Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 818 819 820 821 822 823 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The King of Misery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am
If I may interject,I think I agree with Bio on the music topic.Just because you like classic Rock doesn't make it undebatable on whether it is the best.I mean I like Grunge,Blues,and and Hard Rock on occasion,but I wouldn't say any of them are a superior form of music.Especially since Grunge is the b*****d son of Punk and Classical/Rock,Blues are just another way of singing Jazz,basically not entirely though,and Hard Rock is just a new-age,faster,louder,rough-around-the-edges version of Rock in general.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 am
Actually, no. My opinion is not debateable lol.

No, I see what you're both trying to get at. And don't get me wrong: I said earlier I love rock, didn't I? That means I love all of its sub-genres, which means I am a fan of metal and grunge and shi* as well. But when I say classic rock is best, I'm not speaking for myself, but on behalf of the rock community (Which includes radio stations, magizines, websites, etc.) who who have repeatedly placed the classic bands at the top of nearly every greatests artists/bands of all time lists (That count, mind you), so...I wouldn't necessarily say classic rock is a superior form of music, but no other sub-genre can hold a candle to its legacy, that's for sure (At least, not YET. There is still a doubtful hope lol).

@Bio:

YES DRILL SERGEANT!!!  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 am
Chase Me To The End
No, I see what you're both trying to get at. And don't get me wrong: I said earlier I love rock, didn't I? That means I love all of its sub-genres, which means I am a fan of metal and grunge and shi* as well. But when I say classic rock is best, I'm not speaking for myself, but on behalf of the rock community (Which includes radio stations, magizines, websites, etc.) who who have repeatedly placed the classic bands at the top of nearly every greatests artists/bands of all time lists (That count, mind you), so...I wouldn't necessarily say classic rock is a superior form of music, but no other sub-genre can hold a candle to its legacy, that's for sure (At least, not YET. There is still a doubtful hope lol).

Okay, first of all, you yourself said that your music tastes are better than most other people in the world. That statement alone says that most people in the world have inferior music tastes which ranges from good music tastes to not knowing good music if it was implanted into their brain.
So, then why do you always look to the masses when deciding what's "The Best"? Frankly, I don't think the majority of people in the world have good music tastes so whatever they decide on doesn't mean crap.

Here's how I see the situation. This was not always the case. The masses very good music tastes back in the 60's and 70's. But slowly starting with 1980's and progressively through the 1990's that went away. In other words, yes, back in the 60's and 70's, all the bands that made truly great music really got the recognition they deserve. But as time went on, the masses started preferring the generic and soulless crap. Like most new wave rock, or Nu Metal, and it's only getting progressively worse.
Now, all those other bands that came out in the 60's and 70's, the only reason they're still considered the best is because of that mantra. It's like, "They're the best. Always, no two ways about it." And if you compare them to the biggest bands of modern times, yes, they're obviously better, because these people only listen to generic, modern crap.
But, what about all those underground bands who are always making beautiful, soulful, powerful music? They never get to see the light of day because the mainstream audience doesn't bother even listening to them unless they're on TV, but they can't get ON TV if the producers don't think the masses will like it.
As a result, even the Rock fans who DON'T want something generic... They just listen to the old stuff. They don't even bother listening, and I mean REALLY listening to the newer music and giving their honest opinion. The don't listen, like their ears are imprinted. Like their brains are set to "Read Only" and don't allow for new opinions about Rock and its subgenres to form.

The one thing that really pissed me off about the concert is how many Maiden fans didn't bother showing up for the opening act. Like, why the hell wouldn't you? You already paid for it. Here's the thing, as much as I love Iron Maiden, when you really listen to the music. If you take the more Metal side of Dream Theater, and compare it to Iron Maiden... Dream Theater has better music hands down. It's more complex and sophisticated, the melodies are more creative. And yes, I know that Iron Maiden paved the way for Dream Theater, and other Progressive Metal Bands, but that doesn't change the fact that Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess and Mike Pettruci combined are simply better composers and musicians. That doesn't mean that I won't listen to Iron Maiden, they do have their own style that has plenty of merit. But Dream Theater had one hit song in the 90's and since have been pretty much underground. And quite frankly, I think you'll agree that since then, they made plenty of songs that were way better than Pull Me Under.

And not only Dream Theater. There's plenty of bands that came out wince the late 80's, early 90's that quite franly, I think are better than the vast majority of those "timeless classics" that came out in the 60's through 80's. And even those bands that are still around. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, in the 90's, they had some rocky times because they lost their lead singers and had to get some less than adequate replacements, but then suddenly Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson come back to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and even in terms of those bands, their new albums were musically better than anything they had done in the past.
So even if you were gonna say, "Top songs" rather than "Top bands" people are always gonna say that "Run To the Hills" is like, "The best Maiden ever!" But frankly, Run To The Hills isn't even that good. And they made plenty of songs since that were much better. Especially after the year 2000.

In conclusion, yes, the masses will always say that the old stuff is the best and nothing beats it. But you know what? Unless they're speaking strictly about Mainstream music, then they're wrong. And if Pink Floyd existed today and they had released an album within the past decade, I'm sure it would be musically better than anything they've ever done.

But bottom line is, if you think you have better music tastes than most people in the world, why are you listening to what most people in the world have to say? And agreeing?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am
lol, I love how this goes from MGS to a debate on music. xd

Now I shall toss my hat into the ring:

@ Chase: The reason MGS2 plays better than Twin Snakes is because they didn't change the level design at all with Twin Snakes, but added all of MGS2's gameplay mechanics. So... half of them (such as the hanging/strength gauge) are rendered completely unnecessary, and others (first-person view mode) delete certain challenges from the game. The boss fight with Ocelot becomes a total cakewalk, and you can just shoot all the security cameras out now, whereas you couldn't in the original and had to really put effort into avoiding ******** Raiden; Raiden sucks. So do his cartwheels. And I agree with pretty much everything else you said in regards to MGS2 and its lame-a** characters.

Silencers really do have a limited number of shots in real life. Not saying MGS is realistic or that you don't have a valid complaint, I just thought I'd point that out.

I actually liked the whole wound-patching thing... but yeah, that and the whole camo thing could be a pain sometimes. They do go back to good ol' rations in MGS4, and streamline the camo deal. It's also a cool effect.

Haha, I didn't like the Bond-esque opening either... or the music. Furthermore, I found some of the dialogue in the beginning painful. Like when he tells the boss it's been 3 years, 10 days, 6 hours, 37 minutes and 26 seconds since they last spoke. *facepalm* what, did he actually set that s**t to a ******** stop watch?? The bosses are really over-the-top. Bee guy is really dumb... other than that, and some stupid artsy-fartsy crap during and after the final boss fight, I liked the storyline. It was much more straight-forward and down to earth than MGS2. And there's some pretty cool moments.

Lastly, as with all stealth games, patience is a must. And I found myself repeating stuff over and over due to dying A LOT towards the end of SMG2. It was actually pissing me off. So did a lot of Special World.

@ King: Cool, man. I'll pick up Sprit Tracks soon. I've been meaning to. Oh. And Grunge is more like the b*****d child of 80s hair metal rather than punk... well, at least in Alice in Chains' case. And speaking of dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8soolsiIOo I now bequeath the curse unto all of you, and you all now have AIDS, too. You're welcome.

@ Elliot & Elena: Well, I'd like to move somewhere like that. I love Cali. That's totally my climate. And West Texas too, by the sound of things. And if I want snow, I'll just hit up the mountains.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 am
I didn't click that link... Do I still have AIDS?

EDIT:
Wewt! Got myself a new MP3 player. It's that NWZ-W202 by Sony, the flash MP3 player that's integrated into the headphones. 2 gigs of memory is more than I would ever need at any one given moment. Other than that, it's pretty much like a shuffle, but it's all in the headphones, so no more chords, and I don't have to have my PSP in my pocket all the time. This also means I can use all of my PSP memory stick to store more games and videos. Either way. Oh, best part? It was only $30. I guess they're not selling too well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm
Yes. Yes, you do. xd

lol, this rant on music reminds me of this little diddy by The Residents...

Jagger - he was a poet
None of this three chords and a hairdresser crap
I just need a couple of players
With a couple of really good players
I could have a band again, go back on the road
C'mere boy
Play real music, none of this computer crap
Real music
We could go big
Whatever happened to music
Now it's all about marketing and media coverage
Goddamn MTV
Everything was okay before MTV
And gun control - like gun control's gonna stop anything
A Trooper Mark III'll stop just about anything
C'mere boy
Schnauzer, where's Uzi? Is he outside?
Nothing's right anymore, not even TV
Davy Crockett said it all
If you're sure you're right then go ahead on
Now... nothing's right
Goddamn MTV!

It's just a matter of opinion.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:54 pm
They lost me at MTV... What's a matter of opinion?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 pm
hah. Oh, nothin'. Never mind.

*goes back to the chinese food menu*  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Well, System of a Down is not that good, so avoid the Chop Suey.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm
Hey, HEY! I loved their first album. And their second one was decent, just over-played... everything pretty much sucked from there on. Just like Eminem!  

Thee Stranger

The King of Misery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm
See,that's why you guys should listen to Blues.It never disappoints.Always a catchy melodic tune,always deep meaningful lyrics,and there is always something for every situation.I'm telling you.Look up Otis Taylor.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 pm
Well, how many Blues artists do you listen to? I'm sure that for every soulful blues musician, there's a good share out there making the same generic crap. It's the same with every single genre in the world.

And Stranger, Eminem's second album was better than his first. Either way, I never liked SOAD. It's so dry. Other than their Zelda song. That kicked a**.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 pm
@ King: Depending on who you are. There's no accounting for taste. I myself am not huge into Blues. I would consider this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDsV_lTdQg&feature=related a catchy, melodic tune that speaks without even needing lyrics. But you'd probably consider it nothing special. Perhaps we'll turn this into a game. Post music and rate 'approve', 'disapprove' or 'meh'. xd

@ Bio: Well, no, it's not. Plus, his second one was over-played to death. Then everything after sucked. I pretty much don't like him anymore at all. And I'm not sure how you could consider SOAD 'dry'. I would consider even their bad stuff annoying, grating suckage, but not dry. They had a pretty unique sound.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 pm
Well, overplayed or not, it was still lyrically better, more intense, and just overall more insane than his first. Which makes it more awesome. His flow was better, and it just had more awesome songs on it. I didn't really find it had any fillers. Whereas on SSLP, songs like c** On Everybody... I mean, it was pointless.

As for the link, I'd say Approved, but just barely. Obviously the electric guitar is the thing that redeems it, but still, it's like putting butter on a soggy biscuit. The butter is the only thing that's enjoyable. I'd honestly rather listen to that electric guitar against nothing at all, just a solo against silence.

Alright, here's my link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf_hKrqhtEM

This was like, my favorite song back in '99. It's still fun as hell to listen to.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Chase Me To The End

Okay, first of all, you yourself said that your music tastes are better than most other people in the world. That statement alone says that most people in the world have inferior music tastes which ranges from good music tastes to not knowing good music if it was implanted into their brain.
So, then why do you always look to the masses when deciding what's "The Best"? Frankly, I don't think the majority of people in the world have good music tastes so whatever they decide on doesn't mean crap.

Here's how I see the situation. This was not always the case. The masses very good music tastes back in the 60's and 70's. But slowly starting with 1980's and progressively through the 1990's that went away. In other words, yes, back in the 60's and 70's, all the bands that made truly great music really got the recognition they deserve. But as time went on, the masses started preferring the generic and soulless crap. Like most new wave rock, or Nu Metal, and it's only getting progressively worse.
Now, all those other bands that came out in the 60's and 70's, the only reason they're still considered the best is because of that mantra. It's like, "They're the best. Always, no two ways about it." And if you compare them to the biggest bands of modern times, yes, they're obviously better, because these people only listen to generic, modern crap.
But, what about all those underground bands who are always making beautiful, soulful, powerful music? They never get to see the light of day because the mainstream audience doesn't bother even listening to them unless they're on TV, but they can't get ON TV if the producers don't think the masses will like it.
As a result, even the Rock fans who DON'T want something generic... They just listen to the old stuff. They don't even bother listening, and I mean REALLY listening to the newer music and giving their honest opinion. The don't listen, like their ears are imprinted. Like their brains are set to "Read Only" and don't allow for new opinions about Rock and its subgenres to form.

The one thing that really pissed me off about the concert is how many Maiden fans didn't bother showing up for the opening act. Like, why the hell wouldn't you? You already paid for it. Here's the thing, as much as I love Iron Maiden, when you really listen to the music. If you take the more Metal side of Dream Theater, and compare it to Iron Maiden... Dream Theater has better music hands down. It's more complex and sophisticated, the melodies are more creative. And yes, I know that Iron Maiden paved the way for Dream Theater, and other Progressive Metal Bands, but that doesn't change the fact that Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess and Mike Pettruci combined are simply better composers and musicians. That doesn't mean that I won't listen to Iron Maiden, they do have their own style that has plenty of merit. But Dream Theater had one hit song in the 90's and since have been pretty much underground. And quite frankly, I think you'll agree that since then, they made plenty of songs that were way better than Pull Me Under.

And not only Dream Theater. There's plenty of bands that came out wince the late 80's, early 90's that quite franly, I think are better than the vast majority of those "timeless classics" that came out in the 60's through 80's. And even those bands that are still around. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, in the 90's, they had some rocky times because they lost their lead singers and had to get some less than adequate replacements, but then suddenly Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson come back to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and even in terms of those bands, their new albums were musically better than anything they had done in the past.
So even if you were gonna say, "Top songs" rather than "Top bands" people are always gonna say that "Run To the Hills" is like, "The best Maiden ever!" But frankly, Run To The Hills isn't even that good. And they made plenty of songs since that were much better. Especially after the year 2000.

In conclusion, yes, the masses will always say that the old stuff is the best and nothing beats it. But you know what? Unless they're speaking strictly about Mainstream music, then they're wrong. And if Pink Floyd existed today and they had released an album within the past decade, I'm sure it would be musically better than anything they've ever done.

But bottom line is, if you think you have better music tastes than most people in the world, why are you listening to what most people in the world have to say? And agreeing?

There's a lot I can say, but I don't have the patience (The irony) to engage in an epic rock conversation. So I'll just say this: Album sales dictate greatness (Which is that which appeals to the fabled "masses"). If you want to use the argument that classic rock bands have sold more albums because they have been around longer than newer bands, shove it up your arse. Yes, shi* like Nickleback have sold over 30 million albums in their 15 year existence. But The Beatles sold over 300 million units of it's discography in only 6 years since their debut.

There's more I want to say, but like I said, I have no patience. You may have patience Bio, but I don't. So don't give me flak.

@Thee Stranger: So, didja beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 818 819 820 821 822 823 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games