Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So I was teaching Christianity to this girl, and... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

reverie0312

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 am
ZeeFishee
Get a job. Tell your parents you want to earn money for college, since it's only a year away.

This is the best idea I've heard yet, because it would probably actually work.

But I've tried having a job, and I went insane trying to ace my AP classes and do my debate work at the same time. My grades dropped, and it didn't work out, so I quit.

A good idea in theory, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:00 am
Fairyfly
I feel horribly guilty, because I'm teaching these kids things that I don't believe. Even with a very liberal interpretation, I can't escape some of the crap that's in the Bible/accepted church doctrine. For instance, we're all sinful and can't hope to save ourselves, sexual "purity" until marriage is the only option, talking to invisible guys in the sky is a good way to heal your dying grandmother, you should evangelize, etc.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for extricating myself from this unhappy situation?

I've been in your situation. Send a friends request if you'd like to discuss this at length, then send me a PM.

In brief: the earlier you "come out," the happier you'll be five years from now; quit the church mentoring/kid brainwashing especially. The short-term'll be decidedly rough, but a few more months of comfort isn't worth regretting your actions for the rest of your life. 'Specially not when you meet a kid you brainwashed five years from now and they've become college-aged evangelist brainwashers themselves.  

Angsty Shem

Dark Pieman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:36 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
It's nothing to feel too guilty about..

Christianity, if properly taught, can also be a useful way to instill good morales and respect for others into the young ones. It's when you have far-right nut-job preachers doing nothing but telling them they're right and to push their beliefs on everyone else that we have a problem.

Since they're coming up in that kind of environment anyway, if anything, you're helping them. cool

Yeah, that's totally right. You're not messing up people's lives or anything, you could actually teach some good morals.

Don't feel bad about it!

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces