Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Númenórë - A LOTR Community
Eambar: Off-Topic Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:48 am
Longbow UK
Falathrim
Longbow, against capitalism?

Huh. The way he acted on the Exchange/Marketplace, I had him coined to be the Capitalist of the Year...

...That's completely different. It's virtual gold. rolleyes

You're using virtual money if you use a debit/interac card at a store. I'm about to pay some bills online using virtual money.

I know what you meant, though. There's no "Bank of Gaia" in the real world where I can pick me up some Gaia Gold and stick it in my pocket. Still; if it really didn't matter/had no value, people wouldn't use it.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:26 am
Nimbrethil
Longbow UK
Falathrim
Longbow, against capitalism?

Huh. The way he acted on the Exchange/Marketplace, I had him coined to be the Capitalist of the Year...

...That's completely different. It's virtual gold. rolleyes

You're using virtual money if you use a debit/interac card at a store. I'm about to pay some bills online using virtual money.

I know what you meant, though. There's no "Bank of Gaia" in the real world where I can pick me up some Gaia Gold and stick it in my pocket. Still; if it really didn't matter/had no value, people wouldn't use it.

It has value, yes, but it doesn't affect the real world in any way, unlike real money. Radix malorum est cupiditas.  

Khorkalba

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:51 am
Sure it affects the real world. People donate to the site, don't they? That's trading real life money for Gaia money.
They spend outrageous amounts of time posting here, with one of the motivations being the earning of gold.
And I'd argue that they derive the same pleasure out of gaining items on Gaia that they get from gaining items in real life. So, since Gaia affects people's real lives, Gaia's system of commerce affects people's real lives.

Granted: not having gold doesn't mean you'll starve to death or become homeless, so the impact of Gaia gold isn't as profound as real currency, but it still affects users' lives to a certain extent.

And I think people in general are the root of all evil, but that's beside the point. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:11 am
Yes, it affects people's lives, but it would do so anyway, even if there was no gold or "Gaia economy".

And I personally don't donate to the site, and if I ever did it would not be to gain Gaia gold.

What i'm trying to say is, I don't think you can make the judgment that someone is a Capitalist based on their actions on a RP site. It's like Monopoly... would I be considered a Capitalist if I were to enjoy that game?  

Khorkalba

Thaxul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:59 am
hey, you can still post in guilds! blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:00 am
It would affect the real world in a different way if there were no economy.

Longbow, if you say you're not a capitalist, I believe you. Who am I to say what you believe in? Also, labels are silly. My point was only that the virtual money thing isn't completely separate from real life.  

Nimbrethil

Thaxul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:04 pm
Im so bored! xp  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:42 pm
thaxul
Im so bored! xp

As am I. Stupid holidays make things go so slow.  

Onoj

Onoj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:56 pm
Onoj is officially an idiot! I bought a graphics card for my computer today and I accidently bought a card to fit an AGP port but my comp runs off a PCI port...so I am screwed out of 130 bucks.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:21 pm
can you not just return it?  

Thaxul

Onoj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:41 pm
I am going to try but I already opened it. I still have the receipt so I am just going to exchange it. I am sure everything will work out.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:29 pm
good luck to you. Unless the clerk is a real jackass, they probably won't have a problem trading it.  

Thaxul

Elainya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:19 pm
thaxul
good luck to you. Unless the clerk is a real jackass, they probably won't have a problem trading it.

Yeah, just exchange it now and not on Dec. 26...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:42 pm
Elainya
thaxul

Yeah, just exchange it now and not on Dec. 26...

Yeah I hope I can. I doubt I will get a spare moment to go tomorrow. I bought it at Best Buy...the closest best Buy is over an hour away and therein lies my problem.  

Onoj

Imyavie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:18 pm
Negotiation is your friend in times like this, Onoj. Try your best to return it tomorrow and if thats not possible, try on the 26th. (I'm not sure if Americans call it Boxing Day or not so, yeah...)  
Númenórë - A LOTR Community

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 362 363 364 365 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games