Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Oh, my God!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:26 pm
I say "oh my god," "god damn it," "thank god," etc... there's nothing behind it; they're just expressions I use. XD

I also say "bless you" out of politeness with no religious meaning behind it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am
I try not to say it :] I use 'For stupidity's sake' and 'oh my non-existent deity' when I'm feeling cocky :] (or 'oh my freaking non-existent deity/god etc'). heehee.  

Liquid Robot

Niveous

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:18 pm
I now say "omg"

not oh my god

it sounds like (oh-mi-guh)
It is l33t speaking in the real world.

I don't care how lame it is....I loves it.

I still say oh my god sometimes. Nothing wrong with it. Same with "bless you"

On a side note..

Futurama's Bender once said "oh...your...god"

I rofflmao'd  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm
I enjoy saying things like, "******** Christ" "Jesus tap-dancing christ" my friends and I gave the "h" in "Jesus H. Christ" a name--that'd be Humphrey--I know, I know. It's wonderful.

But yeah, as far as being offensive goes, I own this shirt: Offensive?

Yes, that is Jesus having butt secks with Jesus--or christ if you want to be technical.

(( That makes me a little peeved...I just found out that if you don't capitalize the "c" in christ it shows up as mis-pelt....! ))

DivineBlindSoul

WritelySo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:43 am
Some expletives are just more obnoxious than others, and some situations call for more obnoxious expletives. There are the old standards like "Jesus ******** christ" (Which always brings to mind that photoshop image on that shirt that shows, well, jesus, ******** christ. Heh. Love it.) and "Jeezus H" and "OMFG." I like them, they are part of our culture and are actually not xian, IMO, since they are blasphemous, and blasphemy is fun.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:15 pm
same with "holy s**t"
xd  

Mr woman

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200

Dirty Dirty Shisno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 pm
Actually even when I was 8 and a devout christian I always said WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!? Whenever something went wrong or suprised me. Bless you never had a god in front of it in my town. Because of that whole lords name in vain thing. But every now and then I end up saying OH MY GOD! And inevitably someone will get offended and I will lie and say I said Oh MY god. Im a pastafarian. So I wasn't taking YOUR god's name in vain at all. Go screw yourself please and thank you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 pm
Almost the same thing as when my teacher found out i was atheist, he asked me in front of the entire class "swear to god"

i guess it just is habit that people have and the best thing you can do is ignore it, because i dont think its meaning to be rude or harmful.  

T3xtual Harassm3nt

b-asinine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 am
I say many religious comments but usually don't mean any religious connotation behind them... unless I'm being a smartass.

I say "Oh my God", "Good Lord", "Jesus ******** Christ", "Sweet Jesus", "Bless you", "Praise Jesus!" (if only when being sarcastic), and "Thank God."

But I also say things just like "Holy s**t", "FAIL", "Oh my Google!", "Oh my Science!", "Praise Allah!", "Oh your God!", "Christ on a pogo-stick!", etc.

And I have a shirt that says "I'm in your church, fondling your altar boys."

-b.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:44 am
User Image

you know, i actually experienced this problem...
before I moved to the States,
I had no trouble saying Oh my God.
And once I came here and met with friends (who are religious thus making me reinforce my stance as an atheist),
I started avoiding to say this phrase.
Every time it wants to slip, my brain, like, consciously holds my tongue,
and then I end up saying "Oh my gosh" instead.
but sometimes I still say it, and also "jesus christ".
I do say 'goddamnit', because that's using god's name in cursing (I have no problem with that 8D)
But well, after your reminding and reconsidering,
I think from now on I'll say...
"Holy F**k on a stick, yo."
"Holy Mother of Ramen!"
"Oh my goodness!" and
"Jesus F**king Christ"

LOL

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:58 pm
It's just a hard habit to break I guess...I used to get yelled at so I started using annoying phrases untill my parents let up.

"Oh my furry ears and wiskers!" (High pitched squeaky voice)

"May George/ Darwin have mercy on your soul"

"Prase Allah/Vishnu/Buddha...ect...

"Praise Satan" (It started as a joke in my journalism class when after saying it all the computer functions would begin to work...PERFECTLY...WTF?)

"Praise HEY ZEUS!"

And after any of these or whenever I was bored I would proceed to sing any song Cartman sang in the epic Christian rock episode..LMAO  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:00 pm
b-asinine
I say many religious comments but usually don't mean any religious connotation behind them... unless I'm being a smartass.

I say "Oh my God", "Good Lord", "Jesus ******** Christ", "Sweet Jesus", "Bless you", "Praise Jesus!" (if only when being sarcastic), and "Thank God."

But I also say things just like "Holy s**t", "FAIL", "Oh my Google!", "Oh my Science!", "Praise Allah!", "Oh your God!", "Christ on a pogo-stick!", etc.

And I have a shirt that says "I'm in your church, fondling your altar boys."

-b.

I have a Got Jesus? Tee-shirt ....my teachers/ parents HATE it.  

Crooked_Lamb

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces