Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Readers' and Writers' Guild
Welcome! (PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kasi Karra
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:16 am
rofl We're all very happy to have you around Chris smile
If you post the first chapter in the writing:prose subforum I'd love to critique/edit it when I have a chance smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 am
Hello to you all, my name is James.
I live in Scotland and i love reading fantasy books.
My favourite author is Terry Pratchett because i love how he merges sillyness, comedy and fantasy together.
If im not reading im probably on the Xbox360 playing rpg's.  

Mystic Book Collection

4,400 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Kasi Karra
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm
oo Scottland, that's exciting.
We're glad to have you around James smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 pm
can I have this clarified for me? I can post as many chapters and pages as I want as long as they aren't all a single string of posts, and no chapters that are "too long" as you say, right?
currently my book is 70 or so pages long, and I REALLY REALLY need people to harshly critic it, and it is going to be super long, and I am only on chap 7 right now.
If not it's in my journal, and it will be updated there every week on a random day, but I intend to post here as I finish chapters. Non of my chapters are too long, no more than 14 pages and no less than 5, I think. But I can post it here as I go right? Also another difference between here and my journal is my journal my also have "fillers" instead of a chapter post that week, these fillers have something to do with the story, but won't be in the book.  

Jake Hellstorm

Generous Sex Symbol

5,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kasi Karra
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:11 pm
o.o 14 pages is a lot (unless you're using 2 inch margins, double spacing everything and added an extra space between paragraphs with 24 size font smile )

My suggestion would be to post chapter 1 in the writing:prose subforum and mention that you would like a beta reader. Since the guild isn't overly active because it's summer I'm the only Beta reader around, but Priestess of Neptune and Lux (didn't want to spell out his entire username and butcher it sweatdrop ) will probably/hopefully rejoin us from time to time in the fall when school starts again.

If I get a bit of free time I'll try to remember to pm you and have you email me a copy of your story and then reply with a critique smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 pm
cool beans, and no I use book font and sizes and all that stuff, as in paper back books. ^_^ so its like 10pnt font and I dont remember the exact spacing or margin lines or any of that, but it fits more stuff on one page, It really helps because the way I usually make my books is like old dragonlance style, where its all very discriptive and I try and fit a whole world on each page. Actually I think this book Is my least descriptive one yet O_O
Either way I know I don't have any more pages per chapter than 14, and chapter 1 is pretty short, actually most of my chapters are short, actually nvm....chapter 4 ends at the top of page number 18 for that chapter...lol...and 6 ends at its 12th page, my shortest one so far is chapter 3 with 6 pages, second shortest is 5 with 7 pages, then 1 has 9 pages, 2 has 10 pages, dang...I was just counting them lol, anyways...I was going to add more into chapter 4...I guess I may want to instead split it and add the extra as another chapter, maybe I could cut chapter 4 in half, and then make a chapter 5 with the other half of 4 and the new extra half...
well anyways, thanks for tellin' me ^_^ I have alot to think about now, because the new material for chap 4 would add like 5 pages...but its needed material... maybe Ill add it as an extra chapter later as the character explains to the main guy about that stuff...there we go ^_^ because you brought up 14 pg's being alot, I now have a new idea! Thank you!!!  

Jake Hellstorm

Generous Sex Symbol

5,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

0drizzt0

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 am
Oh hello. I'm super new here. I love to read R.A. Salvatore. I have recently been reading Max Brooks books like zombie guide and world war Z. I'm excited about posting on this guild. I wish there was more of a sub forum for posting writings ready fro criticism. Thanks see you guys around later.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff