Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Expelled Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:20 pm
Steel-Avatar
Sanguvixen
*Snipped for length control*

This made me have second thoughts about screwing with theists. I'd try it myself, but I put too much money into my gaia. Thanks for posting this, I could imagine it's very true. Sounds very typical of your average theist to say, to expose their blind spot an leave a plethora of evidence. The bastards.

What do you have to gain really from trolling people online? Well, in internet terms the answer is nothing but temporary lulzs, and butt-hurt feelings on both sides.

You're welcome on the part of my posting what I did. I really would prefer to see people, especially atheists to stop attacking theists. Theists are already making themselves look bad. The zealots already do so much...we don't need to add more fuel to a fire that is already a huge inferno.

To expose a blind spot, to provoke, to use the reaction against your opponents, that is done by people of every group that has something to be against. It's not just theists who do this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:39 pm
Hmm, I just like how the theists desperately cling to what science has yet to answer and then place it delicately on a pedestal, claiming to all that it's irrefutable evidence of science being in the wrong. Quite silly, I say.  

Reichkovich

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:08 am
Reichkovich
Hmm, I just like how the theists desperately cling to what science has yet to answer and then place it delicately on a pedestal, claiming to all that it's irrefutable evidence of science being in the wrong. Quite silly, I say.
Most of them seem completely unable to understand that the burden of proof lies with them. My favourite mindset of theirs is summed up in the phrase, "Why play dice with eternity?" I counter that with, "Why should I pretend to believe in something with insufficient proof just in case it saves my own a**?" XD I don't hassle them about believing in their gods, nor do I think there's anything inherently wrong with theistic beliefs... I just happen not to have them. I expect the same courtesy from them without rampant conversion attempts.

Now, for Expelled... Richard Dawkins has an excellent blog entry covering the movie and the lack of ethics on the part of the movie's producers. Having no problem with theism, I also have no problem with people's personal belief in 'intelligent design,' but it doesn't belong in science classes, as it's not remotely scientific. Leave your ID to Sunday School and comparative religion classes. I counted a personal victory when I convinced my mother (finally) that ID is not science and therefore doesn't belong in biology class.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm
I'm not sure if anyone has read the Time article on the movie, but apparently he makes the same mistake as everyone else trying to take down the theory of evolution, that it is still a theory  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 pm
I read the article, but I don't recall that part of it. All I remember is him criticizing most atheist authors for being rude and condescending. Anyway...

I found a site that debunks the film: Expelled Exposed  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces