Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Must I be respectful? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koravin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 pm
Dark Pieman
Kiyrugoji
Dark Pieman
Does it bother you that much? It makes them happy, and it's not like it's offending your religious beleifs! biggrin

GET NAKED FOR JESUS.

Seriously, it is. I know that if people attempted to force me to pray to Satan or G.I. Joe or God or thatoneguyonpage415ofthebiblewhodidn'tdomuchofanthingbutwasjustsortathereyaknow, I'd be pissed off.

It's not not a big deal. You're not talking to anyone, so what's the harm? If someone refuses to make their family happy just to make a point and say "look at me, I'm an Atheist!" that's pretty dumb in my opinion.
You shouldn't have to pray to someone else's god just to make them happy. Christians would be pissed if we made them pray to Odin or somebody. Many people find it infuriating when someone else's beliefs and practices are forced upon them. No one should have to do that. It's perfectly reasonable to refuse to participate. I wouldn't be obnoxious about it, but I would be honest about the reasons if asked.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:01 pm
we rarely eat at the table, and when we do my parents never pray. it's just at christmas that it's a problem. then i sit with my head held high, saying nothing. i don't make a scene because i don't see the point. praying is pretty harmless, it's the two hours in church that pisses me off.

no one has bothered me about it yet, but if they did i don't think i would be "respectful"... if Satanism didn't involve magic, i would totally be part of it. i fail to see the point of respecting someone who doesn't deserve it. so yeah, i get called intolerant a lot, which doesn't bother me as there is a line between tolerance and respect.

besides, you should always be true to who you are. we atheists have nothing to be ashamed of (or maybe we do, but i don't know about it).  

Ruminating Skeptic

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm
How about if Magic didn't involve Satanism? Magic is cool, you get to hurl balls of fire, bolts of ice, summon elemental avatars to fight for you, conjure items, heal people, teleport to specific destinations. The only factor missing is it being real crying  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff