Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm forced to go to church..what do you think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pet Of Cinix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 pm
Tell them that you respect their religious beliefs and that it would be polite if they did the same  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:54 pm
I agree with MiniMink. Try to reason with them first. "I don't wanna go." Sounds like this to a Christian parent: "I just want to sleep in or be lazy or do other things." If your parents are anything like mine were, they honestly think they are doing what is the best for you. So sit down and explain your beliefs to them. Let them know that you appreciate their concern, but it is your life. You are you, not an extension of them. You have to believe in what makes you happy and you have to be responsible for you.

If things get dicey, just go along with it until you're 18. I went through the same thing when I was younger. You just have to suck it up and deal with it sometimes when you are a minor. Your parents are your boss when you are a minor, whether you like it or not. You don't have to believe anything that is being said. If anything it will help give support for your reasons not to believe. It's more mature of you to try to explain to them why you don't believe and, if they can't get it, then try to prevent too much conflict.

I hope everything works out for you!  

Rena Tsukino

Mistress Bella Muerte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 pm
My suggestion is, if they wont listen to you after you try and reason with them (assuming you follow the advice of the above posters), then don't just say you don't want to go. Refuse. Simply refuse to go. Don't leave the house. Even if they punish you. Resist. Physically resist, if you have to (but I doubt you will). That's how I eventually got out of going to church with my mom on Sundays. At first she was mad, and asked me "Why?" a lot. I can't remember if I had told her I was Atheist yet... Yeah, I had. And she still asked why. I was uncomfortable there, I told her. She still was upset. But after about a month or so of refusing to go, and her telling me "Fine, if you don't go you can't do anything else; no TV, no computer, blah blah blah etc.", she finally gave up, got used to it, and now every weekend, she wakes up early and goes to church without a fuss, and I stay home and do what I want. And when she comes home in the afternoon, we don't mention church. We go on as usual.

It's a good agreement, the one we have. (: And it's worth the turbulence.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff