Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Welcome to A Crafter's Guild
Hello and Welcome! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X9Kittenz9X

2,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 pm
NecroticCreepShow
I'm Elizabeth and I'm primarily a knitter. I more or less taught myself with some help from my grandmother who has been doing it for years. I also occasionally make my own soap and candles. I also make ATCs (artist trading cards), and I also do a little scrapbooking. I do some origami as well and I'm learning how to sew. I actually just bought my very first sewing machine the other day. My mom taught me to crochet a little bit but I don't remember any of it. I really want to learn how to do it though.

Wow! A total renaissance woman Rock on girl! and Welcome ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 pm
X9Kittenz9X

Thanks Emm!! I personally think cooking is an art form, but i know some people debate that at times. And actually my favorite is baking too! Cookies and I've been getting into trying my hand out at cakes lately. (Plus it's funny to see my son trying to sneek the batter when he thinks I'm not looking.) Thanks a WHOLE bunch for the compliments on my art.

Once, when I was little, my mom let us make whatever flavor cakes we wanted (my sister chose cherry, I chose chocolate), and eat as much of the batter as we wanted to. Turned out we only had enough batter left over for a 1 layer cake each, and to this day, I don't eat the batter any more!  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:30 am
I guess this is where I say hello and such.

I'm a blacksmith, one of the only 2 or 3 here on Gaia (it gets lonely). I smelt my own Iron and play around with molten Aluminum and Copper.

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:11 am
Emm-Kaye
X9Kittenz9X

Thanks Emm!! I personally think cooking is an art form, but i know some people debate that at times. And actually my favorite is baking too! Cookies and I've been getting into trying my hand out at cakes lately. (Plus it's funny to see my son trying to sneek the batter when he thinks I'm not looking.) Thanks a WHOLE bunch for the compliments on my art.

Once, when I was little, my mom let us make whatever flavor cakes we wanted (my sister chose cherry, I chose chocolate), and eat as much of the batter as we wanted to. Turned out we only had enough batter left over for a 1 layer cake each, and to this day, I don't eat the batter any more!

Lol. Thats too cute. Ill have to try that sometime. Thanks for the idea! smile  

X9Kittenz9X

2,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:13 am
chainmailleman

I'm a blacksmith, one of the only 2 or 3 here on Gaia (it gets lonely). I smelt my own Iron and play around with molten Aluminum and Copper.

Welcome! I have watched blacksmith's at the Renaissance Festival - It seems to be an awesome profession! What types of items do you make, mostly?

I've made some jewelry, using molten silver, and really enjoyed that, but I've never had the opportunity to work with a blacksmith.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:30 am
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

Welcome! I have watched blacksmith's at the Renaissance Festival - It seems to be an awesome profession! What types of items do you make, mostly?

I've made some jewelry, using molten silver, and really enjoyed that, but I've never had the opportunity to work with a blacksmith.

Tools mostly. I make a few knives here and there on occasion. I recently got into smelting and I am playing with some new (ancient really, but new for me) techniques that make me really want to try making some Japanese style blades.

I also make armor as that was what got me into hot work. Chainmaille, plate, leather, etc. I haven't made a piece in a while though.  

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:41 am
chainmailleman
Tools mostly. I make a few knives here and there on occasion. I recently got into smelting and I am playing with some new (ancient really, but new for me) techniques that make me really want to try making some Japanese style blades.

I also make armor as that was what got me into hot work. Chainmaille, plate, leather, etc. I haven't made a piece in a while though.

You're talking the 'folded' blades? Those can be incredible! (And incredibly time consuming.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:40 pm
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

You're talking the 'folded' blades? Those can be incredible! (And incredibly time consuming.)

Yep. Infact here is my first attempt at a folded blade from homemade steel.
User Image
It is folded 3 times, and it separated around the tang (iron oxide, called scale, forms on the surface of the metal and does not weld which is why it's cracked bad).  

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

It is folded 3 times, and it separated around the tang (iron oxide, called scale, forms on the surface of the metal and does not weld which is why it's cracked bad).

That looks awesome! Beautiful shaping on the blade!
Would you be able to refold/rework the tang, making it a partial (spike maybe??) rather than a full tang? Or since it is cracked almost down the center, is it not worth messing with?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:51 pm
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

Would you be able to refold/rework the tang, making it a partial (spike maybe??) rather than a full tang? Or since it is cracked almost down the center, is it not worth messing with?

It wasn't worth trying to fix. I started out with about 2 pounds of oroshigane (smith made steel) and after three folds I had less than a pound.  

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

It wasn't worth trying to fix. I started out with about 2 pounds of oroshigane (smith made steel) and after three folds I had less than a pound.

Dang...
Oh, I've got a friend who asked if you do horseshoe nail rings...he said he had one a long time ago, and would love to get another sometime.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:32 pm
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

Dang...
Oh, I've got a friend who asked if you do horseshoe nail rings...he said he had one a long time ago, and would love to get another sometime.

I can make one easily. Where would I be shipping it to?  

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

Dang...

Ooo...How much, and what sizes do you make?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:39 pm
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman
Emm-Kaye
chainmailleman

Dang...

Ooo...How much, and what sizes do you make?

Well you tell me the size and I'll see what I can do. I won't charge anything for bending a nail. Now if you want me to make the nail from scratch it will cost some money, but horseshoe nails are pre-fabricated and very cheap. I'm not a farrier but I have a few lying around somewhere. Worst case scenario I'll go to CAL Ranch and spend a couple bucks for 50.  

chainmailleman

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:45 pm
chainmailleman
Well you tell me the size and I'll see what I can do. I won't charge anything for bending a nail. Now if you want me to make the nail from scratch it will cost some money, but horseshoe nails are pre-fabricated and very cheap. I'm not a farrier but I have a few lying around somewhere. Worst case scenario I'll go to CAL Ranch and spend a couple bucks for 50.

Let me check with him, to find out size and where he wants it sent - I'll pm you with the address,  
Welcome to A Crafter's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff