Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Silmarillion: A Group Reading [update 4.12.05] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:52 pm
The Sun and the Moon, at the stage of the Mythology that turned into the published Silmarillion, are the last fruit and flower of the Two Trees. The Valar created two ships capable of flight, set into them the fruit and flower. These ships thus sail the upper skies, bringing light to Arda.

Have you ever seen a map of Arda? The Valar, following the fall of the Lamps, fled into the Uttermost West of Arda. There, they created the realm of Valinor. Flash forward a few thousand years. The Valar, for the most part, have never left this place. The Noldor, however, have fled. Ulmo decides to help out a bit in secret, and will sometimes return to Middle-earth on their behalf.

Poor Men indeed.

EDIT: Map of Arda

Remember, Arda is flat until the Downfall.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Actually I hadn't seen a full map of Arda before now. sweatdrop I knew that the Sun and Moon were created from the last flower and leaf, and that there were vessles made for them, but I never quite got that the vessles flew. Thanks for the information.  

Elainya

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:48 pm
OMG MAP! Yoink...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Falathrim
The Sun and the Moon, at the stage of the Mythology that turned into the published Silmarillion, are the last fruit and flower of the Two Trees. The Valar created two ships capable of flight, set into them the fruit and flower. These ships thus sail the upper skies, bringing light to Arda.

Have you ever seen a map of Arda? The Valar, following the fall of the Lamps, fled into the Uttermost West of Arda. There, they created the realm of Valinor. Flash forward a few thousand years. The Valar, for the most part, have never left this place. The Noldor, however, have fled. Ulmo decides to help out a bit in secret, and will sometimes return to Middle-earth on their behalf.

Poor Men indeed.

EDIT: Map of Arda

Remember, Arda is flat until the Downfall.

smile Hey that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm in the midst of reading "Of Beleriand and It's Realms"

I hate having many projects due. It cuts off my reading time.

I felt bad for Maedhros when he was being held by Morgoth. cry (is a sensitive reader) and it was so cool how Fingon and the Eagles came to rescue him , though his hand got chopped off...

I had a hard time picturing how he was being held. Was he just being dangled from the rock wall by one bond around his wrist or 2 for each?
(dumb question I know, but I like to picture stuff with detail)  

Imyavie

Melian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:18 pm
Falathrim

That's extremely helpful.
*shrinks and prints*
whee  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:25 pm
imyavie

I felt bad for Maedhros when he was being held by Morgoth. cry (is a sensitive reader) and it was so cool how Fingon and the Eagles came to rescue him , though his hand got chopped off...

I had a hard time picturing how he was being held. Was he just being dangled from the rock wall by one bond around his wrist or 2 for each?
(dumb question I know, but I like to picture stuff with detail)

His one hand was bound to the rock face, thus the reason he only lost one hand and not both. Basically he was tied there. I have a good picture of it, but I'm having trouble finding it. The only part that makes me mad is that he doesn't have red hair in the picture. I'll post it when I find it, but for some reason my computer says it's not there.  

Zach McClure

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:39 pm
Maedhros' Rescue From Thangorodrim  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:00 pm
^Yeah that's the one I was looking for, Falathrim.  

Zach McClure

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:09 pm
imyavie
I'm in the midst of reading "Of Beleriand and It's Realms"

Blast! I'll spare you my apostrophic violence this time... if only because you're actually ahead of me in the readings.

And Falathrim: don't think I overlooked your sly little jab either. Touche! wink

Edit: Regarding the picture: you can imagine how the hair might be red. It's not blonde or anything. He's pretty dirty and the pic's not up close, so it's not impossible that it's red.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:31 pm
Plus, by that point, the guy had been up there for 20 years. I doubt he's had much oppurtunity to wash his hair.  

Falathrim

Imyavie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:23 pm
crying Poor Maedhros...

Wow, that is now....3 literacy mistakes today?
I wasn't having a very swell time this past day, my apologies... sad  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:17 pm
'S ok, imyavie. ^_^

Whee, comments before Wednesday!

Of the Return of the Noldor

Quote:
Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grevious woe.

Feanor is cool again. All that needless killing? Forgotten. Mostly. Meh.

What a strange way to torture and imprison Maedhros. I mean, I guess it works, but it's still kind of weird. Hurin's punishment was much more diabolical and ingenious.

REALLY LATE EDIT: Last night I realized what the imprisonment of Maedhros reminded me of: Prometheus' punishment. At least Maedhros didn't have an eagle coming to claw and peck at his liver every day. But he was kind of involved in bringing "fire" to Middle-earth... is this a big stretch? I don't know that Maedhros and Prometheus would be occupying the same place in their respective mythic structures, but it's interesting nonetheless. (it's weird that that's one word.)

Quote:
For Manwe to whom all birds are dear, and to whom they bring news upon Taniquetil from Middle-earth, had sent forth the race of Eagles, commanding them to dwell in the crags of the North, and to keep watch upon Morgoth; for Manwe still had pity for the exiled Elves.

So it looks like you can thank Manwe for saving Maedhros' life. Eh, Pacha?

I think that's about all I have to comment on for this chapter.

Of Beleriand and Its Realms

Confession: So. Very. Boring.

I skimmed. The stuff is good to know, but it hasn't got much in the way of entertainment value.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:16 pm
As much as I hate Of Beleriand and Itapostrophes Realms, that's not the reason I didn't get the reading done this week. My school reading took priority, and I simply didn't have time at all to get to the Sil.

Q: But Falathrim, you've had a week to read the Sil, and several months to read The Prince. I fail to see an issue...
A: Shaddap.

I should have the First Age's Tale of Years done by tomorrow night, so consider that a bonus in exchange for the lateness. And, hey, at least I posted my excuse, unlike everyone else.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:53 pm
I quit. I'm half way *cough*LIES*cough* through Of Beleriand and It's Realms and I'm tired because I was up til 4am playing the hobbit. I even had something to post for of the return of the Noldor but I reread it and thought "WTF!?" so I'll just post tomorrow. And that I'm not lying about either... it was something like "Feanor had that stupid dying thingy" I really don't know what that was supposed to mean. I need sleep whee

See, I can make up excuses too!  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Melian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:53 am
Nimbrethil
REALLY LATE EDIT: Last night I realized what the imprisonment of Maedhros reminded me of: Prometheus' punishment. At least Maedhros didn't have an eagle coming to claw and peck at his liver every day. But he was kind of involved in bringing "fire" to Middle-earth... is this a big stretch? I don't know that Maedhros and Prometheus would be occupying the same place in their respective mythic structures, but it's interesting nonetheless. (it's weird that that's one word.)

I can see where your coming from. Our English class had come up with some really stupid connections with Prometheus Bound. rolleyes

Ah, what's my excuse? .. I really wanted to read it, but alas, the assembly schedule changed and I didn't have all that free reading time that I used to have. gonk

Oh, hell. You know I'm a lazy idiot who didn't read.

The ends justify the means.. « only thing I remember from The Prince. stressed  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff