Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Communicating atheism to others

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matataur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:50 am
Sure, religion is absurd and all-too-easy to make fun of, but is it really necessary to polarize religion and atheism by making jokes and getting into pointless arguments?

I see why some would want to persuade others away from organized religion, but there are too many road blocks in the form of immature atheists.

You know who I'm talking about. That one person who feels superior as an atheist, who thinks atheism is an exclusive "club" that is only for the cool kids, that idiot who instead of presenting a more rational way of life, teases and mocks religious people and only succeeds in making them hold on tighter to their beliefs.

I'm NOT talking about those who are loud and proud of their atheism, who fight politically for atheists, or those who make atheism part of their identity, I mean those who believe religious people are inferior intellectually to atheists.

Simply put, are there enough atheists who can patiently and empathetically communicate the value of atheism to the public?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 am
Are there? I think there are. They're all just in hiding, to avoid the persecution that open atheism presents, exactly because of those juveniles who poke fun at religion for the sake of doing it.
Now, I do do that. But only if I am attacked first. So it is a defensive measure.
If asked nicely, then I shall be nice.  

Superior Jazz

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:30 pm
I think most atheists who really know what it means to live a life free of false belief don't bother trying to convert people, because all the evidence is present anyway. If an intellectual observer can piece together all the clues, so much the better.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:54 pm
I never try to convert people or argue religion, unless it's a formal debate, or they are trying to convert me.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Matataur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:37 pm
Superior Jazz
Are there? I think there are. They're all just in hiding, to avoid the persecution that open atheism presents, exactly because of those juveniles who poke fun at religion for the sake of doing it.
Now, I do do that. But only if I am attacked first. So it is a defensive measure.

Unfortunately, as a religious minority, you need to have more patience and tact than the theistic majority, or else they'll spin your words and hold on even more firmly to their beliefs.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:54 pm
Matataur
...I mean those who believe religious people are inferior intellectually to atheists.

mrgreen That's me.

Not that I'd ever say it to the face of any theist, unless they asked for it both literally and figuratively. But I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I do feel there is a connection between one's ability to use logic and reason and one's spirituality. Sure theists can make good grades, think citically, and be vary creative, but like a physics genius who thinks breaking a mirror will give you seven years bad luck, they're really just gifted fools. As I said, I don't go around saying this to theists, but I don't think it a rash or stereotypical conclusion.

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:06 pm
I've tried talking to people about atheism and the evils, contradictions and inconsistencies of organized religion intelligently. However, I never do it to convert people, I've only done it as part of a debate or when the other person was smack talking me and after numerous kind words to please stop, they wouldn't.

Of course, most of the time, my words fall on deaf ears and they don't listen to a word I have to say (even though I listened to them) and just repeat the same stuff over and over again.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:21 pm
I think that most of us atheists probably should be subtle about our philosophies. I'm anti-theistic and atheist, just new at it so bear with me. I do think that having a corrosive attitude towards those who practice religions would be detrimental to the education of atheism as we already have a bad image on us.
I most certainly don't like theists trying to shove their ideas down my throat so I would say the same for atheists. I think that most people have an image of an atheist being cold, cocky and arrogant amongst some other things and that stereotype hurts us.

Athesta  

Athesta

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:50 am
Matataur
Superior Jazz

Unfortunately, as a religious minority, you need to have more patience and tact than the theistic majority, or else they'll spin your words and hold on even more firmly to their beliefs.

I'm usually very tactful in my assaults... I mean... words... ninja  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff