Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Derren Brown - debunking Astrology

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:04 am
One of the simplest, most powerful cases against psychics and astrology I'd ever seen. The last participant's comments were utterly moving.

Enjoy.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:24 am
Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson.
I love watching things like those. I saw Criss Angel do the same thing recently.
They will, in fact, calm up.

Baron von Turkeypants

Redem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Derren Brown's shows are truly awesome at times.

One time, there was a huge live audience participation thing. Throughout the entire show he dropped subliminal messages, and at the end he replayed the parts where he dropped them, showing everyone just how he led the entire audience to choose the one thing he wanted them to pick out of a seemingly random choice.
It was truly awesome. A few times in the show I had... caught some mild cognitive dissonance, something that was wrong but I soon dismissed it and never pinned them down. The revelations at the end were amazing smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:42 pm
Theophrastus
One of the simplest, most powerful cases against psychics and astrology I'd ever seen. The last participant's comments were utterly moving.

Enjoy.

I must be tired...I read that as "against physics and astronomy". I couldn't help but wonder if you'd snapped.

I want to go to a psychic now, just to see how well I can see through it. I know a parlor across the street from my local mall, with palm readings and tarot cards and such. At the very least, it will be amusing...but on the other hand, I don't want to willingly give my hard-earned cash to a charlatan.  

ProjectOmicron88

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 am
ProjectOmicron88
Theophrastus

Enjoy.

I must be tired...I read that as "against physics and astronomy". I couldn't help but wonder if you'd snapped.

I want to go to a psychic now, just to see how well I can see through it. I know a parlor across the street from my local mall, with palm readings and tarot cards and such. At the very least, it will be amusing...but on the other hand, I don't want to willingly give my hard-earned cash to a charlatan.

Run off without paying whilst calling them a fraudulent hack?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:46 am
Redem
ProjectOmicron88
Theophrastus

Enjoy.

Enter the police. No thanks...I'll find people online who claim to be pah-sychic.  

ProjectOmicron88

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:14 am
ProjectOmicron88
Redem
ProjectOmicron88
Theophrastus

Enjoy.

Enter the police. No thanks...I'll find people online who claim to be pah-sychic.

Phfft. I'd like to see them prove they provided the service they claimed.
Just say that what they claimed was bullshit. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:49 pm
To have been born in the 20th century even, and believe in psychic readings is pure naivety. Aside from the fact that stars and other planets are way too far away to really have any actual impact on the way we think, or on the things we do is stupider than religion (or maybe not, I haven't really thought about it).

Kudos to Derren Brown, now I only wish that I could regularly watch his show, but the only BBC I have is BBC America, and I'm pretty sure they don't show it there.  

CaprinaePsi

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:39 pm
His shows usually run on channel 4, not the BBC.

Still, you can get them on youtube and google video and the like.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:38 pm
Redem

Thank you! -makes a note of checking Channel 4 in the very, VERY near future-  

CaprinaePsi

Matataur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:56 pm
I am curious as to what Darren Brown wrote in his 'predictions'. Being able to BS people into believing you know everything about them doesn't seem like a bad skill at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:01 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Theophrastus

Enjoy.

i did that once and she got so mad she threw me out. i got a refund to  

boyvirgo666

Dark Pieman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:05 pm
CaprinaePsi
Redem

Thank you! -makes a note of checking Channel 4 in the very, VERY near future-

Um, that's Channel 4 in the UK.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:26 pm
Hm, I'm unable to view it right now, unless it has subtitles for what is being said. I have no sound.

However, I can say without watching it that I am actually a believer in astrology, runes, tarot, and all that wonderful stuff that someone pointed out as being stupid. It may be an old method, but it still holds true to me, just because of the experiences I've had with it.  

BadLuckNovelist

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff