Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
They're convinced I am Christian. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:41 am
people at my church think i'm a good christian cause i'm so nice (well i am)
wow once i leave my parents and leave that church
i wonder what they're going to think if they found out I was atheist?

haha funny if i'm on some debating tv show
and one of them is watching it
Me: "I'm an atheist ..."
Familiar Christian Buddy: "WHAT?!?! Oh no! Dear Heavenly father, may you guide poor Scott in your path .... in jesus name we pray. amen."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:26 pm
Tell them the way things are.

>:l

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:35 pm
Once when I was younger I was at the hospital and I was going to get a bunch of blood tests and I was really nervous about it. My mom got up and went to the bathroom or something, and I was left alone in the waiting room with this middle aged woman.

She asked me what was wrong, I told her, and then she started going all religious on me.

Her: ...we all have our crosses to bear, like Jesus, find strength in the Lord...

Me: neutral I'm just getting some blood drawn actually....

Her: *tries to hand me a rosary*

Me: Thanks, but my family is Lutheran, and I'm athiest.

Her: confused

I find it odd that people automically assume that I'm Christian. It's either Catholic, Lutheran, or for some reason, some variety of Paganism. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:03 pm
Koravin
That doesn't happen to me, but I know people that's happened to. They're nice, caring, generous, smart, responsible, punctual, everything good, so they must be Christians, because obviously only Christians can be good people. It pisses me off. Since when did Christians have the market on good behavior? And since when did being Christian make you a good person? Are all other faiths and philosophies just terrible? It's so conceited, I get really ticked.

I got quite ticked about this today, actually. It was my grandma's funeral, and the pastor from her church was talking, and she gave this speech about how good of a person my grandma was, but she ended it by saying "and all of this was possible because she believed in God."  

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:10 am
confused Ugh.

I am actually convinced that my boss is an atheist. Which is pretty cool considering I live in the Bible Belt of the USA.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:12 am
Ever been to a catholic funeral for a person who left the church? cry It's the most depressing thing in the world...basically they stand around and try not to mention that she's 'burning in hell'....  

a390984092ff

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 pm
Although I haven't really been thought of as a Christian by others, I think I kinda match your own self description. I too enjoy classical music and religious choirs (although I feel that not understanding the Latin lyrics adds a nice bit of mystery to the piece,) enjoy reading, and get good grades. I'm sure people I know assume, but don't actually tell me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 pm
I'm not a prolific reader but I do have a few favorites I picked up in literature class. I don't watch much TV either (do they seriously THINK I have the time for it?! just think about my workload!) and I AM an A student, as well.

I don't listen to classical CLASSICAL music but I do have a few piano/instruments-only soundtracks.

Yes, atheist kids can be good kids as well, surprise surprise.

You should sue your boss. scream  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Nardone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 am
Haha i love it when people think that in order to be a good person you need to have religion.. Someone actually told me that religion makes people into better people.. i told them no.. it makes them into manipulative idiots.. But that thing with your job.. if they didnt give you a good reason you could sue them..
I believe that we are all born good people.. but the way people grow up turns them into judgmental morons.. Thats most of the catholics for you..  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff