Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
-School crap- Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iviary

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 pm
I go to a Public High School, in what you might call Suburbia, Texas.
Our facilities are actually insanely good.

We have a Natatorium with an extremely nice diving/swimming competition pool, as well as a "kiddie" pool, lazy river, waterslide, and playground.

Our Athletic Facility has a very nice Weight-Lifting room, as well as 50 yards of an air-conditioned astroturf football field.

We also have nice baseball/softball fields, a band/track/soccer field, lacrosse field (although it's pretty shoddy), metal shop, humongous band room (It had better be! We'll have nearly 700 people in band grades 9-12 next year), pretty good orchestra room as those tend to go, and our school is longer than the Empire State Building is tall.

Unfortunately, it also comes with approximately 43892 security cameras, and nazi-ish security guards (with golf carts!), but I guess that's alright, if obnoxious. At least they got rid of the metal detectors at the entrances (not kidding about that one. Had 'em for 2 or 3 years after Columbine, and the bomb-threats throughout America's schools including ours after it happened).. Our school actually made its way into Bowling For Columbine thanks to our ridiculous security measures.

Oddly enough, we actually have a really crappy football stadium (although at least we have one). They have to build temporary stands every year in between the end-zones and the track, as well as between those temporary stands and the permanent ones, in order to accomodate everyone. Even then, it's ridiculously crowded, and I don't know how many times I've seen a board people are standing on break from all the weight. That's a bit frightening when you're up at the top. However, I'm content with a less-than-stellar stadium, if it means the money to build a new one can go towards the Arts or new Calculus books, or any of many expenditures that get overlooked, when we can buy new skanky drill team uniforms instead.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:10 pm
Muaethia
I go to a grammer school in the UK- you have to pass a test to get in (written exams in maths, english in science). I'm now in year 11, which means i'm doing my GCSEs starting the 23rd sweatdrop

[...]

The pupils are aged 11-18, but you can leave at the end of year 11 (when you're 16) and go to a 6th-form college or a different school, or just go and get a job. It's not a private school, you don't have to pay to go.

Thankfully, it's not religious at all and we don't have to pray in the mornings or anything... and we never sing hymns or songs or anything 3nodding

I used to go to an international school (in Hong Kong) that uses that system (just so I can skip a grade - the Hong Kong local system has the same number of years but start a year later so that most people are 19 instead of 18 in their final year), but half a year before I should've done the GCSE I moved to Sydney and started "year 11", effectively skipping another grade because the system in Sydney only goes up to year 12. twisted I do have to go to a religious school though, because they actually offer the subject combination that I want, and they don't mind that I'm young enough to be in the grade below. The downside is that there are religious assemblies. I just went to the yearly house chapel service this morning, what a waste of time! I ate a lot of cake in the morning tea after though. That was worth it. xd

Yami_Ichi
I have to take a choir, band, math, english, and biology final. I hate them all and I want them to die. I remember on a band final, one question was:
"The answer to this question is B. Is the answer,
A. B
B. A
C. D
D. C"

O-O

Yeah... I don't want another one like that... I was confuzzled beyond all reason.

That's just weird. Doesn't seem to be relevant to anything either. Of course, I'm not in band so I wouldn't know whether this is supposed to mean anything to you, but still.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:46 am
iviary

We have a Natatorium with an extremely nice diving/swimming competition pool, as well as a "kiddie" pool, lazy river, waterslide, and playground.

WHOA

a lazy river?????

as if!

and a spacific lacrosse field? We have to play all of our sports on the same huge stretch of grass, except 5-a side football (soccer) and cricket, which we have specific pitches for.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:15 pm
Argh! My school was built on land that was supposed to be a hotel in the middle of downtown! We have no outdoor fields, and the only thing we do have--a basketball court--was built so long ago it's too small for regulation competition. gonk The ultimate insult: our swim team meets at the recreation center. crying  

DivideByZero14

iviary

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:53 pm
Muaethia
iviary

WHOA

a lazy river?????

as if!

and a spacific lacrosse field? We have to play all of our sports on the same huge stretch of grass, except 5-a side football (soccer) and cricket, which we have specific pitches for.

Did I mention the pool and lazy river and such are indoors?
Nice and steamy.
=D

Well, the lacrosse field isn't used for actual games, to my knowledge. I believe they use the middle school football field, since it has stands.

This is the entrance:
User Image
And the gym:
User Image
And the view down the main hall:
User Image
And a rather old shot of our band that amuses me:
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 am
xd

It's quite a small school. Here's a pic of the old orphanage, est. 1597

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And teh school nowadays:

There are other smaller side-buildings, but most of the lessons are in that main building.

Here's a nice small shot of part of the big plot of grass we play sports on (it's actualleh a park xD)

Muaethia

iviary

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:10 pm
Muaethia
xd

It's quite a small school. Here's a pic of the old orphanage, est. 1597

And teh school nowadays:

There are other smaller side-buildings, but most of the lessons are in that main building.

Here's a nice small shot of part of the big plot of grass we play sports on (it's actualleh a park xD)

Aw man. I know with a building that old, the facilities probably aren't too good, but.. I can only dream of having a school that beautiful.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm
iviary
Nice and steamy.
=D

Well, the lacrosse field isn't used for actual games, to my knowledge. I believe they use the middle school football field, since it has stands.

This is the entrance:
(Picture)
And the gym:
(Picture)
(Picture)
(Picture)

*EXPLETIVES* gonk crying gonk crying Now I feel REALLY inadequate...  

DivideByZero14

iviary

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 pm
DivideByZero14
iviary
Nice and steamy.
=D

This is the entrance:
(Picture)
And the gym:
(Picture)
(Picture)
(Picture)

*EXPLETIVES* gonk crying gonk crying Now I feel REALLY inadequate...

Bahaha..  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:01 am
My school sucks horribly.

We have 2,000 people here, yet our school is the size of an elementary school, seriously. We have to have seperate bell schedules for different grades so that way the halls aren't too crowded. I hate it.

We have no swim team, no lacrosse team, no cool clubs. Our school's attention basically focuses on the football team and season. Agh!

FalseDiagnosis

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 pm

Oh boy. New semester tomorrow. I wonder what this one will bring? I'm commuting this time.

Last two semesters, off the top of my head-
-drunk homeless man wandering through our dorm
-almost getting hit by cars
-random underwear on the sidewalk in front of a university building
-mudfight with studio class, inside and initiated by the teacher
-skipping lots of art history classes
-getting called by drunk friends at 3 am. Always funny if there's nothing going wrong.
-several nine inch nails concerts <3
-not having a/c or water in the dorm for a while
-seeing the expression on a pizza delivery guy's face when he gets to the door and sees a stripper pole xD
-less-than-enjoying the very loud rap music of the room next door
-professor late to class because his chained-up bike was stolen off his porch. (I'm not sure what about that is funny to me, but it is xD)
-same professor giving us free points on the exam because he got engaged
-professor riding skateboard in class
-professor wearing monocle to talk about 'Uncle charlie' (karl marx) ((That'd be funnier if you knew what the professor looked like xD))
-guy who went into a university bathroom and beat some girl over the head with a hammer (it might have been a wrench, I don't remember)
-shootings, stabbings, and confiscation of lots of weapons and some AK47s (not all at once xD) in the area near my dorm, maybe 3 blocks down
-mfa sculpture program still no. 1 in nation
-waiting for hours to turn a portfolio in
-getting accepted into sculpture department <3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 am
Homfg.

Sounds like you have a right laugh! I can't wait till uni if there's all sort of crazy stuff like that going on xD (perhaps minus the attacks, guns, knives etc). Underwear on the pavement? Things aren't so different trans-atlantic after all.

That reminded me of one memorable school trip to france, when I was 13, and everyone was staying in chalets. Some of them had upstairs areas, the guys mostly (there were more of them per chalet). I broke into Tom Whitely and friends' chalet, opened his suitcase, took the biggest pair of underpants I could find, attached them to a pole sticking out of the roof window and flew them like a flag for all to see, truely proclaiming that I had conqured Tom's chalet once and for all.

Ahhh... memories...

Anyone else had any fantastic school (field) trips in their time?

Muaethia

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:36 am
Never trust the people who work for the Financial Aid Office! Never ever!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Yeah D:
I was on a waiting list for a dorm, and the housing people called to say there was one open for me and I could go online to do the contract or I could not do it and it'd go to the next person. I decided not to, and yet still I have housing and a meal plan on my bill >.< My mom called the financial aid office since the loan we're getting is through my parents I think... Plus loan or something. But anyway they still haven't taken everything off the bill yet. rolleyes How did they even put a meal plan on? I never even picked one. They would have known housing cost but what the ********, how do they just add a meal plan for me? xD They happened to pick the priciest one too.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Minozake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:30 pm
I am looking forward to going back to school. Except for one thing

Our school has a ban on junk food. Now nobody can sell any pop, cookies or cookie dough, McDonalds' hamburgers, etc. Basically, it is a BS rule.

Otherwise, I look forward to Honors Geometry, Latin, Honors Bio, and English.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff