Ideas for the Guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roobarb
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 pm
Oh, another free website site to consider is Freewebs. I used to use it a lot. It used to have a page limit on it but it's a lot more free in the design. One thing I don't like about livejournal/VIRB is that they both look like 'social networking' websites rather than fansites, though I suppose enough CSS coding could change that.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:52 pm
I was never really all that keen on the look of Freewebs. Still, I reckon we've got it in us to get something like Virb looking pretty much how we want it. Consider it a challenge.  

Smigg-the-Miserable
Crew

Roobarb
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:58 pm
Lol. Well then, maybe I should start a website design challenge in the mod forum? I'm happy with VIRB if someone can get it looking Whovian-ish.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:06 pm
Hmm, I think this may have to operate as more of a community collaboration that a competition. Besides, you can do some impressive stuff with CSS so it should be possible.  

Smigg-the-Miserable
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 pm
Roobarb
Great! A mod forum. I was about to suggest we should move this thread in there but actually it's more of an all-inclusive one so it's better here.

One thing, I would probably put MODS ONLY in the title or something, if we're being strict about that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure access to it can be restricted so only crew can even see it, right?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 pm
Smigg-the-Miserable
Hmm, I think this may have to operate as more of a community collaboration that a competition. Besides, you can do some impressive stuff with CSS so it should be possible.

I can't do a lick of CSS coding.
Out of personal interest, does Freewebs allow FTP transfer?

Eirwyn

Roobarb
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:38 am
Eirwyn
I can't do a lick of CSS coding.
Out of personal interest, does Freewebs allow FTP transfer?

I'm afraid I don't know but whilst I was looking through their Take a Tour option I noticed that they've added in an awful lot of stuff since I was last using it. It also has the plus of being HTML based. But anyway, I leave it up to whoever wants to run some tests on all these free websites.

On another point, did we ever get a clear decision on whether we should have a fangirl subforum? Are we putting it to the vote?

P.S. Oops I didn't know you could make access to subforums really Mod only... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 am
Eirwyn
Maybe Stresshog could make a game.
I had a look around. If I can get MySQL to work, I could set about modifying this phpRPG thing I spotted and making it Doctor Who-themed.  

sadahsulrerhawkerkehrwqe

MisaAiNoNai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:37 pm
Freewebs basic report: (as I dont know much about codes and all... just the graphics side) My Site Not much I know and still a bit of work in progress but still. some examples of graphics i do (and im still improving!)
so yeah.. Freewebs; will no if we cant find anything better that we can work with. wink

Edit: Okay... so really its not great but still... it is fairly easy and ive just found a nice template you can use when you want your own images to take priority... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:44 pm
I see you can put RSS feeds on the Freeweb pages. Getting some from Who news sites would be an easy way to keep up to date on current news, as they would be updated by the sites they came from.  

Eirwyn

Mecill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:20 am
I didn't want to read through all nine pages so sorry if this has already been suggested, but how about a new subforum JUST for episode discussion? All the episode-specific threads could be moved there, which would make them easier for people who are behind in the series (like if you're watching on Scifi) to find.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:51 am
Mecill
I didn't want to read through all nine pages so sorry if this has already been suggested, but how about a new subforum JUST for episode discussion? All the episode-specific threads could be moved there, which would make them easier for people who are behind in the series (like if you're watching on Scifi) to find.
But wouldn't that kill the main forum, which is comprised mainly of episode discussion and opinion threads?  

sadahsulrerhawkerkehrwqe

Mecill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 pm
I don't think it would. People would still use the main forum to discuss general topics, speculate upcoming episodes and things like that. On the first page there are a lot of episode threads because those are popular, but there are also, currently, 15 more pages to the main forum, the majority of which are non-episode posts!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:09 pm
It's true that the older episode threads get harder to find, especially with all the redundant posts, but I don't think transferring it out of the main forum is such a good idea for the reason Stresshog mentioned.

However, I think something should be done for latecomers who are only now getting to see series 3. How about a sticky thread with links to all of the episode-specific threads? That wouldn't be too difficult to create. In fact, maybe I'll try to do it now...  

Hairy Priest
Vice Captain

Ceribri
Crew

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:20 am
Hairy Priest
It's true that the older episode threads get harder to find, especially with all the redundant posts, but I don't think transferring it out of the main forum is such a good idea for the reason Stresshog mentioned.

However, I think something should be done for latecomers who are only now getting to see series 3. How about a sticky thread with links to all of the episode-specific threads? That wouldn't be too difficult to create. In fact, maybe I'll try to do it now...

^^
I had that same thing going with the Torchwood subforum, only it kinda..died. whee

The Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff