Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Short Story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheese. =d
  ZOMG! =d
  Meh.
  Dx NO!!!
View Results

UsakoTenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 pm
Um, well, this is my short story for my Language Arts class.

It took me a while to decided on what to write about. And when I had something started, I couldn't write anymore due to the fact that it started falling into a big never ending hole of 'no points.' and then I just kinda killed it by having the narrator interuping the story and starting a new one.

<.<;
I failed at it.

The new short story I created in the short stoy {0-0;;] helped me out a lot, though. Lately I hadn't really been to keen with writing, nor have I been able to write anything that I felt....okay with. And, I may post it later, it's really short so, I wouldn't understand why not.

Then, last night I started working on this, and I felt really proud of it, kinda, for some reason. I guess since it's not just a paragrapgh or two long, and it's also one of the newest peices since Depressing Love and the Ark,Kra and me, part...urm....I dunno.

Failure.

Disappointment.

And myself.

We where gathered in my living room.

“I’m always here, the two of us, in fact! How come you act so happy with life and alright with the world, if we’re here now?”

Failure had given me a look. And what look did he give me, you may wonder? Well a look filled with failure itself, of course. He then sighed, apparently annoyed with me.

Never would I have guessed that an emotion could not only feel the emotion it is, but also the other emotions there are in life.

Then, Disappointment gave a whack at me, “Honestly! You
really need to stop acting this way. It’s so stupid!”

I merely sighed, staring down at the floor.

“Stop that!” Disappointment bickered. “Stop acting so negative! Stop looking at everything you’ve worked on as being useless. Stop it all!”

Apparently Disappointment suffered from anger management.

“…If….if you don’t want to be here, then you should just leave! Go already!” I spoke; my voice had been louder than I had intended it to be.

“Oh! Now you don’t go and try to bring Anger in our conversation in here, brat!” Disappointment yelled.

“ME!? You’re the one who’s-!”

“The two of you, be quiet!” Failure spoke, sounding even more annoyed. “Arguing isn’t the one who’ll help us!”

“Maybe she or he will, though?” I had suggested. “Or why not let’s get Agreement in on our talk?”

“Oh, you have a lot to learn! Agreement isn’t who you think she is!” Disappointment spoke again, her voice filled with hate.

“She’s right.” Failure said.

“Well, now that you’ve agreed won’t she come?” I asked, a little curious to meet her.

“Oh, no. Agreement won’t come to our agreeing. If emotions came to emotions, then the job would be too difficult!” Failure spoke again. He looked around, and took a seat onto my couch. I then too, sat down, on one of the nearby stools.

“But, how do you all get to everyone? Others are also feeling as though they’ve failed in their lives and, or disappointed.” I asked.

“Yeah, go ahead and mention FAILURE first! You like him better than me! Well, humph, I don’t care!” Disappointment turned her back on us, though I still felt as though her angry eyes were on me.

“Ah, well,” Failure began, paying no mind to Disappointment. “We have our ‘assistances’ or our ‘interns’. Though there’s only one of each emotion, there are as many workers, senders, whatever you want to call them, as we need.” No longer did he seem to be annoyed.

“Oh, ok.” I spoke.

“Hm….” He smiled at me.

“What? What is it?” I tilted my head to one side.

“You had smiled. You felt better for a moment, didn’t you?”
Then I realized it, he had been right.

“Disappointment! Can you feel that? I’m not-!” I had turned my head to look at her, but no longer was Disappointment there. “-disa…..pointed…..any more….”

I understood then. She had left because no longer did I call out to her. True she could probably have stayed to make me feel bad, but she hadn’t. Though, a tad over mad, she was alright, I supposed.

“So…Failure, does this mean you’re going to leave now, too?”

“Sadly, no. Not until you get these ridiculous thoughts out of your mind!”

I turned back to face him, “Well then, I guess you better move your home into mine, or nearby, Failure, because you’re all I think and feel.”

Realizing that my words sounded like they came straight from a cheesy love book, I frowned, wondering if he’d taken it the wrong way.

Greatly though, he didn’t, “But why?”

“Because, being alive means this: You feel and you die. I can feel hatred, sadness, confused, failure, happiness, and so much more! But I feel failure the most though, because I’ll always make mistakes everyday until I am of no existence. The biggest mistakes I have made, I look back to for guidance and for reference, for support and sometimes laughter. Even if I have accepted the fact that I am to make mistakes, I am still going to feel failure. I’m still going to believe that most of my ‘hard work’ is failure, because I do not try as hard as I should, or as hard as I can. That’s because even if doing my best, I can and will most likely, fail. And when the moment comes that I feel satisfied, then may you leave until the next moment.”

He said nothing, but merely stared at me, his smile had left quite a while ago.

“And at this moment…Now do I feel satisfied, in some way….”

His smiled returned, and I realized that he was starting to fade away, as how the color fades from a blue shirt after being washed several times. “May that be for you, but would you like to know what failure really is?”

I nodded my head.

“Failing is not when one doesn’t win or accomplish their goal with effort. Failing is when someone gives up on their dreams. You say you don’t try your hardest at times, but I believe that you do.

Because when you want to push yourself further on, to widened your goals or to succeed in bigger dreams, you are trying your hardest and nor are you failing. You are hoping.”

“But I….don’t understand.” I wondered if he’d continued on, to explain more.

“Believing you have failed is different from failing.”

“So, you aren’t Failure, are you?” I asked.

“No, I am of dreaming, of wants, of goals. I am Hope.”

“Hope?” Why had Hope, come to my aid? I pondered.

“Yes, Hope. You hope to succeed in your life. You hope to conquer failure, though you know you can not.”

“But…Why did you tell me of failure?” I questioned him.

“When one believes they have failed, don’t they usually hope to have not? They hope to fix their failed attempts. You’re one of these
people.

Hope, though it can be as cruel as hatred, as cruel as love, as cruel as death, or as cruel as failure because of its misguidance, it can also be the greatest being in all of our lives. It brings us back on our feet when we have fallen, and back on to the ladder so we can try to climb towards the top of the skies, where our dreams are at, waiting to be accomplished.”

And with that, though Hope still has remained in my heart, he had left to go help some other person in need, just how he had helped me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:25 pm
That was an interesting perspective on human nature, but it felt a bit scatty at times. Otherwise it was a lovely dialogue, keep up the good work.  

NovaKing

UsakoTenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:27 pm
Thank you Nova. ^-^

Does scatty mean confusing? Because about 5 people told me they were confused by it. Or is scatty like another word for scattered, or sketched? *Shrugs* Or does it mean choppy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:40 pm
Failure.

Disappointment.

And myself.

Story of my life.

Anyway, I like how you personified these things. The whole thing struck me as a really in-depth metaphor.  

Voxxx

UsakoTenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:49 pm
Nawe, I'd give you a hug, but I'm not quite sure if that'd help. ><;

Thank you for the comment. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 pm
<33333333333

Cuuute.

My life too! *highfives Voxxx*  

KirbyVictorious

Sors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:01 pm
Sors
Oh... Well that's quite interesting. biggrin I like it a bunch!
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:46 am
Thank you Kirby and Sors for the comment. ^-^  

UsakoTenshi

Spastic waffles
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 am
I posted a comment about this, but I guess the stupid library computer didn't work.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something along the lines of...

This was great personification. You portrayed the characters really well. I especially liked how Failure turned out to be Hope in the end.

...but my original comment was much better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:22 pm
>w<; Thank you, Spastic Waflles. Some how, I wasn't expecting Failure to be Hope, but it made me all happy inside when I decided to make him~! And horray for personification!

mad Grrr to the stupid library computer!

UsakoTenshi

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff