Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
being gay is a sin

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 pm
I had an argument today with some people I work with about the mention in the bible about homosexuality being a sin. These people were Catholic and they said that if you believe that homosexuality is a sin your a bad Catholic and that the bible doesn't say being gay is a sin. The version of the bible I read said "thal shalt not lay with another man, it is an abomination". If that’s what it says and they deny it doesn't that make them sinners? Seems to me like nowadays people cherry pick from the bible to alter it to their liking.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:13 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Don't you know the new book bumps out the old book?

I.E. Christians don't stone people on the sabbath for picking up stix.

What they say is consistent with Catholic doctrine.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:54 pm
Who'da thought that the infallible word of God needed so many revisions!

His mysterious ways again. Just imagine if you were a Christian and you really believed that one version of the Bible was true over the others. What if you lived by the NIV? Does that mean that every other person who was a faithful Christian but used a different Bible would go to hell or have a lot of explaining to do?

You'd think someone powerful enough to make the whole universe in six days could afford a good editor.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:09 am
I'm no Biblical expert, but didn't God frequently test his followers to make sure they still had faith in him and were learning his virtues?

Going by that logic, I'm surprised it never occurred to these people that God may have intentionally put numerous contradictions and teachings of bigotry in the Bible to test his followers to see if they could differentiate between the truth and red herrings.  

Cirosan

Misumi Kuro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 am
Christians have to Cherry Pick from the bible, which in their very hearts is admitting there is no God or Mythras...oh I mean Jesus Christ.

As for Christians who claim the Old Testaments do not count, Jesus can be quoted for saying it still does matter because it is the word of God. Not only that but Jesus believed every story of the Old Testament and vocalized or well the writers put in that he strongly believed in the bloodshed and mass murder that was Noah's Ark.

The anti-gay statements are mostly in the new testament, there aren't too many but there are enough to know that it says Homosexuals are "Worthy of Death"

Second only to Islam, Christianity is the most evil and violent religion out there. I await it's destruction so that Humanity and Freedom in Peace may prevail.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:39 am
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Yeah, but Jesus hardly knew the New Testament would be written because of him. amirite!? It's not up to Jesus to chose how to interpret his life, it's up to the cardinals.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 pm
Most don't mention the part before that little bit in Exodus that lists guidelines for selling your daughter into slavery. I've mentioned it at least twice before in this guild, and I always do whenever the Bible and homsexuality come up. It's a great example of what everyone else ahs been saying about picking and choosing, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:10 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Yeah, but Jesus hardly knew the New Testament would be written because of him. amirite!? It's not up to Jesus to chose how to interpret his life, it's up to the cardinals.

Respectfully I say you are poorly mistaken. As it says in the Bible so does it mean. If you give Christians the "Interpret" option, then every evil thing in the bible they will claim is misinterpretted. The way it is said in the bible is how it is. There is no interpretting it differently. It's there in black and white.  

Misumi Kuro

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:29 pm
You might be referring to Christianity in general, but I'm referring to Catholics in specific. I'm going to have to disagree with you about me being mistaken; Catholics, in general, tend to be very against literal interpretations. For them, it isn't just "black and white." As much as I know you'd like to see Catholics be as evil, bigoted, and spiteful as, say, the Westboro Baptist Church, the truth is that most just aren't like that.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:31 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
You might be referring to Christianity in general, but I'm referring to Catholics in specific. I'm going to have to disagree with you about me being mistaken; Catholics, in general, tend to be very against literal interpretations. For them, it isn't just "black and white." As much as I know you'd like to see Catholics be as evil, bigoted, and spiteful as, say, the Westboro Baptist Church, the truth is that most just aren't like that.

The mainstream are not the strict hardcore bible-goers. Which is very fortunate for the rest of the world, but once you deny something in the bible or their God you will see that hatred and anger in their hearts revealed. Some are better people than others, and some are better Christians than other. Fortunately the mainstream are better people, dumb or not.  

Misumi Kuro

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 pm
Also keep in mind that most Christians haven't read the Bible cover to cover, or if they have, haven't truly "read" what they were seeing.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:32 pm
User Image

yeah u didn't know?
i remember there was one time i watched from the news that the catholics or christians changed their bible....
and i was like, isn't the bible supposed to be god's words (in their interpretation)?
how can they just change it whenever they want to and however they want to?
but then again, i don't believe in god, so that's not my problem
lol.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:32 pm
They've been doing that for centuries. They constantly revise the Bible because or they pick and choose which rules they want to follow because society has changed and those "rules" are no longer acceptable by our standards.

For example Deuteronomy 13:6-15 says that if anyone doesn't obey the God or speaks to you about worshiping another God, they along with their entire village/town is to be put to the sword.

Another example: Deuteronomy 25:11-12 says that if a woman were to touch a man's genitals, even if it's her husbands, she is to have her hand amputated.

Last example: In Proverbs 13:24 and 19:18 says that beating the s**t outta your child/children is considered to be "good parenting".

I might have digressed a little with these examples, so I'll get back on track. If this is the holy book written by God which outlines what you're duties are as a Christian so you'll please God, you cannot pick and choose which rules/laws you want to follow just because it's no longer morally acceptable. It's like our laws today, I don't like some of them, I think some of them are a little absurd but I still have to obey them regardless, otherwise I might end up in prison.

Also, I am aware that most out there do not stick with a literal interpretation of their laws and such. I am just merely pointing it out.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:09 pm
I like how everyone's posts are exactly the same.  

Baron von Turkeypants

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff