Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Religious based government Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Relious based
  Yay
  Nay
  ~poll whore option [{(Neutral)}]~
View Results

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 am
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae
I'm not saying we should apply it to todays society. But in past societies this was a daily thing. Blind obedience to anything the head dude says is perfect for controlling large populations. And if you don't believe and obey, off with your head.
Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson.
Yeah, and look how far they progressed. Now look at societies like Athens and compare the two.
They will, in fact, calm up.

TEAL'C!!!!111!!11!!!!!111!
!!1 heart

That's it. Nothing productive to add to the conversation. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae
I'm not saying we should apply it to todays society. But in past societies this was a daily thing. Blind obedience to anything the head dude says is perfect for controlling large populations. And if you don't believe and obey, off with your head.
Yeah, and look how far they progressed. Now look at societies like Athens and compare the two.

They did progress pretty far, Athens was one of them.

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:51 pm
levis pennae
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae

Actually, although Greek Mythology (back then, a religion) was the main religion back then, and was a part of daily life, it was different. There was a pantheon of gods, and you could worship any which you want. Why do you think it's called Athens? Athena wasn't at the top of the pantheon, and they sure as hell didn't call it Zeuthens, but they named it after her because of a believed that Athena gave the best gift to them, instead of Poseidon. Anyway, although religion was a big part of their lives, their government wasn't a theocracy. It was a democracy. Ruled by the people, for the people.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:20 pm
Just because it was a democracy does not mean they didn't use religion as a political tool.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:36 pm
levis pennae
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae

That's precisely my point.

Quote:

Just because it was a democracy does not mean they didn't use religion as a political tool.

It does mean they did not use religion as an absolute grip on the society. Never did I say they did not use religion for their advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:46 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae
Baron von Turkeypants
levis pennae

That's precisely my point.

Quote:

It does mean they did not use religion as an absolute grip on the society. Never did I say they did not use religion for their advantage.

First one, I was confused above your point, sorry. The second one was for another person. But thank you for getting my points 4laugh

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:10 pm
Levis Pennae

I do not know whether or not they used religion as a political tool, but there is a difference between ancient Athens, and a theocracy. A theocracy is a government led by divine judgment, and is led by either a group of ruling priests, or a religious figure. Athens was not a theocracy, it was a direct democracy, and there is a difference.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:52 pm
I will give you major points for reading Dune.

I think that series really helped me move towards Atheism.  

Theophrastus

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Levis Pennae
That's completely against what I think. Religion based governments had some of the longest reigns in history. The Greeks, the Romans, and the Babalonians(?) just to name a few off the top of my head. These governments were peaceful and long lasting because they were based on religion. But this was also in a day when science was the religion, so there was no questioning it. These governments only fail when the religion was undermined, mostly by outside invaders. This type of government would not be able to be done today because we now know more than religion can explain.

There are two types of Theocratic governments to look at. Both were long lasting. One kind was peaceful and the other wasn't.

Some of them would take over territories, and allow the people living in those territories to continue to worship whatever gods they pleased. The Persians were well noted for that. They did well, because they didn't require people to convert and change their beliefs.

The other kind was different. It forced people, violently even, to change their religion, and convert. Those kind were long lasting, and sometimes peaceful. The difference is though that the people lived in fear. They didn't dare cause problems because they were afraid of being labeled heratics and being burned/tortured/ect.

Many of the current prominent religions existed in the past and they were part of the latter, who forced people to change in not so nice ways. Their reign was long, violent, and bloody. That is why I said, when you look to the past...it's just not a good idea.

With that I would like to whip out a very relevent quote said by one Ruth Hurmence Green. "There was a time when religion ruled the world. It was called the Dark Ages"

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff