Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
George Carlin and the atheistic view of the 10 Commandments

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

10 Commandments:
  Mostly good
  Some good, but leaves out too much or is too irrelevant to atheistic life to be too much good
  Mostly harmful
View Results

reverie0312

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:32 am
Discussion starter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CitfTtMIx8

Okay. So after watching that video (or after not watching it, I suppose), what do y'all think of the 10 Commandments? Good pieces of advice? Bad pieces of advice? What say you?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:34 am
Here's my take on the 10 Commandments.

God, ostensibly

#1-2) Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make for thyself an idol.

Not applicable to atheists. We don't have any god.

God, ostensibly

#3) Thou shalt not make wrongful use of the name of thy God

Not applicable to atheists, because we have no God to be respectful towards. I think a useful distinction here is the one between between being respectful of the religious person and being respectful towards the God. If it offends someone if I say things like "Oh my God! I can't beleive it!" in front of someone, I won't say it. However, that's not respect for the (nonexistent) deity, it's respect for my fellow person. I would do the same if someone was upset by the word "******** class="quote">
God, ostensibly

#4) Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy.

Not applicable to atheists. We don't have a Sabbath. Although taking a little break each week to contemplate life is probably not a bad idea.

God, ostensibly

#5) Honor thy father and mother.

A good idea, within reason. I think we should be careful not to conflate "honoring" with "blindly agreeing with," but in general honoring everyone, particularly people who sacrifice for you as much as your parents do, is a good idea.

God, ostensibly

#6) Thou shalt not murder

A very good idea. One could only wish religious folks abided by this more frequently...

God, ostensibly

#7-9) Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness.

Good ideas.

God, ostensibly

#10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife. You shall not covet thy neighbor's goods.

Eh. Coveting alone isn't that big of a deal. If you're consumed by your coveting, that's probably bad and leads to an fulfilling life. If you act on it, that's covered under previous commandments. Not a terribly important commandment, really.

Now, all of that said, I think there are some very conspicuous omissions from this above list. I think the fact that RAPE is not only missing from this list, but also explicitly condoned elsewhere in the Bible, is a glaring problem that does not get sufficiently addressed. Likewise for beating your wife, child molestation, enslaving people, and taking over your neighbor's land (somehow this doesn't fall under stealing, it appears).

This would be my personal list of commandments (in no particular order):

1) Don't murder.
2) Don't rape or sexually abuse anyone.
3) Try to defuse conflicts and avoid violence if possible, and do not initiate physical violence.
4) Do not be unnecessarily cruel or psychologically abusive.
5) Do not discriminate against people based on arbitrary, silly criteria, including but not limited to: sex (including the transgendered and intersexed), race/ethnicity/nationality, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
6) Have integrity. This means being honest, practicing what you preach, and standing up for what you believe in even when there are negative consequences.
7) Be compassionate, helpful, understanding, and forgiving. When someone is having a difficult time, be kind to them even when they are frustrated. Try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Genuinely care about what happens to others.
8.) Don't steal.
9) Be giving. When you have more than you need, share with those who have less. Do not be stingy with your property.
10) Think critically and be open to ideas. Do not ignore possibilities because of your predetermined notions. Seek truth.

Now THAT is a useful, comprehensive ethical prescription.  

reverie0312

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:19 pm
I voted "mostly good," but for George's 10 commandments (2).

--Hilariously stupid commandments.--

Don't have other gods - why not (pretending is fun!)?
Don't covet - why not (as Carlin says, it drives people to achieve)?
Don't badmouth God's name - why not (what if I badmouth a tree or a can of soda?)?
Don't desecrate the Sabbath - why not (haven't seen a bolt of lightning yet!)?

--Commandments of questionable value--

Don't be a s**t to your parents - what if they are shits first?

--Things that were common sense long before they were commandments--

Don't lie - it's a violation of others' freedoms.
Don't steal - that's a violation of others' freedoms.
Don't cheat - that's a violation of others' freedoms.
Don't kill - that's a violation of others' freedoms.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:17 pm
Mine would be something more awesome-sounding, like the Four Pillars of Righteousness:

-Honesty
-Fidelity
-Control
-Judgement

Or, if you wanna get specific...

-Don't lie or cheat.
-Don't betray those who care about you.
-Don't give into raw emotion.
-Don't act rashly in situations where it isn't due.

And now, apply Carlin's positive language:

-Always tell the truth.
-Remain faithful to those who care about you.
-Keep a serene heart.
-Calm your instincts.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:49 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
1. You must train.
2. You must pray.
3. You must eat your vitamins.
4. Believe in yourself, brother!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:20 am
Baron von Turkeypants
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
1. You must train.
2. You must pray.
3. You must eat your vitamins.
4. Believe in yourself, brother!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

How could I have been so blind this whole time?

*runs wild all over someone*  

Theophrastus

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:56 am
I just shot milk through my nose.

DAMN YOU, TURKEYPANTS!

The commandments was an okay idea, but a lot of them are completely unnessecary. confused  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:37 pm
Damn, I wish YouTube worked on my computer. *grumbles*  

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

reverie0312

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:17 am
I think there's a google video version, if that helps?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:01 pm
Click me please!

I loved Carlin's take on the Ten Commandments. The way he addressed that "Some parents deserve respect -- most of them don't," was awesome. Anybody willing to face the fact that older does not equal smarter or better deserves a high-five. My personal opinion on the Ten Commandments? They aren't necessary. People should not need a list to tell them how to behave like an ethical human being.
I am serious. Click it.

Anavis

Fourscarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 pm
religious bits=stupid
common sense bits=we already knew about it before this religion  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:05 pm
Fairyfly
Here's my take on the 10 Commandments.

God, ostensibly

#1-2) Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make for thyself an idol.

Not applicable to atheists. We don't have any god.

God, ostensibly

#3) Thou shalt not make wrongful use of the name of thy God

Not applicable to atheists, because we have no God to be respectful towards. I think a useful distinction here is the one between between being respectful of the religious person and being respectful towards the God. If it offends someone if I say things like "Oh my God! I can't beleive it!" in front of someone, I won't say it. However, that's not respect for the (nonexistent) deity, it's respect for my fellow person. I would do the same if someone was upset by the word "******** class="quote">
God, ostensibly

#4) Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy.

Not applicable to atheists. We don't have a Sabbath. Although taking a little break each week to contemplate life is probably not a bad idea.

God, ostensibly

#5) Honor thy father and mother.

A good idea, within reason. I think we should be careful not to conflate "honoring" with "blindly agreeing with," but in general honoring everyone, particularly people who sacrifice for you as much as your parents do, is a good idea.

God, ostensibly

#6) Thou shalt not murder

A very good idea. One could only wish religious folks abided by this more frequently...

God, ostensibly

#7-9) Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness.

Good ideas.

God, ostensibly

#10) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife. You shall not covet thy neighbor's goods.

Eh. Coveting alone isn't that big of a deal. If you're consumed by your coveting, that's probably bad and leads to an fulfilling life. If you act on it, that's covered under previous commandments. Not a terribly important commandment, really.

Now, all of that said, I think there are some very conspicuous omissions from this above list. I think the fact that RAPE is not only missing from this list, but also explicitly condoned elsewhere in the Bible, is a glaring problem that does not get sufficiently addressed. Likewise for beating your wife, child molestation, enslaving people, and taking over your neighbor's land (somehow this doesn't fall under stealing, it appears).

This would be my personal list of commandments (in no particular order):

1) Don't murder.
2) Don't rape or sexually abuse anyone.
3) Try to defuse conflicts and avoid violence if possible, and do not initiate physical violence.
4) Do not be unnecessarily cruel or psychologically abusive.
5) Do not discriminate against people based on arbitrary, silly criteria, including but not limited to: sex (including the transgendered and intersexed), race/ethnicity/nationality, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
6) Have integrity. This means being honest, practicing what you preach, and standing up for what you believe in even when there are negative consequences.
7) Be compassionate, helpful, understanding, and forgiving. When someone is having a difficult time, be kind to them even when they are frustrated. Try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Genuinely care about what happens to others.
8.) Don't steal.
9) Be giving. When you have more than you need, share with those who have less. Do not be stingy with your property.
10) Think critically and be open to ideas. Do not ignore possibilities because of your predetermined notions. Seek truth.

Now THAT is a useful, comprehensive ethical prescription.
I agree.  

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:57 pm
Vivika von Mott
Click me please!

I loved Carlin's take on the Ten Commandments. The way he addressed that "Some parents deserve respect -- most of them don't," was awesome. Anybody willing to face the fact that older does not equal smarter or better deserves a high-five. My personal opinion on the Ten Commandments? They aren't necessary. People should not need a list to tell them how to behave like an ethical human being.
I am serious. Click it.

Age certainly helps anyway. Take Carlin himself, for example. wink

But I completely agree with him on the point of respect having to be earned.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games