Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I came out to my mom on Thursday. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:33 am
Basically say something to her along the lines: "Look, Grandma. I love you and everyone in this family. I really do. But you are not going to change my mind. I'm a free thinker, and believing in a divine creator doesn't even make sense. Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean a big dude in the sky created it and everything around it. That's what scientists are for. We now know that the Black Plague was caused by a major disease and not the wrath of your "god" and other outdated beliefs religion perpetuates."  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:10 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
It's like being gay, without the liking guys part xd Glad to see your parents know that you won't tolerate being drowned in ignorance.

Wow, reading the whole thread makes me think of a blog I posted on my MySpace that was to be the beginning of my "A Paper On..." series. I called it "The Atheist Confession", and I made several points about it being just like coming out of the closet. O.o Link!  

OmG NoMoR3

Chris Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:25 am
I can't go to church anymore.

It makes me ******** furious.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 am
Everyone in my family - extended, etc - knows that I am gay. I am sure that most of them know I am atheist, but I have never told them directly. Generally if you are gay and come out, the nasty, religiously intolerant haters will just quietly cease to associate with you. If you are atheist, those religious nutbars will be proselytizing and praying over you and it's grotesque.  

WritelySo

CLR3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 am
I found it easier to get it early off of my chest as soon as possible. I told my parents about two to three years back. My mom and step-dad are more of the religious nut of the family (as well as most of her kinfolk). My mom was furious at first that I was an atheist, then started to slowly accept the idea that it's not much of a bad thing (or probably is in denial <__<). My dad didn't really care about me being one (since he's not that religious himself), he just prefers that I live my life to the fullest and not ruin it with drugs and alcohol. My grandma (on my mom's side) knows that I was an atheist beforehand and was pretty much accepting to it (since she's not very religious as well and I think she's an atheist-kinda weird that it was on my mom's side of the family). She also brought up that my great-grandfather before he died didn't believe much in religious dogma.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 pm
I have a really interesting story... I forget exactly what happened, but I was at church, talking to the preacher. Somehow, my beliefs came up, and he found out I was an atheist.

The result? Him yelling about hell. He yells to the whole church that I'm a devil worshiper. I just called him an ignorant, bigoted psychopath.

A week later, my friend comes out that she is an atheist. Another week later, and I've converted three other people who were curious as to why I was an atheist. That same week the preacher left the church. Keep in mind, this was a year ago, and I'm only fourteen. My parents are generally unaccepting however.  

Ajoli

Rishima Lowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 am
I haven't told anyone but my friends that I'm Atheist, my grandma and uncle would throw a fit if they knew. But I have another uncle that believes in these viking god things which is pretty weird but he is all for me being Atheist, I seriously don't think my mom knows but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't care.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:39 am
Rishima Lowell
I haven't told anyone but my friends that I'm Atheist, my grandma and uncle would throw a fit if they knew. But I have another uncle that believes in these viking god things which is pretty weird but he is all for me being Atheist, I seriously don't think my mom knows but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't care.
Asatru isn't weird, at least it's no more weird than any mainstream monotheistic religion. XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:37 pm
My mother ended up finding out when I tried to buy a scientific book disproving God. She was aghast.
This was only a few months after I went to a week-long church camp. XD
Come to think of it, I'm going back there again soon.
It should be interesting with new perspective.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:26 pm
The only group of people I haven't come out to as an atheist is my extended family, both sides.

My dad's side is more religious than my mother's, by far. He's a hardXcore atheist, like myself, and I find it sad that his mother doesn't know. If she knew, however, she'd probably flip xd His late father was a Presbyterian preacher, so I'm sure that's something to do with it. I hope I can meet my dad's side, since they live on the opposite side of the country. And when it comes down to it, I really don't give a crap if they think less of me for being an atheist. If they shun me, then they can go ******** themselves. I don't care if someone's in my family if they treat me like crap for no good reason.

My mom's side is less religious, although my grandma has become more religious as she's gotten older. I don't think my grandpa cares that much, but they both go to a Lutheran church and used to be Catholic. One of the funny things is my mom's late uncle was a Catholic preacher, and three of his six kids are gay rofl Two lesbians and one gay guy. I personally think that's fabulous and hope to get to know my mom's gay cousins a lot better =DDD I might try to get them to speak at a GSA meeting sometime about coming out in a religious family. 3nodding  

Teoka

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces