Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
A Stab at Contemporary

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isianya

Aged Gaian

1,900 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 pm
While gathering together any traces of creative effort for my college entrance applications, I noticed that a lot of--many--okay, okay, all my stories have one theme, voice, and style. I know it's important to have a variety of styles and be able to write in more than one genre. So, I took a stab at a contemporary story.

Note: This is my first try so... be gentle. sweatdrop

The blood had been savagely splattered on the walls of the one-bedroom apartment since three o'clock that morning. Detectives Mallory and Camp of the New York Police Deparatment crossed under the yellow caution tape and stood in awe of the hideous scene. Jacob Mallory folded his arms against his chest and gave a long whistle. "Whadd'ya think, Camp?" he said.

"I think we have ourselves a serial killer," she said after running a hand through her long brown hair. She took a few steps toward the mass covered by a plain white sheet, bent down and threw the cloth back with one hand. Mallory turned away. "This is the fourth victim. All female - all with their faces hacked by this nut." She replaced the sheet and began to survey the apartment.

"It doesn't make any sense," he said after his stomach settled. "Victims' faces are mutilated to hide their identity. But -"

"But this apartment's filled with pictures, documents and all sorts of identification," she said, thumbing through the desk drawers. "The murderer didn't bother to remove so much as the driver's license. Look, it's still here. Right next to her keys." She tossed the flimsy piece of plastic to her partner after giving it a quick glance.

He studied the item carefully. "Sarah Conner," he cast a glance towards the corpse. "Age 19."

"Come on," she said flatly. "Let's get back to the station."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:42 pm
Ooh mutilated corpses! *poke*

Very very nicely done.  

KirbyVictorious

Isianya

Aged Gaian

1,900 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm
Thank you!

Yeah... I'm a huge Law and Order fan, so I guess that's where the whole crime scene came from. I thought it'd be easier my first try than to do some sappy teenage drama or angst-filled prose. I'll save that for a later try. Haha.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:13 pm
^^

Now remember, three critiques per post.  

KirbyVictorious

Isianya

Aged Gaian

1,900 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:08 pm
Alrighties. I'll get right on that. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:04 pm
Quote:
The blood had been savagely splattered on the walls of the one-bedroom apartment since three o'clock that morning. Detectives Mallory and Camp of the New York Police Deparatment crossed under the yellow caution tape and stood in awe of the hideous scene. Jacob Mallory folded his arms against his chest and gave a long whistle. "Whadd'ya think, Camp?" he said.

I don't know what it is. I really don't. But this paragraph just seemed weird to me. I don't know why. gonk

But I liked the rest of it. I hope you write lots more. surprised  

Reese_Roper

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:50 pm
I think it's because traditionally people speaking start new paragraphs.
I totally see the Law and Order in the piece (big fan here too).  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:56 pm
That could be it. I dunno. Knowing me, it'll come to me during the first half of Jazz Choir or something when I have no way of writing it down and will forget by the time I can.

Which Law and Orders do you watch? 'Round here, we mostly watch SVU.  

Reese_Roper

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:45 pm
Mostly CI and SVU.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:03 pm
You're brilliant with dialogue. I can picture that in my head perfectly. The word choice in the first sentence threw me off a bit.  

Voxxx

The Splendiferous Rufu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:16 pm
I liked the imagery and setup in the first two paragraphs.
But yeah, the first paragraph seems.. odd.. to me. >>; Don't know why either. :GONK: Sorry.

And.. I don't ..disagree with Vox, per se, but I think the dialogue is old. Used. Like... clearly inspired by Law & Order. XD; I don't mean to be cruel - everything else seems original - but yeah. I totally get why, though; you need inspiration from some source if you want to try something new.

Other than the dialogue, though, I liked it. O: Whatever is this sneaky serial boy up to?  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games