Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Gaia and author Michael Scott

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rohkaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:01 am
First, if you haven't already done so, you need to read this announcement.

I encourage every atheist here to try and make that interview if possible. It seems that writing a fantasy novel is not enough for Mr. Scott. Instead, he wants to market his fiction as "truth", not only luring the gullible into believing superstitious nonsense, but getting people to pay for it.

This is an official Gaia-sponsored event. Gaia is giving this peddler of superstition and fallacious pseudo-history his own spotlight to prey on the minds and pocketbooks of everyone here, including the youngest members of Gaia.

We need to be there to challenge Mr. Scott's false statements in support of this superstitious drivel thinly veiled as "historical fact", and after, we need each write letters of protest to Gaia for allowing this sort of indoctrination and profiteering through the propagation of lies to be put off on the members.

We need to step out of our little comfort zone of patting each other on the back about our atheism and feeling good about arguing with theist lightweights. This is the big, bad world of lies and superstition kicking in the door and pissing in your face. This is Gaia telling you it is OK to set reason aside and sell lies to youth. This is your battle and it is now. You have to ask yourself, do you have the mind and the will to stand up for reason, for skepticism, for atheism, and for the truth. Or should next week Gaia invite the Pope in to sell communion wafers?

It sounds like a joke? Well, it isn't funny. If we do nothing, this "writer" is going to come in and fill the minds of another generation of Gaian's with garbage, take their money, and rub our faces in it. If you do not do something, you say to him and everyone like him, it is OK. Go ahead and disregard the atheists. Not only are they sad because they don't have the love of god or magic powers like me, they can't even stand up for themselves.

If you can, be at that interview and ask tough questions. Keep your head, be rational, don't open your mouth without thinking, and don't be put off.

If you cannot be there, write a letter of protest to Gaia letting them know how you feel. Tell them you are offended that you are letting someone officially promote and market superstition both under the guise of truth and with Gaia's official blessing.

Research, post, and discuss. Look for threads where people may be discussing this author and his book. Look into the issue and challenge the fallacies being sold.

Don't be lazy. Don't think it doesn't matter. Today one guy selling alchemy, next week church services in the ED. Stop it now.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:08 am
Just to help give some clarification on what Mr. Scott needs to be challenged about:

1) Mr. Scott needs to admit that alchemy is not supported by any scientific evidence and is, in fact, superstition.

2) Mr. Scott needs to admit that there is no evidence to support the myth of Nicholas Flamel's having magical (alchemical) powers and immortality.

3) Mr. Scott needs to admit that his book was written as book of fiction for sale as entertainment and is not an historical text or factual accounting of history.

Don't let Mr. Scott or anyone else derail you from pointing out these simple yet important truths. And, if all possible, do not let Mr. Scott get off without addressing and owning up to these truths.  

Rohkaze

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:18 am
I wouldn't worry about it any place else, but Gaia seems to be a gathering place for easily altered minds. I'd imagine it'll have the same effect as the Discovery Channel pseudomentery on Dragons did.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:24 am
Hmm. Well, i've read the book "The Alchemist" by this one brazilian dude, and it was alright. I mean, it was something more like a self-help kind of thing but the story was ok. And he did say the book was fictional, however, later on he made another book that sounds pretty similar to the description of this one. Now... i think that even if some people take this "magical" world for granted... well, they're not even worth the effort of trying to make them think otherwise. I mean, if you're retarded enough to think that you could be immortal, make gold out of copper or make yourself one with an "element" (fire, water, wind or earth)... then is there really any hope of reasoning for these people?

On the other hand... Gaia doesn't give a s**t about any of this. If anything, it could turn a few heads in the cubicle of those that read our complaint letters and a "thanks for your concern" response.

That being said. I do want to know WHAT is it that they're going to reply to my complaint letter. twisted twisted Since i'm at work when he hits the chatroom anyway.  

AnonymouZ

Rohkaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:33 pm
AnonymouZ
Hmm. Well, i've read the book "The Alchemist" by this one brazilian dude, and it was alright. I mean, it was something more like a self-help kind of thing but the story was ok. And he did say the book was fictional, however, later on he made another book that sounds pretty similar to the description of this one. Now... i think that even if some people take this "magical" world for granted... well, they're not even worth the effort of trying to make them think otherwise. I mean, if you're retarded enough to think that you could be immortal, make gold out of copper or make yourself one with an "element" (fire, water, wind or earth)... then is there really any hope of reasoning for these people?

On the other hand... Gaia doesn't give a s**t about any of this. If anything, it could turn a few heads in the cubicle of those that read our complaint letters and a "thanks for your concern" response.

That being said. I do want to know WHAT is it that they're going to reply to my complaint letter. twisted twisted Since i'm at work when he hits the chatroom anyway.

Unfortunately, I have to be at work as well. I would love to be there to have this author come out and fully admit that what he is writing is a complete work of fiction.

And everyone is worth the effort of trying to inform and educate. Many of us have been deluded by superstitious indoctrination, often from our early childhood. You never know what becomes the key to freeing someone's mind. Beyond that, the more you let these seller's of superstition - everyone from author's who misrepresent the veracity of their books to religious demagogues - have their way with the world without resistance, the more they will move us towards a world completely ruled by superstitious extremism and farther from a world governed by rationality and science.

Sometimes the return for our efforts is small, sometimes it is hard to know the effect we have when we speak up for the truth, and sometimes making the effort isn't always fun or exciting. But, making the effort is important. Scientists of the past had to sacrifice their lives for the truth. I am more than willing to sacrifice a few minutes for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:46 pm
xd You're passionate little fella, aren't ya?

User ImageI'll be rootin' for ya.

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:59 pm
Um... sweatdrop I'm going to take the role of antagonistic b*****d.

Dude, it's alchemy. And it's quite obvious that his book is fiction. rolleyes I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Anyhow, I think it's fun! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:18 am
Meirelle
Um... sweatdrop I'm going to take the role of antagonistic b*****d.

Dude, it's alchemy. And it's quite obvious that his book is fiction. rolleyes I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Anyhow, I think it's fun! mrgreen

I would say, "Dude, it's mythology! It's quite obvious the Bible is fiction! Nothing to worry about!" Heh, heh. Except that people seem to be easily confused when you start adding disclaimers like 'Based on a true story.' or statements akin to that.

I just want a clear statement by the author that what he is writing is fiction. If he is not willing to state that, then Gaia is officially sponsoring the marketing of superstitious belief, and that is something we, as skeptical, rational atheists , should not want to see.

Look, I love fantasy stories and mythology. I could read fantasy and mythology all day long. And, I am more than willing to buy good stories by authors of fantasy and mythology. It is fun. I do enjoy it. But, I do not want the line blurred between what is real and what is fantasy. I don't want some confused kid wasting his life trying to figure out how he is magically going to turn lead to gold and become immortal. Along with that, I don't want to see mythology and history confused. What may seem like a little trickery today for the sake of marketing can become a big issue later on if left unchecked.

It's not alchemy I worry about; makes for some interesting fiction. It's the selling of lies that I worry about. We have enough of that as it is. And I worry about Gaia becoming a new market for that kind of exploitation.

Thanks for your thoughts, though. I love dialogue, even when someone has a view counter to my own. Keep thinking and keep speaking.  

Rohkaze

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 pm
From the announcement; "Building on the true tale of Nicholas Flamel, one of history's greatest alchemists, the novel weaves fact and fantasy into a thrilling read[.]"

I'm not that worried. I mean, the monthly collectible a while back was a magical tome that gave the user magic familiars, so I think they're just wanting to cash in on a successful theme.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games