Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 823 824 825 826 827 828 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 pm
"Again, I'd disagree if they didn't sorta diminish Sub-Zero's coolness..."

Coolio. Vice captainhood. I got the powuh!

I wanted to add this earlier: At the moment, I really can't tell the difference between Solid Snake and Big Boss, personality wise. They might as well be one and the same.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm
Oh that, lol. No, they actually made him MORE frozen. Which is another thing I didn't like. Giving Sub-Zero perma-frozen arms... I didn't like very much. I'm glad they're giving him normal arms in the new MK.

Are you kidding? Solid Snake is way darker. Big Boss actually makes jokes. Solid Snake is like, "I'm badass and I'll hit on the ladies," Big Boss is like, "I'm deep, but still lighthearted. So I'll make a joke at Para-Medic's expense and then talk about my insecurities such as Dracula."  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 pm
Hmm, I am indifferent about Sub-Zero's ice arms.

And I can't see it yet. They seem to have more similarities than differences.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 pm
Well yeah, they aren't EXTREMELY different. Like I said, I would say the biggest difference in Snake Eater is that Big Boss is a lot more lighhearted. In Portable Ops and Peace Walker, he's less lighthearted (though still more lighthearted than Solid), but he's also put into a leader's shoes, so then he's got a very authoritative demeanor about him.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well yeah, they aren't EXTREMELY different. Like I said, I would say the biggest difference in Snake Eater is that Big Boss is a lot more lighhearted. In Portable Ops and Peace Walker, he's less lighthearted (though still more lighthearted than Solid), but he's also put into a leader's shoes, so then he's got a very authoritative demeanor about him.

Well, I'll probably never see that side of Big Boss...

You'd be darkhearted too if you grew up in a world of Terminators.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 am
Umm... Well, Snake didn't grow up in a world of Cybernetic Organisms who are out to kill John Connor, if that's what you mean. But yeah, the fact that he's a bit dark is JUSTIFIED, I'm just saying it's different from Big Boss, and that's one of the reasons I like Big Boss better.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Umm... Well, Snake didn't grow up in a world of Cybernetic Organisms who are out to kill John Connor, if that's what you mean. But yeah, the fact that he's a bit dark is JUSTIFIED, I'm just saying it's different from Big Boss, and that's one of the reasons I like Big Boss better.

Waitaminute...But isn't Solid Snake actually Kyle Reese? Bwahaha. Dun dun dun dun dun dun chii.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 am
Ohhh, I see what you did there!  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:22 am
Great effing touch naming the horror literature subforum Necronomicon Ex Mortis. biggrin

Stay Alive lol. Wot a shitty movie, but it IS prolly the most suitable name for the movie subforum.

Lol. My bad. I meant videogame subforum.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am
Yeah, well, it's the only Horror movie I could think of that has a video game as its horror factor. Since the naming is based on things in horror movies that apply to that topic.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:04 am
Pshhh, whatever dude. Big Boss does the same s**t. That's how all MGS games go. With the short questions and long explanations. The reason there is so much more of that in MGS4 is because MGS4 has, by far, the longest cutscenes. Because it was the finale, and had a whole a** ton of stupid s**t to explain and plot threads to tie up. And yeah, a lot of it was bad writing. But the oldness factor was one of the things I really liked about it. I would have preferred that it was natural as opposed to accelerated, and I wasn't huge on the 'stach, but I thought it was neat and ballsy. His oldness only added to his coolness factor for me. You know what I hated, and what annoyed me the most about MGS4?

SPOILER ALERT: BIG BOSS. Talk about ruining coolness factor.

Big Boss also gets beat up by a girls. xd And was owned by Solid Snake each time. But all that aside, yes, Snake is a darker character. He's a hardened, no bullshit kinda guy. So sorry he's not cracking more jokes, (even though he does on occasion), but the reason Big Boss is all light-hearted and joke-cracking in MGS3 is because he's kind of a n00b at that time. Oh, ang Big Boss was a cyborg in MG2, so The Terminators thing actually isn't too far off base, lol.

Aaaaanyway. Saw Inception last night. Really good movie. Best I've seen since District 9. Also original -- a rare commodity these days. Recommended.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:20 am
Well, all those things don't change the fact that Big Boss is more likable. Snake was Dark and Brooding, which was cool in the late 90's, early 00's, but by today's standards, I think people prefer a little warmness to a character. Something that makes them approachable. Either way, take Snake in MGS1 alone, and Big Boss in MGS3, compare them, I think Big Boss is a hell of a lot more likable as a character.
And no, they're not always a "cabbage head" not to such an extent. For example, in MGS1, when Snake gets imprisoned, Naomi asks him about his friends and family, and Snake gets to talk about Big Boss and Gray Fox. When Otacon meets him in the stairwell, Snake talks about love blooming on the battlefield and s**t like that. When Sniper Wolf is dying, Snake shares some kind words with her. Bottom line is, he has a LOT of dialogue, and isn't just sitting there listening to exposition. Which gives him that much more personality.
In MGS4, he barely has any dialogue at all. Relatively speaking, he probably has like 10% if not less dialogue in the whole game, whish is sad for a protagonist. He's got like, no personality. It's just, "I'm old and bitter. And I'm gonna smoke while everyone quietly expresses how they don't want me to smoke. But I'll do it anyway to push their buttons." It was by far the most disappointing thing about Snake in MGS4, and about MGS4 in general. He had no personality.

Maybe if you played more than JUST MGS3, you'd have a new appreciation for Big Boss. So go play Portable Ops and especially Peace Walker.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 am
That's your opinion. The dark and broodingness makes Snake a more likable character for me. I already edited my last post before you posted in effort to explain better, but again, MGS4 had a lot more s**t to explain on its plate, and Snake still talked and s**t. Talked to Meryl, gave Raiden a little pep talk, bitched about the kid's eggs, talked to Otacon plenty, etc. He had plenty of personality. Yeah, it's gruff and grumpy and silent at times and all that, but that is his personality.

And if Portable Ops didn't control so shitty, and if its gameplay wasn't so tedious, maybe I would have been compelled to get a little farther in it. That's pretty much my problem with the PSP. It's a 3D system, but it kind of sucks at playing 3D games. It needs another analog, for starters. But back to PO, what I did see storyline-wise didn't compell me to put up with the gameplay either. And what I know of the storyline, I don't really like either. So basically, when Big Boss isn't a Boss wannabe, he's a Gene wannabe. Then what's so legendary about Big Boss then? He's just a big copycat.

And I really do want to play Peace Walker. But my PSP screen is all messed up with these crazy stains. I have no idea how they got there, as it hasn't been damaged or even used in a while. I'm planning on getting that bundle at some point, but my funds are a little short right now.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:35 pm
Thee Stranger
That's your opinion. The dark and broodingness makes Snake a more likable character for me. I already edited my last post before you posted in effort to explain better, but again, MGS4 had a lot more s**t to explain on its plate, and Snake still talked and s**t. Talked to Meryl, gave Raiden a little pep talk, bitched about the kid's eggs, talked to Otacon plenty, etc. He had plenty of personality. Yeah, it's gruff and grumpy and silent at times and all that, but that is his personality.
Well, it wasn't his personality in MGS1 or 2. I mean, yeah, he was still somewhat dark, but he was at least inciteful. Way more inciteful than in MGS4. He could still have a conversation that at least SOUNDS casual. In MGS4 it's like, "I'm depressed. I'll ask you a question and you'll make me even more depressed."
The thing is, in previous MGS games, even within all that exposition, there was still a lot of back and forth. In MGS4, he asks one question and it's like, 7 minutes before he speaks again, and when he does, it's just a one liner that leads into another 7 minutes of one-sided exposition.

Thee Stranger
And if Portable Ops didn't control so shitty, and if its gameplay wasn't so tedious, maybe I would have been compelled to get a little farther in it. That's pretty much my problem with the PSP. It's a 3D system, but it kind of sucks at playing 3D games. It needs another analog, for starters. But back to PO, what I did see storyline-wise didn't compell me to put up with the gameplay either. And what I know of the storyline, I don't really like either. So basically, when Big Boss isn't a Boss wannabe, he's a Gene wannabe. Then what's so legendary about Big Boss then? He's just a big copycat.
But he's not... I dunno what you've heard or read, but that's not even close.
What it does say is that Big Boss is one aspect of The Boss, and Gene is a different aspect of The Boss. But Big Boss had absolutely nothing to do with Gene himself. They were just two different successors to the Boss, and clearly, Big Boss was the superior one. Besides, what happens, and how it happens are two different things.
Someone can say, "So then Snake talks to Gene, and Gene tells him this and that," is one thing, but it doesn't tell you anything about what he's like IN the game. How he speaks, how he expresses his personality, etc.
And the gameplay in PO wasn't shitty. It's flawed, sure, but it was still managable. Sure, I think they should've kept the original Snake Eater control scheme, where the camera is overhead and not fully dynamic, but it wasn't THAT bad. It's still a very enjoyable game.

Thee Stranger
And I really do want to play Peace Walker. But my PSP screen is all messed up with these crazy stains. I have no idea how they got there, as it hasn't been damaged or even used in a while. I'm planning on getting that bundle at some point, but my funds are a little short right now.
The point is, wait until you fully experience the chronicles of Big Boss before passing judgement that Solid Snake is cooler than Big Boss.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:08 pm
Big Solid Snake Boss over ALL!  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 823 824 825 826 827 828 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games