Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Fat is beautiful? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PrezarioKaiser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm
PickleBoy
Prezario... you made no sense to me. eek You're like... saying one thing and then another but then backtracking and saying something else.

...what?

Alright, what I was attempting to get across (before I... did all that) was that shallowness should be expected and not taken to heart. Appearance is all people have to judge you by until they get to know you. If you aren't aesthetically appealing, what's there to pull them into your personality?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 pm
I am fat. Just...fat. Completely and totally fat.

I'd like to point something out that drives me INSANE: Obese doesn not necessarily mean fat. Obese means having more body fat than muscle. Therefore, most models are obese because they work out just enough to be slim, but not enough to be muscular.

That aside.

I know many people that are overweight, but sexy as all hell. Take Queen Latifa for example. She is hugely overweight, but she is one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen in my entire life. It's all about how you hold yourself and making sure that you wear clothes that hide the icky parts and exentuate the good parts.

Being stupidly skinny is not healthy. You get cold easily because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs in order to produce body heat. For women, you need to have something like 7% body fat in order to have a menstrual cycle. Girls like Lindsay Lohan probably don't meet that requirement, and therefore do not have a period. No period means no pregnancy. If you want kids, you can't be too skinny otherwise you can't get pregnant. There are tons of health risks associated with being underweight, probably just as many as with being overweight.

The media and fashion and all that other useless s**t has seriously f**ed with the minds of people these days, especially young girls, and it bothers me. Now, I am a size 18 pant. I completely agree that that is plus size. But what really gets my goat is that walking into addition elle or some other plus size store, you see size 14. Yes, plus size begins at size 14. That is not fat, people, that is normal. What ever happened to the days way back when when it was perfectly acceptable, in fact encouraged, for a woman to be a size 14?

I know it's not just women that face the obstacles of being overweight, but I am a women so I can't really speak for what a man goes through.

You just need to look at some areas of yourself. If your entire family is overweight, chances are you will be too, and there is nothing you can do about it. I know personally, my entire family is very overweight. I have come to the realization that I am going to be overweight no matter what I do. All I can do is watch what I eat, and learn to love what I have. I can still lead a perfectly normal life and be happy and in love and all that other stuff. It just all depends on your outlook of your situation.

I do not look down at people that are overweight, because that would mean looking down at myself. I understand how hard it is to lose weight, because I have been struggling with it for years. It's not easy, there are medical issues that can cause it, etc etc. I don't know everything about everybody. When I see an overweight person on the bus, I have no way of knowing if that person is truly a fat lazy slob, or if they have a thyroid issue, or if they have been trying to lose the weight, or if, in fact, they have lost weight and this just happens to be a size that they are comfortable with in comparison to what they were. I do not know these people, so who am I to judge?

That's just my 2 cents.

Wiccan Clarinet

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:47 am
I'm a 239lb. female. I know how you feel. Every time I gained weight, I was depressed and didn't care.

Every time I cared, I'd attempt to work out when i felt like it and end up maintaining my weight for a year or so. Then some crap would happen in my life that would depress me again and I would pack on more pounds.

I've started working out and eating a bit more healthy recently. I've lost weight (I was around 250) and people are noticing. People I haven't seen in a month or so are doing doubletakes and saying something to be about it. I love it.

I eat a lot of Oatmeal, mostly because I am poor now and it's cheap, but but IT'S ALSO GREAT FOR YOUR HEART AND HEALTHY. Plus it's yum. Good thing I like Oatmeal. And I am picky. I like the stovetop oatmeal. Not the microwave instant kind that comes in a bazillion sugary flavors. Old fashioned stovetop kind has a better consistancy.

I've also been trimming fat from the meats I prepare. It's kind of annoying, but I get into it with an almost OCD quality and fling it into the kitchen sink.

I have no clue where I am going with this.

Ummm. Most of my wardrobe is black with splashes of crazy color or pattern, but most is black probably because I am an ex goth kid and still lean that way when I shop. I'm pale as hell too and I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:59 am
Wait, wait, wait.

Miss Clarient...the excuse that "My whole family is overweight, so I am overweight, and there is nothing I can do about it" does not hold water, ever. It is not a thing you should ever tell anyone, even yourself.

If you are overweight, and your family is overweight, chances are there is something you can do about it, and it's not called giving up.

I'm not overweight. My family for the most part is. My mother is overweight. My step-father is overweight. My father is overweight. 2 of my 3 aunts is overweight, and so far love of food killed one of them.

But, I am not overweight, and my younger brother is not overweight. Neither is my older brother. Each of us have done things for ourselves so that we are not like our family. My brother is very active in sports. I moderate what I eat, and I am becoming more active, and currently am enrolled in Martial Arts. Now that I have the perfect schedule I'll be DDRing 2 days a week, and doing the Martial Arts warm-ups before I DDR. My older brother, is a construction worker, so he burns off anything he takes in.

You see, I didn't just stand back though, throw up my hands and say "Well! It's in my family! There is nothing I can do!" That's called giving up, and anyone who knows me, knows that I don't give up on anything easliy. I know giving up is not looking at the real problem. Already one of my family members died young due to being severly overweight. What is sad is that I never got a chance to meet her. They say she was a jolly person loved by all, but she just wouldn't stop eating. Her love of food is what killed her. What worries me is that my mother is gaining so much weight, and I'm afraid that by the time I reach my 30's she'll be dead because weight related issues.

A lot of people are downplaying the problem with obesity in America and while it is true that the media is sporting an unhealthy view of what is "beautiful". It is also true that more and more families in America are living unhealthy live styles, eating unhealthy, and being inactive, and passing on that way of life to thier children, who in turn continue the bad cycle.

It astounds me now, going outside, into my area, and seeing just how many people are either really obese, or on thier way to being morbidly obese, or are already there. I remember a co-worker that I worked with several summers back. She was useless because she was so overweight. She was also severly lazy and pissy. She was in bad shape, and had no business trying to join a thing that would require her to be on her feet most of the day, working in heat, and moving heavy stuff. The rest of us has to pick up the slack because she hardly did anything at all, and if anyone asked her to get up and do something she'd throw a hissy fit. When she wasn't busy biting off the heads of other people, she was going on and on about all the food her family eats. She was in one of my classes last semester. She's younger than me by several years, and already she is pushing beyond at least 300 pounds.

She's not the only one. Take one trip out to the mall, and watch the traffic, and you will be amazed at how many families are severly obese. You see couples pushing beyond 300 pounds of extra fat, and thier children are not yet 10 and they are already nearing 150 to 200 pounds. It's cruel what those kids must go through in life.

When I worked at a number of boys and girl's clubs, it was obvious there too, a problem was getting worse with weight. Especially with the middle aged kids.

I think people should not look to this problem, and see it as a result of pure laziness. They should not critisize those who have weight problems because the issue is all over the country. Critisizing people for it, doesn't help make things better. It just makes things worse. America has begun to trade longevity for short lived convience filled lifestyles. It's killing the current generation.

If a person is overweight, and is okay with it, than fine. However, when someone has children, they have a responsibility to teach those kids certain things so that they can grow up to be productive citizens. By not teaching them healthy eating habits, and the importance of playing and physical activity at home, they are killing their kids.

It makes me sad, very sad. To see these kids, who are so overweight, and the parents, they do nothing. It's in their family, so what. That's they're fate. They teach thier children that.

There might be some rare genetic thing in your family Miss Clarinet. I don't know you in real life. There could be a real reason, medical, that stops your family from losing weight. However, for a good number of familes that is not the case. To say "it's in my family, and there is nothing I can do about it" makes me really sad because I hear that being said by so many people, and in reality there is something they can do. They just have to have the will power to do it. They have to realize, there is something they can do.

If I didn't take control of my life early on when it came to eating, and activity, I'd probably be pushing over 200 pounds right now. I looked at my entire family, who carries way too much extra weight, put my foot down, and set no, that is not happening to me. I think other people, if they were to do the same, they'd be amazed at what they can accomplish.

As for carrying weight well, that is true that there are some people out there who are carrying much weight, but they carry it well. The way they carry it, yes they do look pretty. They still are putting themselves at risk though, some of them, for conditions that will lead to early death later on.

Coming to terms with what is healthy for your body means coming to terms with reality. You have to look at your height, and your stature, and look at what you eat, and look at how you spend your spare time. It's not enough to eat healthy anymore. You have to live healthy by finding a way to get semi-active so that your metabolism doesn't go into a slump.

Oops, wall of text, but I have a lot to say on the issue of weight because it is something I have to deal with the rest of my life. My family already has weight issues, and I know that if I am not careful I will end up just like them.

It's little things like that, which makes a big difference. Giving up though, even if you have medical issues, well, that is the same as telling the Grim Reaper, hey, I'm be there for you around 40 or 50.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:15 am
On the issue of being "stupidly skinny" you do realize that some people out there have such a high metabolism, that no matter how much they eat, they are not gaining weight.

They go through hell in life because of it. People assume they are starving themselves thin, and try to force them to gourge themselves until they are sick, just because they can't understand that medical issues can also make people really thin.

I have a friend who is like that, and she eats just as much as I do, but she's very tall, very thin, and her blood tempetarue isn't normal because her body won't store fat. She still has a menstrual cycle though. She ensures that even if her body won't store fat, at least it'll get all the nutrients it needs.

You go on and on about it's unfair for the weight those who carry extra weight are treated Miss Clarinet, but do not forget that people on the other side of the scale have it bad too, because they want to gain weight, but they can't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm
I am overweight, and have tried to do something about it. It's just hard when you want to lose weight fast and can't. However, other than my weight, I am a healthy person (aside from my migraine headaches).

On a side note, even though I have no self-esteem because of my weight, I still get irritated to hell when an obese person comes through the drive-thru at my work (a pharmacy). I never use drive-thrus. I figure the more walking I do, the better. It just makes me angry when people don't even try to help themselves. Most are on blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and diabetes medication, too. Is it so hard to walk from your car into a building? Maybe if you had done it more often you wouldn't have to take all that s**t.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm
Wiccan Clarinet
Obese doesn not necessarily mean fat.

No, it means MORE than fat. It means "tank-a**". It means I need to use a crane to lift you. It means if you jumped into the ocean you'd flood New York city with ocean water like a meteor crash. Obese is beyond fat.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 am
Wwwwooooooowwww.... So we have people on all sides of the scale then... thats interesting.

Speaking of fat, I watched a show called "Fat Pets" and it took a look at some of the biggest pets in Britian. Thats just sad. Of course, it made my little persian kitty look like a tiny thing, but in reality, he's a chunky monkey. Not my cat really, he's my brother's, but whatever.  

PickleBoy

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 am
Were those corpses..LOL jk jk..

Yeah Val is gorgeous, So is...(Really good example) Queen Latifia (sp) Shes large but a very gorgeous person.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 am
PickleBoy
Wwwwooooooowwww.... So we have people on all sides of the scale then... thats interesting.

Speaking of fat, I watched a show called "Fat Pets" and it took a look at some of the biggest pets in Britian. Thats just sad. Of course, it made my little persian kitty look like a tiny thing, but in reality, he's a chunky monkey. Not my cat really, he's my brother's, but whatever.

Hey, if he likes you and spends time with you and you enjoy his company, he's your pet too.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:57 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
PickleBoy

Hey, if he likes you and spends time with you and you enjoy his company, he's your pet too.

I take him to the vet, give him professional grooming and blah, but he will never be my cat.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 am
PickleBoy
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
PickleBoy

I take him to the vet, give him professional grooming and blah, but he will never be my cat.

No... he's actually YOUR cat, seeing as you do all the fricking work taking care of him. Claim manifest destiny and screw what your brother says. He's more yours than your brothers will ever be.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm
I don't want him as my cat. He's really annoying. He pooped in my shower. GAH!

Back on topic... So, now that we've found that some people think fat is fat and some think fat is disgusting... What are some people's favorite ways of working out? Mine is swimming or hiking.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff