Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What Your Behavior Says About Your Atheistness.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of Atheist are you?
  Simply don't believe.
  Against religion/spirituality entirely.
  Against organized religion but not religious people.
  GOO GOO, GAA GAA. (aka "I just crapped my pants, hurrah.")
  Other.
View Results

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Hey, I just made a new word. Fabulous.

Obviously there are many different kinds of Atheists, as we don't have any kind of dogma or religious text. There are those who simply do not believe, those who are against spirituality on the whole, those who are against organized religion (I like to believe I fit into this category), those who crap their diapers and can't say a word (Infants go into this category), etc etc.

Not only is there a difference between our beliefs (or rather, lack thereof), but there is also a different in how we act in accordance with these beliefs. I, for one, don't really care about the religious, just the religion, so, in order not to be a major hypocrite, I don't bother people who do believe. If asked about my lack of a religious affiliation, I simply explain them in a non-threatening manner. If asked to go further, it will inevitably turn into an argument or debate-like conversation, so I will become a little more aggressive, prompting the person I'm talking with to explain why they choose to believe, and also doing my best to convince them of how illogical their reasoning is, as it is done in a debate. Though, this isn't to say I don't fight against the "religious right." Should I find myself or a fellow disbeliever, or even a religious person, being harassed by members of the god squad, I will fight for the right to choose a personal religion. Like I said, I'm against the organized religions, not the religious people themselves, as long as they're not being, for the lack of a better adjective, douche bags.

But that's just me, what about you, my fellow secular humanists? Does your behavior reflect your stance of religion/spirituality? Or rather, do you avoid the usual confrontation that occurs as a result your disbelief?

And as extra credit; what do you do when you see someone being insulted for their beliefs?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 pm
I disagree with the concept of organized religion. If you want to believe there's something more to this life than mere science alone, that's perfectly fine, but how can you honestly be certain that your faith is the right one out of all other denominations? The whole affair seems rather silly.

Kamigaro Inagram

Tchaik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:56 am
I also cannot say I'm fond of organized religion. Organization usually leads to political power, which is not good for a country of supposed religious freedom.

My behavior though, varies. I collect antique books, many of which are religious texts. I really enjoy studying religion, because to me, it's a study of human delusions.
If conversations turn to religion, I usually just discuss my opinions as they come up. I don't jump the gun and spew out fallacies of what the other person believes. Half my friends don't even know I'm atheistic, and some of them are even hard-core Christians. It's all about personal beliefs to me, so that shouldn't affect our friendship anyway.

I think the most I've ever done is a school project about separation of church and state. (and mind you, the friend who did it with me is a pretty strong Christian)

So, uh, yeah. That's how I feel about it. eek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:47 am
I'm all for belief and spirituality.
But as Tchaik said, organization leads to politics, and away from the essence of the thing.
I have been noted to be quite spiritual. Just not religious.

Superior Jazz

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 am
I'm not against religion or religious people. I'm all for people believing in whatever the hell they want, so long as they don't try to force their beliefs on everybody else.

I try to avoid confrontation when it comes to my beliefs. It's not that I can't argue for atheism - it's just that I'm lazy.

Surprisingly, I can't recall witnessing many incidents involving insulting someone's beliefs in public. I think the last one actually happened between me and an ex-friend when he called me a "Christian hater" in his MySpace blog and proceeded to urge our mutual friends to de-friend me.

I just ignored him and laughed. MySpace = serious business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:01 pm
In a world where people are quick to take one of a minority and stereotype the rest by it, I find it prudent to mindful of how I act. As an atheist, and a co-captain of an atheists guild, I tend to be tolerent of those around me who are theistic in nature. Being tolerent though is part of my nature.

I see no reason to treat people different for being a theist. I am against organized religion but I am also aware that there is not much I can do about it. I am tolerent to those who value their spirituality.

However it is a constant mental battle that can sometimes make me moody, dealing with how I have to keep my atheism quiet in order to have a peacable family life. Several members of my family are hateful towards atheism even though an atheist has never done them a single wrong.

I don't feel it fair how theists can flout thier religiousness, but people like me have to keep it low-key, and act as a model atheist so that I do not fuel a re-occuring unjust stereotype.

When I see someone online being insulted for thier beliefs I'll actually step up and stand up for that person. I cannot tolerate people being intolerent just because someone either chooses to believe in gods, or not believe in gods. It is how I am. I don't care what a person believes in, it doesn't give them the right to critisize others for having a belief that is different.

Sanguvixen

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:24 pm
CaprinaePsi
Hey, I just made a new word. Fabulous.

I used to use the made up word "Atheiosity." xd  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:46 pm
I just don't believe. My parents didn't raise me religiously, and I thought religion was just some quirky thing my grandparents did.

Praying to me meant saying 'Now I lay me down to sleep' when my grandmother put me to bed. When I got a bit older, it made me admit which boys in my class that I liked because I would include them.

I think the last time I actively prayed was after I saw this TV movie based on a real inflight tragedy. It felt really awkward and I felt really stupid for trying.

After that I didn't think about it again until I got into High School, where I was openly blasphemous. I had 'Fear Me Like You Fear Your God written on my school binder one year and I drew a series of JESUS PUPPET PALS comics about the importance of brushing you teeth and cleaning your crack pipe after every use.

Now, I just don't care. Religion is boring, and when I stop to think about it, it just doesn't seem plausible or interesting enough to learn about.

Xiporah

Zealous Blue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:11 pm
I don't flaunt my atheism. I don't flaunt being vegetarian, or a homosexual. Because all you do is get criticized, and even physical threats of violence, sadly enough.

Every once in a while I might post a blog reflecting my hate towards the ignorant side of religion, but mostly, I don't really care. People are people, and as I think the Catholic and Christian church have demonstrated for the past 2000 years or so, religion really has nothing to do with your personality. Some people are good, and some people are bad. It doesn't matter what religion or cult or group you're part of. I only dislike the ignorant and the extremist, or those who try to limit learning, or bring together church and state. I'm against organized religion. When church gains power and control, that's when corruption starts.

I grew up in agnostic household. My parents, I think, wanted me to beleive in god, but to me god was never any different than Santa. Oh, it's just some guy who gives you s**t for behaving well. Big whoop, my parents buy me tons of s**t too. But anyway, I somewhere realized along the way I wasn't like the average American who went to church and said their prayers, and then farther along the way realized I was atheist. So I just grew up accepting everybody, because that's what I was taught as a kid (my dad was Jewish as a kid. o.O; So strong emphasis on acceptance.) I've never ever pushed my beliefs upon others, though unfortunately others push their beliefs upon me. It's quite a tragedy that my own father who encouraged me to think for myself tells me that I'm not atheist and I only thing I am. I only argue when people try to force me to beleive in their god, but, you really can't have an intelligent debate with somebody who is irrational.

When I see other people being insulted, I'm usually just watch, and listen until I grasp the situation. Then I might step in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Yes, I think my behaviors reflect my thoughts. I don't like organized religion, but i have no problem with spiritual or religious people (btw, I see religious as believing in a higher power, and spirituality as just....like....zen or something clean feeling like that (different for eveyone, of course)....but they don't have to gohand in hand. I'm spiritual, not religious) They have a right to believe what they want, and if we tried to take that from them, we wouldn't be humanists. I go to a Unitarian church, where I feel a lot of the spirituality and openness (if you aren't familar with Unitarians, we're veeeeery open) without the whole "God is the Savior" deal. What I don't tolerate is intolerance. I hate hate (paradox much?) Separation of church and state should keep state out of church, not just the other way around. The ill that comes of organized religion comes with power, and when they take it to the state to change laws and make amendments sympathetic with their thoughts and such.  

Sagara-kun-Blue

Teoka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:35 pm
I do the same thing. I explain it, but if pushed further, I challenge their beliefs. What's the point of believing in something when you can't back it up? I don't see it as rude; my parents did it with me, and it helped me become a great speaker, IMO.

I have to admit, I really dislike religion. But I don't hate the religious people I know for being religious (specifically the Christian ones). I get frustrated on the off-chance religion is brought up, seeing as they obviously know very little about Christianity, especially when it comes to the hypocrisies of the Bible. stressed It's mind-bending how ignorant people can get...Spirituality, IMO, is silly, but better than religion.

I am very guilty of flaunting my atheism, just as much as I flaunt being an anime geek and bisexual, the latter not as much. xd It's too fun, especially when people ask about it >3  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 pm
Mostly, my response to pamphleteers is a simple 'yeahno.' However, sometimes in the course of my political work I come up against people of various religions. In that case, it is not me-as-atheist that argues against them, but me-as-communist. In that case however, it is not me tring to convince them that they are wrong, but me trying to show the new recruits of the various competing leftist groups that, in short, I am a more consistent communist than the leaders of their organisation.

As Teoka said: What's the point of believing in something when you can't back it up?

Not just that, but what right do you have to any views if you are not convinced of their correctness, and therefor of the incorrectness of all other views?  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces