Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
I don't understand . . .

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

On anime art, your opinion is?
like it/it's ok.
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
hate it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
ambivalent/no opinion
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
love it
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:41 pm
I really don't understand all the negativity about anime/manga artworks. It's not so much a Gaia thing (Gaia being sort of based on anime after all), but it's at so many other communities. I just don't see how they think anime isn't art.

Anyhow, I'd like to know other opinions on the subject. What do think of "anime art"? Is it art in the first place? Why do you think people are so unaccepting of it?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:24 pm
I'm ok with anime art. I don't love it to death though. Like many other aspiring artists out there I've been influenced by anime art all my life (been watching anime since I was a little kid) and it's so natural to just keep going back to the same old style: big eyes, button nose, tiny mouth etc. But I'm trying very very hard to break out of it because I want to develop my original style. Over time I realised that I should create an identity and style of my own and quit trying to emulate anime artists. You do realise that after a while the look and style is kinda homogenous and I don't want that, I want something original and something that's uniquely me 3nodding

As for why people tend to bash anime art, it's probably because it has a negative connotation about the artist being a childish japanophile ("yay i hate raw food but i love sushi, i threw out my bad for a tatami mat because it makes me more japanese, whee i loooove anime don't you, i will move to japan one day!") etc. And sadly for most of the anime artists (including everyone from the pros to the amateurs) out there, it's actually quite true, you'll find them anywhere neutral I can see where some of that annoyance from non-anime loving people come from.

And yes I do think anime is a work of art 3nodding But it's a very Japanese thing and although we might be influenced by it I think it'll be great if we can break out of the influences that we have and create our own styles. I'm trying very hard to shift from anime style to something a tad more realistic. I also realised that anime cel style art is very simplistic and I tend to go for more elaborate things, I also gradually realised I didn't like oversized eyes which take up 3/4 of my character's face sweatdrop It's good to start out emulating the works of other people but if you want to become a successful artist in future and create your own comic, graphic novels and whatnot, you really need a style of your own 3nodding  

Naiadrisa

Sinequan_150mg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:04 pm
I like anime. I guess some people just can't stand the chibi looks of some of it. To them it may look too childish of unrealistic. Lately the besy cartoons I have seen have been animes. I practice drawing anime frequently. I hope to maybe someday do something with the anime artwork ideas that I produce as a side project. I enjoy drawing anime, but it is kind of a challenge.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:48 am
I really like anime style art, and most of my work is heavily influenced by it. Whether or not you believe it's an artform in itself depends on your definition of art. There are elitists who believe that graffiti art and comics are'nt artforms either, maybe because they're heavily stylized so people think they are easy to create? I believe they are all forms of art, and know first hand how hard they are to do.

Maybe the negativity is due to how hyped up anime and anime style art is at the moment? There are plenty of people who will diss something purely because its too 'mainstream'.

But, as much as I love anime art, I think its important to explore other styles as well, especially for people who want to become some kind of commercial artist. 3nodding  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:50 pm
*Aaargh, I just typed up a response and the server ate it! stressed

Naiadrisa: good god . . . those "japanophiles" give the anime art community a bad name. sweatdrop As for styles . . . Anime itself is a genre with many different styles in it. (For example . . . Peacemaker and Sailormoon: very, very different styles and hard to mistake for each other).

Sinequan_150mg: Maybe people should do more research before assuming all anime is the same? sweatdrop

Chisa: True, but wouldn't people who automatically hate hypes be the same as ones who jump on the bandwagon?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:27 pm
I know alot of people that hate anime artwork. I always snap at them though when they b***h about it xp  

Better of Two Evils

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:33 am
Kitsunehime
Chisa: True, but wouldn't people who automatically hate hypes be the same as ones who jump on the bandwagon?

Yes, thats how I think of it. But they seem to believe they are being 'alternative' xp  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:15 pm
J0EL
I know alot of people that hate anime artwork. I always snap at them though when they b***h about it xp

Snapping doesn't help. sweatdrop I am trying to understand why they hate it instead (too many of them to complain . . . ).  

Kitsunehime

That Crazy Botvinnik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:23 pm
Well, I personally like it. What's wrong with it? It's art!

Naiadrisa
As for why people tend to bash anime art, it's probably because it has a negative connotation about the artist being a childish japanophile ("yay i hate raw food but i love sushi, i threw out my bad for a tatami mat because it makes me more japanese, whee i loooove anime don't you, i will move to japan one day!") etc. And sadly for most of the anime artists (including everyone from the pros to the amateurs) out there, it's actually quite true, you'll find them anywhere neutral I can see where some of that annoyance from non-anime loving people come from.

Grr...JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO LEARN JAPANESE DOESN'T MEAN I AM A JAPANOPHILE!!!!
Nor am I a pediophile/***** (sp?). I SAID THAT I AM NOT!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:14 pm
Lord_Michieru
Well, I personally like it. What's wrong with it? It's art!

Naiadrisa

Grr...JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO LEARN JAPANESE DOESN'T MEAN I AM A JAPANOPHILE!!!!
Nor am I a pediophile/***** (sp?). I SAID THAT I AM NOT!

No need to shout. sweatdrop I think she means the people who take it to the extreme . . . i.e., think nothing beats Japan, want to move there ASAP, insist on Japanese mannerisms even in other countires . . . etc.  

Kitsunehime

hello hoshi

6,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:33 pm
Anime art is wonderful o_o
for several reasons.
It's based on something different then our art. And anime is from japan.

Anime art can also represent moods that are too hard to produce in a regular art work.
It's really something to appreciate. n_n

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:48 am
personal I like it and I tend to draw in that style... then again, I am also in a group of 3 girls who are working on creating a comiv books done in that style that we will be publishing sometime next year...so... yeah sweatdrop  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:39 pm
Hoshi Chitose: Actually, any art style can depict any mood -- some just take too much effort to be worth the effect. sweatdrop

Raine Dragon: Good luck with your book!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:46 pm
I dont like anime, but I've never said it's not art and never will say it's not art.

It's just not something I'm into, but I think alot of my dislike for it was spawned from people I know being so obsessed with it, and so stuck on the subject of it that I ended up just wanting to kill it.  

My Paper Heart

Kitsunehime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:35 pm
jessiuntalented
I dont like anime, but I've never said it's not art and never will say it's not art.

It's just not something I'm into, but I think alot of my dislike for it was spawned from people I know being so obsessed with it, and so stuck on the subject of it that I ended up just wanting to kill it.

Well, anime is getting rather popular, so I guess I understand how some fans can get on one's nerves. sweatdrop  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games