Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Tibetian Revolt & Olympic torch relay discussion thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Tibet be separated from China?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 pm
It seems that you're going to be doing most of the work Niph. blaugh xd I suck at drawing, so don't expect me to be of any help in doing banners or custom fuwa avatars. I can help with the written stuff though.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 pm
Niphz
Right-oh. (:

Call me Niph! P: The 'z' is just to look snazzy. xD

We could always commish some banners.. @__@;;

Niph it is then! whee

My drawing is the equivalent to a 3 year old. >_<;;

So, I don't think I can help much with the art side. I might be able to help a bit on the writing like Minielf.  

Rosamaine

Tipsy Elder

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:19 pm
I'll show moral support. 3nodding

Unless anyone needs stick figures in banners and whatnot~  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 am
This is very exciting. CCCCCC:  

a- K0KO-

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAAP9bbggo

warning: lots of swearing, so don't hurt your virgin ears if you can't handle a few strong words.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 pm
Well, in that case, you writing people can start coming up with a couple of paragraphs explaining our purpose etcetc, nothing too political, just about how we think attempts to sabotage the games are rubbish and how we want them to be UN political. ;D

Kitty - I'll watch it later 3nodding

Niphz
Crew

a- K0KO-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 am
Cat-Whiskers

warning: lots of swearing, so don't hurt your virgin ears if you can't handle a few strong words.

People can't boycott China, its products are basically in everyday life.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:30 pm
Cat-Whiskers

LOL, Angry Potty Mouth is Angry!

But even as a Caucasian American, I mostly agree with him. Anyone who voted for Bush can't turn around and say "Bad Chinese! Free Tibet" when we're occupying Iraq under fradulent excuses. And even those of us who oppose the Iraq war have to realize how little anyone can take us seriously.

Tibet and China have a much longer history together; it's their business to sort things out.

And Buddhist monks with guns kinda bug me ... When they were eloquent pacifists, people listened more. They should have tried for greater autonomy rather than smashing and looting.

Plus, I hate it when people use the Olympics to make political statements. Look at when the US boycotted the Moscow Olympics over Afghanistan. Gee, that worked out swimmingly for us, now didn't it? [/sarcasm]  

JieRui

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:45 am
Cat-Whiskers

xd

"Don't tell people to boycott Chinese products when you're ranting into a camera made by them!"

He's very angry. I like it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 pm
cold_blooded_chick
Cat-Whiskers

xd

"Don't tell people to boycott Chinese products when you're ranting into a camera made by them!"

He's very angry. I like it.

LAWL.
Loved that part. XD

a- K0KO-

IxianMace

Interstellar Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:48 am
I just wanted to note that the first news link (the yahoo article) appears to be broken.

Having read through this thread, I see that much of what I wanted to say has already been said by various members throughout it. Clearly, I am not as informed as many of you appear to be on Chinese/Tibetan history, so I'll just skip to my own personal take on this.

It seems that some people love to hate China and/or the Chinese people too much. It's enough that China has been the butt of jokes here and there, but I have seen comments (as I'm sure most of you also have) directed at the Chinese people that are so racist and anti-Chinese that it makes me want to be sick. I am starting to think that the 'free Tibet' campaign aimed at making the world more aware of this whole Tibet issue is becoming more of a defamatory campaign towards China with the purpose of dragging it through the dirt in the face of the upcoming Beijing Olympics.

Of course, any people who resent China for whatever motive(s) wouldn't have any reason not to jump on the 'China bashing bandwagon', as this whole situation with Tibet is just another opportunity for them to take their pot shots at China.

I was getting quite irritated after reading the same old vitriol coming from people who thought that Chinese were morally inferior to them. Worse still is the attitude going around that Chinese people are 'blinded by patriotism' so any arguments they put forward which don't agree with anti-Chinese sentiments can automatically be disregarded.

I visited the anti-cnn site and watched a video on YouTube which showed rioting in Lhasa. I found it hypocritical how Tibetans could be protesting peacefully, yet trashing shops and attacking people. It only serves to undermine their cause, and I wouldn't expect any government to stand by and allow that kind of activity to continue.

As for the thread that Cat-Whiskers made, the general attitude I garnered from it was that people are already set on their mindset towards China and no amount of discussion or reasoning will change that easily, if at all. I was mad at all the hate-mongering for awhile, but eventually I thought 'why bother?' To some people, we're all wrong no matter what we say or do, so there's no point in trying to change attitudes which they love to keep.

Having said all this, I appreciate the fact that some of you tried to make something constructive out of Cat-Whisker's thread in the Extended Discussion forum, knowing what you may be in for. I also found this guild when I saw it in someone's signature in that thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 am
@Ixian - Yes, yes, I agree with you; and I must say, I had the exact same sentiment of 'why bother...' after making so many posts in Kitty's thread (using his account.. xD) and being faced with idiots xP

I think the best thing we can do now is to simply celebrate being Chinese and stuff without letting ourselves be dragged into political arguments with people who, as you say, already have pre-conceived notions of our country. We have to show the world the many, many positive aspects of Chinese culture, in contrast with the "OMGTHEYBLOCKEDUTUBE" rubbish that the media are intent on giving them. It's sort of.. our responsibility, isn't it? P;

Niphz
Crew

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:14 pm
That's a heavy responsibility. I'm personally very non-confrontational and have thus far avoided any discussion of this topic off the internet with you guys.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am
Finally got around to watching the video.. <3

Niphz
Crew

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Free Tibet~ Or atleast, keep it part of China as a province, like Taiwan so that they can have their own laws... Honestly, I think the people of China would be much happier if their government let them be whichever religion they want to be, and ran the country through peace and democracy, not guns~

Also, I think having the Olympics in China wasn't the best idea... I mean, so many nations are gonna' be tense while it's going on their... But maybe it could change things in China ^^! I hope China becomes a democracy! I would like to live in Taiwan or maybe Japan one day! XD (Kinda' off topic razz )

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff