don't have to screw over the films. I hate that studios are able to 'own rights' to franchises/characters, especially when there is almost never any creative right on the part of the studio to what they are owning. Just one of the many ways the movie business keeps hurting the movie business, and why I really hate supporting that said business anymore.  

JuokasKurvas
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Kitsune Ketz Kwineight
Captain

Tricky Shapeshifter

19,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:24 pm
I was somewhat okay with the Mandarin thing, mostly because I was never a fan of the Mandarin, but at the same time, knowing how he normally is, it is still quite embarrassing how he turned out. Mandarin is supposed to be Iron Man's ultra main villain, and is supposed to be very powerful, using ten magical rings. I was okay with making him a terrorist instead of a sorcerer, because it fits better into the more realistic Iron Man movies, but I can definitely see why Mandarin fans are upset. If someone made my favorite villain that pathetic after taking away his powers, I'd be upset too. Haven't seen Into Darkness, and probably won't in theaters. I really did not care for the previous Star Trek movie, so was not eager for this one.

And Pepper actually is a super hero in comics... kind of. Tony eventually builds her a suit, but it has no attack capabilities, per Pepper's request. It is only used to save people, and her superhero name is Rescue. Another reason why it seemed really strange to have her suddenly kicking a**; she's completely anti-violence. And I generally don't care for the girl that changes the bad boy either, but I also don't feel Pepper had much of an effect on Tony. I feel like he was way more changed by getting captured by terrorists, losing the one man that helped him there, nearly dying multiple times, and fighting with the Avengers. All those things made him a better person, and yes, Pepper definitely contributed, but in far more minor ways. So her presence as the lady in his life didn't bother me as much, at least until the third movie. But yes, I believe one of the biggest strengths of the third movie was how much easier it was to care about some of the characters. Although because I already really cared about Tony, the first half of the first movie is like my favorite part of the trilogy. XD

Oh wow, that sounds like a great opportunity, and I really hope it happens for you!

Haha that doesn't make you a terrible person. Everyone has character traits they like, both good and bad. It's boring to only like good or only like bad traits. Yes, make it a priority! Also, also, WatXM is the series that made Quicksilver Karma's favorite Marvel character (it used to be Magneto) because he's so awesome in it, and it also ships my favorite X-Man with my favorite Avenger canonically (Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch). Even though they don't have any form of attraction in the comics. XD They only got the couple because there's an alternate reality in comics where the two are married and have a daughter, but they hardly interact at all in the main continuity. Unfortunately though Nightcrawler is also one of the last X-Men to show up in the cartoon; I think he doesn't appear until like four or five episodes in, but then he gets a lot of episodes after that, I think three or four. Which is a lot considering the only other characters besides Wolverine to get their own episodes are Rogue, Cyclops, and Emma. Yeah, I hope both companies just let the other do their thing, since they technically both have rights to Quicksilver. And the 'owning' thing especially sucks with Marvel, since they auctioned all their franchises years ago when they were broke, so now only retain the rights to Avengers for movies (and I think Daredevil now too, since they haven't made a movie in so long).  
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 am
Yea I think if I was familiar with the Mandarin and he was a character I really liked I definitely would have been unhappy with the change. I think I can appreciate the innovation because I have no attachment to the source material. I love the 'kind of' after Pepper's superhero status. I don't feel like she's the girl that changes the bad boy either. I feel like in part he changed for her, and that's how someone should change, for their own personal reasons without demands on them. Part of me could see Pepper standing by Tony the playboy (though not so much after the third film, I feel like if he hadn't changed she'd be okay with that, but now that he has she doesn't want to put up with any old Tony). But even if she's not properly that role she feels like that role for me. Which is probably why I don't attach to her so much. She's more of Tony's girl than her own stand alone person for me. And yea even if her anti-violence isn't made as much of in the films I definitely did not feel the Pepper being a fighter (even if she seemed as shocked about it as the audience was) to be a necessary or good thing.

I hope I get it too, and I hope I can get it paid. I went to a Vice Chancellor review panel yesterday for PhD students to talk about our dept. Only 4 people went, a group of us who planned to go together. Which I feel is representative of some of the problems in our problem, but is also a bit problematic about lack of care shown by some students in our dept as well. The importance of everyone being able to teach came up though. One person suggested that we'd even be willing to teach if we were unpaid. And that's true, I want to teach and I cannot finish my PhD without teaching at my CV. However, that's a much harder thing to commit to. The two pushing that argument are both fully AHRC funded (there's tons of AHRC funding but it isn't open to non-EU international students) tuiton and fees candidates. So it's a lot easier for them to take on volunteer aspects of their degree. I mean it's really frustrating that not only do I have to fund my own education I could be repatedly penalised for not being funded. I'd either have to risk losing out on teaching opportunities if they did manage to make teaching more available by not teaching staff, or I'd have to teach for no money, find a paid job to cover bills and do a PhD full time. Which would be brutal and so so difficult. I didn't bring up that point in the meeting but I can still write a statement to the VC panel by mid-July so I think I will bring that up there. I'd love to just volunteer teach, but I'm in a more difficult situation than a lot of the PhDs who are either funded or at least paying home fees which are a third of what I have to pay.

Must watch WatXM! The bf has started watching Marvel cartoons (not sure which, I've been so busy and only have just run in and out of the room and he usually turns it off when I get home) so I'm thinking WatXM will be added when I have free time.  

JuokasKurvas
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Kitsune Ketz Kwineight
Captain

Tricky Shapeshifter

19,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:11 am
Exactly how I feel; it was amusing when the Mandarin thing first happened, but then I thought about it and realized how insulting it was for fans of him. Yeah, I don't think Pepper would put up with Tony going back to his old ways. At the very least she would just go back to working for him only and not be his girlfriend. And Pepper's reaction after her attack was just... ugh. It was vaguely amusing, but mostly just stupid. It made me think of those 'innocent' pinup girls that get their skirt caught on something by 'accident' and have it pull up, then put a hand to their mouth and purse their lips like they're just so shocked and confused by the situation. But no, they won't go ahead and fix their skirt, because they're too busy being innocently taken aback. So it made Pepper a vehicle for 'violence pinup,' then she got to remain 'innocent' by her stupid, unbelievable surprise.

Does sound really frustrating. I remember it always sucked extra a lot for people going to my school out of state, so I can't imagine how bad it must be out of country. You should definitely write that statement; the more people who know your situation, the better.

Yay, let me know when you do!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:40 pm
Rocking out to Leather Pants atm, wtf is my life? Just thought you'd like to know.

(Sorry for disappearing again, I spent the last god knows how long basically catatonic. But all fixed now!)

And all the Abridged stuff. It is a good series. Yahhh.

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

JuokasKurvas
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 am
A wild Morgey appears!

I'm surprised you've revived now when it's so hot. I'm from CA and I can't tolerate it, the British around me are dropping like flies! Hope other than heat all is good though.

I recently watched the newest abridged episode and now it's completely delorted from my mind, le fail. I'll maybe have to give it another watch to referesh my memory. I do remember agreeing that it is good and stuff. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:39 pm
Bwaha

Yes, this heat is horrible. It is not normal to be sweating at half eleven at night. >=[ And I can't sleep because it's just baking, and I think I think it's still day or something. I dunno. Roll on Autumn.

Things are okay, other than heat. I just finished sick leave, and uhh, cba to go back to work, but I'll live I guess. How are things for you?

Yeah, I been reminding myself lately of Abridged, and I still had to go back and check which it was. =p Errm... nah, I'm watching Alan Patridge atm and I'm not interrupting to go quote mining. Perhaps later.

Oh and if anyone has any tips on how to motivate yourself to write when you can't really be bothered, and can't write, I'd be grateful.

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

JuokasKurvas
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:33 am
Yea, I stay up late because it's too hot to go to bed, and wake up really early because of the sun/too much heat. I'm in theory getting a lot of work done but I think it is significantly lacking in quality.

I'm alright, trying to start working on research/writing relevant to my second thesis chapter, and spending most of July in Wales but have to be in Birmingham for a week because of the millions of things I agreed to do (one being finish up my job, so, fair enough). So busy, but not as busy as I was a few months ago. Plus sleeping less, so I have more free time. Definitely prefer to sleep less and still do work/have social life than to have either work or social life take a hit so I can sleep. Any PhD student who frequently has all three is full of lies!

If you like cats my friend swears by writtenkitten. If you just want to write/free flow and structure is not relevant or can be put in later it's cute. I need more structure for essay writing though and haven't had much creative writing time in awhile. Basically everytime you write 100 words it shows you a picture of a new cute kitten (though rarely, the kitten is ugly, and you must write 100 more words to make it go away. Or it gips you, and you have to then write 200 words to get a kitten. Generally it's 100 words cute kitten though). Generally though only deadlines really motivate me when I can't be bothered.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:26 pm
Aww, well I hope you don't get ill. Because I do when I don't have enough sleep, but I suppose if you're getting work done, you're okay?

Ooh Wales. Last time I visited it, I got to go in a cloud. That was weird. Although I was a kid,so I suppose it might have been a lie. Ooh, being a PhD doesn't sound fun. D: But it sounds like you've got it handled. I hope, aha. Good luck with the research and writing!

Writtenkitten sounds sweet. I've got everything basically written in my head, I'm just too lazy to put it on paper, so it sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I'm definitely a deadlines person myself. Otherwise it's too easy to fall into 'I want it to be the best I can make it, so I'll wait for myself to be all awesome before I do it'.

I was unmedicated, and then I was writing like a beast (and getting like tons of "DUDE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!?") because oh good God the bleedthrough, and now I am medicated, and I can't do s**t. >=[

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

JuokasKurvas
Vice Captain

Dangerous Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 pm
No sleep last night, but feeling better than yesterday and hoping to get some sleep tonight.

I've been in clouds when I've hiked tall mountains, so it's fully possible you were in a cloud. Guess it could have just been fog though.

PhDs are very much not fun, though sometimes they are rewarding and enjoyable. Mostly they make you want to kill yourself, but you can't imagine not doing it. Basically PhDs are for brilliant people and masochistic people, I unfortunately am probably the latter.

I'm the same way about deadlines. I'm trying to force myself more to 'just write' and I can fix it later, rather than wait for that magical inspired and awesome mood that might actually never come. It's slowly working, but this heat is conspiring against that plan.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 pm
Hiii Morgey!

That kitten thing sounds pretty awesome. I need one for drawing motivation instead though. For me I just keep thinking, "Oh, well I've got too many other things to do, so I'll really work on my drawing on a day I have fully off." but that never happens.

But yeah, get some sleep and don't be sick and get writing done people!  

Kitsune Ketz Kwineight
Captain

Tricky Shapeshifter

19,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 pm
JK: SLEEP WOMAN SLEEP

Well, being in a cloud is surprisingly anticlimactic. It's just sort of blah. =[ It should be all exciting!

If it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, it isn't worth doing.

Yeah, now I've got Writtenkitten, I've decided to be paranoid about unconsciously plagiarising. I just love excuses, apparently.

Kitsune: Hiiyaa. DO DRAWING.

I asked my brother for advice for you because he's the only other person I know who draws, and he came out with some stuff about expressing emotions and conveying a message, and then I said "WHAT ABOUT MOTIVATION?" and he didn't help at all. So sorry, I can't help. D:

Dudes, srsly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 pm
Yeah, I've been in a cloud before. It just seemed unexciting and foggy. And fog should at least be exciting for me since we never get it in Arizona but it's just meh.

Haha, I know how to express emotion and such in drawing; learned all that back in school. But school was also my motivation and it sucked my enjoyment for drawing out so now I need a motivation that is no longer there. D:  

Kitsune Ketz Kwineight
Captain

Tricky Shapeshifter

19,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm
And there are no little elves painting rainbows in clouds either, thanks for lying to me Dahl and Blyton. >=[

I assumed you would know that stuff already, haha. Errm, IF YOU DON'T DRAW, OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT DRAW WHAT YOU WERE GONNA AND THEN YOU'LL BE SAD?

I'm crap at this.

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces