Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Churches using Halo 3 to attract kids Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:08 pm
Tchaik
That is just ridiculous.

I've been to one of those youth recruitment things once, with one of my friends. It was rather frightening, because now that you point it out, they had Halo there too. It was the first Halo, I think, since this was years ago, but still, wow.

The church I used to go to was better at disguising these kind of things. They used apple picking, bowling, Chinese food, and movie nights to get kids to come. Even when I was little, I only went for the activities and then zoned out during the sermons.

I happen to like Halo, but if a church near me was offering, I'd go play, then just tell them at the end, "Sorry, I don't fall for that kind of crap."  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 pm
I love Halo.

And I find it hilarious that Churches are using it to recruit.

They aren't very religious in the Halo Universe in 2552 I'll tell you that razz .

There are A LOT of religious under tones, but they can be interpreted differently. I mean, you're fighting a fanatical alien collective that has this delusion of a life afterwards...

You could relate it to Christianity, Islam, etc. It's universal almost.

Also, come on! THE FLOOD! THE ARK! What else...

Then again there are a crapload of Greek Mythology/Greek History under tones too. heart  

Jessica Malatori

Sergeant CJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:16 pm
Death God Hitsugaya
Tchaik
That is just ridiculous.

I've been to one of those youth recruitment things once, with one of my friends. It was rather frightening, because now that you point it out, they had Halo there too. It was the first Halo, I think, since this was years ago, but still, wow.

The church I used to go to was better at disguising these kind of things. They used apple picking, bowling, Chinese food, and movie nights to get kids to come. Even when I was little, I only went for the activities and then zoned out during the sermons.

I happen to like Halo, but if a church near me was offering, I'd go play, then just tell them at the end, "Sorry, I don't fall for that kind of crap."
Dude I would totally do that too?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:34 pm
Meanwhile, in Cirosan's brain...

A lone man used as a metaphor for abstract thought sits at a computer terminal inside a military compound sealed with a fence lined with barbed wire. He takes a glance at the clock, only to see that the numbers once displaying the time in a serene green have gone blood red.

"Oh your God," He murmurs, and a split-second after he does an alarm goes off, baring a horrifying screech through every available speaker. The computer that was functioning perfectly a moment ago has been compromised, now displaying "SYSTEM FAILURE" in bold letters.

A voice whispers out though a telecommunications monitor. "Common sense," A man wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the words "Hope in Humanity" beckons, "We've had a containment breach! Repeat, we've had a major containment breach! You've got to close the gate!"

Common Sense looks at the man, and sees that through the other monitors piles of dead bodies have lined the compound. "We're dropping like flies down here!" Hope in Humanity cries, "Use the manual override! You have to close the gate!"

Common Sense darts his head around, looking for any resistance, before flinging open the door and sprinting out as fast as he could.

I have so many objections to this I could write volumes. I would if I had the time. Instead, I'll just voice what I think are the chief ones.

Firstly, if Christians were doing their job correctly, the people would come to them. Take Martin Luther King, Jr., for example: His movement that eventually lead to one of the biggest triumphs for human rights was hardly advertised at all. When it first began, people spread it by word of mouth and handed out fliers, and they didn't have to for long. I'd be willing to wager that 80% of the supporters came because they were attracted to his message and wanted to help, not because they had been lured by tantalizing promises of gifts. Simply put, if you're actually doing something good, the people will come to you without bribery. Therefore, by using Halo 3, you forfeit that you're doing nothing good. Moving on...

It is a disgrace to the developers and publishers of Halo 3, Bungie Corp., to use their game in such a way. Never did they intend for it to be used as bait for susceptible children. I mean, typically, grown men luring children to their homes with promises of video games is illegal, but that's beside the point. Halo 3 is meant to be enjoyed with no strings attached (aside from the purchasing cost), not to be exploited by some malevolent organization to brainwash children and gain power. Moving on...

Following my earlier point about exploiting the game, I believe Halo 3 is for the people, not for you. You're exploiting the game's cost and capitalism itself by using the market against the public. Not only is that un-American, it is theft, which you know all too well that your God frowns upon ("Thou shalt not steal."). Because of this, you are not only betraying your country but your God as well. Let's review:

* You're doing nothing good.
* You're exploiting the works of hard-working developers.
* You're luring children to you with promises of video games.
* You're indoctrinating and brainwashing said children.
* You're undermining capitalism.
* You hate America.
* You're disobeying God's word.
* You hate God.

Therefore, you lose.  

Cirosan

lawlz im so DEAD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:19 pm
Pfft, that's pathetic that a church is doing that. Geez.

It makes me think of this church near me that has this big facility that I feel is a brainwashing center. I think it's called "The Rock" or something like that, but it's CRAZY. They have this center especially for young adults and then there's the kids area. It doesn't really make much of a difference, but they have a this crazy game room, anything a kid wants, they have it. They have local bands play, mostly of course, christian rock bands. Then they have like entertainers come in. I remember this guy I went out for like a few weeks took me on a date there. Mainly 'cause his friend was playing that night, but anyway so I was just kind of scared the whole time. He told me that whenever he left or something, the chaperones would be asking him why and if he was going to come back. You remember that episode of The Simpsons with that cult? Basically just like that. It was creepy.

But you know what? They couldn't get me. But they had me make an account there, it sucks 'cause every now and then they'll send me something in the mail. >.<

This is the site for the place:
The Rock

It may look like some pimped-out regular hangout, but it's actually a youth center, or a brainwashing facility. Eek.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:48 pm
I find this rather disturbing. Halo 3 is not meant for kids, or even teenagers the way I look at it.

It is a violent game. What in the world are those churches thinking? X-box and X-box360 in general are meant for older, more mature audiences. Not kids...

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:03 pm
I think it's going a little far to call it exploitation of the companies, but it's no less horrid.

I'd hope at the very least, the youth programs involved in doing this are at least making it a point to condemn the game's aspects of violence and cruelty. Otherwise, the kids learn it like children's games.

To use a blunt analogy:
"Ring Around the Rosy" becomes "BOOM! Headshot!"  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:36 pm
I can see why they used Halo3, last time i checked the rabid halo fans were only getting larger in number, so i think its a kinda smart thing from a marketing point of view, but its shallow as ********.  

Ironfrost77

Zekeachu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:13 am
If the church that my parents occasionaly drag me to has a Halo night (doubt it), I'd go, even if I had to sit through the rest of it. I mean, it's HALO. Which I like. Even though I'm only 13 and I don't have a 360. Yay for my friend's brother's 360. But yeah, it's pretty sad. I can imagine an advertisement for it now.

Does church seem a little boring to you? Well, NOT ANYMORE! COME TO *insert church name here* AT *insert church address here* FOR SOME AWESOME FUN! LOAD THOSE BATTLE RIFLES, AND GO DISH OUT SOME PAIN! THAT'S RIGHT HALO 3 AT YOUR LOCAL CHURCH! and afterwards enjoy a thrilling sermon  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:03 pm
That is soooo freaking low, I love halo 3, although im not as good as everyone else who have played the series for over 3 years and I hate the first person shooter aspect were you can see very little of the game around you.....so low sweatdrop  

Asterisk07

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:53 pm
... okay, you know what? ******** IT. There's nothing I can say. I tried thinking of something witty, or something intellectual... but no, I'm just totally flabbergasted. See? See what this is doing to me? WHO THE HELL SAYS FLABBERGASTED ANYMORE!?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:32 pm
I'm disturbed, but not surprised. A guy I dated in high school was so proud at one point because his church was building a new youth center and they were going to include X-Box systems (note: plural!) and many other unnecessary and perhaps inappropriate items that may be used to entice youngsters.

I'm also disturbed by the person on the first page saying that Christians don't believe in bacteria. The last time I checked, the vast majority of Abrahamic-religion-believing people I know had no problem accepting the existence of bacteria.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:37 pm
There's a church no less than a half hour from my house that has a room for laser tag. confused  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff