Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My parents say I'm not old eniough to choose if I want to... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tchaik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:00 pm
Meet me in outer space.
-User Image-

My dad pulled that card on me when I came out to my parents.
I responded with, "When you were young, you believed in a god, right? What makes your theistic decision at that age any more viable then my atheistic one at my age?"
(or something along those lines. I was like, 15)
My mom agreed with me, and I won.
Wheeeeee~

-User Image-
I will hold you close,
if you're afraid of heights.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:18 pm
Logic is much more effective than fighting. don't just sit and protest, you have to actually get through to your parents about why you don't believe in God.
My grandfather always says, you kill more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Logic is a reasonable person's greatest weapon. while for years religions have threatened to smite those who stand against them, we have a simple, logical argument that shows that we CANNOT be smote (is that right? smote? smited?) or harmed by a deity, since they don't exist. If you can give a valid argument and disprove the idea of God to your parents well enough so that they see your intelligence, you'll win.

They have faith. We have reason.  

OH NO ITS DEVO

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:49 am
EauJolie
"Follow God" they are making me go to church and conformation. sad How do I get out?

I'm just going to be blunt here and no offense to your parents but SCREW your parents. I mean seriously....I don't get the "typical" parents out there. You HAVE EVERY RIGHT to choose whatever religion you're going to follow in your life time. You only live once right so who in the hell are your parents to take that decision away from you? And you die only once so what should it matter what you do in your life time?

It pisses me off hearing about parents doing this to their kids ESPECIALLY when it comes to religion.

Now for a bit more rational side of advice here, although I'm christian and have never had to deal with this, knowing how most parents are, until the day you move out and live on your own, you either fight it, or suck it and pretend. That's really all you can do.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff