Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:13 am
I haven't looked over the entire thread, but at a guess, I would surmise no one has said Arwen yet.

Granted, she was little more than arm jewelery in the book, as she had, basically, two cameos in the story-proper. But, I'm sorry, there is no basis for her going out and kicking so much a** as she did. Not only that, but where the heck did she suddenly get magical powers from? And since when is she, alone, so special and "linked to Sauron" as to start to die as he gains power? What the hell!?!

Movie!Arwen is the basis for so many misconceptions about Tolkien Elves she practically makes me want to vomit.

Berz.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:46 pm
All that you have said is true and valid. But Liv Tyler is wonderfully prettyful, and speaks Sindarin splendidly.  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

[Cresenne]
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm
Ah - just to clarify, Galadriel's native tongue is Quenya (either Noldorin or Telerin- I'm not sure), not Sindarin.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:10 pm
Ohh, right. sweatdrop Sorry, I'm used to thinking of Sindarin as the language of forest-dwellers. I really need to brush up on my Divisions of the Quendi...  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Since she was the youngest child of Finarfin and a granddaughter of Finwë, I would surmise her native language was Noldorin.

Berz.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:18 am
Ok i havnt read all of this thread, but im here to offer my opinion anyway.
Well when I first saw FOTR and TTT i hadn't yet read the books, But after I finished the books I was quite miffed about Arwen. She had such a huge role in the films and very little in the actual story, so I think maybe that could have been handled better, to be made more like the books.

Personally I don't have a problem with the changes to faramir's character, PJ had to make the movies appeal to tolkien fans and people who had never heard of LOTR before, he had to keep the story rolling for people who hadn't read the books etc. But it was kind of diapointing not to see more of Eowyn and Faramir togther romantically, I know it was hinted at the end, but i'd have liked to have seen more, everyone loves a bit of romance blaugh  

The_Ginatron

Questionable Humorist

the master of frogs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:23 am
The_Ginatron

Personally I don't have a problem with the changes to faramir's character, PJ had to make the movies appeal to tolkien fans and people who had never heard of LOTR before, he had to keep the story rolling for people who hadn't read the books etc.

But to do that, he would have to make faramir exactly like he was in the books: strong, loyal, and not tempted by the ring.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:05 am
I don't understand...Isn't that how they portrayed him in the movies?

He was strong, though he did not win the battle for Osgillioth, but that was a suicide mission anyway. His survival testifies to his strength. Besides in the book he was not renown for his strength on the battlefield.

He was loyal to his father and his country...and he was not tempted by the ring. Well I suppose the latter isn't entirely correct...more like he was tempted and resisted the ring. Else wise perhaps the ring just didn't want Faramir...  

Rudhe
Captain

the master of frogs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:22 am
But in the book, He didn't even THINK about taking the ring, (or Isildurs Bane, as he called it) In the movie, he was tempted by it, and wanted to send it to his father, but in the end he resisted. That's what I didn't like about TTT.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 am
Oh yeah, he also beat-up Gollum, too. That was kinda low.  

the master of frogs

[Cresenne]
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 am
the master of frogs

Well, technically his men beat up Gollum. Faramir stayed out of it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 am
[Cresenne]
the master of frogs

Well, technically his men beat up Gollum. Faramir stayed out of it.

Well, In the movie, they both did, too. Faramir slightly strangled him and his men beat him.  

the master of frogs

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:37 pm
My biggest problems with Faramir were taking the hobbits to Osgiliath, and the cruel streak that he displayed. It was completely out of character for him, and considering the timeline, I don't believe that the hobbits could have covered the distance to the Morgul Vale so that the rest of the events fell into place properly.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:10 pm
Exactly.  

the master of frogs

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:22 pm
I finished re-reading the trilogy a little over a week ago. I've been watching the movies after I read the books too. I'm still a bit unnerved about movie-Arwen, but not quite so much as before. My book purity mode seems to have concentrated on Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo anymore. xd  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff